My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Actually the hipsters and the 'up to date' people seem to go for Apple, often those people also suffer from Magpie Syndrome too.

It is the nerds, geeks and those that don't have a reason to be constricted to Windows (work in my case) that plump for Ubuntu. It is like Firefox, as it is free and open source it is up to the community it has made to improve it, where as Windows is meant to find a single way to improve the lives of as many people as possible, not the individual.

Ubuntu is like a manager giving one person a promotion as they have done well and need to be honored at the behest of all his other workers, Windows is like giving a singular one percent pay rise to everyone. Everyone benefits a little bit but no-one gets that much more out of it.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the hipsters and the 'up to date' people seem to go for Apple, often those people also suffer from Magpie Syndrome too.

Not Mainstream Either. And even more reasons for retarded smugness.

My computers are, in all intents and purposes, gaming rigs. And despite all trends, DirectX (along with the rest of Windows) is still required for most titles these days. Plus, it usually turns out that when something goes wrong with Windows, the problem is in a third-party program that gets tangled in years of legacy spaghetti code, which actually isn't that different from a situation occurring in other operating systems.

Also, I want a Marushin M1887 Terminator model, but it costs $350 before shipping and is out of stock at most places.

Meh at the end of the day Windows does work, but it is meant to please it's most common users, home and small business users so it works for them.

For those that want something tailored you have Ubuntu.

For those that are stupid, think image is everything and £500 is petty cash you have Apple.

Just the way it is, if it wasn't for Apple software being so 'we are the only one' (bit like the Zero In of operating systems) then they would have a bigger user base and less flak sent their way but they don't.

'FireKnife'

The "walled garden" approach is very good in that respect. However I just hate the over feel of OS X. At my old job we had a client who was a design company, as expected they all had Mac's. A day fixing stuff there was just a ball ache. I don't like how you have the menu bar changing depending on what window you have highlighted at the time, plus I just don't like the way its set out. My mum also has a Mac at home, I think I almost drop kicked it out of the door last time it had a problem.

I prefer Windows myself, it doesn't let me format the hard drive that the OS is running on whilst it's actually running the OS! We thought that was quite impressive on our Mac mini. :P

The only problem with apple opening up to everyone is then it will be swimming in viruses and all the other spam and rubbish that windows does

However I would take a bit of virus watch in exchange for being able to buy any program I want and using it, knowing that I can shop around and not pay the most for the most expensive and ultimately useless product.

That whole 'viruses don't affect us' thing is silly, with the widespread use of the iPhone and iPad people will twig eventually.

As for spam, that is the user that generates spam, and can be done by any email or open account, whatever system you use. Yes Hotmail could be a lot better but hell it is free and very thin on the ground when it comes to adverts so why moan about it? You either pay or you get spam, like everything in life, nothing is truly free :P.

As for the formatting, at least you can plug something into a Windows or Linux machine and it works, unlike Apple that feels like it is giving you a 1984 style security and breakdown test. The others just let you choose, rather than force it upon you.

'FireKnife'

The only problem with apple opening up to everyone is then it will be swimming in viruses and all the other spam and rubbish that windows does

There are plenty of harmful viruses out there for Apple-based products. Quite a few malware ads you find on dodgy sites can affect Macs. Not nearly as much as you can find for Windows-based PCs, though. That's not because of the 'Walled Garden', it's simply down to market share. In 2012, Apple had a market share of 14% (OSX). Simply not enough demand.

Well *fruitcage* you and your *fruitcage* Ubuntu. You can roll your Ubuntu up and shove it up your *albartroth*. Seriously, I'm *fruitcage* sick to death with that smug Linux faggotry: "It doesn't work on Windows? It doesn't work BECAUSE Windows!" Bull *fruitcage* *suitcase*. First, it's a *fruitcage* GAMING laptop (I do play Crysis on it, and on medium details). Second, the problem, as usual, was in third-party software, namely outdated drivers. Third, I don't have time to go through networking ###### in one more OS that doesn't even match the rest of the computers in the house.

Wow.

I am actually pretty surprised by your apparent anger there.

1.  Try not to say faggotry please, we have discussed the "gay" issue ad nauseam and this is in the same ball park, I don't like it.

Although, if I did roll an entire OS into a tube and bum myself with it you might have a point.

2.  I am not, by any means, a hipster.  I am isolated from mainstream culture but not through choice.  I have Win7 on my desktop rig because I play games on it but I also have a dual boot to Ubuntu because it is more simple for my wife and it always works, if something goes wrong I can boot into Linux and fix Windows.

3. I was joking, "well there's your problem" is a fairly standard meme.

Windows 7 is crappy and badly optimised and it is not always down to bad drivers.  Win7 SP1 has refused to download and install for a year because my primary SSD is on the PCIe bus. I have been told by the experts to clone my drive onto a normal HDD, pull all the other drives out of my computer except that one, install SP1 then re-clone it back to the SSD.

Now there's a reasonable procedure.

Anyway, I always listen to music on VLC player and I'm smug because I have a superiority complex, not because I use Linux.

Rant:- I just can't stop looking for the perfect sized torch. But it also has to look cool and be water proof, which don't seem to go hand in hand. Got a sidewinder torch in the post today and its great, but I thought it'd be bigger. First world problems.

I always find that most blokes have a superiority complex. Me being one of them. Though I do try my best to keep it at bay.

Well. I'm in that odd place, of, when I see it, I'll know it's the right size. I reckon 4 inches long, with flood/beam and a pressure on/off button (the type that can also be partially pressed to turn it on, and then release to turn off). But it can't be too detailed or be "bumpy" in the body. I think it's a case, of wanting too much, for something that does so little.

.  Try not to say faggotry please, we have discussed the "gay" issue ad nauseam and this is in the same ball park, I don't like it.

Although, if I did roll an entire OS into a tube and bum myself with it you might have a point.

Well, considering that it's preaching one "correct" point of view while disparaging others as "backwards" when the issue is limited to private life and you're trying to make people go against the generally accepted way of doing things with misguided zeal when they don't even want to, it's actually very fitting if you think about it. :P Also, I hate that old "joke" (it's not funny) with a passion, because not once in my life I had any severe problems with any Windows system I had. Hell, I even managed to install SVGA drivers and something to squeeze more out of my PC Speaker under Win 3.11. Trying other operating systems was nothing more than a neverending string of misery for me. Seriously, mention "doesn't work? Go Linux!" when the problem is in some stupid kink of the system coming from the fact that a PC is a very complex thing put together from parts manufactured by various companies to pretty obtuse standards (as opposed to a Mac, which is always put together according to very precise specifications, mostly because the Apple Nazis need to maintain strict control over everything that goes into a Mac or comes out of a Mac) and I break out the heavy artillery. It's like suggesting that I read Daily Heil.

Also, pendrives these days... :P

Windows 7 is crappy and badly optimised and it is not always down to bad drivers.  Win7 SP1 has refused to download and install for a year because my primary SSD is on the PCIe bus.

Oh, have you used Vista then? Win 7 is actually one of the better ones, although I believe that any off-the-shelf OS would go nuts when confronted with this sort of hardware abomination.

No, I went from DOS to Works to 98 Lite to XP to Win7.

I had ME installed for 2 days and sacked it, I know 7 is good, it's the first OS I have paid money for.

I just find that if you are up in the edges of what stuff can do the basic OS is going to start running into problems.  I just try to laugh at it.

Other OSs have been a requirement for me, computers at various jobs have had such fun things as Unix, BEOS and several proprietary, horrible texty things.

Type of battery would preferably be AA/AAA. I find, smaller than that, to be a bit pricey (looking at you cr123a).

Edit:- also, I don't like surefire torches (to much detail and thin). I did find a BnQ torch that took AAA had a dim/flood feature and a pressure button. That's the closest I've come, to the torch I want. Madness.

Well that escalated quickly.

Agreed.

Instead of entirely wigging out like an 8 year old on a sugar rush denied some sherbet flinging around words like faggotry for no reason; it'd be great if, in the future, you could behave and debate like an adult, Mike West.

Also, damn you stuntman, I am moving to NZ in September. :P

Edit: made it look like I was yelling at Spets for no reason :(

Ouch :P.

Still at the end of the day you will always get those that still use Windows as it works for them, Linux as it works for them and Apple as they haven't seen the light ;).

As for my rant, well I am trying to talk to people at work but actual work keeps getting in the way damn it, why must it keep getting in the way :D.

'FireKnife'

Goddamned European Union and other monkeys.

We performed an audit as required by them mid-January. Until February 20th or so they couldn't be arsed to even look at it. Then they found errors, way past any sensible deadline. We fixed those and delivered a correct (or so we thought) version last week. Now they have the gall to demand yet more corrections until Friday. When we have to relay everything to the auditing company, who has to confirm it, sign it, send it to us and we have to send it to Brussels.

And I'm not supposed to be wigging out?!

Perhaps if the job was done properly first time round you wouldn't have to be correcting mistakes, also it may have taken them a while as they might have other things to look at, or did you think your company is special and the only ones being audited. As for the use of language like fagotty, it's the kind of language I would expect from a 12 year old commenting on a YouTube video and does you no favours

Just been told by a friend of mine who owns an insurance brokers / company . That this goverments plans to shut police stations and fire stations is going to put up everyone's insurance premiums .. As per usual , yet another ill thought out policy by this oxygen theiving goverment !!!

Archived