My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why, where did you put it before :P

Actually do i really want to know the answer to that :unsure:

Anyway my rant, people on forums that don't understand how they work. Now i wont finger point here and it is no-one that we know but one member on a forum is clearly either very stupid or very ignorant. I have ordered and bought an item from them a week last friday, it is now 7 postal days later and the item has not turned up. I have sent him two messages already and got no reply to either within 24hrs.

Now just to check i go into profile viewer, low and behold, he has been on 4 times within the last two to three days (when i asked were my item was) so is ignoring me or stupid. Ah well, after tomorrow if nothing shows i will give him on last chance, if i get no reply be this time tomorrow (a whole daytime to reply) then it will go to a Paypal dispute.

Why can't people just either reply or admit things, why do they have to try and lie or ignore you when it takes 5mins to see what they are up to and when they were last on.

'FireKnife'

Why can't people just either reply or admit things, why do they have to try and lie or ignore you when it takes 5mins to see what they are up to and when they were last on.

'FireKnife'

Well I have an answer to that (you've already said it), they are stupid. I'm not the brightest of the bunch (its a big old bunch) but even I know leaving things alone, only makes things worse.

I was told a very sick and dis-heartening story recently about the death of a 2 week old baby and how it was neglect that led to the childs death. Some people only care about them selves and will do anything, no matter how stupid, to look after them selves.

I was told a very sick and dis-heartening story recently about the death of a 2 week old baby and how it was neglect that led to the childs death. Some people only care about them selves and will do anything, no matter how stupid, to look after them selves.

Being the eternal optomist i can't say i despair for the human race when i hear things like this but all i can say is the gene pool needs a truck load of chlorine at the moment.

Some people just aren't bright enough to be dim in a dark room.

'Hello'

'Fishsticks?'

'Ah, there we go sir, insane one hiding in the corner'

But either way this person will be given an email tomorrow, unless the item shows, and be told that 'if by 23:00 this evening you haven't replied to this or refunded my payment then i am opening a Paypal dispute, simple as that', then see if they listen.

'FireKnife'

Dodgy expensive little computer shops.

Had a woman at work ask me some advice today.

About 9 months ago her PC started rebooting itself (it was about 5 years old) and eventually she took it to a local PC shop who charged her £250 to replace the motherboard with another low end one that supposedly came with a years warrenty.

Fast forward 7 months to now and it's started again. The shop say it can't be the motherboard but if she hands over another bucket of dosh they'll take a look.

She's bought a netbook and is loving it so is going to get rid of the PC but would rather give it to someone who could fix it and use it rather than just bin it (just thought, I'll tell her to track down some of the charities which refurb them for 3rd world schools).

What gets my goat though is the treatment by the shop, I mean, £250 to diagnose and replace a cheapo motherboard with another one? That's shocking!

What gets my goat though is the treatment by the shop, I mean, £250 to diagnose and replace a cheapo motherboard with another one? That's shocking!

Like all companies they have to make money somehow, usually off those that take their word for it and don't shop around. I always offer to help those i know and always shop around, take 5mins and often saves £50-100.

That's almost robbery - requires no skill, all you have to do is put a disc in and click a few buttons.

You would be suprised how many people fail at that from what i have seen though. If he is doing an upgrade and has issues then get him to install Team Viewer or give me a ring, got to use my skills for something and i won't charge him anything, let alone £100. :P

'FireKnife'

Nah he did it himself, no problems. He's not a genius but he's pretty smart, he managed to build the PC from scratch on his own, having never done it before and it worked (I helped him choose the bits, in our ICT lessons :P). Modern PCs are pretty much plug and play, even internally. He was telling me how him and his mate couldn't get the graphics card to fit in the case, so they just bent the case. I was like :blink: But it worked for over a year before the motherboard died, turned out he'd installed it without the standoffs and it shorted on the case :D

I've got some money from my 18th birthday, think I'm going to build a PC for BF3, I'll probably be in the computer thread before long giving massive parts lists...

Right,

My Dad is a member of the MSA, they send him a nice motoring magazine. In it is an article about a driver that decided to enter a 48hr milsim event in his spare time. Great, i thought, until i read a line in the article that made me worry:

'The boys even fired semi automatic rifles - adapted to fire BB pellets'.

Erm, no they are not real rifles and they are not adapted. They are made to do that one task of be used in airsoft not a real gun with a modification.

However as this magazine has a small circulation i can't see much issue but it is errors like that which can lead to people getting the wrong idea about it all. Why can't they get crucial facts right?

'FireKnife'

Right,

My Dad is a member of the MSA, they send him a nice motoring magazine. In it is an article about a driver that decided to enter a 48hr milsim event in his spare time. Great, i thought, until i read a line in the article that made me worry:

'The boys even fired semi automatic rifles - adapted to fire BB pellets'.

Erm, no they are not real rifles and they are not adapted. They are made to do that one task of be used in airsoft not a real gun with a modification.

However as this magazine has a small circulation i can't see much issue but it is errors like that which can lead to people getting the wrong idea about it all. Why can't they get crucial facts right?

'FireKnife'

They can't get the facts right, because that would mean they would have to actually talk to be who know what they are doing. It would also mean, it would be less shocking of a story if they found out the "guns" used in th emilsim event where just noisy sewing machines.....

Rant: Phone battery on its way out after a year. I have an old nokia that still works and holds practically the same amount of charge. I'm tempted to get one of those mobiles with the big number key pad, I reckon that would frieghten people :D

The main motto of journalism is "Never let facts get in the way of a good story."

Write to them and correct their mistake without going into *TOO* much technical detail. They might print it in the readers' letters section or even an editorial if you're very lucky.

In fairness, I don't think that's what was being used in the game the article is talking about, so it doesn't really matter. The point is that the article is inaccurate and implies that all airsoft replicas are converted firearms. Which is wrong. And might also imply to some people that airsoft replicas could be converted to fire live ammunition, which is very, very wrong.

I'm sure that you *COULD* - with enough ingenuity and a machine-shop - convert a real steel firearm into an airsoft one. But why would you when you could just get an airsoft replica off the shelf for a lot less money and effort?

if I nhave the skill to convert as to real firearms I would just make a real gun from scratch, would be easier. interesting though,specially the us atf ruling on WA gbbr m4s based on what they actually did to it to get it to fire a round, with that timescale and amount of tools I would just make a new ar from scratch.

Oh.

My.

God....

I'm so *fruitcage* ###### off right now...

I just made the stupid, stupid mistake of letting Chkdsk scan my external hard drive before the laptop booted up.

For some reason, it erased over FORTY GIGABYTES of films I'd copied from my desktop PC...

WHY????

The worst part is that I even MORE stupidly *deleted* the files off my desktop PC before I left. WHY the hell did I do that? It's not like that PC is going to be used for the six months I'm away... So even if I was to drive all the way back there, I couldn't copy them again.

Now those videos are just *fruitcage* *GONE*

I'm heading out in like two days, and now all my entertainment has just vanished.

Goddamn computers!

ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!! :headbutt:

Oh.

My.

God....

I just made the stupid, stupid mistake of letting Chkdsk scan my external hard drive before the laptop booted up.

For some reason, it erased over FORTY GIGABYTES of films I'd copied from my desktop PC...

WHY????

The worst part is that I even MORE stupidly *deleted* the files off my desktop PC before I left. WHY the hell did I do that? It's not like that PC is going to be used for the six months I'm away... So even if I was to drive all the way back there, I couldn't copy them again.

Now those videos are just *fruitcage* *GONE*

I'm heading out in like two days, and now all my entertainment has just vanished.

Goddamn computers!

ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!! :headbutt:

I honestly feel sorry for you bud, that would ###### me right off.

I hate to say it but do you not have a backup to the system, first thing yo should always have is necessary files in at least 2 places.

That or could you not go back and download them in the time you have until you leave, if your on an unlimited broadband connection then a few days of the computer being on should get most of them back.

'FireKnife'

I have installed a NAS box, two drives in a redundant array attached to my network and accessible from any computer on it and (theoretically) accessible from any computer with web access through an FTP client but I can't get that to work.

Hopefully that will prevent any future data loss.

Archived