My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Anyone remember when you could assume that someone who left school with some certificates would have decent abilities in Maths and English?

The missus has some job interviews coming up this week - every one of them has "numeracy and literacy assessment" as part of the application process. It's shameful when having qualifications is no longer considered proof of being able to do something to an acceptable standard.

And yet people still insist that the standards aren't dropping... :rolleyes:

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely.

I went to college last year to improve some of my qualifications and I was shocked at how far ahead of the curve I was, even though I had been out of school the longest (almost 10 years) and should therefore have been the rustiest at it all.

Worryingly enough, I ended up correcting 2 of the tutors on several occasions.

My wife is on Tramadol, beta blockers and a tri-cyclic anti-depressant as a sleeping pill.

Does help with the pain though.

Standards dropping?

At school I got a 3 © in Standard grade English.

I am sure you are all aware that I can be a meticulous grammar prat at times.

Today I was teaching Key Skills level 1 to a young soldier who got a GCSE grade C in English less than 5 years ago and who thinks that:

"Aswel", "Gunna" And "Spose" are real words. He put them in written homework.

In case you aren't a Faceberk those represent "as well", "going to" and "supposed".

I would laugh if it wasn't my job to teach him to do it properly.

I'm trying to find out what borough council look after this road Penntington Raod A572 between newton road and common road, heres a link:-

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=355201&y=395055&z=110&sv=pennington+lane&st=6&tl=Map+of+Pennington+Lane,+St.+Helens,+Merseyside,+WA9&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

St Helens council say the road belongs to Warrington and Warrington council say, it belongs to st helens. After looking on the internet ( which is not concrete proof, I know), all the signs seem to point to St Helens. Its driving me mad.

Basically, there is a huge hole in the road and it ruined two of my wifes wheels (the tires where repairable, but the wheels themselves are not) on her fiesta. When she rang up st helens council, they said a load of people had rung up and that the road belonged to warrington.

Well, if no one wants to lay claim to it, claim it as your own and setup a toll ha ha. But seriously, send a recorded letter to each of the councils informing they are each blaming the other so one is in the wrong and they'll have to get to the bottom of it.

Was supposed to get my salary today as it's payday. Guess what? The bank has *fruitcage*ed up the transaction so I won't get my money until monday.

This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that I'm going skiing in Italy tomorrow and need that cash in order to pay for a few important things. I *fruitcage* hate banks. The people who work there are lazy *albatrosses* who sit on their *albartroth* all day(well, pretty much) and they can't even make an automated transaction work properly.

GRRRRR.

@Habakure

Something similar happened on a road near me. Its between Leeds and Wakefield councils and neither thought they responsible for it.

One letter sent to the MP. Two weeks later it was fixed up.

I cant sleep at the moment, its annoying. Was up at 6 this morning, at work all day, now its nearly 11 and im wide awake and probably will be until 3am. been averaging 3.5/4 hours sleep tops each night this week. Usually I have 6/7 a night. So I'm feeling drained now.

Its not awful at the moment, but I had this happen before where it went to down to 3 hours a night sleep max, with a full day of work to follow.

Wondering if I should go to the docs and get something to help me sleep before it slides into silly levels again?

I finally get enough money to complete my Muzzelite 10/22 project. Then I go googling and find lots and lots of forums repeating the same thing:

"horrible trigger pull", "*suitcasey* trigger pull", "atrocious trigger pull"

And now I'm seriously considering backing out.

I cant sleep at the moment, its annoying. Was up at 6 this morning, at work all day, now its nearly 11 and im wide awake and probably will be until 3am. been averaging 3.5/4 hours sleep tops each night this week. Usually I have 6/7 a night. So I'm feeling drained now.

Its not awful at the moment, but I had this happen before where it went to down to 3 hours a night sleep max, with a full day of work to follow.

Wondering if I should go to the docs and get something to help me sleep before it slides into silly levels again?

Might be worth trying to fall into split sleeps, like humans used to a couple of hundred years ago, worked for me with insomnia at uni.

Have something to eat in the evening, not too heavy, go to bed and get 4 hours sleep, so say 7-11, then get up come online (avoid any threads that might work you up), read a book, then go back to bed just over 4 hours from when you need to wake up.

I got subjected to Geordie Shore.

I managed 5 mins before I put my headphones on and spent the rest of the evening creating a new Spotify playlist.

Seriously, *suitcase* like this is what is wrong with the youth of today.

(and I feel old having just typed that)

Don't worry Scorch, I feel the same way and I'm only 20! That show and its counter-part Jersey Shore honestly disgust me. How people watch that stuff today, I have no idea. Small things for small minds I suppose.

Ok, I'm still KINDA young, but even I agree that music today, for the most part, is shocking. Even compared with the stuff I was listening to when I was a young teen, which has nothing on a lot of the older music around, this modern pop stuff is just rubbish. Don't get me wrong, there are still fantastic artists out there, its just a shame that to find the good ones, you have to dig through piles and piles of absolute rubbish. That being said, I do appreciate the fact that it is a very "rose tinted glasses" sort of thing, as I'm sure at the time the Beatles were playing there were still many rubbish bands around that kinda swamped their popularity at least in the beginning. I think it's just a shame overall that so many sub-par bands are effectively drowning out the better ones over and over, and to find something really decent, you have to dig. Deep.

I'm doing the job of three people right now and I'm getting completely confused. I lost pretty much all work time on Tuesday due to some retarded meeting that ended up without any conclusions. I actually have no idea what I should be doing, as I can't focus on EVERYTHING AT ONCE.

I'm doing the job of three people right now and I'm getting completely confused. I lost pretty much all work time on Tuesday due to some retarded meeting that ended up without any conclusions. I actually have no idea what I should be doing, as I can't focus on EVERYTHING AT ONCE.

meeting.jpg

A friend of mine in the civil service just refuses to attend meetings as he's got too much work to do.

• 3 weeks later...

well, i'm rather glad i put off getting that dent in my car fixed for quite so long. you see, this morning i woke up to find that some kind hearted soul has added a rather fetching go faster stripe to my passenger side door and rear quarter (the panel that was kicked in earlier)

sadly it's not the aesthetic i was going for so it'll need to be repainted. on the bright side i'll have only had to pay for one lot of paint. woo hoo!

• 2 weeks later...

That's against eBay rules.

Then again, eBay is a major cause of grief recently - every time eBay.co.uk changes something, they make it worse. The most recent change means that your profile summary page only shows things you're buying, all the things you're selling are on another page. Well that's not a SUMMARY then, is it?

And don't even get me started on the banning sellers from leaving anything but positive feedback. :headbutt:

It's pretty stupid pulling it at the last minute as more often than not, I get a flurry of bids in the last 5 seconds or so. Listing something for less than you're happy with parting for it is just stupid. Especially when you list it for free on free listing weekends.

And yeah, that bugged me too when they removed the things you were selling from your summary. I thought maybe I had to change a setting or something after they updated. But no, just ebay being predictably retarded.

I wish Google would setup a rival auction and payment system. They would make a killing. I would drop ebay and paypal in a second and move over to Google. Even of the fees were the same.

Having watched the first two races on sky, I have to say, it is a poormans version of what the bbc can put together. Sky's mini documentrys before qualifying/race are no way near as good, as the bbc made ones (sky also repeats, an afwul lot. To be expect, as sky sports news only has a new story every hour). I can't see sky keeping formula 1, as I reckon people will not watch the race if it is also being shown on bbc1 (they still have silverstone an dmonaco, I believe).

Rant:- Waiting for the kwa kriss to be released and not knowing if its going to be delayed/######.

Fuggitting funk.

Edit:- I did not know, that the other word to describe poo (see *suitcase*), isn't allowed. Learnt something new today.

I have been watching the F1 on Sky Go and I concur.

Not really their fault but I was irritated on Sunday, 1 and a half hours of guff, 8 laps and a 45 minute break.

Up at 06:30/07:30 and didn't see any racing until 9/10ish.

Racing was good though, the rain made it interesting, shame about Button though. Perez was flying.

Most of the races in a similar time zone to us are going to be on the BBC.

Archived