My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, must add mine to the 'sorry to hear' pile. As lets face it, a death is a bad thing but one that close to you is the worst :( Hate to sound rude and ask but was it sudden or something like reaching a good old age?

Oh and Scorch, hope you step-dad is ok and gets better soon.

'FireKnife'

He's back home and doing ok. Got a #ahem#load of tests to look forward to over the next few weeks though.

Just a real shame my brother had to see it happen.

By brother i assume half or step brother?

Also might want to clean up that post in case the mods see it ;)

'FireKnife'

So, there's no way to source an ACM MP7 AEG, UMP is a no as well, the only KOO Defense Carbine Kit for TM G18 in stock might be a mistake on the shop's part and I'm broke anyway. Well, I just want more stuff than I can reasonably afford, and lately most of it will be most often used for photo ops only.

Hate to sound rude and ask but was it sudden or something like reaching a good old age?

Not rude at all.

It's a funny situation. He's had cancer since 2005. Bowel/colon then. 3 major ops to remove a food few feet of guts. 6 monthly checks to see how he was progressing, along with chemotherapy. Had checkups knocked down to a year, and went for his yearly one last year, all the time everything being well. They found a mass in his chest, which MRI and X ray confirmed to be lung cancer, taking up approx 3/4 of his left lung. was told this was terminal, but could take years.

Chemo for that, and then he got eyesight problems. More tests diagnosed a brain tumour in december. So christmas was was fun.

An op in January took 95% of that out, and some radiotherapy helped his lung too.

Also he's been in and out of hospital many times with pneumonia, and nearly died from that the Christmas before last. That wasn't fun either.

Aaaanyway, on Thursday just gone, he goes in to see his consultant for test results. These are good - lung tumour shrunk to a fraction of its former size, and remenants of the brain tumour are not moving/growing, which his consultant was very surprised and pleased about.

Did I mention last Thursday was his 37th wedding anniversary, so it seemed like good news for him and mum.

Friday morning, mum offers him a brew before she goes to work, but he was asleep in his chair in the lounge. Around 3pm, she calls me to heck on him, as he didn't really wake up when she called in then (she finished work for a doctors appointment). I work next to their house aI popped in.

He's freezing cold, literally covered in sweat, and no idea who I am or what's going on. I call 999, and a first responder arrives within 4 minutes.

Ambulance gets there in 15, which is fast considering how out in the sticks we are.

Blood sugar is low, BP is low, and he won't have oxygen on, batting us away. We lift him into a chair for loading, get him on the wagon, hook him up and no pulse. He's arrested in the time it took to get him 20 feet to the ambulance. They start working on him and shoot off, I wait for mum to drive her.

We get to the hospital and told they couldn't revive him, which in my heart I knew when I saw him in the back of the ambulance.

They think the chemo damaged his heart, which he was due to go for tests for in the next couple of weeks. There may be a post mortem.

Tl:dr he was terminal, but it was unexpected.

Apologies for the long post, but it feels good to get it off my chest a bit (unlike dad :P)

Edit, that the second close family member I've watched die while trying to help them.

Sounds like he stuck through it, but this is the thing it always gets to a point that no matter how good a fighter you are it just isn't going to be forever.

Sad to hear, but at least it sounds like he made it to a good age and held on as long as he could. At least it was something you could plan for in a way, while death is a bad thing, it wasn't like a sudden strike and it wasn't like you are a 10yr old trying to contemplate why your Dad hasn't come home one day. Sorry that sounds like i am trying to sugar coat it, but i hope you see the point i am making.

Either way sorry to hear. :(

'FireKnife'

Nope, I get what you're saying. It's funny, folk do tread on eggshells around you when something like this happens, and all I want is to be treated normally!

Just found out the coroner is doing a post mortem too.

This:

US row over Congressman Todd Akin's rape remark

The stupid hurts my brain.

This guy is clearly a walking advert for retroactive abortion - he's too stupid and bigoted to live, never mind hold public office and power over other people's lives.

I say the gene pool is stagnant, and it's time to administer the chlorine.

Nope, I get what you're saying. It's funny, folk do tread on eggshells around you when something like this happens, and all I want is to be treated normally!

Just found out the coroner is doing a post mortem too.

Good, most people i know prefer the eggshells approach, i do it just as you are more likely to meet a touchy person than a non-touchy one. I prefer the whole have a party to celebrate what that person did in their life not mourn their death.

EDIT: Hedge, he is a Republican, a person that is possibly one step away from writing up a final solution so i, like many igonre him as i don't see him getting into office soon, if he does though we should all just shut off from the US and let them think happy, happy thoughts. It isn't just the stupid politicians, it is also the morons that back him.

'FireKnife'

EDIT: Hedge, he is a Republican, a person that is possibly one step away from writing up a final solution so i, like many igonre him as i don't see him getting into office soon, if he does though we should all just shut off from the US and let them think happy, happy thoughts. It isn't just the stupid politicians, it is also the morons that back him.

'FireKnife'

He's already *IN* office though - he's a Congressman. I don't know that much about the American government, but I'm pretty sure that means he's been elected to sit as part of one of the highest government bodies in the USA. Or something.

naughty word removed, appeared to be a genuine mistake so no harm done. I'll get one of the 'proper' mods on it asap.

rant: just got an email saying i've been accepted onto the mechwarrior online beta... while i dont have my computer to play it on. GODDAMNIT.

Shmook, I feel your loss, dude, for both your family members.

Having lost both my parents 18 days apart, I know largely what you are going through, and I think you are going the best way about things. When I went through my losses, I insisted on doing all the estate paperwork, tidying the house for the funeral party etc to give me something to do, to stop me just sitting down and breaking up.

Condolences to you and your family at this time.

Very interesting excavators. And jackhammers. And of course it's too hot to work with windows closed.

Seriously, was it so hard to put some A/C in this building, and not only on the last two floors and conference rooms? I swear to god, one day I'll go postal over that.

Archived