My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dropped your ukara isnt ukara site run? Membership I means

The nearest site to me where the UKARA was set up I asked time and time again to get it put onto the database when I was in Bristol. In the end I asked Frenchie who at the time was at Airsoft World and he added me to the UKARA Members list so I could buy again. About 6-7 months later I went to buy something to be told that I had been taken off the Members list so couldn't buy a RIF. When I asked they had put it down that I was added back about 5-6 months prior even though I hadn't. They then went with the whole 'we are right, you are wrong, nothing you can do about it as we have your form' (I had to get the original from the site in Bristol and do it myself).

I know I should have kept a copy of the UKARA license but they asked for the original and I forgot to. Should have seen it coming really. A retailer can add you to the UKARA databse but it is really only to be done in case the site is being a toss up about it.

Shame really as they used to be one of the better shops

Care to go into detail about what they were doing in 3?

Well I have never had anything good to say about them in all of the 7 years I have been playing.

Two things, one was the 'tigerstripe' effect that they were doing on guns that covered about a third of the gun originally which they changed but then about the fact they had both an IF and then on the same page next to it the exact parts to change it over to a RIF. If you picked up the IF then added the parts after which could make it a RIF then they would send it out no issue as one order. Now I know that some might say 'what is the issue with that' but you are actively sending out an order with both an IF and the exact easy to change parts to make it a RIF without a check? That to me is not right no matter how you spin it. There was also that thing about them selling pistols that were all of about 33% two-tone not the required 51%+ but then that is something many places have done as they think that just the slide makes for 51% (it clearly doesn't; example given):

yboe.jpg

'FireKnife'

It was about 5 or 6 years ago I noticed their customer service had slipped

As for the 2 tone issues, IMO even if the coloured part is over the required 51% it should be done as blocks of colour rather than some tarty design pattern. Allowing the sale of an IF with the parts to convert it to a RIF is simply irresponsible, I'm sure I've seen some store websites state that any order where they think someone is going to convert an IF to a RIF without a VCRA defence will be canceled

Well a claim was put out that someone had ordered one with little issue. While that is speculation the fact that for a good month both were on the same page (you even had a 'recommended product' bit in each others parts page).

In fact does the VCRA not declare that the difference between a RIF and IF is '51% or more of a solid single colour from the following list'?

'FireKnife'

you even had a 'recommended product' bit in each others parts page.'

That's interesting as I thought those are automaticly generated by what products were purchased together. If this is so then they must be allowing it, but if the recommended product lists are up together by the shop then they're actively encouraging it

That's interesting as I thought those are automaticly generated by what products were purchased together. If this is so then they must be allowing it, but if the recommended product lists are up together by the shop then they're actively encouraging it

I recall it being in the recommended and 'customer who bought this' sections but alas that has since changed so perhaps it was pointed out by others.

Personally I just don't like them as a shop and they have now gotten to the point of not worth it, not when many other places stock the same guns for similar prices.

'FireKnife'

Some retailers will try new ways to grab a sale . Recession is affecting all shops . But the law is the law even if it is badly written and open to various interpretations . Same issue happened a month or so back with a london retailer when they tried to bend the rules . Legaly correct but morally wrong when they tried to sell a pistol as an airpistol and a rif at the same time .

Ukara and Phil bucknal got involved and they backed down .

Remember to be members of the ukara retailers associatin they have to abide by a code of conduct .

See I saw that and thought the response was pathetic.* If it is legal then its legal whining about morality is the same thing those that want guns and rifs banned would do.

"Waaaah you are doing something completely legal but but but I don't like it so I will call it immoral."

I can think of about 4 RFDs near me who will sell me a "Dan Wesson" or "ruger redhawk" in 6mm as an air pistol or a utg boltie l96 as an air rifle. Done legally and fine and dandy.

The oh if the slides blue its fine was and is something I have always thought was wrong and the recommended products is a bit....

I always assumed it was done by accounts. Ie guy buys if then 3 months later buys parts to make rif and this happens often enough for them system to link them however it does lead to a temptation to break or bend the law by the buyer and should be blocked by the shop.

*not an attack directed at anyone just the whole frothing OMG!!! Of it all.

Its more of a grey untested area than legal to all intents and purposes . Down to interpretation of written laws . Problem is that once people start exploiting loopholes the goverment may see it as people taking the pee and then make stricter laws or ban Airsoft gun sales altogether .

The issue with the london retailer was that they had a lawyer who advised them that it would be legal to sell this way . By using competition Airsoft pistol shooting as a defense . After a lot of legal definitions were exhausted it was found that they couldn't use this as the vcra act specifically gave the defense for the act of skirmishing / not competition shooting . Combined with the fact that there are no minimum power levels for an airpistol

An airpistol cannot by legal definition become a rif or if , yet an if it rif can become an airpistol if it exceeds a certain power level , badly defined wording of a hastily written law , leaves these loopholes . Exploiting them could bring down our sport if the goverment have another nanny state brainstorm .

hate to be cynical but  I got a written by the mother for whatever reason vibe, a letter that vile is the sign of a diseased mind and someone who is that abusive ime will have said something verbally before the letter. that letter isn't the first contact I would expect if that makes sense. If written by a neighbor I would expect a verbal confrontation, shouted jeers or similar comments first. if someone had an issue with the kid I wouldn't expect it to go from 0-Nutter that quickly I would expect 0-comment-ruder comment-nutter.

my experience of those with such virulently repulsive views is they either do it/say it behind peoples backs quietly with like minded people or have the conversations in such a way they can be overheard. for example. sat at the next table in a restaurant talking about how a cull would be kinder to the parents as it would save them from the stress, in a tone that guaranteed the voice carried, or they are the type to make direct horrid comments. 

Its not "cynical" its utterly spurious and callous. Your experience counts for sweet F.A

the letter was received by the grandmother of the child - not the mother. You lack knowledge of even the most basic facts and clearly you have made it up as you went along. Why bother? Can you imagine the anguish that this letter would of caused - and then to accuse the mother. Shameful

yeah I mad

Its not "cynical" its utterly spurious and callous. Your experience counts for sweet F.A

the letter was received by the grandmother of the child - not the mother. You lack knowledge of even the most basic facts and clearly you have made it up as you went along. Why bother? Can you imagine the anguish that this letter would of caused - and then to accuse the mother. Shameful

yeah I mad

At the risk of kicking off a froth fest... Do YOU know the full facts? Are you directly involved in the investigation (although commenting if you are, is probably worse)?

Whilst I appreciate your reaction, maybe you need to appreciate people have differing opinions, and are just as free to express them as you? This being a public forum on the internet an' all.

Fothing like that tends to switch people off from what you're actually trying to say ;)

Just sayin' etc....

I at no point directly accused the mother, I at no point said it was received by the mother, I can point to many cases where such things were fabricated for attention, for sympathy, to raise awareness of a pet cause, to slander others. Things like that happen unfortunately and so it is always a possibility that must be considered.

bearing in mind the letter was delivered to a member of the family it is obvious the author is known to the family and it struck me as odd that someone with such bigoted virulent views did not make any sort of comment either within earshot or to someone within that social circle who then relayed it to the family or even directly to the family. 

as for my experiences not being valid, why is your emotional response valid and mine response not merely because I express a view you disagree with.  to call it spurious with no facts is....

finishing with a twang at the heartstrings was a nice touch though and in answer yes I can I have stood in a taxi queue on my crutches and been spat at and called subhuman because I have a disability. I have been sworn at and called a spastic rolling down the high street in my wheelchair. I have had members of the extended family make comments to my parents asking when I would be sent to a government institution so they could concentrate on their "normal" child. So yes I am familiar with the upset and hurt that a letter like that could elicit. 

as for the loophole thing, why is it that an action that is perfectly legal that people disagree with always labelled as such? is it to elicit an emotional and moral judgement response in the listener? As for the air weapon vs rif vs if thing, that results in stupid things like the junker ak47 looking thing in 4.5 being fine to sell with just id but a cyma in 6mm plastic needing a defense. Whenever I used to wander into the air gun shop in york it always blew my mind how pointless the distinction seemed when his plastic ball firing nmp5 was half lurid green but right next to it was another mp5 that can be used to kill a rabbit. 

At the risk of kicking off a froth fest... Do YOU know the full facts? Are you directly involved in the investigation (although commenting if you are, is probably worse)?

Whilst I appreciate your reaction, maybe you need to appreciate people have differing opinions, and are just as free to express them as you? This being a public forum on the internet an' all.

Fothing like that tends to switch people off from what you're actually trying to say ;)

Just sayin' etc....

No  I'm not involved in the investigation and no I don't know the full facts. Hence why I have specifically accused anybody, nor have I idly speculated on the identity...

People are free to express their opinion and I am free to call out when I think it is, as I said, callous and spurious. Likewise if, for whatever reason, you decide to speculate on whether or not the mother wrote it helps to have either a reason, or motivation of which there was neither.  basically anything a bit stronger then "a whatever reason vibe". awesome...

"I at no point directly accused the mother,"

no you just heavily implied...

"nI at no point said it was received by the mother"

- doesn't really make a difference, does it? You've said something pretty nasty without a shred of evidence, or for that matter, reasoning behind it. You've made your bed...

oh come off it.

It would hypocritical of me if I had in anyway speculated on who wrote it. I haven't - because I'm not in possession of the facts! To do other wise would be spurious - that is my point.

Personally I do not consider it the decent thing to suggest that the mother did it without anything to justify that claim. If you think that makes me worthy of a red top hack then so be it.

edit / fyi: the family

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/08/18/family-in-shock-after-hate-letter-targets-teen-with-autism/

Come off what? You wrote quite a strong attack on another user (whom I'll point out here, I don't know in anyway), accusing them of commenting without the full facts... Whilst not having any yourself! How do you know they're not absolutely right?

That there, is both hypocritical and all things considered, somewhat obnoxious.

Even if they're completely wrong, it doesn't really justify the tone you've taken.

I happen to see Paranoids point of "self sent" as perfectly logical, and as good a point for discussion as any other. It happens. You getting your panties in a bunch about it, doesn't deflect from either the logic, or merit of the opinion given.

I'm fairly sure that noone is suggesting the letter itself has any merit, or justification under any circumstances...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

Seriously Skarclaw when I do my trolling and bad laughs it is clear that I am taking the shizz and only a few people that are too stupid to see it is a joke get their backs up.

However direct attacks at another member then having your hypocracy pointed out to you by other members is not good. Most threads I see you in seems to end up with you going after a member and then a string of posts telling you to wind your neck in. Granted once or twice you have been right but the rest of the time it is pointless and silly then leads to another off-topic political / social discussion that doesn't go anywhere.

Calm down a bit and just let it all out in your own time, not by directing such things towards other members.

And to make this on topic. Buses, seriously I get that for the old, those that live and work in a city and those that are too young to drive they are a reliable and effective means of transport but why oh why do they have to allow the loud mouth, foul smelling chavs and others on that clearly are not going anywhere and probably just on the bus on a day ticket as it allows them to avoid the benefits investigators. Granted this is maybe all of one, two or three passengers on the bus but the attitude that they have to others is terrible. I know for a fact that if we lived in a country where true justice was allowed to prevail the driver would just say 'get off' and if not the passengers would help eject them from the bus but no they sit there, stink like a chimney stack, swear at people and scream down the phone at their GF, wife or dog (no I am not joking, a guy asked his <insert female relation here, probably sister-wife> to put the dog on the phone and then he spent the next 5 minutes swearing at it, with about 5 school kids in earshot).

'FireKnife'

I reject that I have been hypocritical.

no I am not in the full facts. but once again I have no accused anybody. No, I don't know that she didn't do it. BUT there must be good reason to think so! Its akin to when religious types say "but how you do you know God doesn't exist!?" its a bit like the onus of the believer

As for the good point of discussion, I disagree with this aswell. If there was a basis then maybe, but as it stands something very upsetting has happened and it seems to me an odd thing to come out with this early on.

Given subsequent posts I take back my comment that it was callous, and I apologise.  I still maintain that it was spurious however.

Fireknife: I would rather post my opinions and argue about stuff then. I'll stand by what I wrote and hold my hands up when I'm wrong. I won't use a smilie face as a get of jail free card... Obviously my opinions are highly disagreeable but someone's gotta do it!

I'll leave it here as I have to go to work and I am cannoing in deepest darkest Wales/hereford. If anybody is as boring as I am  wishes to continue this then feel free to PM me but won't be back till Monday.

laters

Untill the full facts emerge this argument is pointless . It could have been a nasty letter sent by a neighbour just as much as it could be a self written letter to get rehoused for victimisation grounds .

Desperate people will take desperate measures to get what they want .

I hope the police get to the source and take strong action regardless of the perpetrator of this vile letter ,

Seeing as its all over the net now , a few stones may be turned over .

The last thought I had was . That an anonymous person wrote it as a viral letter just to get Internet attention and it is a false letter that has been posted up just for attention by a sick person who wanted to gain reactions from people. Its happened before !

Eh I have voiced my opinions / concerns so take from it what you want either way.

Anyway so this is not really a rant but more a 'carry on from last few days'. So after the £550 quote from Kwik Fit without MOT and parts I went to a local garage called Colin's Tyres.

Went through the MOT and failed on: Drivers side wheel bearing roughness, drivers side brake pipe corrosion and drivers side headlight needing adjustment. So for the exhaust repair, MOT, all the parts needed and fitting for the failure issues: £350.

Not bad at all, seeing as the work that needs done is getting done and it still comes in at £200 under the Kwik Fit estimate that doesn't include the MOT or the issues that might arise from it. I am happier as it is getting done irrelevant of cost and it comes in much cheaper than the shower of bastards that is Kwik Fit.

'FireKnife'

The letter I posted was gained off of Facebook. I follow the life of a boy who was born with (blooming hell, I really cannot spell, so sorry in advanced, as I try to sound it out) cle-ff-ed lip (each side of his nose, was not formed to join with his lower jaw). The facebook page shows the problems he has to face, but also the nice things he encounters. The mother of the boy (not the one mentioned in the letter I posted) has received some very shocking hate mail. Why let him be born and all that .

Now, I was made aware of the letter I posted, by the page I follow (his name is Christian) on facebook. As far as I am aware, the police are looking into it and are taking it very seriously. No mention of anything happening previously, but name calling has taken place. If anything else gets mentioned, I'll post a link.

As mentioned by other members, there is the possibility that this is a hoax. Which I am sure the police have considered. It's a sad fact of life, that we have to be very astute when it comes to this sort of thing. But lets not forget, it could also be a cry for help (rightly or wrongly). Having had to deal with people who are ignorant to disabilities, I can understand people being defensive and protective (also can understand the need to point out, the letter could be a hoax).

Archived