My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh my attitude towards the Royal family is a simple one. We give them nothing, not a single penny, but everything they raise from tourism for buildings they own goes to them, that way they are earning there keep with what they have to offer like the rest of us. If they did that I wouldn't care what they did, unless they went off killing people.

'FireKnife'

Meh my attitude towards the Royal family is a simple one. We give them nothing, not a single penny, but everything they raise from tourism for buildings they own goes to them, that way they are earning there keep with what they have to offer like the rest of us. If they did that I wouldn't care what they did, unless they went off killing people.

'FireKnife'

The amount we pay for the royal family is offset almost exactly offset by the money they are calculated to bring in from tourism. So that's basically what is happening anyway.

Blade Runner, Pitch Black, Shaun of the Dead, Blades of Glory, Inception, these are all movies, that my wife will watch with me. Aliens, Predator, and Japanesse manga, that isn't studio ghibli, she won't watch. Weird.

Slowly easing into a diet, but *fruitcage* me, it's bloody hard.

The amount we pay for the royal family is offset almost exactly offset by the money they are calculated to bring in from tourism. So that's basically what is happening anyway.

Sadly not true of the past about 5 years. We are getting back 85-90% of the amount we pay to them, but I still think that they should be paying off their own backs using the propeties and tourist attractions they own. In reality they are a waste of space, but we are a nation that never really gets over traditions so we just keep them hanging around for the tourists to gawp at.

So now my poor tv is playing "Hairspray"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. So glad none of the women I have had a relationship with have made me watch that.

I might put her through ALL of the Magpul DVDs.

They are good comedies, can't beat the antics of Haley and Costa ;).

Blade Runner, Pitch Black, Shaun of the Dead, Blades of Glory, Inception, these are all movies, that my wife will watch with me. Aliens, Predator, and Japanesse manga, that isn't studio ghibli, she won't watch. Weird.

Slowly easing into a diet, but *fruitcage* me, it's bloody hard.

Wait when was Inception a good movie? Last thing I recall about it was a film that was so full of easy to see twists, excessive special effects and a plot designed to make it so easy to work out anyone can feel 'intelligent'. The rest however fair enough, can't beat some good old manly action films, they are not trying to be anything but awesome.

Shoot em up ,, damn I still love this film .

Same, where else can you kill a guy with a carrot? :P

Bizarrely i count The Kingdom as one of my fave films.....

To my mind too long for such a small pay off. It was trying to be real and edgy but I found it just wound up being boring. It had a point but a point doesn't hold a film.

And when did this become the 'films I like thread', don't we have something for that anyway :P.

'FireKnife'

Oh god, did I say Inception was an intelligent movie? Inception, is a decent bank heist movie, that doesn't cheat the audience and has elements that you can make stuff up from (the premise of any decent movie). Basically, it's all a dream and all that *badger*s (its not his totem, it was his wives so he's in a dream etc). I just see it as a fantastically shot, edited and acted, action movie. Definitely not worth the hype, which can ruin a decent movie, for people who like to go into a movie without knowing, there's a twist. Then you go in expecting a twist and look for a twist. I always think people try to be a bit of a critic when they say "special effects", when most films/movies has them, ever since the handy programme; after effects. Shoot 'em Up has loads of special effects in it, but uses them to great effect (pardon the pun) and never forgets what it is, a switch your brain off movie. I always like a movie, where you don't notice the special effect(s). Copland has a special effect in it, that not many people notice, it was to set up an establishing shot (the water tower).

I think Inception gets a bit of movie snobbery due to how hyped up it was and that ruined the movie for what it was. A decent heist movie with a load of action in it, with hints of decide for yourself, elements. Just like "In Bruge", some people hate it due to the ending, but I love that movie and love the fact it's up to you, to come up with an ending (you're giving choices all through out the movie, which should help you decide).

Watched Man on Fire last night. Still gets me at the end. Also, I like the fact my wife doesn't like airsoft or most movies I like, that at I have my own hobbies and she has hers. That way I can have my own space every now and then, which, for me, is very important.

I have 140 quid left until the end of the month, and I just got a notification from the council that I have to pay fifty quid of tax.

My flatmate is broke already, I have no idea what he's spending his money on.

Oh god, did I say Inception was an intelligent movie? Inception, is a decent bank heist movie, that doesn't cheat the audience and has elements that you can make stuff up from (the premise of any decent movie). Basically, it's all a dream and all that *badger*s (its not his totem, it was his wives so he's in a dream etc). I just see it as a fantastically shot, edited and acted, action movie. Definitely not worth the hype, which can ruin a decent movie, for people who like to go into a movie without knowing, there's a twist. Then you go in expecting a twist and look for a twist. I always think people try to be a bit of a critic when they say "special effects", when most films/movies has them, ever since the handy programme; after effects. Shoot 'em Up has loads of special effects in it, but uses them to great effect (pardon the pun) and never forgets what it is, a switch your brain off movie. I always like a movie, where you don't notice the special effect(s). Copland has a special effect in it, that not many people notice, it was to set up an establishing shot (the water tower).

I think Inception gets a bit of movie snobbery due to how hyped up it was and that ruined the movie for what it was. A decent heist movie with a load of action in it, with hints of decide for yourself, elements. Just like "In Bruge", some people hate it due to the ending, but I love that movie and love the fact it's up to you, to come up with an ending (you're giving choices all through out the movie, which should help you decide).

Watched Man on Fire last night. Still gets me at the end. Also, I like the fact my wife doesn't like airsoft or most movies I like, that at I have my own hobbies and she has hers. That way I can have my own space every now and then, which, for me, is very important.

You didn't but you put it down as a 'good movie'. To me it is not as it is trying to be something it isn't, a decent alternative thriller / action idea. It is trying too hard to make people think that a convoluted story makes a film deep, mix in some special effects and you are done. It is like Pearl Harbour, adding in a love triangle plot into a war film doesn't make it a romantic war film that has a point, it is just wasting time for other stuff to go boom.

Though that is why I like things like Shoot Em Up, it never leads you down the wrong path, it is a film that knows what it is, awful and good at it. I have nothing wrong with good films that actually have a well thought out idea and execution (like Se7en love that film) but sometimes you need a brain switch off film and Inception feels like it is trying to be a smart middle ground that doesn't work to me.

Also to tie this in to an actualy rant I still have four film reviews to write, I can't be bothered but the ten people that read them will be. :P

I have 140 quid left until the end of the month, and I just got a notification from the council that I have to pay fifty quid of tax.

My flatmate is broke already, I have no idea what he's spending his money on.

Hookers and coke? I could actually spend my money in hookers as I always end up with about £50 a week spare in my 'to spend' pot. Well that or more GUNZ!!!!!

'FireKnife'

This is an actual rant, about movies (well, kind of a rant). I like how you said Se7en was a good movie, I agree. Though if you give it the same scrutiny you gave Inception, you'll find many flaws (mainly the fact Morgan Freeman is the main detective, yet he never sees the danger after finding the killers apartment). Se7en try's to be an intelligent thriller, but it falls sort in the last act. The detective should have seen the danger that the killer represented. It makes him out to be a bumbling idiot (Morgan Freeman), after establishing as an intelligent individual, in the first act (admittedly with a throw away comment about some cases being left unsolved).

Rant:- people on ebay how they keep stringing you along,regarding the item you've purchased off of them (still haven't posted it yet after 7 days).

This is an actual rant, about movies (well, kind of a rant). I like how you said Se7en was a good movie, I agree. Though if you give it the same scrutiny you gave Inception, you'll find many flaws (mainly the fact Morgan Freeman is the main detective, yet he never sees the danger after finding the killers apartment). Se7en try's to be an intelligent thriller, but it falls sort in the last act. The detective should have seen the danger that the killer represented. It makes him out to be a bumbling idiot (Morgan Freeman), after establishing as an intelligent individual, in the first act (admittedly with a throw away comment about some cases being left unsolved).

Rant:- people on ebay how they keep stringing you along,regarding the item you've purchased off of them (still haven't posted it yet after 7 days).

That is true, but in the case of Inception it is trying to do it by being all special effects and silly ideas. Ok some of the things in Se7en don't quite add up but at least the plot holes and flaws are something that you could glance over or find a congent reason for. I agree with South Park about Inception, it is just making things over complicated to look cool when it could have been much easier, more focused and thus better.

Also need to finish those film reviews with Cat People, Chicago and Chinatown still to write up (and about 160 still to watch).

'FireKnife'

I'm stuck at work and I want to create another Photoshop abomination of a firearm (actually better than the Russian bullpup with a Bizon mag I posted years ago).

Also, I can't find cheap Broomhandle Mauser and MP40 springers anywhere. And after my last Photoshop abomination I found out that the MP40 pistol grip fits the Broomhandle pretty well.

Yeah, that could be said about most blockbusters. It's what I didn't like about the Star Trek Into Darkness. I found the effects to distracting from the story, where as in the first one, by JJ, the effects help to convey the emotions and set pace/tone for later on in the movie. I like Inception, but don't agree it used effects to try and make it more clever, that was the people who liked it and thought that they where more intelligent, for doing so. Same with The Matrix, the bullet time sequences seem dated now and over the top, but the pace of the story still holds up. Personally, I think effects can help tell a story but only when used appropriately (help to convey emotion).

Rant:- Muggy weather, really does my tits in. Still, it's not the end of the world, but it is a gripe none the less. Raining, great. Sunny, has its advantages. Very muggy, bloody hell.

Yeah, that could be said about most blockbusters. It's what I didn't like about the Star Trek Into Darkness. I found the effects to distracting from the story, where as in the first one, by JJ, the effects help to convey the emotions and set pace/tone for later on in the movie. I like Inception, but don't agree it used effects to try and make it more clever, that was the people who liked it and thought that they where more intelligent, for doing so. Same with The Matrix, the bullet time sequences seem dated now and over the top, but the pace of the story still holds up. Personally, I think effects can help tell a story but only when used appropriately (help to convey emotion).

Rant:- Muggy weather, really does my tits in. Still, it's not the end of the world, but it is a gripe none the less. Raining, great. Sunny, has its advantages. Very muggy, bloody hell.

I see what you mean but if those sequences didn't get put in the filme they wouldn't be viewed in that way. I think a director / screen writer has to actively make a a decision about what they put in to a film and then should take how it is viewed, this is why you have test screenings etc. I do feel that films like Inception feel to me like the effects are there to make it seem that way, you could have had a good action / mind bending thriller without being so excessive about it. I think the hype though didn't help, often now films get hyped up but in reality just can't deliver on expectations.

'FireKnife'

That is what annoys me about "hype", they hype up a movie, in the wrong way. There have been a fair few movies that are made, that the studio just don't know how to market it. Then they try to make it out to be something, it's not. When it comes to scenes, sometimes the screenplay will just say "x person is attacked by y person". Then it's up to the director and stunt co-or donator (initially), to establish what they can do and if they have the time/budget.

Archived