My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Don't know why everyone complains about tax.

You earn money, you pay tax, you get police, NHS, roads, schools, civil rights, the armed forces and all sorts of other stuff.

If you don't like it, move.

I complain about them *fruitcage* up my tax payments and then wanting me to pay it back. They could easily have spent all of 5 seconds (depending on their systems look up speed of course) to check to see if I was on the right tax band. I was and they changed it rather than saying that I was in fact, on the right band.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idea that me and my dad were kicking around, abolish road tax for vehicles and scrap council tax components for road maintenance, lower/force the cost of public transport down. Increase fuel duty by 5-10p - invest the money in further improving/maintaining transport infrastructure.

Would be great, if you lived and worked in the middle of a city. But for those that choose to live in the *albartroth* end of nowhere or even small towns this would not work as busses and trains wouldn't bother building and setting up there knowing the limited return they would get, blocking off these areas and leaving them to turn into places like Fraserburgh :P

'FireKnife'

But doesn't everyone get the moat around their helicopter pad cleaned once a year, free of charge?  That's a huge perk, surely... :fez:

If you are this person: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_cameron

Then yes, or this person: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebekah_Brooks

In which case one of your lackies to do it while you languish in prison, knowing that you can get paid out of it when the scandal dies down :P

'FireKnife'

Idea that me and my dad were kicking around, abolish road tax for vehicles and scrap council tax components for road maintenance, lower/force the cost of public transport down. Increase fuel duty by 5-10p - invest the money in further improving/maintaining transport infrastructure.

Well, over here we do have a road tax, and local taxes that also go to road maintenance, and monstrous fuel duty, and stupidly expensive public transport, and roads that have more holes in them than a wheel of *fruitcage* ementaler cheese.

Also, the public transport company in my city is run by incompetent *fruitcage*wits in cahoots with the City Hall, so nobody is actually willing to do ANYTHING about it. Also, the second subway line construction has been delayed again, for another year.

Well, over here we do have a road tax, and local taxes that also go to road maintenance, and monstrous fuel duty, and stupidly expensive public transport, and roads that have more holes in them than a wheel of *fruitcage* ementaler cheese.

Also, the public transport company in my city is run by incompetent *fruitcage*wits in cahoots with the City Hall, so nobody is actually willing to do ANYTHING about it. Also, the second subway line construction has been delayed again, for another year.

Wait I though you lived in Poland, not Aberdeen?

Though we don't have a subway, would dread to think what is under this city :P.

Also why you no let me make airsoft site council? Why? You get costs for hiring the building and some insurance company gets money and no-one gets hurt as we play it safe? Bunch of idiots. With a load (and I mean about 25% of the citys old factories and public buildings, including a whole paper mill and another transport warehouse) of places available that they don't have the cash to knock down why not?

'FireKnife'

The goverment is throwing millions at hs2 rail link when better things could be done with that money . The planning is as corrupt as it gets . Backhanders everywhere . Of our money !

Who will it benefit . Businessmen who want to get to london 15 minutes earlier . Boris is sinking more into cycle lanes . When the roads are crumbling . Millions being paid to architects and planners to build an airport in london . Even though we keep getting told it is the most polluted city in. Europe . The list of squandering / throwing away money gets bigger and bigger ,

Be glad you live in London.

You might think it is bad but come live up here for 6 months and you will want to move back. The council up here are morons and the services offered, along with the few places to go are few and far between.

Plus you actually get choice of where to do your hobby, as in more than one place and said place isn't a paintball site where they try to run paintball and airsoft at the same time.

'FireKnife'

If you can find any spare money to spend after the parking tickets , clamps , residents parking fees , exaggerated rents and rates .

.......then you are still in Aberdeen. Seriously I am paying about on average 20-25% more for a place and rent than I am anywhere else. Tax is about the same as most other places and that is it, the lack of parking and other fees mean that after places like London and Edinburgh this city is very expensive. However unlike London and Edinburgh there is *fruitcage* all to do around here :P.

'FireKnife'

Well that kicked up a hornet's nest.

With the exception of when your tax gets *fruitcage*ed up through no fault of your own nobody else has a legitimate gripe here.

The cost of cleaning a moat is insignificant comapred to the tax income Britain generates.

All that is is the papers making a big fuss about it for ratings.

I couldn't give a monkeys.

If you don't like a politician, don't vote for him.  The problem you have there is that they are all just as bad.

FK, you do pay tax for civil rights.  You live in Britain, you have them here and as a citizen you are expected to pay tax.

If you don't want to pay tax, move to the Congo, see how the roads are there - *suitcase* is how.

Plus in the Congo some guy can come into your house, rape all your family and hack you to bits with a machete.

Nobody will stop him.

It boils down to this.

Most people who compalin about taxes and such have never seen the other side of the coin.

I've travelled a lot and I've seen the way people live in some of the other countries in the world.

Britain is great, UK taxes are worth it.

Almost nobody who is below the poverty line is there without some kind of contribution to their predicament.

Only kids really and you can't blame the government for irresponsible parenting.

Like I said, if you don't like it, move.

FK, you do pay tax for civil rights.  You live in Britain, you have them here and as a citizen you are expected to pay tax.

If you don't want to pay tax, move to the Congo, see how the roads are there - *suitcase* is how.

Plus in the Congo some guy can come into your house, rape all your family and hack you to bits with a machete.

Nobody will stop him.

How so. Even in a country like this where you have taxes someone could do the same, he just has to find a way to curcumvent the frankly pathetic police service we have in areas (often due to cuts, which I thought the increase in tax would cover). Being a citizen and then being expected to pay tax isn't the same as a civil right. And what of those that don't pay tax, the small 10% that scrounge the benfits system, pay no tax and then have more of a right than me to apply for a form of benefits service when I am genuinely unemployed and looking for work.

While I see how a country that calls for its citizens to pay into a system to secure facilities to secure their rights makes sense you will still have those that don't pay said taxes and corrupt the system, meaning you are not really paying to secure your civil rights as you are still unprotected by the failing police service and said scrounger could then rob you, but if you attack them they are the ones that can have legal precedent to sue?

While I see your point in a perfect world we live in a very, very imperfect world and as such it isn't as valid due to the small minorities of scroungers and *rickrolls* that destroy that opportunity for everyone else.

Almost nobody who is below the poverty line is there without some kind of contribution to their predicament.

I think I have one or two people that might want to correct you on that. One of which is my GFs uncle. A man that has a decent level of education (college level) and had served in a working enviroment for around 30-35 years of his life. He is made redundant through no fault of his own. Now he has spent the last 3 years looking for a job, his lack of income and limited benefits support put him in the poverty grouping and just due to his age he has no chance of getting a job. Is he the 'someone' in that 'almost nobody'? Many more people are sadly in the same system, which annoys the GFs father, his brother, as his job is a Benefits Claims Investigator and he has to go and find the people that falsely make claims and end up living a better life than his brother due to the failing of the system. As for them being prosecuted in the time it takes to file a case the ones in the wrong have changed there benefits and are finding a way to still make as much, using loopholes and what have you.

This, sadly, is a very common case with the system we have, a system that is paid for by tax and yet doesn't receive enough funding a year even after tax hikes? It does worry me how corrupt a system we have and while it is better than other countries why are we striving for that? Shouldn't we be better for the sake of each individual in this country to have an equal right to the right they deserve and way they deserve to be treated?

'FireKnife'

Well that kicked up a hornet's nest.

With the exception of when your tax gets *fruitcage*ed up through no fault of your own nobody else has a legitimate gripe here.

The cost of cleaning a moat is insignificant comapred to the tax income Britain generates.

All that is is the papers making a big fuss about it for ratings.

I couldn't give a monkeys.

If you don't like a politician, don't vote for him. The problem you have there is that they are all just as bad.

Like I said, if you don't like it, move.

And come back as an immigrant ! That way you can access free housing , benefits and use the vulnerable person loop holes that give them better services / housing , benefits , legal aid than a citizen that has worked and paid in all their life gets access to . Makes me sick !!!!

The whole "gay means happy" defence of using the word is wheeled out constantly by people trying to back-pedal when I call them on it.  This happens all the time because I work with immature, poorly educated people.

Language evolves, sure - gay used to mean carefree and happy but guess what? Now it just doesn't.  Dictionaries are full of archaic definitions that are in there to help people to understand older works of literature.

For example, decimate is commonly used to mean "completely destroyed" but originally meant "to kill ten percent".

Incredible is commonly used to mean "very good" but should mean "so ridiculous it doesn't make sense".

Terrific is commonly used to mean "very good" but should mean very scary.

Another example is retarded - it is commonly used in a pejorative sense to describe people with disabilities.

However when used factually is simply means that a thing or person or opinion is behind where you would expect it to be - developmentally.

It can also mean "has been made slower" in the context to non-friction based vehicle braking devices.

I did not mean it in a pejorative sense but I did mean that your opinion is somewhere beneath that of an educated person.

The key here is in the use of words pejoratively or (more importantly) in the perception that a word has been used pejoratively.

When a person uses the word gay to imply that a thing displeases them or irritates them or inconveniences them then its use is pejorative.

If it is your opinion that is isn't then you are wrong, it is as simple as that.

The Equalities Act clearly states that the intent is irrelevant - if a person is offended then it is unacceptable.

Nobody has commented on my example where I substituted other derogatory words into places where the typical street chav would say gay.

Why is that?  is it because it neatly illustrates the fact that using gay in that sense is clearly wrong and negates all your arguments?

I think so.

Using gay to mean bad is wrong.  Worse though is defending that position.  As I mentioned before, this language we use is so rich that it takes almost wilful ignorance to continue doing so when there are better alternatives.

The most obvious is camp - camp does not imply homosexuality like gay does.  You can hold the opinion that being camp is bad because it does not discriminate.

Therefore when your friend buys new trainers you could call them camp - there is no issue there, why not substitute that word and appear more accepting and tolerant of other people?

The thing that annoys me is that not being a bigot is so easy - why does anyone still do it?

I like you stunt (not in a gay way!) but you shouldn't write a fairly long, earnest point and then refer to "typical chavs", which is a pejorative term for those from the lower class.

edit: "if you don't like it, move" is a ridiculous attitude - we have a democratic system where citizens are able to affect change. Its why when we had slavery, a law was passed against it. People that didn't like slavery didn't just move. When the VCRA was going through committee did your write to your MP or did you start packing? I could go on and on.

"Almost nobody who is below the poverty line is there without some kind of contribution to their predicament." - not quite accurate

How so. Even in a country like this where you have taxes someone could do the same

While I see your point in a perfect world we live in a very, very imperfect world and as such it isn't as valid due to the small minorities of scroungers and *rickrolls* that destroy that opportunity for everyone else.

...My GFs uncle. A man that has a decent level of education (college level) and had served in a working enviroment for around 30-35 years of his life. He is made redundant through no fault of his own. Now he has spent the last 3 years looking for a job.

Yes but in the Congo (for example) it is much more likely to happen.

Violent crime rates in the UK are low enough to make me feel safe.  Good enough.

the UK isn't perfect, no way, but it is one of the best places in the world to live, there is a price for that.

I would suggest that your GF's uncle has spent 3 years looking in a restricted geographical area looking for a "good" job he thinks he is worthy of.

Obviously I don't know the guy but that is pretty common.  Loads of people are unemployed because they won't work in McDonald's or get a cleaning job or work in a shop.

If you become unemployed sometimes you have to make big changes.

Sell your house, move into a smaller place - perhaps in a totally different town, do a demeaning low wage job.

The reason I have never claimed benefits is that despite my university education I have never thought that a terrible job was beneath me and I had no qualms about moving 400 miles for the promise of a job.

And come back as an immigrant ! That way you can access free housing , benefits and use the vulnerable person loop holes that give them better services / housing , benefits , legal aid than a citizen that has worked and paid in all their life gets access to . Makes me sick !!!!

Not sure about that.  A lot of anger is levelled at immigrants but they represent a very small percentage of UK residents and if you took benefit claimants as a whole you'd find that British born scrounging scumbags are much more common than immigrant ones.

I like you stunt (not in a gay way!) but you shouldn't write a fairly long, earnest point and then refer to "typical chavs", which is a pejorative term for those from the lower class.

edit: "if you don't like it, move" is a ridiculous attitude - we have a democratic system where citizens are able to affect change. Its why when we had slavery, a law was passed against it. People that didn't like slavery didn't just move. When the VCRA was going through committee did your write to your MP or did you start packing? I could go on and on.

"Almost nobody who is below the poverty line is there without some kind of contribution to their predicament." - not quite accurate

OK, good points.  I will clarify.

By Chav I do not mean "lower classes" I do however mean it pejoratively.

You can't mock a gay person for being gay, it is not a choice any more than skin colour is.

You can mock a chav for being a chav because it is a choice (the way I see it).  You can have a low income and a poor education and still be a nice person.

Being a horrible scumbag is also not restricted to low intelligence and income.

For example, Katie Price is a formidable business woman and fabulously wealthy, she is also a chav.

I will re-state.  If you don't like it and you have tried the democratic process and found that you are in the minority then move somewhere the majority share your views.  You will be happier there.

Bermuda, Barbados and a lot of the middle-eastern arab states have no income tax.  You could go there.

I know a lot of people would disagree with my poverty line statement but in reality hard work and grim determination can get you a long way.

The biggest factor in pushing people below the poverty line is children.

The poverty line calculator says that I need to bring in £226 a week to be above it. 

If I had 3 young children I would need £362.

If I had 3 older kids it would be £512

That is poverty line, to be comfortable you'd need £850, a week.  I'm well paid and don't make anything like that.

However, if I only had one kid it's back to £322 poverty and £536 comfort, I make that.

Irresponsibly out kids when you can't afford them is responsible for a lot of it.

Wasting loads of your income on cable TV, mobile phones and other trinkets when you should be buying food or educating yourself for some.

Refusing to accept that you will have to move house and take a crappy job for some.

Sure, there are a lot of hard luck stories out there but many people are to one degree or another responsible for their own predicaments.

Refusing to accept responsibility for their actions and expecting hand outs will result in their never working their way out of it.

I know I would be doing a lot better for myself if I had been more diligent when I was at university but I wasn't, that makes it my fault.

I would suggest that your GF's uncle has spent 3 years looking in a restricted geographical area looking for a "good" job he thinks he is worthy of.

Obviously I don't know the guy but that is pretty common.  Loads of people are unemployed because they won't work in McDonald's or get a cleaning job or work in a shop.

If you become unemployed sometimes you have to make big changes.

Sell your house, move into a smaller place - perhaps in a totally different town, do a demeaning low wage job.

The reason I have never claimed benefits is that despite my university education I have never thought that a terrible job was beneath me and I had no qualms about moving 400 miles for the promise of a job.

While normally this is often the case he now has to live with his parents who are 90, has little money to his name and has applied to every job under the sun from cleaner to food delivery person (or whatever they call McDs staff now) and yet is always refused. As for moving that is impossible as he can't find any work to give him enough to find his own place and nowhere will hire him.

Due to the attitude of the system he is lucky enough just to get his Job Seekers if that, considering the guy actively looks for work and sends in about 5-10 applications a week minimum it is not always by their own graces that people are in such a low point in life.

I myself have been there, doing winter part time jobs and surviving off what I could then I get a stroke of luck and wind up in a job paying what most Uni graduates doing serious courses get for a first salary and I am good at it. But I know I got lucky there and make the most of what I have, some just don't get a break and keep going through terrible job after job trying to get something better.

While a small percentage are there by their own graces, it is actually only as little as10-20% that are, the rest are let down by the system that is paying for the 10-20% to be lazy and arrogant then let them get away with attacking people and stealing property (don't say it doesn't happen, try some of the areas up here where people don't go outside at night for fear of the 10-20% finishing them off).

'FireKnife'

'FireKnife'

OK, good points.  I will clarify.

By Chav I do not mean "lower classes" I do however mean it pejoratively.

You can't mock a gay person for being gay, it is not a choice any more than skin colour is.

You can mock a chav for being a chav because it is a choice (the way I see it).  You can have a low income and a poor education and still be a nice person.

by using the word gay as a general negative term i do not mean "in the manner of a homosexual"

by using the word in this way, no one is being mocked.

sorry to drag this up again, just thought that was rather hypocritical considering that you spent several posts telling me that derogatory terms are always offensive regardless of context 

ah the joys of living in the Midlands, all we have to deal with is fricken floods.....

Better than up here, with the list that I could put but it would hurt my brain knowing I have to put up with it.

If it gets any more water up there . Kevin Costner will be filming waterworld 2 up there

Wait Kevin Costner is still alive? I thought he had died / vanished / gone to live somewhere else. :P

'FireKnife'

While normally this is often the case he now has to live with his parents who are 90, has little money to his name and has applied to every job under the sun from cleaner to food delivery person (or whatever they call McDs staff now) and yet is always refused. As for moving that is impossible as he can't find any work to give him enough to find his own place and nowhere will hire him.

Well in that case I feel bad for him but there are certain employers who actively seek to hire older people to present an image of authority and wisdom.   B&Q is a good example.

I wish him the best of luck.

While a small percentage are there by their own graces, it is actually only as little as10-20% that are, the rest are let down by the system that is paying for the 10-20% to be lazy and arrogant then let them get away with attacking people and stealing property (don't say it doesn't happen, try some of the areas up here where people don't go outside at night for fear of the 10-20% finishing them off).

'FireKnife'

I agree I just believe the percentages are very different.

by using the word gay as a general negative term i do not mean "in the manner of a homosexual"

by using the word in this way, no one is being mocked.

sorry to drag this up again, just thought that was rather hypocritical considering that you spent several posts telling me that derogatory terms are always offensive regardless of context 

OK, No problem bringing that up again - we are off topic after all.

I believe there is a difference.

The Equality Act 2010 names 9 protected characteristics, specifically:

Disability

Gender reassignment

Marriage/Civil partnership

Maternity/pregnancy (personally I disagree with this one).

Race

Religion/belief (I have mixed feeling about this one)

Sex

Sexual orientation

Only one (arguably two) of those are choices, it's no coincidence that they are the ones I have an issue with.

Now, in my black and white world we have established that using the word gay in the way we described i.e. homework is gay = homework is bad = gay is bad is wrong.

The reason it is wrong is because being gay comes under one of the protected characterisitics (sexual orientation) and using the word gay to mean bad is demeaning and is therefore Harassment, one of the 7 types of discrimination described by the Equalities act.

Not just bad, illegal.

Calling someone a chav is offensive, I meant it to be offensive.

It's not (in my opinion) wrong though because by action or omission of action a person chooses to become a chav.

Being a disgusting scumbag is not one of the protected characteristics so it's not illegal to call someone a chav either.

That's how I got to where I am.

Its the system not the people that causes the problems in the uk . And now the goverment use the media to attack people and portray false opinions to sway the vote and public opinions on everyone . The biggest increase in benefits claimants has actually been working people . Not the so called scroungers . . Wages have decreased in relation to the cost of living . Due to the goverments continued striving to let employers pay low wages and let employers exploit people . . Hence the massive allowed influx of immigrants to drive wages down and new laws to help employers do it .

I noticed ginger people are not covered in that list ? Maybe they have a choice .. Hair dye ..

Archived