My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*fruitcage* you Steam.

Let me tell you a tale of romance, I fell for a girl called cloud gaming.

I used Steam back at the turn of the millennium so that 14 yr old American children could mock my dial up by Haxx0ring me in the face but I didn't think about it again until they put the monkey island games on there.

What's this? I said. Awesome games updated to work on modern computers and for only a few pounds?

I'm in.

I lovingly played them through. We fell for each other.

Then I saw an advert.

Portal 2?

I liked Portal, if Portal 2 is like Portal then perhaps I would like that too - damn you adverts!

Alas, my laptop is built for toughness, not speed. My PC is lame and I sold my Xbox months ago. What to do?

I began trawling e-bay for a used Xbox or PS3, after all, I only need it long enough to finish the game.

While browsing the tubes I called my friend and spoke of my quest. He told me that in his pile of discarded bits (next to his watercooled dual quad core quad graphics card equipped gaming machine with 12Gb of RAM and striped SSDs) he had enough parts to bring my PC up to a standard capable not just of playing Portal 2 on minimum but of making it look good on my 42" TV.

He then said there would be no charge for these parts but why do I want them?

I told him of Portal and Portal 2, he hadn't played them.

As an act of gratitude I bought him Portal as a gift using Paypal through Steam. Easy.

Knowing that a new processor, graphics card and memory were in the post I decided to buy Portal 2 and begin the (probably huge) download.

Hmmm 30 pounds, reasonable.

What's this? Portal 2 with an *albatross* load of other Valve games for 50 pounds?

I'm in.

I selected the package and decided to pay with Paypal as before.

Only now it won't work.

My bank account has over a grand in it and it has not expired on paypal.

My back up credit card had 4 *fruitcage* grand in it and has not expired on paypal.

My paypal balance is over 400 *bramston pickle* pounds in GBP.

I am using the correct e-mail address and password.

WHY WON'T YOU WORK!

I try my credit card directly from the Steam store front, the one I know works, I know it has 4 *bramston pickle* thousand pounds in it.

IT DIDN'T WORK.

IT'S GONE 1 IN THE MORNING!

I JUST WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY.

AAAAAAARGH!

I even tried clicking the link while wearing my plush headcrab hat.

That didn't work either

*fruitcage* you Steam

The Steam payment servers sometimes have issues in the early hours. Simply calm down and try again today.

Steam is awesome. It is the future of games distribution. There is no way to pirate a Steam game, and if you somehow managed it and got caught, your entire Steam account is deleted. All your games, even the legal ones. Just. *fruitcage*. Gone. No refunds. No-one pirates on Steam. And why? Most of the games on Steam are cheaper than in the shops - don't buy in the first couple of months, though. In less than 6 months Portal 2 will be under £15.

The Complete Packs are definitely worth the price, though, you'll save a fortune.

You've just got to have a little patience with the servers - remember there are millions of people using it, and there's only SO much power and bandwidth at the other end. If you're unfortunate enough to be online at the same time as Peak Time in the USA, well, your service won't be great.

My rant, however, is the UK Border Agency.

Why the hell has Customs Duties been taken away from HMRC and given to the UKBA? Don't they have enough to do with failing to stop illegal immigration? Now they get to delay my imports, too?

My parcel has been sat in a Customs warehouse for 14 days now. I've spoken to them, sent them the required proofs under the VCRA, they've acknowledged receipt and that everything's okay. So why hasn't my item being released yet????? <_<

You do know that every game on Steam has been "pirated" and can be played without having a Steam account right ?

Yep, but don't tell anyone :P

So why hasn't my item being released yet?????

Decided to crack it open and have a little shootout in the custom holding area? :P

'FireKnife'

You do know that every game on Steam has been "pirated" and can be played without having a Steam account right ?

The only things unavailable are the multiplayer options.

While that's no doubt true, that wasn't the point I was making. You can't have a pirate game *on* Steam.

Of course, if games publishers - like DVD and music distributors - would just lower the prices of their products to a reasonable level instead of spending untold millions of anti-piracy projects, they'd have more success.

I wonder if you're being sarcastic.... <_<:P

I had an issue myself when trying to purchase something on Steam a few months ago - I don't even remember what it was, now - but I remember getting frustrated with nothing working, giving up and then it working fine in the morning. *Shrug* Everything has it's faults, I guess, and perhaps they have to take their payment servers offline every now and then for some reason? Who knows?

Of course, if games publishers - like DVD and music distributors - would just lower the prices of their products to a reasonable level instead of spending untold millions of anti-piracy projects, they'd have more success.

Considering that,

A: the internet task force assigned to stamp out piracy is 10 guys in a shed with not very up to date computers.

B: you want something you don't have to wait for postage or go and get the item when you pirate.

C: the media and games industries are selling some items at a 500% mark up.

People are going to pirate or internet download so in maybe 2-3 generations we are going to have everything on our hard drives, we wont go to the shops it will be all downloadable and that is when pirating will slow down, firstly as the original copy will be cheap and it wont cost anything to deliver. Since the introduction of Xbox On-Demand, PS Network and Steam the amount of monitored illegal downloading has somewhat decreased as people don't mind spending £5 for a game with full support and multiplayer that is only a click away. When we have everything on payable download the only things left to pirate easily would be programs that cost £100's and then it will be easier to catch out this smaller group and calm piracy down.

'FireKnife'

I'm not sure - the industries still keep prices artificially high on direct-download media such as ebooks and games.

Why do I see, on Amazon, the Kindle version of a book the same price if not sometimes MORE than the paperback version? If it's available at all. And then the publishers "request" that the Kindle version has some Kindle features disabled. And even then, I find that I've paid for what is no better a copy than I could find for free online as a pirated scan?

When I spoke of anti-piracy projects, I meant such things as the anti-copying software they incorporate into discs, always-online requirements that mean I can't play my game even single-player if my internet connection drops out (which is totally unacceptable, to my mind), and lobbying for anti-piracy laws. All of which costs money they could just invest instead into offsetting the cost of lowering the RRP.

My point has always been that most people would prefer to pay for a genuine copy if the price is reasonable, yet first-release games and films are ludicrously overpriced. Especially on the consoles, where piracy isn't as easy or common - £50 for a PS3 game? Outrageous. Even more so when the same game is released on the PC for £30, and even that's too high a price.

Wrong. You should vote. Everyone should vote. People fought and died to allow others the freedom to have that vote, not using it is essentially the same as spitting on their sacrifices. :waggle:

You should do some research first, though, to inform your vote.

Edit: It's a nice anti-propaganda website, though. I've been trying to make some of the same points myself, regardless of whether or not I agree that AV should be adopted, I prefer people to base their opinions on facts rather than lies.

Arguing that not voting would be an insult to those that died to protect democracy and freedom.

Um... Yes. :flamed:

The only system of government that works is monarchy/dictatorship. But only if the right person is at the top. Which is extremely hard to assure.

The reason it works is because they have no need to "court" public opinion and therefore are free to do what would actually be the best thing, rather than what all the uneducated morons think they want.

The problem is that if their idea of what the right thing is isn't *actually* the right thing, there's sod all you can do about it.

I never said I had a solution. Sorry.

Argues against democracy in favour of dictatorships.

ho hum

Ok, I've got one.

Play.com, go die in a hole somewhere.

The premise of a pre-ordering a game is simple. I put my faith in the developers that the game will be good, and trust that I want to play it. I then pay money to secure my copy before it has been released.

This, I assume, helps the developers and producers, as they're selling games potentially before they're finished, and resellers like Play and Amazon order more to meet demand.

In return, I expect to receive the game on the day of release or before. Not a week and a half after it's on the shelves.

At the same time as ordering the game, we ordered a birthday present for my girlfriend's dad. A week later (!) we get the dispatch e-mail from Play.com, and the tracking number.

The next day, the tracking number shows that the courier depot received it, and sent it out for delivery. No-one calls that day, so we check to see what happened. The courier who was tasked to deliver the package marked it 'not received'... Which I assume means he lost or stole it.

Play.com promise an immediate replacement... A week later, no replacement, but a letter with a form to fill in and send back so that Play.com can claim the money back from the courier. Girlfriend's dad's birthday goes by with no present. Two further weeks go by, and it finally arrives, no apology, no nothing.

What a crock. Won't be using them again.

Ben.

Arguing that not voting would be an insult to those that died to protect democracy and freedom.

Argues against democracy in favour of dictatorships.

ho hum

Your point being what, exactly?

Many people have sacrificed a great deal over the years for the "freedoms" we enjoy and which our so-called democracy is busily eroding in the name of "security" - to not use that freedom is to dishonour that sacrifice. I always vote. The fact that I don't believe that our current system of government is the best one we could have (it might be a lot better but for the nature of those people who seek to use it to get into positions of power for their own gains) doesn't alter the fact that it *IS* the system we have and refusing to participate in the system achieves nothing while at the same time invalidating the sacrifices of everyone who worked to ensure that I *could* participate.

Perhaps, if everyone voted in a sensible way for independent candidates like the system is intended to have, then our country would be governed better?

L4byr1nth - it seems short-sighted to blame the website you ordered from for the actions of a courier company. Now certainly you should complain to Play about the service you have received in this case, and you may get some satisfaction from doing so. But if you don't use Play again, you'll presumably use someone else - say Amazon, for example - and they use the same courier companies, so you won't be gaining anything.

Personally, I don't use Play very much, as I don't like their "free" postage concept, which essentially means that the price of posting any item is added onto that item's price, so if I buy many things at once I'm not saving on postage as I would with other sites, but still, they sometimes have items I want for less than other places.

Your only other option is to go to the shops and hope that the item you want is still in stock when you get there. I guess it's your choice.

I'm not blaming them for the postage, it's more about how they wait a week to post the thing, and then when it does go missing or stolen, all they're interested in is getting their money back rather than sorting out my problem first, as it should be.

Ben.

You should take it up with them. Complain that you're not happy with the service, see what happens. What have you got to lose?

Skarclaw - All our so-called democracy gives us is the ability to choose which dictator we'd like for the next few years. If the system worked the way it was supposed to, perhaps I'd support it more. But even so, that doesn't prevent me from participating in the system and using my vote to further my views where possible - by voting for independent candidates.

A system of government answering to a single individual works better than any other, IF said individual is capable of doing the right thing for the people being governed regardless of what the people might actually *think* they want - the ability to look at all the possible options and pick the one with the least drawbacks, best outcome, or whatever. And they're not out for their own gain.

If you can show me such an epitome of leadership, such a paragon of virtue, then I'll quite happily fall in behind them. Good luck in your quest. Does such a being exist? I frankly doubt it. You certainly won't find one amongst the ranks of the politicians we get to choose between every 4 or 5 years, that much I do know.

I've now explained this "conflict" at least twice.

But if all you wish to do is hold a one line unsubstantiated argument with someone you obviously have a personal grudge against, then I've got better things to do. Come back when you've actually got something to say, and something to back it up with.

rant:

im moving out of my house on saturday, been living with the ex until we sorted things out. (strange, but we get on ok...). she is buying me out.

her parents are being *suitcasey* with me now, when they have nothing to do with the situation (amicable break up really, even though she dumped me), and ive been totally civil with everyone, biting my tongue on several occasions. even when her father came round last night knowing only i was in, telling me to get my act together and basically f**k off out of his daughters' life...

i was truly fizzing with rage. ive never felt anger like it before, shaking and everything. its still my property until next week, and for him to march in and start laying into me, i was incensed. i am no fighter, but it took all my control to not smash him in the face and drag him outside and throw him back in his car...

grrr.

rant: grrr

Aren't parents and *badgeress* eh?

I have been given the 'why the hell are you going out with my daughter' line before, always gets on my nerves not to tell them what i think of them, especially when they are a fat slob that only realised they had a daughter when she told them she was seeing someone.

Too bad about the ex though, that and her having an *albartroth* for a Dad.

'FireKnife'

You should take it up with them. Complain that you're not happy with the service, see what happens. What have you got to lose?

Skarclaw - All our so-called democracy gives us is the ability to choose which dictator we'd like for the next few years. If the system worked the way it was supposed to, perhaps I'd support it more. But even so, that doesn't prevent me from participating in the system and using my vote to further my views where possible - by voting for independent candidates.

A system of government answering to a single individual works better than any other, IF said individual is capable of doing the right thing for the people being governed regardless of what the people might actually *think* they want - the ability to look at all the possible options and pick the one with the least drawbacks, best outcome, or whatever. And they're not out for their own gain.

If you can show me such an epitome of leadership, such a paragon of virtue, then I'll quite happily fall in behind them. Good luck in your quest. Does such a being exist? I frankly doubt it. You certainly won't find one amongst the ranks of the politicians we get to choose between every 4 or 5 years, that much I do know.

I've now explained this "conflict" at least twice.

But if all you wish to do is hold a one line unsubstantiated argument with someone you obviously have a personal grudge against, then I've got better things to do. Come back when you've actually got something to say, and something to back it up with.

Firstly - There is no personal grudge. To think this implies that; 1) I care deeply about arguments on the internet, and 2) I hold grudges. I think we have differences in opinion, but to call it a grudge is a bit dramatic.

I'll concede that I've been using "one liners" so I'll elaborate. (although its unfair to call them unsubstantiated, I had quoted 2 of your posts just above it)

Firstly; You have presented this argument:

premise 1: People died for our democratic rights (including our right to vote)

premise 2: Democracy is inefficient, we need a system of government based on political elitism/benevolent dictatorship

Conclusion: It is wrong, perhaps even offensive, not to exercise you're democratic vote, as p1. Also p2

This is inconsistent. If you think people should vote because people died to defend democracy, why would you argue in favour of a completely opposing system?

If you can't see why this is inconsistent, then either;

you are irrational (given that you have a degree in a science, I doubt this is the case)

or

You've made some pretty hyperbolic remarks about democracy, and espoused a popularist opinion on why we should vote, without really thinking your position through.

If you think "our so called democracy" is an inferior alternative to this political elitism/b.dictatorship that you seem to espouse, why bother voting? Specifically, why encourage others to vote?

You settle by saying that you vote for independent candidates. Again, it seems odd that you would do this, as you said that democracy doesn't work. Why drive a car that doesn't start?

This being said, and forgive me if I put words into your mouth, this is just my interpretation;

I can't believe that you really think that democracy doesn't work. I think you mean that it doesn't work the way you would like. As it turns out, I agree with your discontent. I think our system would be better if there were more independent candidates.

However, this is not to say that I don't think democracy works! The increased role of party politics seems to be the cause of the issues you've raised, not democratic participation!

Sorry if I've offended you, or made it seem like I have a grudge. I just disagreed with what I read, and given that its an internet forum, I felt I would criticise it.

No system of government truly works.

Democracy's great failing is that it gives the uneducated, ignorant, idiotic masses the power to choose their leaders, and therefore forces anyone intending to become a leader to pander to these ignorant peasants in order to gain their approval in order to be elected to a hamstrung position of power. Therefore, it does not work.

A Dictatorship doesn't have to worry about such things, however by virtue of its uncontested naked power it tends to attract the very worst sort of person, the last person, in most cases, who should be allowed to rule anyone. Therefore, it does not work.

If, by some miracle, it were possible to have a dictatorship whereby the person in power would act out of selfless altruism for the greatest good for the greatest number, then that would be the closest to a working government. However, it's extremely unlikely, if not impossible, for such a case to ever be achievable.

The conclusion you refer to isn't based on the combination of the two statements you refer to, but solely on the first one - it's not a conclusion as such, but in fact an extension of the first "premise". People made - and continue to make - sacrifices (not all of them in battle, or fatal) in order for people like us to have the freedoms we enjoy. To not use these freedoms devalues the sacrifices required to achieve them.

In any event, the government we have is the one we have and participating in it as best as possible is the only way people can try to make it any better - short of bloody revolution, at least, which would doubtless only lead to something worse.

It depends what you mean by "working"

I'd suggest that running a system of government isn't like an engineering project. In fact, I'd say somethings that make the government less efficient, make it work. For example, the 2 houses in american government, it would be easier to pass bills into law, etc, if there was only one. Aswell as that, it would be easier if there where no judicary system to check that these laws don't contravene any prior laws, or take away rights, etc

For me, a governmental system works if it can fulfill the following criteria similtaneously, without comprising one for the others, and so on.

Democratic participation at a local and national level, aswell as the opportunity for direct participation.

Guarantee's certain rights.

Protects its citizens

Provide's its citizens with a level of healthcare and education

Spends tax money wisely, with as little waste as possible

There is probably more, but you get the jist.

lasrt election I voted but spoiled my ballot to make a point, yes I voted but I couldnt bvring myself to vote for the lesser of the evils. and we have just enough of an illusion of democracy to keep the sheep in line that is all. my view on demcracy is that it is a flawed system that requires a safeguard which we dont have ala a constitution or bill of fixed unstealable rights. Democracy is ultimatly the tryany of the minority by the majority its legitimatised mob rule however we have to work with what we have.

I am unhappy with the government we have and in my opinion AV is one step closer to my ultimate goal opf propo9rtional representation. we need to rebuild from the ground up aned I am working for it legitimatly. soapbox , post box ballot box jury box and cartridge box in that order.

Archived