My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting gift cards as a gift is like your friend or relative saying "I care about you this much, I just don't trust you not to spend it on women and weed."

Hang on my local strip joint does gift cards? :P

As for getting one a friend of mine got one on his 18th and his Mum said not to spend it on alcohol. It was for Tesco, yeah like he was going to buy his daily shop with it :rolleyes:.

'FireKnife'

Gift cards are like lending money to someone who might die before you get to see them again to get it back ,,,,, comet did the same but suspended their cards before the administrators had even come in . Same with jepsoms , border line legal/ illegal whichever way you look at it .. But who are you going to be able to sue after the fact . No one is the answer .. Better to get a prepaid debit card as a gift for someone !

While I agree that the company is a pile of tripe it is the lower level employees I feel sorry for.

Look at Gamestation who are / were owned by Game. One day the staff turn up to a store with a ringing phone, they answer it and get told that the shop is closed, go home, your redundancy will be sent to your house. It was that brutal sadly.

At this rate for music and video games, there just won't be any choice other than to buy online.  To be honest your video game and music company actually want this I think, they make more money if we all buy digital copied.

They will also lose customer loyalty , return business and also the birthday / christmas present buyers by going digital . A lot of older people still don't use computers and a hell of a lot don't trust Internet buying at all . So will probably not bother unless its in a supermarket ...

However one day those old people will pass on and the next generation of 40-50 year olds now will become the new old people. These people will have many more internet users and slowly it will emerge that internet shopping is the way to go.

Most businesses, save for supermarkets, take-aways and things you can't do online (which isn't much now, you can even order a prostitute to your house if you live in some cities) will crumble eventually.

It is just the way of the world, selling in a shop will always cost more than selling online.

As for gift vouchers I have only ever bought one and that was for the GF this year for New Look as she is one of these 'size 8 in this shop, size 10 in this and size 12 trousers due to her hips' kind of girl :P.

'FireKnife'

All sounds rosy at the moment , until goverments start taxing the businesses heavier to make up for the lost business rates , parking fees/ fines and then it will cost the same as a shop !!

Still wont rival the cost of a shop.

If it ever gets that high then companies will just move to another country and outsource the shop into the UK for delivery, this will drive up postage costs, people wont have it and then we will have another reason for an uprise, sadly one that wont come as we are British, we can *badgeress* and moan but only once have we ever been a Republic and that only lasted a few years were we went under a dictatorship.

As stupid as the modern Government is they wont be that stupid. I just feel sorry for those that are losing there jobs that are the low end workers, best to just look at something else the first time you hear your company is floundering.

'FireKnife'

I wouldn't be so sure with the stupidity of the recent goverments anything is possible .

I think there has also been a big change in the market due to migration and their different style of shopping needs . with most of the newer immigrants not being as label / brand orientated as the existing citizens , hence designer brands are not so in demand , same with electrical goods , foodstuffs, clothing etc

Have also noted a trend for retailers to be the same price online as they are Instore . so the greediness has already started with them . If people are still buying at full price online the rest will soon follow and jack up their prices as they know they can get away with it and people will still buy their products regardless .

Guess what I'm going to say.

Yes, it's "*fruitcage* the European Commission". Again. I just finished completing the list of their unreasonable demands for the purposes of completely unnecessary audit coming in the next two weeks. Bunch of nitwitted, intrusive berks.

How is that going at the moment?

Have heard about the French getting involved and the death of a few others but when is the whole big push?

Ah BBC tells me that is was about an hour ago. Well that sounds like it is going to go wrong.

I know people *badgeress* at this whole 'arming people in US schools' and they are right to deny guns near schools but really, they couldn't have at least given them something here to put up a fight? Seems like the kind of place that trouble could easily erupt, as proven.

'FireKnife'

Difficult to get details... 

Current reports are that they've basically flown over with a chopper, and the door gunner got a bit trigger happy.

Seems he took more hostages out than terrorists, but given the nature and fluidity of the situation - Don't quote me on it.

Just amazes me, than having been offered international (trained and professional) assistance - and declined.... They're steaming in on their own.

No doubt they'll have their hands out for a few million $ to train a force up afterwards (and spend it on solid gold BMWs or somesuch).

The biggest issue with African nations though is that you get an Army that is only different from the militia in the fact they have a camouflaged uniform and a better looking gun.

Add in the fact that who do you back? The rebels of one nation wont have the leadership skills and the Army may just end up taking it into a declining dictatorship. In the case of 'here are some hostages (very delicate situation) and we have a HRT especially flown in for this' you take it though, whoever you are. One as they are trained to do it and two, sadly, it means that they can pass the buck when it all goes tits up and they have to deny it.

Either way I hope those hostage facts are untrue and that as many people are as safe and sound as they can make.

'FireKnife'

Archived