My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought myself another Dan Abnett book on eBay and started applying for something else while still on the phone receiving my interview feedback. ;)

Apparently it was a close run thing, not that that makes it any nicer for me.

I don't get why they say that, it is almost like 'lets see what you could have won?'. But i suppose it does help with knowing that it wasn't because you were a complete tool.

Anyway, i was planning a little target practice and getting my idea for a pistol event setup, about to go and run a few courses in the morning and 'owww' my wrist is playing up. I can just about level a pistol but it bloody hurts after a while. The worst thing is that when i got in to work today i was told i had to do a write up which will make it worse :(

Ah well, sure it will fix itself soon enough and i can get back to firing my pistols two handed.

'FireKnife'

Or just use a dinky lightweight pistol?

Surely you have a plastic bodied detonics or something?

Annoyingly even that isn't much lighter and i still have issues, well at least it is clearing up, yay. And before anyone suggests, it is not my 'alone time hand', that one works fine :P

Got my final uni grade through, achieving a 2.1 despite having below 50% attendance, writing my 10k word dissertation in 4 days and submitting two essays late due to being in Dubai.

And that is a bad thing how? :P I have a missus that is putting her heart and soul into doing a History and English course at Uni and is getting a predicted 2.1 in her final year if she keeps it up.

'FireKnife'

I forgot to add that I had to go into the Job Centre and sign on, despite me being on the road to a job already, it was depressing seeing some of the people in there, not to mention knowing that when I do start working many of those in their will be spending the money on more alcohol and cigarettes!

Ah the Job Centre, if ever you contemplate suicide you can always go there and see that yes, there are people much, much wosre off than you :P

I remember the one time i signed on, then got a job the next week and a proper job a week after that, they still gave me one payment of dole money, think that went on a TM Series 70 ;)

'FireKnife'

After you sign off, you're still entitled to I think it's two weeks' dole money - the theory being that you won't actually get paid from your job until you've been working there for a while, so you need money to buy food in the meantime.

But they offered me that after i had signed off, the first one was my regular payment and then the second one for the two week gap before work paid me. I refused it though as really i don't think i should have been on the dole in the first place, i don't have an issue with it or the system, i just don't like to 'borrow' or owe money to people.

But either way my rant, went for a wander to fix a log in issue at a PC. Turns out they had CAPS on all the time. Ah well i get paid a lot to do this and that counted as work, and not my fault they are idiots, so really it is a win for me :P

'FireKnife'

There are two types of dole, contribution based and income based. When I signed off in 2006 (contribution based), they stopped my money on that date, and I didn't get an extra two weeks. Maybe this is something new?

New rant; having to send back a faulty item and having to pay for postage (sending it recorded so that they can't just say "we havn't received it yet").

But they offered me that after i had signed off, the first one was my regular payment and then the second one for the two week gap before work paid me. I refused it though as really i don't think i should have been on the dole in the first place, i don't have an issue with it or the system, i just don't like to 'borrow' or owe money to people.

Nah, I figure that I've paid plenty of taxes while I was working, so now I'm entitled to take everything I'm allowed to have. At least I put something in, not like these sponging scumbags who are second- or third-generation dole spongers and never do a days' work their whole lives, just sit at home drinking, smoking, taking drugs and popping out more kids to get more child support money.

There are two types of dole, contribution based and income based. When I signed off in 2006 (contribution based), they stopped my money on that date, and I didn't get an extra two weeks. Maybe this is something new?

I think I was on income-based, but I don't really recall now.

Driving 150 miles, and 3 hours to a job interview, arriving over an hour early (i underestimated the length of time it would take me, fast car is fast(er than my old car)) filling out forms for an hour on badly photocopied, wonky, misaligned forms, reading the T&C's closely (why were there T&C's at an interview?!) and finding out that by signing, you opt out of the european working time directives (or whatever they're called, the regulations that say you can't work over 48 hours a week in a 17 week period or whatever), signed anyway, get to interview (finally),

first question asked "when did you finish at X job?"

"Um, i havent finished yet, i'm still employed there" (as it says ON MY *fruitcage* FORMS)

"oh, ok, how much notice do you have to give?"

"4 weeks" (AS IT *fruitcage* SAYS ON MY *fruitcage* FORMS)

"4 weeks? oh, we don't have any vacancies that far in advance. All the other applicants here today will start work before the end of the week."

Livid doesn't begin to describe it.

That is bloody insulting and to be honest, *fruitcage* bang out of order.

The only time I've heard of that happening, is when its agency or the original work force has been laid off (and the new work force will be on less pay. They too - the new/replacement workforce - will be laid off, when they reach the increase in pay fresh hold).

4 weeks is a standard notice period and who the hell interviews for a job vacancy the week before it needs filling???

My job got back to me within three days of my interview and due to liking me / needing a new start next week i was in the job within 10 days, but that was special circumstances, i did have to attend an induction two weeks later with the staff that were just starting, by which i knew all the safety priciples anyway (were i work there are hundreds). But it is rare that you get a job within such a short time, but these things happen. As for expecting you to leave within the week and getting you to sign away the 48 hours a week is just taking the mick.

'FireKnife'

Yup. what makes it worse is i'm 85% certain i was asked if i had to work any notice when i phoned up to schedule the interview in teh first place.

Oh well. fireball weekender this weekend, should take my mind off it a bit! picking up an M60, get sooome!

Lots of jobs have "waivers" to sign regarding the European Working Time Directive. How legal they actually are is something I'm not clear about.

I think part of it is to allow people to work "overtime" but mostly it's just so the company can screw you over a bit more.

Edit - Totally jealous about the FB weekender too. I need to get back into mainstream airsofting...

Im only going as the 'nam team of IRC regs decided that fireball would be more social/fun than a proper vietnam weekend. should be a laugh though.

Got 16 bottles of Adnams finest (ghost ship, lovely stuff) in the boot of my car ready (picked them up during my lunch).

Need to finish fine-tuning the R hop in my AK though. its still over-hopping 0.25's with zero hop applied....

Nice, wish i had a weekender to go to, scratch that, a bloody site to go too :(

'FireKnife'

There's supposedly a site an hour an 14 minutes away, but they always schedule weekenders. Oh look, a bunch of rec/scenario games on sat/sun.

"checks work schedule every week"

Nope, the managers bungle around with making the rest of the younger cart staff work other jobs (kitchen, proshop, etc) instead of assigning them actual full shift days outside, but for me they still use to fill in the spots, especially the weekends, which no one ever wants to work.

Oh well, gotta keep building up the savings "Looks at LCT NV RPK with a glint in the eyes".

My Fiancée is in hospital. :(

With a viral infection in her central nervous system. :fear2:

Due to her history, she gets extremely anxious when left alone, particularly at night, and especially in hospitals. But they won't let me stay with her. Oh no, I have to go home, "to ensure that the patient gets to rest" - newsflash, numbskull, she won't sleep without me there! :headbutt:

Whatever happened to putting the patients' needs first, instead of applying some blanket rule to everyone, regardless of what the circumstances are.

If she doesn't sleep tonight, tomorrow I will refuse to leave and they'll have to drag me out. That'll look good in the paper, right? "Critically ill disabled woman traumatised when her carer dragged from her bedside by hospital staff"

Archived