My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

*ahem*

British and proud of it.

I am Scottish and my location (and yours) says United Kingdom.

Manifestly not English though.

No offence meant, it was an off-the-cuff attempt at humour!

*grumbles about the jocks getting uppity again and being pedantic*

:P

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*grumbles about the jocks getting uppity again and being pedantic*

Wait until you ask one to buy something, damn do they hate that. :P

Saying that it feels weird up here in Aberdeen as you have lots of people that have moved here because of the oil business etc, so you get all sorts of different accents and nationalities.

'FireKnife'

'FireKnife'

I have just spent 14 minutes and 38 seconds on hold to EDF Energy at work. The song 'Take on me' is not just stuck in my head. It has been installed into the very depths of my conscious being; It has been spot-welded to an iron plate in the back of my mind. A-Ha's take on me is now a part of my psyche, a dark, terrible presence eating away at the back of my tortured brain. Holy titty*fruitcage*ing *suitcase*balls christ, if I ever hear that song again I will track down the writer of that song and scream 'TAKE ON ME' into his or her ear until he or she goes utterly, irrevocably, totally, incomprehensibly bat*suitcase* *fruitcage* loopy.

Why is it that Arnie's has a separate country category for the Isle of Man, while every other bit of the British Isles gets lumped in under United Kingdom?

Just wonderin'...

That would be because the Isle of Man isn't part of the UK. It is a sovereign state with possibly the oldest continuous democratic government in the world, the Tynwald, which dates back to 976. Citizens of the Isle of Man are NOT British, they are Manx, they pay no taxes to or receive any benefits from the UK. However the Manx government has strong links with the British government and the UK provides Defence and Foreign Office services, amongst other things, for which the Manx government pays significant amounts of money every year.

Your question is like saying why is there a separate country category for Canada when all the rest of North America gets lumped under the United States. Except even less accurate, because the Republic of Ireland has its own category too, and that's also part of the British Isles. But it's not part of the UK (any more).

Because the IOM doesn't always come under UK laws and other things. Often a competition that takes place in the 'UK' may not include ROI, IOM or the Channel Islands.

'FireKnife'

The Isle of Man doesn't *ever* come under UK law. It has its own laws, many of which are similar to the laws of the UK, but many are not. For example, when the MoT test was brought into the UK, the IoM decided not to bother following suit and continued with the practise of having random roadside checks instead, which is arguably better.

Any contest or similar event which is only open to UK residents by definition excludes people from Eire, the IoM, Jersey, Guernsey and the various other islands which aren't part of the UK. In the same way that it excludes people from France or China.

Nope, it's not part of the EU either. They like their independence over there, probably the Viking heritage.

No, basic geography and details about sovereign nations within your own territorial waters are something that seems lacking in the UK education system. I remember studying geography all through school, all the way up to GCSE level at 16 and it was all about recycling and pollution and rainfall and stuff, which isn't *actually* geography in the strictest sense of the word...

All the subjects are like that these days, even science is a waste of time until at least A-Level....

Why is it that Arnie's has a separate country category for the Isle of Man, while every other bit of the British Isles gets lumped in under United Kingdom?

Just wonderin'...

IOM:

Great Britain, no.

United Kingdom, no.

British Isles, yes.

Those three things are totally different, IOM is awesome and I love it there.

Yeah, all natural geography.

I can tell you exactly how a hill finds its perfect angle dependant on prevailing rock type in the area, but I'm completely in the dark as to why the score is with the IOM, Jersey and Guernsey.

Since you're the resident IOM expert Hedge, I have a question.

Are all cats there Manx cats or are there regular ones too?

There are regular ones too. More than the Manx ones, actually, I think having regular ones around is breeding out the spinal deformity that makes Manx cats have no tails....

Are you ###### us or what !!!

Shouldn't that be are you *suitcase*-ing us or what? :P

Still it is like telling people about premature ejaculation, it is worrying and after you tell everyone they feel less about you, even if they wont admit it :D

'FireKnife'

I moved back to HK and now have access to all these lovely airsoft shops and amazing prices...

But most of the local players are totally f**kc**ting w**ks**ts and most of the local sites are a bucket of s**tc**ting arsebishop compared to the sites I played at in the UK. :(

Also I can't get leave to go to the crimbo Arnie's Game at Reading. :(

well now you've come out fireknife, yes, I do think less of you :P

I last long enough and with only the holes it is intended to go in (stupid restrictive GF) :P

I feel sorry for you Darklite, if it wasn't for work I am sure we could have all raised a bit to help you get here.

Still it is like me, lots of guns and choice to order online, but the only site near me, well lets not go into that. Add in that up here the council is screwing over any attempt I am making of getting a site.

'FireKnife'

Work is brilliant: Found out the business is moving from Castleford to Sheffield (28 miles). I currently travel 3 miles to work.

So from nov 5th, my commute will be 28 miles longer (I have to drive past the old office on the way to the new one..) each way, take 50 minutes longer each way and will increase my mileage per year by a whopping 12992 miles.

They have offered a compensation thing, but that turns out after tax, student loan etc, and considering fuel costs to be £1000 less than the extra petrol will cost.

So same job, longer commute, more wear/tear on car for essentially £1000 a year less cash in my pocket.

Yay

Archived