My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

People bitching about the weather. If you're cold either turn the heating up or put on an extra jumper. IMO there is no such thing as bad weather in the UK, just inappropriate clothing

The use of the phrase "in real war" in airsoft discussions really annoys me, usually because the person posting it is 14 and thinks that playing CoD has made them an expert

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm the only person who likes the cold, and I like it when it rains too. I always find it easier to wrap up warm (in British weather), then to dress for warm weather. Must be because am as hairy, as an ape and get hot far too easily.

Oh, I like wind too.

Edit:- also, can we use something else, instead of the word retard? Idiot is fine and is far less offence. After someone pointing out, how they where called "retard" in school, and that my use of it brought up bad memories. I was called an idiot in school, due to my bad spelling/grammar. Later found out I was/I am dyslexic. But idiot doesn't bother me, where as retard does bother a lot of people with special needs.

People bitching about the weather. If you're cold either turn the heating up or put on an extra jumper. IMO there is no such thing as bad weather in the UK, just inappropriate clothing

The use of the phrase "in real war" in airsoft discussions really annoys me, usually because the person posting it is 14 and thinks that playing CoD has made them an expert

Clearly you haven't lived up here. It is not so much the weather more the attitude it brings around here. People driving like morons, the fact that the weather adversly affects the building you are living in due to it being old and the only choice. I am glad that the weather is going to get better soon and I do my best to turn up the heating and wear more clothes but still you have other issues, like the fact that the shower has to be turned up to full power and left running just to get a decent 10mins (I asked about replacing it at my flat, answer is no). Add in other people moaning about it still snowing up here in March when they have lived here all their life it gets annoying. While in England it is fair enough, up here in the city in the back end of nowhere it is different, so glad I can move soon. :P

If you go by when daffodils come out then yeah.

However, Spring officially starts on the 21st of March no matter what the retards on the weather say.

That is the way I look at it, as due to the way the Earth rotates too and the distance from the Equator it would naturally take longer for the norther parts of the UK to get the best of spring and summer, to say that Spring occurs exactly for the whole of the UK on one single day seems a bit far fetched. To say that it occurs lets say between the 17th and the 25th putting the 21st smack bang in the middle I can understand though.

I think I'm the only person who likes the cold, and I like it when it rains too. I always find it easier to wrap up warm (in British weather), then to dress for warm weather. Must be because am as hairy, as an ape and get hot far too easily.

Oh, I like wind too.

Edit:- also, can we use something else, instead of the word retard? Idiot is fine and is far less offence. After someone pointing out, how they where called "retard" in school, and that my use of it brought up bad memories. I was called an idiot in school, due to my bad spelling/grammar. Later found out I was/I am dyslexic. But idiot doesn't bother me, where as retard does bother a lot of people with special needs.

I don't mind the cold myself, it is more the fact of how people act as mentioned above. Plus I have at least one mild heat stroke a year, usually around the first day that peaks over 18-20 degrees as I am not that used to heat but fine in the winter. The only issue for me is no-one else I know is like this and when the first leaf falls from the first tree they turn their houses into a furnace. :D

'FireKnife'

I think the dislike of people bitching about the weather is because as a kid I was taken on a lot of camping holidays and it was instilled in me that when you're in a tent in the middle of nowhere you're the only one who is responsible for how you feel temperature wise

... also, can we use something else, instead of the word retard? Idiot is fine and is far less offence. After someone pointing out, how they where called "retard" in school, and that my use of it brought up bad memories. I was called an idiot in school, due to my bad spelling/grammar. Later found out I was/I am dyslexic. But idiot doesn't bother me, where as retard does bother a lot of people with special needs.

Agreed, personally I don't find it offensive but I know several people who do for various reasons. To me it just makes the person using it look childish and stupid

Roj.

However, in this case it applies.  An 8 year old knows when Spring starts (officially) so a trained meteorologist not knowing is the very definition of retarded (slower or behind where they should be).

Kids throwing it around as an insult is wrong.

I'll use moron from now.

That is the way I look at it, as due to the way the Earth rotates too and the distance from the Equator it would naturally take longer for the norther parts of the UK to get the best of spring and summer, to say that Spring occurs exactly for the whole of the UK on one single day seems a bit far fetched. To say that it occurs lets say between the 17th and the 25th putting the 21st smack bang in the middle I can understand though.

'FireKnife'

That's great but for standardisation purposes there needs to be a set day.

My problem is with people who should know better claiming that that set day is the 1st of March when it is clearly the 21st.

Morons.

I think the dislike of people bitching about the weather is because as a kid I was taken on a lot of camping holidays and it was instilled in me that when you're in a tent in the middle of nowhere you're the only one who is responsible for how you feel temperature wise

Agreed, personally I don't find it offensive but I know several people who do for various reasons. To me it just makes the person using it look childish and stupid

That makes sense to me, I am not too fussed, but really it is more to do with the issues of being up here for me, knowing that soon I can move but wishing that day would come quicker. As for say people that live in cities in the South complaining is a bit silly, for once you have to put up with snow in March, for once, up here we still get the odd day in April. I think some people in the South don't get how good they have it, I should know, I lived in the South West for most of my life.

That's great but for standardisation purposes there needs to be a set day.

My problem is with people who should know better claiming that that set day is the 1st of March when it is clearly the 21st.

Morons.

True, but to say 'this is the exact day that spring arrives on the whole of a country that is 750m top to bottom' does seem a bit far fetched but makes for a good anchoring point.

As for what I was taught at school it was that it goes like this:

Winter: Dec-Feb

Spring: Mar-May

Summer: Jun-Aug

Autumn: Sep-Nov

And that each month start heralded the new season.

But then I was also taught that I before E except after C is 100% correct even though about 500 words in the ODE contradict that so yeah.

Oh and as for using the word 'retard' that was kind of drummed out of me after working for 3 months as a volunteer with people with mental disabilities. Though due to the lack of intelligence around here and the complete alienation from the outside world I have noticed that many people just say F***, S*** and C*** as they are too stupid to think of a better word. Now that is annoying.

'FireKnife'

That makes sense to me, I am not too fussed, but really it is more to do with the issues of being up here for me, knowing that soon I can move but wishing that day would come quicker. As for say people that live in cities in the South complaining is a bit silly, for once you have to put up with snow in March, for once, up here we still get the odd day in April. I think some people in the South don't get how good they have it, I should know, I lived in the South West for most of my life.

True, but to say 'this is the exact day that spring arrives on the whole of a country that is 750m top to bottom' does seem a bit far fetched but makes for a good anchoring point.

As for what I was taught at school it was that it goes like this:

Winter: Dec-Feb

Spring: Mar-May

Summer: Jun-Aug

Autumn: Sep-Nov

'FireKnife'

The thing is by trying to make things easier for their students the teachers there have *fruitcage*ed the whole thing up.

There is a reason for the seasons being defined as they are and it is not daffodils out = spring.

Spring begins on the Vernal Equinox

Summer begins on the Summer Solstice

Autumn begins on the Autumnal Equinox

Winter begins on the Winter Equinox

Those are dates set by the rotation of our planet around the sun and are not in any way (other than the coincidental) relates to the arbitrary calendar systems we fit over the top.

In the UK calendar (this year) those dates are:

March 20th (I was wrong)

June 21st

September 22nd

December 21st

That meant that the morons who teach it as being the first of the month are out by 3 weeks every time.

That is 3 weeks out of 13 weeks - a 23% error.

Measurable, assailable, empirical wrongness.

Again it is just another example of how simplified systems are taught that in reality don't make sense.

Quite a few of the standards we are taught as children turn out not to be true in later life, but many people would not know that unless they went to pursue such evidence. Most people I know would still call today one of Spring, not Winter.

Still I go by forecasts and never count anything more than the next 72hrs as even the 5 day predictions are inaccurate. When the next day and two days after sit at a comfortable temperature then I will call it the start of Spring, as that is when the temparature feels like the season it is meant to be, not based on an Equinox, a school system or anything else.

Basically when it is warm to me it is spring / summer and what they teach at school makes no sense.

'FireKnife'

According to the font of knowledge that is QI the I before E except after C rule isn't taught in schools anymore as there are actually more exceptions to the rule than there are that follow it

I do recall that episode, though after asking a teacher it is taught by choice of the teacher.

Some places actually teach it but note the exceptions at higher Years. Often it is used as an example of how our language has changed or where contradicting rules exist in English.

Remember we do speak the hardest standardised alphabet language (i.e. not those that use symbols such as Chinese or don't use an A-Z alphabet like Greek and Russian).

'FireKnife'

Astronomical seasons: equinox-solstice-equinox-solstice

Climatic seasons: on average coldest period of 122 days=winter; hottest period of 122 days=summer; spring and autumn in between.  For a lot of places, the start of this winter will be closer to Dec. 1 than to Dec. 21.

Maybe but only because having a 122 day winter and summer means you have unequal seasons.

It only leaves time for a half spring and a half autumn.

That's also a rubbish measure since the hottest and coldest days will move around and you'd only be able to tell when summer was once you'd made it to winter and done the maths.

The astronomical ones only move a little bit because the calendar is based on them in the first place.

Ah Britain: The *albartroth*-end of the world when it comes to weather.

But my main rant is at people who fail to understand that the notice "Please keep your volume down" on the bus does apply to them.....If i have to spend 1 more Bus journey to Derby listening to this: 

on 3 out of 5 buses, im going to show them how "easy" it is to break legs.....

grrrrrrrr.

Due to where my shift patterns have fallen, I haven't skirmished since the arnies day in December.

My airsoft virginity has grown back. :(

Also: started going grey in the beard. The hair, fine. But not the beard yet?

Due to where my shift patterns have fallen, I haven't skirmished since the arnies day in December.

My airsoft virginity has grown back. :(

Also: started going grey in the beard. The hair, fine. But not the beard yet?

Sort of in the same boat, I want to attend a decent game but haven't since December :(.

As for going grey, I am suprised I haven't considering what my Dad is like :P.

'FireKnife'

Doesn't the beard go grey before the hair?

Mine didnt. I got 1 or 2 grey head hairs a couple of years ago, then last year, before my wedding, I got a dose more!

Only recently found one in the beard though.

I genuinely don't give a *fruitcage* about going grey. It's nature, why fight it. Same with hair loss. I'm receding a bit, but don't care. Is less to cut and wash!

I don't get the vanity of implants, wigs etc...

Faith school's use to teach (I think they still do) that the animals went on the arc, in two's.

Wrong (thank you Qi for pointing that out to the masses).

Clean animals went on in sevens.

Dirty animals by twos.

Love winding my wife up with that little gem.

Rant:- I am in no way a good drawer. But, I use to draw machines, buildings and technology, at a decent level. Now I find it very differcult to draw a simple corridor! Lots of practice needed this weekend.

Edit:- just to clarify. I have nothing against faith schools or teachers. They have a vey hard job, that involves adapting the syllabus, every time the government comes up with a new idea. The government then blames that new idea, for a drop in achievement.

I haven't airsofted in nearly 2 years now. I'm expecting a ban here any time soon!

Rant? Toothache. Why do wisdom teeth come through so late? And give you a gum/jaw infection while doing so? Had 1 out when I was around 14 I think, 3 more coming through now (I'm 33). Two are sore as fook, and one of those two has caused said infection.

Which leads me on to... Why do you have to pay for the dentist when an NHS patient. I don't have to pay for other surgery. I cold lose a leg and have a titanium megaleg fitted for nowt, but literally 1 minute sat in a dentist chair costs £17-odd, plus the prescription fee for the antibiotics.

Leading on to... Prescription fees. The jocks and taffs don't have them. We do. No racism, I just think it should be all in the same boat, and if everyone paid, would it not cut NHS costs?

Meh.

Archived