My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any luck with energy comapnies?

I am with SSE and the best I had with them was being switched to paperless, not being told then getting a letter claiming my electricity would be shut off unless I paid my bill of £100-ish that was outstanding.

Can't really pay a bill if you expect it to turn up and it never does. Silly company.

'FireKnife'

Woke up today, went to get a package at the post office, was a barrel I ordered 2months ago :-D finaly.

Misses woke up due to a phonecall about the wedding clothes not being ready tomorrow (2nd time it is postponed)

To get the wedding clothes is a 6hours trip---> normaly tomorrow, now in 2 or 3 weeks... When I had planned a skirmish...

My note of complaint to Parcelforce.

---

"Riddle me this", said the 'Riddler' character from the old Batman TV shows.

If I had been The Riddler, my riddle would be thus: When is a parcel delivery company NOT a parcel delivery company? When it doesn't actually deliver anything!

A secondary answer could very well be: "When it is Parcelforce".

Today, I was standing on my driveway, having put my bicycle into the garage, when I saw a gentlemen in a day glo orange coat. Cheery as I am, I looked to him, made eye contact and gave a small wave. Perhaps he had something for me? I -was- expecting a parcel.

Eye contact broken, he carried on out of my line of sight.

Into the house I go and Lo! What is this I see before me? A small note waiting on my doormat, like some message in a bottle cast into the ocean by a hapless trapped survivor of a shipwreck, begging to be read.

"We called to deliver/collect your parcel". No, dear Sir, I am afraid I must disagree. You called to deliver a "I couldn't be bothered to put your parcel on my van, so here, in its place, is this note" card.

When said gentleman and I exchanged our all-too-brief glances, he was not carrying anything even remotely parcel shaped. If he had, he could have merrily sauntered up to my position (or I, being a polite fellow, and in possession of a healthy pair of legs, may have met him half way), and voiced this kind and gentle phrase: "Parcel for you, Sir". Instead... he, like some fluorescent ninja, used his secret power of "Hiding in plain sight" to infiltrate my porch and then, with graceful deftness and lightness of touch, slipped this note through my letterbox. Then, he turned and fled, his deed complete, and disappeared into the ether.

Needless to say, I was not all that grateful about having to venture forth and collect my parcel from the Post Office (after the requisite wait till 4pm, where all the other 'lost socks' in the washing machine of Parcelforce's machinations eventually gather.

So perhaps, the most perfect answer to my riddle should be: "Is there any other company which lies to it's customers in writing, on a daily basis?"

Maybe I should leave solving such riddles to Batman. Maybe my next delivery shall be a large searchlight with a Bat motif in the centre, so I may shine it upon the clouds to call that hero to my aid.

But, if I have my way, it will not be delivered by Parcelforce.

I think I will add this to the box of 'examples that we in Britain are fine to be *suitcase* all over by the companies we rely on'.

It is a very full box, brimming over with slips of paper about energy companies, couriers, fast food restaurants and public transport services.

'FireKnife'

I think I will add this to the box of 'examples that we in Britain are fine to be *suitcase* all over by the companies we rely on'.

It is a very full box, brimming over with slips of paper about energy companies, couriers, fast food restaurants and public transport services.

'FireKnife'

And the train services.....

Because obviously in a recession 42 BILLION pounds has to go towards  allowing the fatcat commuters to get their starbucks 15 minutes early as oppose to putting that money into the NHS , transport services or giving us some sensible legislation and tarrifs on energy companies.

I fail to see how HS2 will bring nothing but a large noise and whoosh that costs 42 billion pounds. Cows do that for free everyday. They cost 200 pound.

And the train services.....

Because obviously in a recession 42 BILLION pounds has to go towards  allowing the fatcat commuters to get their starbucks 15 minutes early as oppose to putting that money into the NHS , transport services or giving us some sensible legislation and tarrifs on energy companies.

I fail to see how HS2 will bring nothing but a large noise and whoosh that costs 42 billion pounds. Cows do that for free everyday. They cost 200 pound.

To be honest I think HS2 is just a big waste, perhaps though it is the English answer to the tram fiasco in Edinburgh?

I mean everyone needs a blot on their record right? Tony Blair had selling weapons to Gaddafi-duck, why can't the Conservatives have a huge spending failure? :P

'FireKnife'

Save 15 minutes on your train journey to then lose 30 / 60 minutes trying to commute on our pothole stricken roads ,trying to avoid burst water mains / roadworks and overcrowded useless overpriced buses and tubes .

They should have got the existing transport system running smoothly first. .

Total waste of money , anything gained will be lost at either end of it .

Just another millennium dome in the making . Who is going to rescue this mess up when it starts losing money ?

Just look at the Thames cable car passenger quota per day . About 12 people at the last count !!

The logic behind it is sound. Efficient Infrastructure= Economic Growth. However, making one piece of infrastructure with limited application hyper efficient whilst you have to queue for nearly 45 minutes to drive 4 miles up Otley/Kirkstall road (two of the main transit routes in an out of Leeds, a city that relies on commuters) on a morning and evening and countless similar situations in other cities does not improve infrastructure. Make existing infrastructure more efficient, widen the road, build trams or trains or anything that is needed and I promise our cities will return to economic growth. But no, we keep investing in utterly retarded prestige projects that will simply suck more business into the capital.

They would would have been better of , or still could be if they built a water pumping pipeline to transfer water up and down the country when reservoirs run low . Could have solved our bi yearly flooding / drought problems in one fell swoop and benefited everyone in this country .

Logistical nightmare.

There is no integrated national grid for water, it's not a question of pumping (although I don't think that is what you mean).

The water boards that neither flood nor drought in the middle would gain nothing from the system but are obliged to pay for the bit of pipe that goes through their region.

Should have been done when it was still nationalised but meh.

The next useless project is going to be the airport . ( Boris Island )

Why not make a high speed rail link out to the existing underused stanstead airport and link it properly into the transport grid . Why spend billions to move Heathrow. To a new location . Surely 2 or 3 . Main hub airports make more sense than building a new one from scratch and closing another .

Personally I think hs2 should be put on hold / scrapped and the money used to build the nuclear power stations we so desperately require ..

Meh, Heathrow is the airport equivalent of Kowloon Walled City.

It is a plain old mess, layers and layers of "good enough" fixes to problems caused by the previous "fixes" all built around a core of outdated infrastructure.

Comparing it to Stanstead is like comparing a Mclaren MP4-12C to a pogo stick.

I don't usually travel for work but this year I did a lot of it and going from Heathrow was a shoulder sagging prospect.

Stanstead was Park hire car-> into building-> through check in-> through security-> on plane-> go.

Painless.

Heathrow was: fight way through apocalyptic traffic-> get lost-> find car hire place and drop off car-> wait for bus-> take long-assed bus trip to the terminal-> get lost-> find check in (around a corner, not signposted)-> walk all the way to your  destination-> get on plane and somehow still have to fly somewhere.

It's ridiculous, you need to leave half an hour to get from the airport to the damn plane.

Just like Kowloon walled city I think the only solution is to level the entire thing and rebuild but since we can't afford the down time of being without the airport we have to build a new one.

And since people are generally *rickrolls* and nobody wants an airport in their back garden, let alone a new one then building in the estury is a great idea.

Britain has got the crappiest airports in europe and that sucks, we need to shape up.

Once they find away to explode / diffuse the massive bombs that are sitting in the estuary and surrounding area . Ss Montgomery got stuck in the mud in 1947 and has over 1500 tons of explosives on board, That's the reason why nothing has been built there for all these years. . Apparently detonating them was not an option due to the damage they would cause to buildings in the surrounding areas . Apparently enough explosives to cause a blast that would measure 4.5 on the Richter scale according to scientists and bomb experts .

Once they find away to explode / diffuse the massive bombs that are sitting in the estuary and surrounding area . Ss Montgomery got stuck in the mud in 1947 and has over 1500 tons of explosives on board, That's the reason why nothing has been built there for all these years. . Apparently detonating them was not an option due to the damage they would cause to buildings in the surrounding areas . Apparently enough explosives to cause a blast that would measure 4.5 on the Richter scale according to scientists and bomb experts .

As long as people were clear of it, best thing to happen to London!

:P

Only 4.5?  London needs an earthquake, but with volume turned up to 11.

If Scotland secedes, there will still be 4 countries in the UK:  England, Wales, Northern Ireland and London.  And that hate filled cesspool of a city keeps the rest of us enslaved while it prospers on the backs of the common man.

Yeah, I hate London with a passion.

Archived