My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

New Rant: ROYAL MAIL

frickin useless

my pay day was 21st of january and i ordered a whole host of airsoft kit (some im still waiting on from HK)

everything had notes left because i wasnt in, which is fine, except for my ESS goggles, there was no note

so i go and colelct everything else as the notes keep coming, then i chase the guy on ebay for these goggles, he gives me a tracking number which i look online for and it was attempted on the 22nd,

i trundle off down to the sorting office, explain i had notes for everything except these, and they've only gone and bloody well returned them???

Id been down there several times, surely they would of figured they were for me? or attempted again?

well narked me off

fortunately the seller seems to be a stand up guy and is posting them again free of charge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's RM for you.

I've had them come to deliver items to me, only for them to leave a note without even knocking on the door (I was in living room).

Had Parcel Farce do that aswell with some PC parts, when the dude put it thru the letter box, I opened the door and asked where the packagfe was: He didn't even bring it.

Time to add to the rant for RM:

I have sent about 60-70 eBay sale parcels in my time via RM, of which about 20 were DVDs and Xbox games. Now there track record is so far under 50% delivered within 2 days of posting with 1st Class (a service they say gets there 90% of the time on the next working day, *badger*s) and then i go and sell my copy of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, a rather rare game which i get a good price for and they go and lose it in the post, meaning i have to now go down to the post office and sort out a refund which i am unlikely to get as the last two i have had to claim they come up with a load of bull regarding.

And to those who will undoubtedly come on here and say 'well they are the only option' or 'they do a good service' they don't. I know they are the only place to deliver small items like letters and DVD's but it doesn't mean they can *fruitcage* it more than 50% of the time. If the nation is so desperate to fill up the unemployment gap, get them into working for Royal Mail and get it all moving again. How hard can it be to drive a car or ride a bike or even walk around and shove a few bits of paper through a hole in the front door? I did more work than that in a supermarket and got paid less on average.

'FireKnife'

I wouldnt want half the unemployed delviering my post if im honest

the amount of xmas cards that turned up with slits in was unreal this year, fortunately nobody sent me any monies or gift cards via post

the other option for companies is DX Mail, they do all the passports and tickets for ticketmaster plus many others, jsut not a mainstream company par se

more of a courier than a dedicated postal service, but does the job well enough

I went for an interview with them after applying online, got there and they said i should have printed off the filled in form and they couldn't interview me without it.

so much for applying online.

if they just hand out interviews regardless and make you bring in the application form to read then, why don't they just say so?

I was talking to the postman at work yesteday about those cards and why nobody awnsers the phone when you ring to arrange redelivery. He said they got rid of the people whos job it was to awnser and nobody else will as if you're seen doing it once you will be expected to do it all the time. This means all the sorting office staff have the attitude of "not my job so not my problem"

Also he said when a card is put through the door RM have fulfilled their contract to attempt deivery and technically don't have to do any more.

All in all the majority are lazy *Ubarflock* who could be replaced by trained monkeys

Also he said when a card is put through the door RM have fulfilled their contract to attempt deivery and technically don't have to do any more.

There in lies the basic problem, that modern attitude to work. Because i have done the basic amount that is asked of me i have done my job.

If we all thought like that we wouldn't have grades at school and university level as we would all just pass or fail and not bother to achieve better.

Personally it sounds to me it should be the opposite way around. Come up to the door knock once, wait 30secs, not 2secs and see if you get a reply, try again, if no reply then put in a card.

Think i might invent an incentive, next person who comes from Royal Mail to deliver a parcel that wont fit the slot i will wait and see if they bother to hang around after ringing the bell. If they bother to ring again or wait more than 10secs they get an offer of a piece of confectionry and a cup of tea / coffee. If they stick a card through within 10-15secs of ringing i open the door and tell them what a lazy *fruitcage* wit they are, which they can't do anything about as i am a resident of the house and thus over-rule them.

'FireKnife'

thats not to bad then, where abotus in hull you from? my dad used to live there and ran the local danby plumb centre, which is how i came to suppor hull city footy club as they used to sponsor them back in division 3 :D

My latest gripe:

Speeders or a certain variety, now myself speed quite often, but i dont condone it obviously

but im a sat on the motorway this morning, crusie control set at Xmph <-- i aint telling you!! and a MPV goes howling past me, the dude seriously must of been bouncing off the limiter, which normally wouldnt phase me as myself being a speeder i dont judge

but his car was full of kids!!!!!!

now i know theres being irresponsible, but that was jsut ridiculous, the speed they were going if he crashed it would of been game over

jsut stupid

I know i was going fast, but i always slow down witht eh traffic when it gets heavy etc <- still not condoning it

but i was just lost for words, he msut of been going over a tonne forty easily to blow me away like he did

i was late for a meeting with my dealer before dropping the kids off at school. what of it?

i wouldnt have been late if it wasnt for slow drivers getting in my way on their high horses...

:P

I really wish people would get over this stupid idea that speed is dangerous. You can drive safely at 100, 200, 300 mph, assuming you have sufficient skill and the conditions allow it.

Inappropriate speed is dangerous. Driving faster than your able to cope with is dangerous. Driving faster than the conditions allow for is dangerous. Bad driving is always dangerous, regardless of what speed it's at.

Speed doesn't kill. Speed doesn't cause accidents. Bad driving does.

Well, speed is bad. A car going at 200 mph will cause much more damage than one going at 60 mph. And I agree that people with the skill can drive well at high speeds, but most people think they're better drivers than they are, and the majority of fast drivers I see are just *albatrosses*, who aren't better than the average driver.

The problem is, it's easier to prove someone was speeding than prove they were driving dangerously in doing so.

This is why I say assess every section of the motorway system, roll out the variable speed limit along it, and set the speed limit to what is safe for the conditions.

So a straight section at 1am with very little traffic, up the limit to 100mph, but a bend or heavy traffic, drop it down, likewise in the rain or fog.

If someone goes faster than the set limit, then do them for dangerous driving, no ifs, no buts, they were travelling too fast for the road conditions at that time.

Also introduce tail gating boxes, if you're doing above a certain speed and enter a box before the car in front leaves, then you're done for dangerous driving too.

A lot of accidents happen on motorways because people are not used to/expecting to actually stop. Most of the time when the car in front's brake lights come on, it's because they're slowing down from 70mph to 50mph (for example) because of congestion or lane changing, and the reaction/slowing time for 70-50mph is a heck of a lot shorter than the stopping distance at 70mph, so when the car in front slows down to 50 and keeps on slowing, the car behind is way too close.

How many times on the motorway have you seen a car leave the right stopping distance between it and the one in front, only to have a car nip into the gap?

I think bad driving full stop is dangerous and should warrant harsher/contextual penalties, I've only been driving since May '10 but my job has me out on motorways every month so I get to experience a variety of traffic/road/driving conditions and some of the stuff I've seen is rediculous - bombing down the outside lane if there is more than a few hundred metres between you and the next vehicle ahead doesn't really bother me, cutting across from it with no indication 4 inches from my front bumper to get to an exit slip is *Ubar*-nuggetry of the highest order.

If I'm having to sit in the middle lane because the inside is full of 56mph limited HGVs and I can maintain 70mph (I prefer to stick to limits but that might be down to being a new driver and having friends/family in the car/or it's a works vehicle) here, don't come up to where I just lose sight of your bumper, then start flashing full beams into my car when the outside lane is completely empty, you daft *badgeress*. (Yes, we confirmed it was a woman).

On the flip side, I think something needs to be said about consideration for other road users. While in a perfect world no one would speed, I've no problem jumping back into the middle lane out of the way of people who are speeding along the outside, actually leaving those 'keep clear' bits actually clear and leaving just enough room/being attentive enough so when the daft barsteward in the lane next to me decides to swerve into mine for no obvious reason I'm not having to cause the guy behind me to brake suddenly.

What really grinds my gears on normal roads is trying to get out of a junction and no bugger is letting you out, I've been in a few situations where I've had to take a chance and jump/floor it out of a junction because no one seems to think that letting people to join the normal flow of traffic is perhaps...oh I dunno, being part of being a half decent driver?

That said what also ###### me off is timid gits who after giving them ample opportunity to move/join the road sit there without taking any decisive action.

Despite people being the suck, I still like driving...

There are a few things where you can justify speeding, like maybe you're taking someone who's in labour or something. Most of the time its self important pricks who are willing to compromise the safety of others so they can rush home to watch the twats on top gear chat *suitcase* so they can then text their fellow mouth breathing imbecile friends about how good the "banter" was. I quite like staying at the speed limit.

Well, speed is bad. A car going at 200 mph will cause much more damage than one going at 60 mph.

When my car is doing 60 mph, it doesn't cause any damage. Nor does it cause any damage when going at 100 mph (which I don't do any more, because I can't afford the fuel)

Speed is not bad. :waggle: Driving fast does NOT make you crash. When my speedo hits 90 mph, my car doesn't automatically swerve into the nearest child.

If you are to stick to that logic, you'd be driving 90 miles all the time, except you don't cause you know full well that the breaking distance is severely reduced, as is your ability to react to unexpected hazards. I can't believe that you think that you could avoid an accident at 90mph as you could at 30mph.

There are a few things where you can justify speeding, like maybe you're taking someone who's in labour or something.

Can of worms but I can't see the sense of potentially further endangering another life for the sake of saving a small amount of time - I can see the (arguably) flawed logic and I reckon with sufficient training someone could quite easily blaze around normal roads/traffic safely but would that be a comfortable/safe ride for someone on the verge of sprogdrop?

Can't help feeling the term 'keep calm and carry on' would be the best form of action to take but people being prone to panic would default to 'drive faster, get there sooner, disregard individual competency/skill required'

But then that's humans for you...

If you are to stick to that logic, you'd be driving 90 miles all the time, except you don't cause you know full well that the breaking distance is severely reduced, as is your ability to react to unexpected hazards. I can't believe that you think that you could avoid an accident at 90mph as you could at 30mph.

What I inferred Hedganian was getting at was that if you are presented with a decent condition road, in dry conditions, good visibility, your car isn't a total heap and you're not going to disappear up someone's bumper by doing so...then driving at 100 is no more dangerous than driving at 70 as long as you adjust to the conditions.

I have driven in excess of the limit in 30 zones but only when I'm driving from Manchester to Kidderminster for skirmishes in the morning where I'm more likely to see an urban fox than another human being.

Gah.... :headbutt:

SPEED ALONE IS NOT THE ISSUE. Seriously, what stops you people from understanding this basic point???? :huh:

You can't say that speed is the sole factor in any problem. It's simply not. You can drive perfectly safely at 160mph on an empty motorway in good weather. On a crowded street in the pouring rain, you might not be able to drive safely at 30mph.

But the TV and the police and so on continue to hammer on at the "SPEED KILLS" thing - maybe it's because it's an easier message to get across to the mindless public than "DON'T DRIVE LIKE A MORON" - but it's misleading.

For example - I have been involved in several road traffic collisions. Only one of them was my fault, when I lost a car on some gravel while taking a sharp turn and ended up hitting a tree. I was travelling at TWENTY MPH. The others all happened when my vehicle was stationary at traffic lights and some idiot drove into me. In all cases, at LESS THAN THIRTY MPH.

Therefore, by my own personal experience, travelling at anything less than 40 mph is dangerous, and I'm only safe at high speed. This is, of course, stupid, because SPEED IS NOT THE ONLY FACTOR.

Am I getting through to anyone yet??

EDIT:

What I inferred Hedganian was getting at was that if you are presented with a decent condition road, in dry conditions, good visibility, your car isn't a total heap and you're not going to disappear up someone's bumper by doing so...then driving at 100 is no more dangerous than driving at 70 as long as you adjust to the conditions.

Yes, HE gets it!

Driving at any speed you care to name is no more safe or dangerous than any other speed. You have to pick the RIGHT speed for your own ability as a driver and the conditions of the road, other cars around, the weather, etc, etc, etc.

Arbitrary speed limits are stupid and pointless. In some cases, even dangerous themselves. I've seen and heard people justify driving at 70mph through thick fog "Because that's the speed limit" :headbutt: MORON! :waggle:

On motorways even the major driver's information services like the AA and the RAC say that 80 is a reasonable speed (the proviso being that you have to drive to the conditions).

What most ignorant pricks don't realise is that at and indicated 70mph most cars are doing less than 65mph.

I have a properly calibrated speedometer (set by GPS and time distance calculations) and even when I am going at 70mph I find that I am going faster than 90% of road users and that a few actively try to make it difficult for me to overtake.

I routinely drive at 80mph on motorways and I find that at that speed the closing speed coming up behind berks doing an indicated 65 "just to be safe" makes them an absolute menace.

That equates to an actual road speed of 60ish and I am going 80. I have to be on the ball.

The problem with the roads is users, I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again.

There are 2 kinds of people on the roads:

Drivers, drivers make the business of driving their top priority in the car, they understand the fundamentals of machine sympathy, they drive to the prevailing conditions and usually have some knowledge of driving dynamics and road craft.

Road/car users, users have no interest in their car, they are simply using it to go from one place to another and don't care how it works. They are the ones who drive you mad going at a steady 50 on an A road then don't slow down for a village with a posted speed limit of 30. They are the ones with a flat tyre but haven't noticed. They are the ones who have the garage fill up the screen wash. They are the ones in the middle lane of an empty motorway going 50 who shake their fist at you when you undertake them.

Most tellingly they are the ones at the side of the road holding their heads in their hands saying:

"he just came out of nowhere"

"I don't know how it happened"

"I didn't realise"

"The car just got away from me"

"I didn't see the bike"

I have been in a few accidents, never my fault and I have always been able to explain to the police exactly what happened to me with perfect clarity.

Sometimes the idiots just home in on you.

Archived