My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Do you regularly use your PC for games?

YES. It's a pretty powerful, if a tad outdated gaming rig.

Also, it turned out from a quick check using Ubuntu and Hiren's Recovery CD that the HDD is *fruitcage*ED. That's with a capital F. Loads of bad sectors that can't be recovered even by using HDAT. I'm also afraid that there may be something wrong with the motherboard as well, as the drive plays hide and seek with both Win7 installer/recovery and HRCD, and HRCD behaves similarly (but not the same way, the error messages are different) with another drive that malfunctioned a year ago due to power failure and hit a few bad sectors.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stunt, just stop talking. You are making me jealous with all your breakfasts and gbbs and computers and car stuff :(

Rant: absolutely bone weary for some reason. Also I really need to go airsofting soon. Any (good) sites near York? Checked on airbana but it's thin on the ground out here...

Sorry ish.

Don't know about York but you might need to borrow my SCUBA gear if you want to play there.

I'm in Yorkshire next week.

I hope the weather isn't too apocalyptic.

Rant - my wife is having a bad day today and now she has had her application to be registered disabled refused.

The lady at her support group said they do it to almost everyone to see if you are serious.

WTF? Deny all applications just to see if they are serious enough to apply a second time?

What kind of retarded *suitcase* is that?

You have just doubled your workload you idiots. How about you spend a bit of extra time to do it right the first time?

Anything upt to but not including twice the time will save you money.

Morons.

WTF? Deny all applications just to see if they are serious enough to apply a second time?

What kind of retarded *suitcase* is that?

You have just doubled your workload you idiots. How about you spend a bit of extra time to do it right the first time?

Anything upt to but not including twice the time will save you money.

Sounds stupid but it is so annoyingly true. They reject the first one straight away sometimes only to await a second one. But this is what happens when you have too many people that scam benefits for a variety of reasons, ask the missus' father who works as a Newcastle area benefits claims investigator, some of the claims he sees are worrying and ludicrous.

'FireKnife'

Fog.

Don't come to Scotland, we have 10 foot high signs about 10 feet off the ground telling you that there is fog, in giant letters. As though you wouldn't have worked that out by the fact you can't see further than 20m in front of you and in some cases can't see the sign, making it a total waste.

'FireKnife'

Work.

Our internal database, that I need for work, is unavailable due to data migration and the morons at Brussels apparently mistook their dev and public website uploads and posted a link to some kind of beta version of their service I use. And they never once notified anyone such things might happen. On Friday. The deadline day. Thank god I do my job a week before each deadline, so if I'm chasing anyone to get the papers for the Brussels folk, that means THEY screwed up, not me.

So I'm thinking "*fruitcage* this *suitcase*, I'm getting a SSD to work as a system drive". Sure, but the question is "what brand of SSD?" There are like four different models from OCZ with the same capacity, and then there are others, Kingstons (which, I heard, are *suitcasey*), Patriots, Intels, Samsungs and some fly-by-night ###### called A-Data.

Ah hell, I'll look for reviews tomorrow. I really need to reanimate this computer ASAP.

Never had an issue with any of the Kingston stuff I have used. But then most things seem to work for me, working in IT you either have a 5m aura in which thinks don't work or do work. :P

My rant? Well I am not sure, ok here is one, why can't I go to my local Tesco and say 'I will be here at midnight tonight, please have a copy of Resident Evil 6 waiting for me'? Seriously, they have no pre-orders, no way of getting it until it appears on shelves and wont hold back for customers, even by a say 'if your not here by 00:15 it goes back on sale' kind of thing. Ah well, it is only 5 mins from me at that time of night so sod it may as well just make the drive. Might that way end up with it before one of the guys I work with who has pre-ordered it and taken time off to play it, but then I am out tomorrow and wont be able to play it. Damn first world problems. :P

'FireKnife'

+1 on Ubuntu. I run it on old and new if not gaming. My rig boots it in sub 30 second (from the boot loader menu.. ) no SSDs etc (plenty of RAM and CPU though). There are faster distros, but none as user friendly.

Gripe for the day: People replying to sales threads with "Whats the lowest price you would accept?"..

Would rather them make me a *suitcase* offer

Wait when did this turn in to the Computer thread? :P

Anyway my gripe for the day, it wont be until 10pm at the earliest that I play the new Resi tonight. Yes I might get some action and might have a nice meal out but sometimes you just want to play Resi (first world problems again).

;)

'FireKnife'

It turned into the computer thread when people started talking about computers :P.

Rant: I'm thinking I might sell 90% of my airsoft gear. I've got too much of it, there arent any decent looking skirmish sites near me, unless I'm planning to drive 2 hours. At which point I might as well drive the extra two hours and go back to gunman Tuddenham...

I'd keep an aeg (torn between AKS-74 and the m60 though) and possibly buy either an M79 or 1911 carbine kit to fill the 'gas goes bewm!' hole...

Tis a shame but I'd rather have a decent lathe and a laser cutter and and and and...

It turned into the computer thread when people started talking about computers :P.

Rant: I'm thinking I might sell 90% of my airsoft gear. I've got too much of it, there arent any decent looking skirmish sites near me, unless I'm planning to drive 2 hours. At which point I might as well drive the extra two hours and go back to gunman Tuddenham...

I'd keep an aeg (torn between AKS-74 and the m60 though) and possibly buy either an M79 or 1911 carbine kit to fill the 'gas goes bewm!' hole...

Tis a shame but I'd rather have a decent lathe and a laser cutter and and and and...

Awww diddums, at least you have some sites within a decent distance of you, ok or not. The nearest to me is about 2hrs away and it can be absolute wazz.

Anyway if you have any pistols to sell, you know who to PM :P

'FireKnife'

Archived