My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

I was told quite recently by an apple shop area manager about apples policy's on repairs and life expectancy and was not very impressed at all . Inbuilt obsolescence / limited life expectancy etc and with phones it is normal for employees to be instructed to use water damage / moisture as a company opt out . For refusing unpaid repairs .

I personally had to wait 6 weeks to have my phone replaced as they had no in store appointments , they done the expected water damage line and I kicked off . After a call from my ex employee friend things totally changed . And I may as well of been the queen for the way I got treated afterwards .

I shall not be buying of them again , needless to say ...

Knowledge is power !! Or in this case insider knowledge ....

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*puts feet up*

with all due respect gents i recommend you stop going for each others throats about the word gay and how it is used.

Ye' old english: Happy

New english: Sleeping with your own gender.

As for our racism laws........Not trying to sound racist but why should i respect the nationality and/or the religion of those who will not respect my religion/nationality (e.g Muslim Extremists). 

Our laws do not require you to respect the Nationality or Religion of Muslim extremists.

They do not require that you respect anything or anyone other than the law itself.

In fact our laws specifically prohibit most of the behaviours you probably associate with Muslim extremists.

What they do require is that you do not insult or cause any disadvantage to a non-extremist Muslim for the sole reason that he or she is a Muslim.

Example:

You are free to hate a bloke if he is an *albatross*.  If he is a Muslim, so be it.

You can call him an *albatross* if you think he is one.

You are also allowed to hate a bloke for being a Muslim (that makes you an *albatross*, therefore it is OK for him to hate you back).

You cannot call him any racial slurs - that is illegal.

You cannot refuse to give him a job or let him rent your house or date your daughter for being a Muslim.

You can refuse the above things if he is an *albatross*.

Simple.

Lots of Muslim people are *albatrosses*.

Lots of people who are not Muslim are also *albatrosses*.

In fact, the colour of a person's skin has no effect on their chances of being an *albatross*.

A person's religion has no effect on their chances of being an *albatross*.

So why act like is has?

However - just for you since I have noticed that you intend to join the army I feel I should point you to the core values of the British Army.

For while British law does not require you to respect anyone the British Army's core values of:

Courage

Discipline

Respect for others

Integrity

Loyalty

and

Selfless commitment.

Do.

I just found out my sister and her friend were given 20 mins of verbal abuse from two low life, sub human, drunk *fruitcage*wits whilst on a packed commuter train from London yesterday.  A *fruitcage* packed train full of businessmen e.t.c. and not one *fruitcage* person did anything to stop these guys reducing a young woman to tears.  People *fruitcage* disgust me.

As I said the law in this country is a toothless tiger

. People won't get involved in things like this anymore for fear of being prosecuted themselves .. Even if the police could be bothered to arrest the perpetrators all they get is smacked wrist and sent on their way ..

I know if I witnessed something like that I would give them a piece of my mind then call the police and have BTP yank the *Ubarflock* off at the next station.  I've seen it done before.  They will be arrested for drunk and disorderly and most likely alcohol consumption on public transport.  Nothing on their record sure but it will *fruitcage* up their evening.

I'm going to try and see if theres any CCTV of it and investigate further.

Our laws do not require you to respect the Nationality or Religion of Muslim extremists.

They do not require that you respect anything or anyone other than the law itself.

In fact our laws specifically prohibit most of the behaviours you probably associate with Muslim extremists.

What they do require is that you do not insult or cause any disadvantage to a non-extremist Muslim for the sole reason that he or she is a Muslim.

Example:

You are free to hate a bloke if he is an *albatross*.  If he is a Muslim, so be it.

You can call him an *albatross* if you think he is one.

You are also allowed to hate a bloke for being a Muslim (that makes you an *albatross*, therefore it is OK for him to hate you back).

You cannot call him any racial slurs - that is illegal.

You cannot refuse to give him a job or let him rent your house or date your daughter for being a Muslim.

You can refuse the above things if he is an *albatross*.

Simple.

Lots of Muslim people are *albatrosses*.

Lots of people who are not Muslim are also *albatrosses*.

In fact, the colour of a person's skin has no effect on their chances of being an *albatross*.

A person's religion has no effect on their chances of being an *albatross*.

So why act like is has?

However - just for you since I have noticed that you intend to join the army I feel I should point you to the core values of the British Army.

For while British law does not require you to respect anyone the British Army's core values of:

Courage

Discipline

Respect for others

Integrity

Loyalty

and

Selfless commitment.

Do.

Fair point.

I was once stopped by a group of people and asked "why did you do that" ( shorthand version).

This was after I had stepped in and stopped a man from being kicked to death. I never found out if the man survived or if he had any life long disabilities. I do tend to jump in and not think of the consequences. It's survived me well, but has also made people think I am a bit up my own *albartroth*. When it comes to buying things, I can be very picky. In situations, I am very quick to decide.

Why bring this up? It relates to my post concerning how I have used the term "gay". I now use "kettle", to describe a situation or thing, that is over the top, or a bit fabulous.

Also, I am really enjoying Aliens Colonial Marines. I don't understand all the bad reviews, or the hatred towards it.

Edit:- I have seen first hand how cowardly, people can be, when faced with a fellow human being being in duress/trouble. My sister witnessed a young man being beaten up on the Kirkby train from Liverpool central. She was asked to be a witness and did so. The person who did the beating was sentenced. But what got on my nerves, was when certain "friends" of hers tried to say she was stupid for being a witness. The term "I'm alright Jack", springs to mind.

My own experience of violence on a train, was a train locking it doors at a station, while the police turned up. In this case, it was a girl hitting a man. She hit him because he allegedly had made a comment about her friend.

Gay is still listed in the dictionary as being happy . So some older people or educated people will still use that term in their written language . Also homosexual people still use the word gay as a term for themselves . As in the gay pride march ! Very similar double edged sword as nigger . You can't stop other people using a term or word if you want to adopt it as a term for yourselves . Have heard many black people call each other niggas but as soon as a different race uses the word it is racism !!

The pen pushers and politically correct people cause more racism and homophobia than they actually solve . Its not words that cause racism and homophobia its the context it is used in and the actions of the person using the words that define how it is meant .

Goverment policy causes the most racism in the uk by setting everyone off against each other be it , housing , immigration , jobs etc . Same as the racism laws which are set in favour of the minority groups . So it is virtually impossible for a white person to take a black , Indian , to court for being racist against them . But very easy the opposite way round . .

This causes racism and bad feeling amongst people itself. ..

this is more or less how i feel on the matter. it often feels like we're being forced to perceive a collection of letters and noises as being offensive whether there is actually any reason to be offended or not. like baz said, it's odd and wrong that skin colour or sexuality should automatically make whatever you say offensive. I'm friends with a couple of gay guys and they frequently use 'gay' or 'bent' as a negative term (i.e. "the gig got cancelled? aww, that's bent"), are they wrong to do so? I don't think so. using the word in this context gives it an entirely different meaning, same as *badgeress*, sick (meaning good), "as *insert adjective* as *fruitcage*" (which makes absolutely no sense taken literally) or a multitude of other words. using stunt's logic the RSPCA should be campaigning to stop people using the word '*badgeress*' as an insult as it gives a negative image of female dogs. 

frankly i think that if people aren't willing to look beyond a single definition of a word when it's CLEARLY not being used in a derogatory or offensive manner then that's not my problem.   

Your opinions are simply narrow minded ,patronising and wrong .

Firstly I am highly educated in English . Cambridge university . And a mixture of comprehensive and grammar school before that

As I said before the context of a words use determines its intent or meaning . And many words in the English language can used to be derogatory to a person or persons . With your views you would have to ban the use of them all which is totally ridiculous . Where would you stop .

It is narrow minded blinkered people with very one track views and limited knowledge of written or spoken English that think changing and banning use of words solves the problem at hand

Various councils and social services departments have employed policy's that remove these so called words from use , and to be honest it just gets to the point of insanity with some of these so called politically correct policy's . Explain to me how banning the use of the word blackboard and replacing it with chalkboard benefits anyone of reasonable intelligence ...

Its a board and its black coloured . That simple . Yet the politically narrowminded and so called do gooders have made an issue of the word black . Where there wasn't one in the first place ...

As I stated in my previous post . Answer me this question . If the word gay is so derogatory to homosexual people why have they adopted it to use themselves . As per my previous example . Gay pride ... Queer is another that gets used frequently in homosexual circles and advertising as are many others .

So in your blinkered world , are homosexual people the only persons allowed to use these words . And black people the only people allowed to use the word black / negro . In case someone gets offended .. ?

If you look back to 1969 with the gay liberation movement it was actually the homosexuals who decided to adopt this word to describe themselves . Before that gay meant happy or showy , the word gay is actually adapted from the French word gai ..which means happy , carefree and lighthearted .

So should we ban the French dictionary as well ??

also quite spot on. i'm not going to go on the typical PC rant, as to be honest i do agree with politcal correctness in the sense that you should be polite and considerate to others. What i don't agree with is needlessly labeling words as flat out offensive. i don't think there's any word in the english language that will always be genuinely offensive regardless of context, so why act as though they are? the message behind it is what is or isn't offensive, not the word.

OK but I am assuming (nothing else to go on here) that you are a white, young, heterosexual, male with either no religious affiliation or UK "normal" christian beliefs.

What word is offensive to you? Nothing, you are quite right.  I would be quite happy to let context be my guide in deciding whether to be offended by someone calling me a *Ubar*.

That's not what it is about, neither is knowing gay guys who use the term gay in a derogatory way.

The same way that black people using the n word does not make it OK to use it.

The point is that offends some people, offends them in a way that you (if my assumptions are correct) can not understand and will never understand until you find yourself in a situation where you are the hated outsider.

That might or might not happen to you when you get old, it depends on whether you get any support form your family.

It may never happen to you.

Be thankful of for that.

These outsiders, these minorities are not asking for much, they just want some respect.

All you have to do is use a more appropriate word.

If you think gay is appropriate to describe your train being late try something else.

Try lame or weak or *suitcase* or "a pain in the *albartroth*" or unprofessional.

If you think gay is appropriate to describe a pink shirt try something else.

Try effeminate or camp or feminine.

When not being offensive is so easy you must understand why people who are offended think it is deliberate?

Do what I do when the train is late, just stand there and wait.  Being able to stay silent instead of muttering something that may or may not utilized a word or term that is inconsiderate to others has a virtue of its own that seems by the day to be lost on humanity.

Boredom, classwork unappealing, and a possible $2000 of my own savings down the drain that I call my sister's upcoming wedding, depending on whether or not the family needs me to.

Eh, at least I get to turn her old room into the airsoft storage room.

I feel your pain buddy, I paid for a portion of my brother's PhD and I am just now paying for my sister's house move.

Odd really that when you consider that my their metrics for measuring success in life, they are "better" than me.

I only care if I am happy.  For the most part I am.

When the things in life that annoy you are trivial enough to be remedied by ranting about them on a forum then all is good, eh?

On my metrics for measuring life's qualities, I unfortunately place everyone above me.

I always offer to give what savings I have to my parents, specifically mother since she handles the finances.  My first two years of employment at the golf course I live by, every check went to her, somewhere between eight and ten thousand total.  I never expect to get a cent back, and I am miffed when she is reluctant to take any more, especially for important matters such as her leg surgery next week (blood clot/vein surgery).  I consider that matter more important than the wedding.

It is all rather frustrating considering I am always ranting with them about the futility of my time at university.  I would rather work at my waste of a job than throw thousands down the drain in the pursuit of absolutely nothing.  I am serious, my education course leads to no job market, no skills, no talent development, etc.  I keep insisting that i am not suited for much of anything, but the point will not be hammered home to them.  They assume I will discover something I want to do, that I will do something.  I will not.

They tell me I am brilliant, that I am smarter than my sister, but what good does that do when I lack a purpose, initiative or drive?  It seems that humanity assumes that there is some sort of aspect innate within each and every human to seek something in life, to do stuff, to seek a future.  I do not believe in this view.  I rather stay with my folks, be given the meager tasks set before me and get them done, and simply live, even though I consider myself not really "alive" in any sense.

Eh, enough of my incoherent ramblings, I should be off writing something for a class.

OK but I am assuming (nothing else to go on here) that you are a white, young, heterosexual, male with either no religious affiliation or UK "normal" christian beliefs.

What word is offensive to you? Nothing, you are quite right.  I would be quite happy to let context be my guide in deciding whether to be offended by someone calling me a *Ubar*.

That's not what it is about, neither is knowing gay guys who use the term gay in a derogatory way.

The same way that black people using the n word does not make it OK to use it.

The point is that offends some people, offends them in a way that you (if my assumptions are correct) can not understand and will never understand until you find yourself in a situation where you are the hated outsider.

That might or might not happen to you when you get old, it depends on whether you get any support form your family.

It may never happen to you.

Be thankful of for that.

These outsiders, these minorities are not asking for much, they just want some respect.

All you have to do is use a more appropriate word.

If you think gay is appropriate to describe your train being late try something else.

Try lame or weak or *suitcase* or "a pain in the *albartroth*" or unprofessional.

If you think gay is appropriate to describe a pink shirt try something else.

Try effeminate or camp or feminine.

When not being offensive is so easy you must understand why people who are offended think it is deliberate?

i totally understand what you're saying and i'm all for being kind and considerate, hell i'm often told that i'm too nice or considerate (to the point where i end up with people walking over me). but my point is simply that i think some people are far too easily offended. if someone jovially referred to me as 'honky' or 'cracker' i wouldn't be offended, change the tone to an aggressive or insulting tone then that changes, it would make me think "*suitcase*, this guy is making a point of the fact i'm white and doesn't sound too happy about it." i guess the (rather jumbled) point i'm trying to make is that the word itself isn't offensive, it's the message that's delivered with it.

As I stated before the word gay does not have a fixed definition to its meaning , it is a multi use word . Someone who is a happy free spirited person may find it offensive that the homosexual collective had decided to hijack a harmless word to use to describe themselves but being part of a majority has no voice to complain .

Same with the word nigger . It was used as a replacement word because would you believe years ago the word black was offensive , now it has turned full circle and the word niga or nigger is deemed to be offensive .

The only true offensive words are the ones that have no secondary or viable use . Ie coon , paki, kaffa etc . These words are all derogatory and serve no other purpose but to hurt and offend people .

As for the word gay , the youth of today have hijacked its use exactly the same way as the homosexual community did back in 1969 . ..

I believe there is a critical difference

Gay and nigger were both defiantly adopted by communities that were already being called those things.

They wanted to "take back" those words in a similar vein to the way Eve Ensler was trying to "take back" *Ubar* in the vagina monologues.

In all cases with limited success.

The use of gay by today's youth is different.

What they are saying is this:

PS3 is gay, being gay is bad, therefore PS3 is bad.

That usage only works if you assume that being gay is bad.

Being gay is not bad or wrong. That is what I find offensive about that particular usage.

It is also an assesrtation that is indefensible by a rational thinker.

Up until now I had never though about that.

Basically I see that as another weak justification to continue putting homosexuals down.

"Lulz" is not a real word, it is used in place of "laughs" or "LOLs" (itself not a real word) by people who wish to identify with a particular group.

"Ghey" is the same, it is not a real word.  Even is if was a real word that had a different meaning - it is a homophone of gay and open to misinterpretation.

With the word gay it still has its true definition listed in dictionary's .the use of it by today's youth is in a slang , street talk form . How you wish to define its use or meaning is an individuals choice ..

As with the word nigger , negro etc it is in its original form an ancient form of the word black , which in its true form is not derogatory .

Same with the word queer . Which means not of the normal .

All words adopted for use by different community's ,

They actually refused to remove the word nigga in America as they found it would be offensive to the black community because a lot of black people still wanted and still do associate themselves with that word ..

Failing Education in English is the issue here , not the actual words in use .,

Most kids today use a very limited vocabulary with very little understanding of the words they are actually using . Misspelling or misuse is very common .

Text speak is becoming more common , as is the use of slang variants of words . Also picking up foreign slang and integrating into conversations and writing is highly prevalent in today's youth .

As for the slang use of the word gay take for example ; that shirt is gay ; it would mean that Shirt is too showy or loud ; if interpreted properly by the person who received the comment , but due to a lack of understanding of written , verbal english or ignorance, it is interpreted differently .

The main problem in the uk is the homophobic actions of the newer immigrants who also happen to be minority's . So with all the so called oppressed groups in the same protected zone of the law no action can be taken to prosecute them . That is why the laws of this land need to be updated .

Going to York for a few days and my Mac10 hasn't arrived yet. I'll have to wait till Friday, to get my grubby mitts on it.

Gutted.

Also, is it worth putting a complaint in about the admissions depart of a children's hospital, when they have been found out, to have lied? Or should I just let it go and stop being so sensitive? What I'm trying to say is, is it worth it or will it cause more harm than good?

Baz, it doesn't matter what the dictionary definition of a word is.

It doesn't matter whether the person who used the word meant offense.

If someone is offended then the word is offensive.  Simple.

Sure, some people are over sensitive but I don't think it is being over sensitive to ask someone not to put down an entire community of people.

At an old job of mine I was not allowed to be called Ginge.

Ginge is my name.

It has been my name for 20 years.

I was not allowed to be called Ginge because a lady who worked there had asked her colleagues not to call her that.

Is she wrong? Not at all, she found it offensive.

That statement sums up everything that is wrong with this country and society nowadays .

Word offends me ban it !

Sugar makes you fat ! Ban it

A cross offends me ! Ban it ( as on heathrow case )

Banning things does nothing but cause resentment as we nearly learned with the vcra laws ,.

Banning things does not solve anything it just changes statistics and makes over zealous people feel important in their lives .

My best mate who's family I grew up with had a head on clash with this pc rubbish at his children's school . He has mixed race children and the school started a policy of not allowing black people to be called black even when by heritage and parents they obviously where . Instead they started using the word brown person .

My best mate who happens to be a high ranking social worker , st Lucian descended black man . Went down to the school to complain and correct the issue to be confronted by the white English headmistress who had instated this policy . 15 black family's removed their children from this school until the policy's had been removed .

The funniest thing to come out of this was the fact that the headmistress was white , with a white partner and white children . So had absolutly no idea of the offence caused to the parents of the black and mixed race children ..same with the school board and directors , all Middle Aged white people .

Sure, that's mental.

But nobdy is saying we should ban the word gay.

Just like nobody is saying we should ban the word Ginge.

That lady was offended by it - to be polite her colleagues stopped calling her that.

In case of misunderstanding people didn't call me that in case it offended her.

Just like my close friends not blabbing on about their kids when my wife and I are around to avoid upsettng us.

Problems arise when people get all tangled up in the law, not understanding it and do stupid things.

Regardless of all that, the thing we have been talking about neatly side-steps that issue by representing deliberate (or ignorant) marginalising of a group of people.

That crucifix example you gave is pretty daft unless it represents a broad policy not to allow any religious iconography in a certain workplace.

By that I mean that to ban a crucifix is wrong but to ban all religious symbols including crosses, burqas, yamakas and turbans is fine by me.

The reason being that it is not discriminatory to any religious group, it is a blanket ban.

In that particular case the uniform regulations of her employer banned it, she signed a contract stating that she would comply with those regulations and when she refused to remove it she wasn't disciplined for wearing a crucifix she was disciplined for breaking the terms of her employment.

As I recall it was thrown out of court.

Also (and please don't take this the wrong way) but out of interest, in what capacity did you study English at Cambridge?

There seems to be a few consistent errors in your posts, specifically regarding punctuation and pluralisiation.

Archived