My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've lived in Plymouth.  Just don't pick local girls.  Students, fine.

But surely you never pick the locals girls. British girls in general have a fair share of ugly ones :P. Just some areas have more than others.

Note: he doesn't disagree with the "double team" portion of that sentence.

All got to try things at least once.....

'FireKnife'

Try ringing them !!!! Make sure you don't get the Wong number though ....

Well, actually thanks to the Chinese New Year, pretty much everything in China is not working this week. And only one of my four orders looks like it was sent out abroad before everything stopped. One's stuck in outgoing (!) customs inspection, one has been merely registered at the post office, and I didn't even get a tracking number for the last one.

Oh well, at least I don't have enough disposable income right now, so I'm not going to order two airsoft masks to turn them into something resembling Corvo's mask from Dishonored.

Ah casual racism, it just makes the world go round.

'FireKnife'

not sure if that's a snide dig or a jovial remark.

which kind of brings me onto my rant, people are far too easily offended. i was listening to the radio a while ago and they were talking about whether the slang for negro (not gonna type it for fear of modwrath in case there isn't a filter in place) should be acceptable dependent on skin colour, i.e. it's fine for black people to say it.

frankly i think this is ridiculous, skin colour shouldn't have anything to do with it whether a word is offensive should be entirely contextual. i find it odd how it's generally far more acceptable for a black person to say 'honky' or 'cracker', regardless of context. if i was black and someone said 'the N word' in a clearly non offensive context then i would have no reason to be offended, obviously if it's being used in a derogatory manner then that's different as it's clear that you're being looked down on because of skin colour. the same goes for any word, if someone called me a 'c u next tuesday' whether i'm offended would depend entirely on the context and how it was said. 

a similar situation would be people that say calling something 'gay' in a negative manner is being homophobic. it's not in the slightest. I'm all for same sex couples, what other people do with their personal lives is no concern of mine nor should it concern anyone else, however i will often say stuff along the lines of "aww, that's a bit gay". by saying this i am not saying "this situation reminds me of a homosexual male and as such i dislike it", much the same as if i called someone a *badgeress* i'm not saying "she reminds me of a female dog and female dogs are bad". 

Rant:- not being able to find the hack code/procedure for my blu-ray player, so that it can play, any region disc. I want the American version of The Shining on blu-ray. The rant is, a person has accused me of piracy. I tried to explain that it is only piracy if you don't pay for the disc. I will be paying for the disc ( hell, my Harry potter blu-rays are the American version complete with FBI warning!). But, it did make me think, am I doing something illegal.

I have, and do, use the term gay to describe an item or event. I use it in this sense "They are being over sensitive". Another example would be to use gay instead of fickle. I never use it to describe a persons sexuality, as I have friends who don't like to be called gay, just as they think the term straight, is also a derogatory term.

Using the word gay in a pejorative sense is totally retarded.

I don't care whether you don't use it to describe homosexuals.

It means homosexual now. Using it to mean rubbish whether you mean it to or not is derogatory to gay people.

It's lazy, the English language is beautifully diverse. There are a dozen other words you could use.

To prove it to yourself, try substituting a different derogatory term.

You wouldn't say "I've got double maths - that's totally jewish" or "Those trainers are utter kraut".

Retarded? No. Different view point, yes. The term gay was originally meant to mean happy, nothing to do with sexuality. If a person took offence to me using that term, in the manner explained, then I would apologise, to that person(s). Using the term "retard", is poor form. Why make a point, about something that offends you, by trying to offend? That doesn't make sense.

Also, the term retard, was originally used as a derogatory term for the mentally disabled. There is irony in here somewhere.

Edit:- using a persons race, hair colour, disability, country of origin, as a means to be derogatory, to them is totally unacceptable. If their are people that are offend by my explanation of using the term "gay", then I apologise. Having been called names and vilified for being from Liverpool, I know how hurtful it can be. Of course, I do not know, what it is like to be bullied for being homosexual, nor would I pretend to know.

Having seen homophobic behaviour first hand, I wouldn't want people to think that is my mind set. People can change their view (as in my view of the term "gay").

Gay is still listed in the dictionary as being happy . So some older people or educated people will still use that term in their written language . Also homosexual people still use the word gay as a term for themselves . As in the gay pride march ! Very similar double edged sword as nigger . You can't stop other people using a term or word if you want to adopt it as a term for yourselves . Have heard many black people call each other niggas but as soon as a different race uses the word it is racism !!

The pen pushers and politically correct people cause more racism and homophobia than they actually solve . Its not words that cause racism and homophobia its the context it is used in and the actions of the person using the words that define how it is meant .

Goverment policy causes the most racism in the uk by setting everyone off against each other be it , housing , immigration , jobs etc . Same as the racism laws which are set in favour of the minority groups . So it is virtually impossible for a white person to take a black , Indian , to court for being racist against them . But very easy the opposite way round . .

This causes racism and bad feeling amongst people itself. ..

The whole "gay means happy" defence of using the word is wheeled out constantly by people trying to back-pedal when I call them on it.  This happens all the time because I work with immature, poorly educated people.

Language evolves, sure - gay used to mean carefree and happy but guess what? Now it just doesn't.  Dictionaries are full of archaic definitions that are in there to help people to understand older works of literature.

For example, decimate is commonly used to mean "completely destroyed" but originally meant "to kill ten percent".

Incredible is commonly used to mean "very good" but should mean "so ridiculous it doesn't make sense".

Terrific is commonly used to mean "very good" but should mean very scary.

Another example is retarded - it is commonly used in a pejorative sense to describe people with disabilities.

However when used factually is simply means that a thing or person or opinion is behind where you would expect it to be - developmentally.

It can also mean "has been made slower" in the context to non-friction based vehicle braking devices.

I did not mean it in a pejorative sense but I did mean that your opinion is somewhere beneath that of an educated person.

The key here is in the use of words pejoratively or (more importantly) in the perception that a word has been used pejoratively.

When a person uses the word gay to imply that a thing displeases them or irritates them or inconveniences them then its use is pejorative.

If it is your opinion that is isn't then you are wrong, it is as simple as that.

The Equalities Act clearly states that the intent is irrelevant - if a person is offended then it is unacceptable.

Nobody has commented on my example where I substituted other derogatory words into places where the typical street chav would say gay.

Why is that?  is it because it neatly illustrates the fact that using gay in that sense is clearly wrong and negates all your arguments?

I think so.

Using gay to mean bad is wrong.  Worse though is defending that position.  As I mentioned before, this language we use is so rich that it takes almost wilful ignorance to continue doing so when there are better alternatives.

The most obvious is camp - camp does not imply homosexuality like gay does.  You can hold the opinion that being camp is bad because it does not discriminate.

Therefore when your friend buys new trainers you could call them camp - there is no issue there, why not substitute that word and appear more accepting and tolerant of other people?

The thing that annoys me is that not being a bigot is so easy - why does anyone still do it?

Your opinions are simply narrow minded ,patronising and wrong .

Firstly I am highly educated in English . Cambridge university . And a mixture of comprehensive and grammar school before that

As I said before the context of a words use determines its intent or meaning . And many words in the English language can used to be derogatory to a person or persons . With your views you would have to ban the use of them all which is totally ridiculous . Where would you stop .

It is narrow minded blinkered people with very one track views and limited knowledge of written or spoken English that think changing and banning use of words solves the problem at hand

Various councils and social services departments have employed policy's that remove these so called words from use , and to be honest it just gets to the point of insanity with some of these so called politically correct policy's . Explain to me how banning the use of the word blackboard and replacing it with chalkboard benefits anyone of reasonable intelligence ...

Its a board and its black coloured . That simple . Yet the politically narrowminded and so called do gooders have made an issue of the word black . Where there wasn't one in the first place ...

As I stated in my previous post . Answer me this question . If the word gay is so derogatory to homosexual people why have they adopted it to use themselves . As per my previous example . Gay pride ... Queer is another that gets used frequently in homosexual circles and advertising as are many others .

So in your blinkered world , are homosexual people the only persons allowed to use these words . And black people the only people allowed to use the word black / negro . In case someone gets offended .. ?

If you look back to 1969 with the gay liberation movement it was actually the homosexuals who decided to adopt this word to describe themselves . Before that gay meant happy or showy , the word gay is actually adapted from the French word gai ..which means happy , carefree and lighthearted .

So should we ban the French dictionary as well ??

Seriously buddy, did you read my post?

I am not saying people shouldn't use the word gay.

It has been - as you quite rightly say - embraced by the homosexual community to describe themselves.

Who wouldn't rather use a single syllable word than one with 5?

What my problem is with - and I'm sorry if you didn't get this - is the casual use of the word gay to mean "a bit rubbish".

You say "the context of a words use determines its intent or meaning" but that is an oversimplification.

There is a difference between inference and implication.

You might not see a problem with someone saying "You have a wii?  They're totally gay" and the individual saying it might not intend to insult a gay person.

However.

If a gay person is insulted by that then there is a problem.

How you speak and what you say allows people to make judgements about the person that you are - even more so in a community like ours that exists (and persists) in the written word.

If you belittle gay people then a lot of people are going to think you are a *Ubar*.

If you are Cambridge educated in English you must understand how easy it is to communicate without needlessly insulting large groups of people.

Exactly what is wrong with expecting that?

While I agree with you, would you care to elaborate?

I only buy used laptops and only Toughbooks or Thinkpads.

Toughbooks for the rugged qualities and Thinkpads for the excellent keyboards, durability and trackpoint.

My brother buys Apple products but I am not so keen on the closed source/single hardware/personality cult type of thing you get with them.

Personally I think are racism laws are a joke nowadays and long overdue a reveiw and rewrite . As a multicultural country laws should exist and be used when necessary to correct and if necessary punish. All groups of people . As they stand they only protect minority groups . . The problem being nowadays in some towns and city's the English person is now the minority !!

The most racist comment I have ever had the non pleasure of hearing was last year . At an Indian comedy night ! By an Indian woman .. It basically called all English white women sl.gs and whor.s

And this went on all evening with rants and insults aimed at white . Black , and Sikhs .

If the shoe was on the other foot a white person would have been arrested for racial abuse / hate

Time has come for a rethink of the laws and who and how they are used . A racist is a racist regardless of colour , creed or nationality . And should be dealt with in the same way by law .

Its these one sided laws and policy's that are actually starting the hate and racism in the first place . Same goes for housing , benefit , aid and healthcare laws .

This is half of the main cause of problems that exists in this country nowadays . The other half is education !! Or lack of it .!!

Maybe the goverment wants thick adults , because they are a lot easier to control than an educated person ..

Basically, I have a model affected by the faulty Nvidia GPU which has killed the logic board.  There was an extended warranty that extended the basic one year by an additional 3 years from date of purchase as the issue was so severe.  Of course mine dies a month after the warranty ends.  The reason it lasted so long was due to me having a PC I do my proper work on.  If I had hammered the GPU it would have happened earlier.  I speak to Apple hoping they can sort it for free as a gesture of goodwill but no.  Then after being lied to by Applecare and their instore 'genius', multiple wasted trips to the shop, phone calls e.t.c I make a complaint to the top, get contacted saying take it back to the shop again and they will sort it for free if it is indeed the GPU (which they have already confirmed in the shop once and ready to take my £390 for the repair).  They run the test again and now it's not the GPUs fault.  Nothing had changed since I was there last.

Now I'm planning to make a dispute with my credit card that the goods were not fit for sale as I don't think a laptop should require it's main component replaced after 5 years regardless if it's the faulty part or not.  I have seen 10 year+ Windows laptops running strong.  I'm pretty sure a laptop costing £1K+ should not require such an expensive replacement cost in 5 years. I think the 1979 sale of goods act will give me some weight behind my argument.

It's like buying a DB9, only driving it on Sundays then suddenly after a few years, oh, you need the engine replacing.  Yeah.  That's completely normal.

Hitman, I agree - you have been done over there.

At the very least you should get a refund of the money for the original repair if they have now changed their minds about what caused the problem.

Baz.

We can do nothing about laws and policies on the subject of racism or any subject for that matter save for exercising our right to vote and using that vote responsibly.

However, as far as racism goes we can do a lot ourselves.

By being inclusive of others and sensitive to what offends them we can set a good example.

By calling people on creeping bigotry we can make them realise the harm they are doing.

All of us have prejudice in our hearts, each of us has his own reasons for this.  A childhood memory, media portraying biased images, the bad example set by a parent or anything else.

It is up to us to realise that letting that prejudice out in public or allowing it to become discrimination (for they are not the same thing) is harmful to us all and to stop it from happening.

*puts feet up*

with all due respect gents i recommend you stop going for each others throats about the word gay and how it is used.

Ye' old english: Happy

New english: Sleeping with your own gender.

As for our racism laws........Not trying to sound racist but why should i respect the nationality and/or the religion of those who will not respect my religion/nationality (e.g Muslim Extremists). 

I could continue in my post which would be stupidly long but i have no intention of looking like a racist,bigot (which i assure you i am not).

Archived