My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well one day you will annoy the wrong low life, scum bucket, back of the sink muck that thinks it is ok to walk around with a kitchen knife down his back pocket, knowing that he can get out of it if he pulls it on anyone. :P

Though in the same situation it might not be that you are murdered but you take said knife and turn it back on them, plunge it through their neck and end up doing 20-life for doing society a favour ;)

My rant, i don't have one, can't rant at the weather for making my flat hot then cold, that is what it does when it changes. Could rant at the council for blocking my entrance on to the main road but they gave me three days forewarning and it is only closed until tomorrow night. So really it is not like i have much to say about :P.

'FireKnife'

So, my two-year contract with Orange expires in October. I'd love a new phone, but what they have to offer with a plan that isn't insanely priced is either utter *suitcase* or stupidly expensive. I'm eyeing an unlocked smartphone from a Chinese sweatshop (comparable to a Samsung Galaxy S2 and half as expensive), but we all know how ACM stuff is, especially when it comes to precision engineering. One time it works, ten times it doesn't. And it still costs 170 bucks shipped, via UPS or DHL which means 23% VAT on top of that. Seriously, we have most probably the highest VAT in the EU and those jackasses in the govt are doing their darndest to fleece us even more.

Just do what i did. Get a cheap, basic phone that works and make use of other forms of communication like meeting people, using the internet (email etc) and get people to phone you. Why should you always have to spend time phoning people when they have a contract and can phone you :P.

Plus my £7 phone has not let me down in almost two years (got in the same day i met the present missus so it has been with me as long as she has :P)

'FireKnife'

Just do what i did. Get a cheap, basic phone that works and make use of other forms of communication like meeting people, using the internet (email etc) and get people to phone you. Why should you always have to spend time phoning people when they have a contract and can phone you :P.

Well, let's start with the pretty obvious fact that today's phones can use internet, and they do. Also, if I needed a phone that can be used to call people and nothing else, I wouldn't be bothered - they do have all sorts of *suitcasey* *suitcase* phones for less than a quid (lookidim, Middle Eastern Europe), but I want something more advanced. My current phone, for example, has no GPS - Google Maps is a luxury, and I still have to punch my coords in manually before I can figure out where to go. That and the Nokia Facebook app is utter *suitcase* (I use my phone to check FB at work).

So really you use it for something that a £5 map could do :P?

Also i hate the answer 'i use it for Facebook'. No offence to anyone but i hate Facebook, it is just another example of how we are shutting ourselves in and not getting out and actually making human contact. Yes it has 10% useful stuff, but the 90% left is just status updates that no-one really cares about, for idiots to have affairs and for people with things that no-one wants to go to for promotion. :D

Still also you save a fair bit not using phone internet as it isn't really internet just a cut down copy that doesn't offer the same and is still limited by Mb, can't remember the last time i had a Mb limit, or even a Gb limit under about 10 :P

'FireKnife'

So what was it then? A pretzel?

Still why did you have to buy a £300 phone to replace it? Was there something specific about it?

'FireKnife'

IIRC he'd routed it and as such voided the insurance. TBH it didn't surprise me, it's little different to driving a car with undeclared mods at the end of the day.

It's true a lot of people only use about 5% of their fancy phones. Calls, texts, FB, check. The rest of us need them as a mobile office and make full use of their features. Reading spreadsheets, word documents, setting up wireless access points e.t.c.

My Internet on my phone is full Internet. Maybe because I have an Android and not an iPhone :P I have 3GB monthly allowance so not really an issue.

Yes, my phone was rooted.

I see your point about undeclared mods but I broke my phone's screen in my pocket.

That is like a meteor hitting your car and them not paying out because you had a bumper sticker, it is irrelevant.

I needed a £300 pound phone to match the functionality of the Dell Streak 5 I already had.

Large screen, MHL, OTG, capacity to operate external hard drives, removable SD card etc. etc., I see what you are saying about most people not using the full capacity of their devices but I am not one of them.

And I almost never go on Faeces Book.

Just when my brother is in Mali, to keep in touch.

I got rid of facebook, to get rid of fake friends that tend to build up when you sign up. Still on twitter though.

I got tired of having to hide certain peoples comments, so after a while I thought, time to delete my facebook. Whats the point of being on there, if I can't stand most of the updates people make, and who I never see, or have any interest in? Boom.

Rant:- Being called an idiot, for giving away most of my star wars collection to charity (toys). I won't put on here how I responed, as I was a wee bit harsh.

Personally, I think you're a bit daft not to have sold them to a collector with more money than sense, given what they're worth in mint condition. But it's very generous of you to give them to charity and I understand your reasoning. More power to you, I say.

I would have said sell them on for the price they would fetch. Then take said cash and give it to the charity. While i see your point about kids playing with them maybe the cash would be more beneficial in the long run?

As for phones and smart phones. I can see why those that use it as a business device or don't have a better way to use the internet etc on the go (like a netbook / laptop) might have one but why does every one else need one and spend so much bloody money on one? Most just feel like a cmpacted version of other handheld devices shoved in to one, which means you end up having one battery supply to run five things and soon they just don't work or run out. Still i have never been an advocate of living your life through your phone and don'tsee why people do. :P

'FireKnife'

So really you use it for something that a £5 map could do :P?

Also i hate the answer 'i use it for Facebook'. No offence to anyone but i hate Facebook, it is just another example of how we are shutting ourselves in and not getting out and actually making human contact. Yes it has 10% useful stuff, but the 90% left is just status updates that no-one really cares about, for idiots to have affairs and for people with things that no-one wants to go to for promotion. :D

First, I don't always have enough pocket capacity to carry a map. Second, checking Facebook occasionally proves useful, for example when I'm going to a photo op (the photography group communicates via FB) and want to check if there are any last-minute details.

I got rid of facebook, to get rid of fake friends that tend to build up when you sign up. Still on twitter though.

I got tired of having to hide certain peoples comments, so after a while I thought, time to delete my facebook. Whats the point of being on there, if I can't stand most of the updates people make, and who I never see, or have any interest in? Boom.

Odd, I never had a problem with "fake friends", not to mention hiding comments. Maybe that's because my contact list is pretty short, categorized and I just happen to kick people out when they start posting annoying ######.

First, I don't always have enough pocket capacity to carry a map. Second, checking Facebook occasionally proves useful, for example when I'm going to a photo op (the photography group communicates via FB) and want to check if there are any last-minute details.

Odd, I never had a problem with "fake friends", not to mention hiding comments. Maybe that's because my contact list is pretty short, categorized and I just happen to kick people out when they start posting annoying ######.

Like i said you do get the 10% that FB is useful for and thus you fall into that category. It is the rest that just post ###### and tell you al about what they had for tea etc. :P

Still i have just never got smart phones and have never liked FB.

'FireKnife'

Like i said you do get the 10% that FB is useful for and thus you fall into that category. It is the rest that just post ###### and tell you al about what they had for tea etc. :P

Well, I do post random ###### often, mostly wordplay, silly images and political rants (some of my friends are shocked I can be THAT vitriolic), but there are limits. There's a local Twitter-like service, where I'm apparently the sole user of "#randomcrap" hashtag. (some of things posted there are things I actually said, I recall blowing off a Mormon preacher with a line "Sorry, mommy told me not to take candy or salvation from strangers.")

Apart from that, my paycheck still hasn't come.

Sounds like you use the internet for the right mix of debate and humour, good on you.

It is the people that fill the world with ######, you know those that fill Wikis with un-true facts (and i mean as in claiming the 1911 was made in 1914 and such), post on Twitter about how they get one going to TOWIE or think they are amazing just as they have over 1000 links (or friends as they call them) on FB.

Those, along with the chavs, the fat people that have no excuse, the inbreeders, the benefit scroungers and the excessivelt religious street preachers are the ones that worry me. Oh and for a little controversy the ones that want Scottish Independence, erm, just no. :P

'FireKnife'

Also, I want a KWA Kriss. That is an US exclusive. And very costly.

Wait, I actually have a pretty long wishlist. Mostly airsoft.

Then buy them? You can live on Econo-beans, trust me :P.

Also what is it with this KWA USA exclusive bull-*suitcase*? I mean seriously i understand the ATP but the Kriss?

'FireKnife'

Moving house. Ugh.

Spending near on £250 on fuel for a van than only cost £120 to rent, having to make two trips as we've got too much stuff to fit in long wheel base high top Mercedes specter (very large van), and driving neat enough 1000 miles on under 48 hours on not much more than 5 hours sleep each night, and copious amounts of caffeine via Costa coffee and energy drinks.

Oh, and it rained the entire time, too.

Oh, and average speed check cameras. Grr.

Archived