My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

The most annoying part is spending all day constructing my side of a conversation I need to have with someone... only to forget it all and revert to a beta personality when it actually comes to the speaking!

Exactly! I can spend hours planning a conversation I might want to have with someone but that also involves guessing what their replies might be which means it never works out, and would require me to be a confident enough to actually say the things in the first place... I often misinterpret peoples actions and will get either very passive aggressive towards them, or just depressed. The most annoying thing is I know I do this, but I still do.

EDIT: Also, I overuse certain words or phrases as well as repeating phrases other people have said recently in a conversation without realising it, if I try to vary things, I just end up getting stuck and not being able to articulate properly. Eg. "The most annoying part/thing" It didn't register that you'd written that, I only noticed that that was probably why I wrote it when I was rereading my post...

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone on Arnie's has Asperger's! Yay! :unsure:

Although obsessing about things can be useful sometimes... I've always been fat, I was just never bothered until a couple of months ago I decided I was, I've lost 3 stone since then (and got myself a nice list of everything I've eaten/drunk since November the 13th :lol:) and I've decided to make it 4 and a half by my birthday in March which should be easy :)

Any psychiatrists on Arnie's? :lol:

A few weeks ago I was convinced I had Dependant Personality Disorder, the symptoms still fit, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependent_personality_disorder#DSM-IV Seems to be a definition of me... Anyone know if the two are linked or am I just being a hypochondriac (if there is such a thing for mental illnesses...)?

For most of my life, I spent countless hours away from other kids in school in speech therapy and went to several facilities. I had grown up believing I simply had a speech problem like most people do with certain letters/words. I didn't/couldn't talk to other kids, some years I babbled incoherently, other times when I thought I was speaking clearly others just heard me mumbling. I was completely off in terms of social capacity. When applying for a local college scholarship about a year ago, one of the questions pertained to any struggles I've overcome in my life. When I asked my folks how to explain my childhood, they told me something I had not known my whole life.

Due to complications at birth, a sort of brain stem had not fully developed, and as a result, I was diagnosed with a form of aphasia (I believe it may have been Acquired childhood aphasia, but I'm unsure of the distinct form). The folks had tests run at MSU, some neurologist was brought in, and the doctors told my parents that I would most likely never be able to talk. For example, I babbled incoherently while most people were learning their first words. My folks were told though by the speech therapists they had come visit me during those first few years not to give up hope, and with constant attention and daily sessions, I began my first words at age 5-6. Although I struggled throughout my childhood, I developed over time to deal with my speech issues, but still kept a distance from others due to my emotional issues brought about by my problems.

After all these years, even though I still have issues talking at times and my social skills are not on level with most people, (I tend to think so fast that I lose control in conversations, along with emotional issues) I am able to function in society as well as others, and most people couldn't tell that I was any different.

The point made by all this: Don't despair/give up/try to change anything because of what you think others may think of you. It never pans out well, as I have learned, and still continue to learn. I'm grateful to all the individuals that helped me when I was young, and I got to personally thank the main person who made a difference in my life at the scholarship dinner, as it turned out she was a committee member.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphasia) for those who've never heard of aphasia.

I have a very mild version so it doesnt affect my life on a minute to minute basis, but its annoying. I have to put everything in order.

The most annoying part is spending all day constructing my side of a conversation I need to have with someone... only to forget it all and revert to a beta personality when it actually comes to the speaking!

You too, eh? My girlfriend used to work with autistic kids (she's a befriender in the National Austistic Society and meets up with a girl with Asperger's every week or so to help get her out and about), and she got a little suspicious about some of the ways I do things, so she made me take a test, and it pretty much turned out I had a mild form of the higher functioning Asperger's. Not enough to get a definite diagnosis from a doctor, but enough that it shows. I don't go around advertising it, I've just come to the point where I recognise it in myself and either control it to a degree or acknowledge it and move on. If you like, I can ask her to locate the link to the online quiz I took so you can get a better understand of where you are on the spectrum? I'll pop my results up too so you can have a wee look.

EDIT: Just dug it out of my e-mails, here you go. May as well throw it out there for everyone else to have a look at too.

Guys, as a psychologist in training I'd like to point out that self-diagnosis is dangerous and often inaccurate due to the high chances of a positive psychosomatic feedback loop. If you're honestly worried, go see a doctor or a chartered psychologist and they will tell you what's up.

Darklite I find the idea of you as a psychologist frankly terrifying :P

But yeah, very good point.

Riverstyxx, lay off the weed bud. That *suitcase* does not help one bit, trust me. I felt so much better about life after I stopped, and when I cut out my drinking as well it helped my mental state no end. At least go see someone?

If you're honestly worried, go see a doctor or a chartered psychologist and they will tell you what's up.

I had decided I would last night when I was feeling depressed about various things... Now I've had a chance to talk to my best friend I feel normal again :) Next time I feel I need to see a Doctor, I think I will, just so he can tell me nothing's wrong. Or, if something is, it would definitely be better to know for sure rather than trawling through random websites for symptoms, as you say, the psychososomethingorother feedback loops might get me! I understand entirely :D

Delayed sleep phase disorder + dropping out of school + smoking too much pot = failed relationship + unemployment + abandonment by life-long 'friends' + depression + smoking even more pot + self loathing. :mellow:

[/self pity]

Or, to summarise: Taking drugs = bad, m'kay? :waggle:

Guzzi, you and I have a very similar manifestation of symptoms.

I didn't realise what I had even had a name until my wife pointed it out.

I just thought I was an *albartroth*.

Luckily along with all the trouble interacting with people and a near impossibility empathising with them I developed a nice superiority complex and hatred for most people.

All it means is people still think I'm and *albartroth* but I don't give a *fruitcage*.

As long as I'm happy I don't give a monkey's about anything else and if stacking things up and putting them in order makes me happy then so be it.

Luckily along with all the trouble interacting with people and a near impossibility empathising with them I developed a nice superiority complex and hatred for most people.

All it means is people still think I'm and *albartroth* but I don't give a *fruitcage*.

I like the way you think, buddy. Couldn't agree more. The opinions of the worthless peons that surround you mean nothing. They're just wrong.

Or, at least, that's what I think.

Kyrian Zenda - thanks for posting that quiz :) I appreciate it!

My result...

Your Aspie score: 165 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 32 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie

I have spoken to a (well, professed...) doctor in the US for about an hour and a half and he said that while he couldn't possibly diagnose me on the phone, that I should seek at least a confirmation of Asperger's. He also said that a true diagnosis could take years, or even forever.

Amateur... the only part of that I dont get myself is the feeling of superiority. Sometimes I do, I feel that whatever task I have chosen as my speciality, I am completely superior... but in other ways I am very self-debasing.

For example... I was in a kart race with friends from the former Unreal Airsoft site, and won pole and the race. I would have never forgiven myself if I hadn't won... I *expected* to, maybe eveb demanded it of myself. And yet for the 2 hours afterwards, I was apologising to everyone else for winning...!

I like the way you think, buddy. Couldn't agree more. The opinions of the worthless peons that surround you mean nothing. They're just wrong.

No you guys are right. We have just evolved beyond most silly emotions, and the plebs have felt the need to diagnose it as a mental disorder to make themselves feel better. Keep the faith brothers

Your Aspie score: 135 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

That was my score on the test. I found the questionaire to be very open and hard to give a definitive yes or no answer (Sometimes, depends on the mood I'm in, came to mind on a fair few answers).

Delayed sleep phase disorder + dropping out of school + smoking too much pot = failed relationship + unemployment + abandonment by life-long 'friends' + depression + smoking even more pot + self loathing. :mellow:

[/self pity]

Seems like you know it already, but cutting out the pot smoking might help you with some of those issues. It sure as hell helped me with a few of them.

Kyrian Zenda - thanks for posting that quiz :) I appreciate it!

My result...

Your Aspie score: 165 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 32 of 200

No worries man. It helped give me quite a bit of peace of mind when I took it, explained a hell of a lot, but like the doc explained to you, it can be very difficult to get it diagnosed, since no 2 doctors will give you the same diagnosis (unless you're classically severe, in which case it'd be obvious to everyone around you and you'd likely already have been diagnosed...). I had it explained to me that it's like a spectrum, it's not that you either have it or you don't. I'm only a mild Aspie, which likely means I'll never get it diagnosed, but I don't mind. At least now I know about it, and can understand that that is why I act the way I do. I don't need or want help for it, because whilst it does hold me back somewhat, it's not severe enough for me to really call it a disability.

Anyway, here are my own results (re-took it yesterday and somehow I'm more autistic now than I was when I first took the test nearly a year ago... :S)

Your Aspie score: 146 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200

Your Aspie score: 135 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

That was my score on the test. I found the questionaire to be very open and hard to give a definitive yes or no answer (Sometimes, depends on the mood I'm in, came to mind on a fair few answers).

Aye, if you know what the symptoms of it are, it can be quite easy to fudge the test. My girlfriend showed me once, managed to give herself quite a high Aspie score simply because she knows what characterizes the Syndrome and has dealt with Aspies in the past (and now lives with one :P)

Archived