My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Ok, seeing as i can't edit?:

Anyway not much of a rant but ... Just finished watching Attack the Block, do you REALLY talk like that ?!?! My English isn't perfect but i was watching that thing and after 10 mins i was still trying to decide if i had downlo.... bought the movie with the right sound track or i had some kind of Russian bootleg. Dang bruv!

Unfortunatley due to a floundering education system, a lack of modern family values and idiots that are allowed to breed too much yes we have a lot of people that talk like that. A shame really when most people from Europe, Asia and South America can speak two languages when over here we have people struggling with just one.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because it is a straight fine, i have no appeal against it according to the company and yes they may not have the resources to catch me 2 out of 3 times, but it is a £2000 fine and loss of my license if they do, in a toss up between that and £50-60 i would rather the latter.

But hey, what i want to know is what happened to the van that overtook me when i was within the speed limit, am i paying for some *fruitcage*wit van drivers mistake?

'FireKnife'

Straight fine with no appeal? Sounds like BS to me. If its a 3rd party company thats operating the cameras on behalf of the local authority I wouldn't put telling outright lies past them. I had a speeding ticket that I got told I had to pay wanted to then attempt to claim back if I wanted to appeal, on closer examination they had me clocked at a speed that the vehicle wasn't even capable of. Needless to say that I demanded to speak with a manager and told them it was preposterous and why, and it was dropped.

Sounds like bullying tactics to get people to pay up to me. Askf or copies of the pictures as IIRC if you ask by law they have to let you see them.

Anyway todays rant is also car related. For the past week my other half has had a courtesy car while hers was in for repairs and the night before it goes back some little *suitcase* has put a cocking great big scratch in it so now the hire company are charging her £150.

Anyway not much of a rant but ... Just finished watching Attack the Block, do you REALLY talk like that ?!?! My English isn't perfect but i was watching that thing and after 10 mins i was still trying to decide if i had downlo.... bought the movie with the right sound track or i had some kind of Russian bootleg. Dang bruv!

lol, what a movie! :P yeah we have some people who speak like that, that film is definitely a parody though, most people are a bit more normal!

A shame really when most people from Europe, Asia and South America can speak two languages when over here we have people struggling with just one.

Dude. This may be the case in Scandinavia, where nobody understands their funny "bork bork bork" languages, but they're raised to be polite and understandable, hence 95% of Swedes speak proper English, not sure how it's in Norway and Denmark, but I guess it's similar. Folks here, however, will swear up, down and sideways they speak English, but when they have to, it suddenly turns out they know ten words at best, can't pronounce them correctly and have accents so thick you wouldn't understand them even if they knew more words and pronounced them correctly (I guess you could encounter some, they're selling their parents for a plane ticket to the UK!). I'm something of an exception (for example, people who have heard me speak English guessed that I'm either Swedish, Dutch, Australian or American).

Because it is a straight fine, i have no appeal against it according to the company and yes they may not have the resources to catch me 2 out of 3 times, but it is a £2000 fine and loss of my license if they do, in a toss up between that and £50-60 i would rather the latter.

But hey, what i want to know is what happened to the van that overtook me when i was within the speed limit, am i paying for some *fruitcage*wit van drivers mistake?

'FireKnife'

That is complete ######. You can always dispute speed camera evidence. Surely the picture they sent shows the van overtaking you? Send it back saying that you were travelling under the speed limit and the van set off the camera, so you're not paying since you've committed no offence. It's pretty unlikely that you'll get a court summons.

Unfortunatley due to a floundering education system, a lack of modern family values and idiots that are allowed to breed too much yes we have a lot of people that talk like that. A shame really when most people from Europe, Asia and South America can speak two languages when over here we have people struggling with just one.

lol, what a movie! :P yeah we have some people who speak like that, that film is definitely a parody though, most people are a bit more normal!

Yeah thought that was the case and after a few minutes i got the hang of it and understood the jargon. Althought sometimes i tune in to the BBC or Sky One and see them teenagers speak on the news and need to search teh interwebs and decipher what the hell they were talking about, unfortunately sometimes i have to do the same while watching our own national news ....

I'd say pay the fine. I was under the impression you can still appeal and get your money back (even if you had paid up, or is that seen as an admission of guilt?), if your appeal is upheld?

Never pay the fine if it wasn't you who did the crime!

Demand the unedited photo evidence, quite often they'll send a cropped version with just the driver and numberplate, even though they legally should send you the full image.

I have successfully fought off two speeding tickets, in both cases the Police did not follow the law and in one case lied on their statement to the court.

Always send your correspondence signed for so you have a record of them receiving it. Check it after a couple of days to ensure that it has been delivered, if it hasn't, send it again stating this is the second copy and when you sent the first so they cannot claim they didn't receive it which is what they tried with me.

The Police hope that people won't know the law and will just pay them the money, which is why the NIP is normally sent 2nd class. In order for it to be deemed as issued they have to send it recorded/registered otherwise they have no proof they actually sent it within the 14 day deadline.

Well i will need to wait on the reply i get seeing as first they required my details (i am still registered in Scotland and the claim is from Newport, where yes i was driving). However they have put that it is an 'alleged offence' but make no note to how or where i can appeal. If they offer a picture then i can prove the van over-taking me set off the camera, however that is a perfect chance for them to deem that the driver in the van was also prosecuted or 'they can't diclose that information' making it harder to sort it all out.

Personally i just wish they would realise that they claim i am doing 40mph in a camera that is actually between a 40 and 30 crossover, if i turn out to be one side of the line made by the 30 signs it doesn't matter as i am doing 40 in the 40 area. The only issue i see with this is typical ganging that occurs within out justice system, why can't i be of a minority / disability / sexual preference so that i can just claim it as discrimination and get away with it :P

'FireKnife'

I'd be more worried about the points than the fine, to be honest. Those last a lot longer and can affect getting jobs and all sorts. Plus, you never know when you might end up getting more, and these 3 that you don't have to take could end up losing you your licence.

Well i will need to wait on the reply i get seeing as first they required my details (i am still registered in Scotland and the claim is from Newport, where yes i was driving). However they have put that it is an 'alleged offence' but make no note to how or where i can appeal. If they offer a picture then i can prove the van over-taking me set off the camera, however that is a perfect chance for them to deem that the driver in the van was also prosecuted or 'they can't diclose that information' making it harder to sort it all out.

Personally i just wish they would realise that they claim i am doing 40mph in a camera that is actually between a 40 and 30 crossover, if i turn out to be one side of the line made by the 30 signs it doesn't matter as i am doing 40 in the 40 area. The only issue i see with this is typical ganging that occurs within out justice system, why can't i be of a minority / disability / sexual preference so that i can just claim it as discrimination and get away with it :P

'FireKnife'

Ok so you've just had the notice of intended prosecution.

As you've done the right thing in being honest and saying you were the driver at the time, they'll move on to the prosectution, either it will go to court due to the speed that was recorded, or they'll offer you the option to pay and accept points, again you should not do that as you're innocent.

If it goes to court part of the form I was sent asked whether I was going to plead guilty or not, and to give details as to why.

If the camera was a Gatso you're in luck, the road markings can be used to calculate your actual speed, so you'll want both unedited photos taken by the camera.

Basically you want to kick up as much of a fuss as possible making them work for it, maybe they'll see sense and drop it, otherwise plead your case in court.

The only annoying factor is while i was doing 30 (at the most 31) when the camera went off i can't 100% guarentee that i was doing less than 30 when i entered the cameras radius, though this may be the deciding factor. What worries me is that they clocked me at 40mph, now if they said 32-33 i could say ok, fair play but at 40 it just doesn't feel right.

I am not worrying too much about this, i just don't want to take more time and effort going down this route only for it to be worse for me at the end, lets face it the only time the prosecution is superior to the defence is when it is a time that a governing body can squeeze money out of you.

'FireKnife'

Am I right in saying, if you pay the fine you get 3 points (that sucks eggs if thats the case. I know of people who have been pulled by police for speeding - over 10% of the limit - and they agreed to go on a course and pay a fine. That way, they didn't get the points)?

Also, you're not sure if you where doing 40mph (when the picture was taken) or less than 30mph?

Also, you're not sure if you where doing 40mph (when the picture was taken) or less than 30mph?

I am sure that while in the area the camera operates from, being a fixed point, that i wasn't doing more than 35 however when it flashed i was doing as near as makes no difference 30mph (so 29-31mph) so quite how they achieved 40mph on the 'information gathering and alleged accusation' sheet they sent i really don't know.

Oh and on the points it can be either 3 or 6 depending on who is issuing the fine and what they feel a suitable number, it has happened to a family member of mine when they did speed and admitted it they recieved 6 points instead of 3.

'FireKnife'

The only issues i have is that one i was doing 30 in that area (in fact 27 as speedometer is 3mph short)
The only annoying factor is while i was doing 30 (at the most 31)
when it flashed i was doing as near as makes no difference 30mph (so 29-31mph)

If I was you I would make sure that I had my story straight before going to court!

And as to why they would have a camera before the 30 zone starts sounds ridiculous.

I know of people who have been pulled by police for speeding - over 10% of the limit - and they agreed to go on a course and pay a fine. That way, they didn't get the points?

If I recall correctly from the time i took the course, there is a bracket. For a 30 zone, you're ok up to 33 (to allow for speedo/camera variance). 34-39 you're offered the "speed awareness course" (which is about £15-20 more but you avoid points), 40+ straight points and fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyway, finally heard back from my speeding fine, they plan to offer me a fixed £60 penalty for the SECOND time after i requested photographic evidence the first time, if they don't trump up with it, why should i pay the £60, no evidence, no trumped up conviction.

Also i changed the address on my insurance today, i have moved from a quaint village on the outside of a city to a quaint village on the outside of a city, so why the *fruitcage* does that cost £77 extra? Guess i am shopping around again next year, especially with 21+ and 3 years no claims.

'FireKnife'

It works on postcodes, plus the whims of insurance companies, who are legalised thieves with less moral integrity than street muggers.

If their database says that one more person made a claim in your new postcode area than your old one, then higher costs. Also, it's actually deemed a *higher* risk if you keep your car in a garage than on your drive, mad as that sounds. Apparently the theory is that people can't see what's happening in the garage so once the thief is inside they have privacy to do whatever they're doing, whereas on your drive people could see them (not that they'd do anything about it, in most cases)

As for the speeding ticket thing - yes, if they don't send you the evidence which you have a right to see, then don't pay. You should be on solid legal ground there - especially since you know you didn't actually speed, it was the overtaking vehicle that set off the camera.

As for the speeding ticket thing - yes, if they don't send you the evidence which you have a right to see, then don't pay. You should be on solid legal ground there - especially since you know you didn't actually speed, it was the overtaking vehicle that set off the camera.

Too bad that gives them one of those fantastic opportunities to say:

'yes we have already dealt with that driver',

'well can i see proof so i know i am not being incorrectly prosecuted?'

'well no the Data Protection Act says we can't release that infomation'

'so how do i know i am not falsely accused?'...........

But that leads me to another 'give me proof or i will not pay'. Plus i have kept a copy of all additional correspondence (had to twice inform them of a change of address and they still get the county district wrong) and all proof of posting so they can't really catch me out. At the end of the day though it is just a load of hassle i could do without.

Add to that this, not only have i been charged £77 by Direct Line but the reason i called was that after moving house in July and changing my plates in June i have informed them for the third time (yesterday, i informed them in July and October beforehand) to send me a proper insurance letter with my new details, because now i have had to take my car off the road as it isn't taxed (thankfully i have my MOT this week so it is away getting that done) but it is just getting on my nerves, how hard is it to enter onto a piece of paper a new address, a new registration and a company logo and banner then sign it? My V5C came back in 2 days with the new reg and info so why has it taken 4-5 months for Direct Line?

Ah well, get on with the day i say, hopefully one day i will actually have a decent job and cash to match, just have to wait out a bit of the pointless *suitcase* first :P

'FireKnife'

The photographic evidence of your accusation cannot be withheld under the data protection act. The details of the other driver's prosecution could - and should - be, since you don't need that information.

If you tax your car online, you don't need the insurance paperwork, just to HAVE insurance. The DVLA computer just searches the insurance database, sees a policy for your car and is happy.

Archived