My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Scottish, I live in Kent and I hate London.

"London" doesn't give anybody money, parliament does, they just happen to be in London.

I think they should lift the whole political system out of London, put them all in a high-rise in the middle of nowhere with free food and a buss pass, ban them from having a second house and make the salary 0.

However the reasons I hate London are manifold.

I have a strong dislike of people and there are a lot of them in London.

I have a powerful dislike of a city I can't walk to the countryside from in under a day.

I like driving and riding bikes.  London hates people who do those things.

I prefer go over show - London does not.

I hate the way that it acts like a huge sink hole for all the culture around here.  All the museum exibits and music events are sucked into london like it has some sort of gravity (it does of couse, people) and I have to go there to see them.  I resent that.

I hate that if you are going into London to do one of the above things it becomes a huge missiona nd cost and arm and a leg.  I can go and see the Royal Engineer's museum on foot for nothing and get lunch for under a fiver.  Go into London to see the Imperial War museum and kiss £25 goodbye each for the train, £20 for lunch and spend a day planning all the trains times etc.

Of course it's only 30 miles to the Imperial War museum from here, I could cycle that in 2 hours, tops.  Unless I tried to ride to London.  I'd be killed before I got there.  If I survived I'd come out to discover my bike had been stolen and I'd have to pay the £25 to get the damn train home anyway.

I hate the way is affects everything that happens around here.  I want to go home for the weekend?  It takes me a quarter of my journey time to do the first eighth of the journey because it starts near London.

I am 30 miles away but I live in a garageless terraced house with 2 bedrooms that pre-dates cavity walls yet still cost twice what my parent's semi-detached house with a double garage with a big garden and sea views cost in Dundee.

p.s. Go see the RE museum - It's awesome.  If you are coming, drop me a line I'll take you around it...

I personally look at London like this.

Lovely place to visit, nightmare to stay in. It is just a tourist hotspot like many classic capital cities that have priced themselves so far out of the market that they just become issues unto themselves.

Personally if I had a choice to work in any other city bar London I would take it (except Aberdeen and Dundee) over London as I just wouldn't want the hassle of living or commuting that it would bring.

Also just ordered a copy of the Scottish Referendum that was put out, fancy a bit of a laugh given the contradictory actions I have seen from Salmond so best to have it summed up in a bit of paper. Not going to change my views but always good to see how he and his party plan to split up the 'wants and don't wants' if they get the vote.

'FireKnife'

I live in london I hate it and love it in equal measures .

+ points are higher wages , good transport links , museums , nightlife , multicultural , job availability if you want to work .

Overcrowding , housing prices ( brilliant for investors ) forced immigration , crowding , parking , crime , resentment of rich people , shop prices on goods .

There are many other pros and cons I could mention .

If you are working , housed , and want a lively lifestyle no where can equal london for its diversity .

If you are not working , homeless , london can be a very cold and unsympathetic place to live. ..

Agree with the above. I've been in London for a year and a half now after living out in the sticks and I have times where I love it and times where I just hate it. It is mostly good though although I think to get the most out of it you need to have a fair bit of $$$. Renting in particular is the main issue - you do not get a lot for your money! On the other hand I can pop on the tube for 5 mins to meet a friend, get some drinks in then get on again and I'm back home quite easily. Where I used to live often meeting a friend would involve atleast 30 mins driving + no drinking! Likewise "cultural" things are easy to dip into and quite a lot of stuff is free. I also only have to pace round the neighborhood for 15 mins if I feel like scoring. 15 min on the tube and I can ramble about epping forest so its not like I'm completely trapped in the sprawl either. Like quite alot of people I plan to stay here whilst I'm young (ish) and hopefully settle down somewhere a bit less intense when I am older. Best laid plans and all that...

I have never ever ridden a litrebike anywhere else and felt vulnerable - I did in London.

Never mind that my bike broke down in Soho the first time I went.  The problem was, that it too FOUR BLOODY HOURS for the RAC to get to me, and another hour to get outside the M25 after that.  And then he had to wait because the knobber didn't have a tach disc and his boss had to bring one.

Each time I have ridden into the place, I felt paranoia, fear and hate oozing from the walls.  Despondancy, and despair seemed to rise from the tarmac like black condensation.  I felt that mere eye contact with anyone would have the potential to start a fight.  I'm not a particularly empathic person, but I really felt the sickness of that cesspool creeping through my veins like a disease.

I don't hate a lot, I don't waste such energy on many things, but I hate that city.

Each time I have ridden into the place, I felt paranoia, fear and hate oozing from the walls.  Despondancy, and despair seemed to rise from the tarmac like black condensation.  I felt that mere eye contact with anyone would have the potential to start a fight.  I'm not a particularly empathic person, but I really felt the sickness of that cesspool creeping through my veins like a disease.

I don't hate a lot, I don't waste such energy on many things, but I hate that city.

That about sums up Aberdeen and Dundee for me to be honest. But then I am looking at moving myself soon so will be glad to not have to put up with it much longer.

I know someone will disagree with me but that is my opinion. I personally prefer London to some places but then I have many other parts of the UK I would rather live (like Edinburgh or near some of the better airsoft site areas).

'FireKnife'

I have never ever ridden a litrebike anywhere else and felt vulnerable - I did in London.

Never mind that my bike broke down in Soho the first time I went. The problem was, that it too FOUR BLOODY HOURS for the RAC to get to me, and another hour to get outside the M25 after that. And then he had to wait because the knobber didn't have a tach disc and his boss had to bring one.

Each time I have ridden into the place, I felt paranoia, fear and hate oozing from the walls. Despondancy, and despair seemed to rise from the tarmac like black condensation. I felt that mere eye contact with anyone would have the potential to start a fight. I'm not a particularly empathic person, but I really felt the sickness of that cesspool creeping through my veins like a disease.

The part you were in is just a minuscule part of london . To judge a city from that experience is a bit ridiculous . London has parks , open spaces , riversides , good restaurants ( some world class ) good people , bad people etc .

I hate parts of london myself , same as I hate parts of Cambridge , Manchester. , Peterborough , Birmingham etc . I don't judge a town or city just because I hate certain parts of it . Every place has good and bad sides to it .i have lived in a lot of places in my lifetime . Including villages and towns , city's . London like any busy metropolis changes at different times of the day .

Well, the first time I went, it was with a bunch of cagers for a fuel protest.  We went to the Ace Cafe (partly to try and get some more support but noone was interested) and then through the the streets supposedly towards the end point (I think BBC HQ?).  The cagers were mostly from a Subaru owners club, so they had Imprezas, Foresters and a couple of vans, and one of the van blokes actually offered to put my bike in the back cos he saw how the ****hole car drivers were basically trying to run me off the road.  Then the crankshaft sensor went.  To their very great credit, the Subaru guys were reluctant to leave me alone, but they carried on without me.  I'm not sure which parts of London we drove through but they were all pretty dire.

The second time, I arrived late on Friday night from the M1 and chose to run one of the the inner ring roads (don't ask me which!) to Greenwich just to see the place.  It was a lot quieter and I tried to enjoy the ride, but even then there were more than a fair share of complete moron cagers on the road (including one where I heard him accelerate in his ****-box Brabus to try and deny me a lane change).  There was a pretty cool tunnel under the Thames I rode through.  Coming out, I followed the signs and ended up in a place with a looooooong garden between 2 multi lane roads (Marble Arch?).  Again, the traffic was mercenary and I clocked one *****s mirror with my fist as he tried to cut me up.  

So ok, I admit, most of my experience of London was driving through it, but I did go through the City of London, and all through most of the major areas.  I hated every single one of them.  Except the tunnel, that was cool :P

Edit: The tunnel was Blackwall.

This speak of London transport reminded me that I've ever only been on London's underground a couple of times (mostly because they are usually on strike when I'm over) but out of those it was generally a quick and hassle free journey, that said the one time when it was uber busy it was quite a surreal experience to have another person wearing my clothes along with me...........

If I have to go into London I try to avoid rush hour as I use the tube. One thing I remember was having to go on the underground with my girlfriend when she was 8 months pregnant and the attitudes of people really surprised me. The sort of people who you would see and think wouldn't give up their seat were more than happy to and the Mrs Bucket looking woman who was sat with the other half's bump almost hitting her in the face just turned to face the other way pretending she hadn't seen her, even more after I loudly said "nice to see people have manners making a heavily pregnant woman stand in a crowded train"

Been to London a few times and I can't say I hate the place (city centre mostly). Enjoyed going to wembley in 86' with my grandad (a lot different back then). Last time I went was about 5 years ago and it was for a up, which I enjoyed immensely.

Can echo must people's experiences with city's. My scouse accent has been picked up (when I'm in a pub mostly and not when there is a Liverpool game on) and it has had positive and negative responses. But generally I've had a pleasant time in Birmingham, Newcastle and London.

Rant:- hurt my left hand again. Blooming typical.

Stick with the honey mustard. Never has failed me. 

Nah, my usual is Southwest Chipotle. Had to resort to it today.

But, on to more relevant topics: I overslept thanks to playing Far Cry 3 online until 2 AM, got *suitcasey* Intel drops from the Far Cry 3 mobile app, and the git who bought my flatmate's League of Legends account doesn't want to pay. That and I'm sleepy.

What is really bugging me at the moment is there is not even the slightest hint of a leak of how the TMNT are going to look in the new film.  I've seen the CGI suit pics and raincoat pics but I really want to see what they make them look like.

Archived