My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Congratulations :) What is it?

Rant: Car insurance. First time driver, being insured on my own in my 1996 1.25 Fiesta is about £4000, as a named driver, £2100. If I was to buy this: Car Insurance would be £1700 as a named driver. Why?

If you're a new driver, don't go on your parents' insurance as a named driver.

Firstly if you're more than an occasional driver and you're like that, then you are not insured. If the insurance company believe you're actualy the main driver and you're just fronting, then they'll demand you pay the full premium anyway.

Secondly you aren't building no claims discount.

Much better to have your mother (assuming she's been driving for donkeys' years and has full NCB) as a named driver on your insurance. That can bring your premium down considerably and she doesn't actually need to drive the car.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or:

Don't get any insurance at all and then go out and crash your horrible little *suitcase* box of a car into my car.

Then leg it.

Then deny everything when the police catch you.

Then get found guilty but only loose your license.

Then fight me through the civil courts for 4 years.

Then (when you loose) claim to have no money to compensate me at all and (basically) get let off.

Justice is awesome.

Or:

Don't get any insurance at all and then go out and crash your horrible little *suitcase* box of a car into my car.

Then leg it.

Then deny everything when the police catch you.

Then get found guilty but only loose your license.

Then fight me through the civil courts for 4 years.

Then (when you loose) claim to have no money to compensate me at all and (basically) get let off.

Justice is awesome.

Yup, it's like with road tax, £115 for 6 months, £205 for 12 or whatever it is now. There is no reason why they can't accept monthly payments via direct debit, which are a damn site easier to afford, and therefore reduce the number of cars without it and therefore without MoT or insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

*fruitcage* idiotic Royal *fruitcage* Fail. Got home from work and stayed up later than usual waiting for a package that I'd ordered the day before with Guaranteed Evening Delivery off Amazon. Guaranteed, eh?

My

*fruitcage*

*albartroth*

I feel like *suitcase* now. I don't sleep well at the best of times, so time for an angry e-mail or two...

*fruitcage* idiotic Royal *fruitcage* Fail. Got home from work and stayed up later than usual waiting for a package that I'd ordered the day before with Guaranteed Evening Delivery off Amazon. Guaranteed, eh?

My

*fruitcage*

*albartroth*

I feel like *suitcase* now. I don't sleep well at the best of times, so time for an angry e-mail or two...

So go back to Amazon and claim your money back under the terms of the guarantee. That's what it means - it doesn't mean your item will *DEFINITELY* arrive on time, but if it does not, you will be able to claim compensation.

So stop whining to us and go whine to the people who can actually do something about it! :P

The mass media in this country creating yet ANOTHER health scare, and the resulting ignorant *fruitcage*wits who come into my work having a go at ME because they listened to the redtops' fearmongering about the flu jab before Christmas and didn't get it.

Now the tabloids have decided there's no more mileage in the 'evil vaccine' angle, so have resorted to the traditonal 'OMG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE' after just 50 people have popped their clogs. It's goddamn irresponsible, it's not representative of the realities of the case at all, and I have better things to do with my day than tell reporters to *fruitcage* off.

So glad I'm going back to being a student in two weeks time so I can be loathed for a reason for a change ;)

fed up with living in england went to fill van up with diesel £1.33 a litre nice one pm with yeh vat increase half a tank cost £65

Sell van, buy old PSA one in good nick with a 1.9TD and a Bosch pump, run on WVO for 40ppl or less.

Talking of PSA vehicles, on of mine is parked off the road, back wheels are on the drop kerb, road is 3.5 cars widths wide. Dopey prat in small Volvo over the road reverses out and "because the road is so tight" reversed into my parked car and broke it's bumper.

When my gf got home, he came across and said he'd scratched the bumper, so I had a look when i got home, saw the damage and went over to be reasonable and say I would be happy to get a 2nd hand bumper and have it resprayed at his cost rather than claim off his insurance which would of course cost him a lot more.

He started ranting about how tight the road was, how my next door neighbours "know" not to park directly across from him, and how my car was "parked half on the road"

I just said "You broke my car, you'll pay for the repairs, either through replacing the bumper and respraying it, or through your insurance"

"Oh well, as long as it's not more than £50" so it looks like he'll be getting a shock from his insurance company.

The mass media in this country creating yet ANOTHER health scare, and the resulting ignorant *fruitcage*wits who come into my work having a go at ME because they listened to the redtops' fearmongering about the flu jab before Christmas and didn't get it.

Now the tabloids have decided there's no more mileage in the 'evil vaccine' angle, so have resorted to the traditonal 'OMG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE' after just 50 people have popped their clogs. It's goddamn irresponsible, it's not representative of the realities of the case at all, and I have better things to do with my day than tell reporters to *fruitcage* off.

So glad I'm going back to being a student in two weeks time so I can be loathed for a reason for a change ;)

ATTRACTIVE WHITE MIDDLE CLASS GIRL MURDERED. UNANSWERED QUESTIONS: WHAT TOPPING WAS THE PIZZA? CIDER: MAGNERS OR BULMERS? HAVE YOU SEEN A SOCK? A GIRL IS DEAD BUT THAT WON'T STOP US FROM TURNING IT INTO A GROTESQUE SOAP OPERA MASQUERADING AS PUBLIC INTEREST - all front pages, of all newspapers, all of last week.

That poor girl gets murdered and the first thing the press goes hell bent for leather to do, is to *fruitcage* up the court case, before it has even started or have a definitive suspect. Way to go media.

Rant:- Having to sort out stuff to make way for baby stuff. No longer is the back bed room a place to store lego and childish things. I've chucked out my pistol boxes, as I will never sell them (Except my marui desert eagle) and the boxes arn't that attractive any way. Going to get rid of a load of comics, books and lego. Already had a big chuck out of star wars toys and star wars lego, now I have to get rid of a lot more. Depressing.

On a happier note, got a free drumstick sweet off of land warrior today with my order, was well chufffed. ;)

Here's a hypothetical :whistling: question: what would you do if a good friend of yours owed $400 to someone who was threatening to beat him up?

Say "tough *suitcase*" and hope he learns his lesson? Help him out?

Suppose you can give him the money without any trouble and can trust him to pay you back... but he owes the money to a drug dealer, and you'd be bailing him out of a stupid mistake?

Is it more important to send the right message or to keep him from getting hurt? Is it impossible to do both?

:diablo::innocent:

I don't think it should be about if you can afford it or if he can pay you back. Its the moral side of the situation you should look at. How does he owe a drug dealer that money? Lets say it was a one off mistake of lending money off the drug dealer, then fine. But if he owes it due to buying drugs, then best not to get involved (As they won't learn, been there done that. I've helped ex-mates out in the past and they never learned).

It wouldn't be the fail, they don't do evening deliveries.Unless they have started?I've got nothing to be angry about since I have had a bit of good news.

They've started. When I rang them, it was called Royal Mail Same Day. What's your good news?

So go back to Amazon and claim your money back under the terms of the guarantee. That's what it means - it doesn't mean your item will *DEFINITELY* arrive on time, but if it does not, you will be able to claim compensation.So stop whining to us and go whine to the people who can actually do something about it! :P

When you wake up at 4 to be in work for 7 and then get home 12 hours later, it very much limits how many phone calls etc you can make. However, I did manage to contact Royal Mail myself, found out what had happened (useless *fruitcage* driver didn't bother trying to find my address properly and claimed it didn't exist), rearranged a delivery complete with my mobile number attached to the package, AND got myself a refund off Amazon. Bit of a result, but I really was looking forward to playing with my new DSi XL :(

When you wake up at 4 to be in work for 7 and then get home 12 hours later, it very much limits how many phone calls etc you can make. However, I did manage to contact Royal Mail myself, found out what had happened (useless *fruitcage* driver didn't bother trying to find my address properly and claimed it didn't exist), rearranged a delivery complete with my mobile number attached to the package, AND got myself a refund off Amazon. Bit of a result, but I really was looking forward to playing with my new DSi XL :(

How will you find time to play with your DSi if you don't have enough to make a few phone calls? :P

On topic! And also back a page... I've managed to fiddle with the settings on Confused.com and got my insurance as a named driver down to £1200 on the Fiesta and £1300 on a 3.2l Jag. But I've discovered on a Mercedes C180 it's £1000 and that's the cheapest I've found so far. So I'm getting one of them :lol:

Elrey, I'd say hang him out to dry. It's all down to personal responsibility, if your going to get into debt with someone dodgy then you should expect repercussions. As Habakure posted, if you bail them out they won't learn and will do it again

What's your good news?

I bought a Honda S2000 from a salvage yard with the intention of rebuilding it as a project.

It was sold as having a "seized" engine so I fully expected to have to do pistons, rings, liners (a pain because in the S2K they are FRP), and possibly the crank bearings, timing chain and even valve train depending on the severity of the seize.

Over the last month I have been doing little jobs and over the holiday I took the head off.

There is no damage to the liners or pistons, the rings are holding pressure and I have discovered that the only problem is a slightly warped head and valves not seating properly.

I have had the head pressure tested and skimmed and I could basically put it all back together now, re-seat the valves and have a working car (£7,000 value) for £2,500 spent.

I had budgeted quite a lot to repair the engine and as it happens the exact exhaust I would have upgraded to and the standalone engine management system I wanted both came up for sale second hand at extremely reasonable prices in the last 2 weeks.

On top of that I have had nothing but good luck working on the car, no stuck bolts anywhere.

Then my friend the mechanic tells me that he might have the exact cold air intake I want in his attic from when a customer ordered it but didn't want it.

As for the drug dealer guy, I don't know. Probably best not to lend him the money.

If you know he is good for it then why doesn't he just pay the dealer back?

He needs to take responsibility for his actions.

That seems unlikely, very few people ever agree with my suggestions.... <_<

Just because you're usually wrong doesn't mean you're automatically wrong, only that it's more likely. In this case, your idea is amusing, teaches the guy a lesson and deals with the drug dealer, trifecta!

Archived