My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

That reminds me.

Isn't it odd that if you say something like 'I hate till staff at Asda' someone will say 'hey my mother / father / sister / boyfriend / dog works there / knows someone that works there etc.

However when you call traffic wardens everything under the sun no-one says anything but agreement.

I have a theory, either the biggest shame in a family is to become a traffic warden or they are specially grown in a lab somewhere, given a suit and a machine and set out to ruin lives. People think Terminator is never going to happen, too late it already has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dun-dun-duuuunnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!

'FireKnife'

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However when you call traffic wardens everything under the sun no-one says anything but agreement.

I actually defend traffic wardens when people just abuse them for no good reason; They're just people trying to make a living, and when they're given targets to meet to earn additional money, you can't blame them for waiting for a clock to count down - It's the council/government's fault for rewarding them for being so strict and the like, not the fault of the individual. I feel bad for them for the amount of hate they get - Sure, some of them are jobsworth *albartrotheth*, but that's a tiny minority.

I agree that out and out abuse and violence is just not on towards anyone really but I have yet to encounter a traffic warden that wasn't a jobsworth.

I find they are like Health and Safety executives, it just takes a certain type of person to do such a job and be so smug about it. Sure some do it as they need money but based on personal experience both TWs and HSEs have been nothing but arrogant little minded people that love annoying others. It just seems to be a much, much bigger minority than most jobs which really doesn't help.

But that is just personal opinion based on personal experience. I know some that dislike all police officers and have never had much luck with them but bar the ones in Aberdeen (especially after the golf course fiasco) I have never had an issue with a police officer and found many of them very helpful.

It just seems odd that no-one does defend wardens, even people I know that have family members that work as one don't like doing it :P.

'FireKnife'

The thing is, they have an option whether to be a *Ubar* or not.  I came back to my car after being parked for about 60 seconds on double yellows and the woman had already initiated typing up or whatever on the her machine but I apologized and said I would never park there again (and I never have) and she let me off.  I thanked her and was on my way.  If they were all like that, people would have more respect for them.

As my Fiancee is disabled, I take a very dim view of people parking in Blue Badge spaces without a blue badge. I have found the Traffic Wardens in Derby to be polite and sensible in penalising people who misuse Disabled parking bays, which helps keep them free for the use of those entitled to use them.

I have spoken to several and they have been very polite and friendly - although perhaps that was because I wasn't trying to argue my way out of a ticket. I find that Traffic Wardens tend to encounter a lot of hostility and so are defensive and hard when faced with a situation where they sense a confrontation. It's not unheard of for Traffic wardens to be assaulted by members of the public, so it's perhaps understandable that they react poorly to being confronted by someone angry at getting a ticket.

At the end of the day, if you have parked illegally, you haven't got much cause to complain if you get a ticket. 

At the end of the day, if you have parked illegally, you haven't got much cause to complain if you get a ticket. 

This, a thousand times over. Especially with the fact a lot of traffic wardens are given incentives to print tickets - It's great when a traffic warden does decide to let someone off, but having worked in London, 90% of interactions with traffic wardens go like so;

Traffic warden finds car parked illegally - Looks around for 30 seconds or so in case the driver is still around or returning.

Traffic warden begins doing the ticket thing.

Driver returns, sees traffic warden, opens up with something along the lines of 'Oh come on mate' or 'Oh for *fruitcage*'s sake, I've only been gone 10 seconds' or something similar.

Traffic warden politely explains the driver is parked illegally, why he/she is being ticketed, and why it's too late to do anything about it and how to appeal.

Angry driver launches a tirade of vicious, filthy, personal abuse at Traffic warden.

It's just a simple case of don't park illegally, really. And if the parking rules are *suitcase*, harass the council and whatnot.

See my experience comes from both sides.

When dealing with a ticket I explained my situation and they gave me a very blank and arrogant response. It was due to dropping off someone that was ill and helping them with shopping as I couldn't park in the normal non-yellow lined yet reserved spot due to some gormless knuckle dragger from the football stadium couldn't be bothered to walk the extra 50m. Apparently though even after explaining this with consideration for them and offering to show them the spot where I would have parked but no, they were not interested, gave me nothing but attitude and I just had to take it and say nothing knowing that if I did say something I would be in the wrong. By that standard I have decided never to help anyone near the football ground ever now, saves issues cropping up again really.

While watching them deal with other situations (it happens when you are wandering down the street) I see the same blank and arrogant attitudes coming across even from people that are not trying to be confrontational at all.

Again perhaps it is just that one group in that one area and I am not saying they are all like that but sadly it just seems to be a job that attracts a lot of awful people and it means that those just trying to do their job have to put up with that too. My comment above is that it just seems few people actually stand up for them, even if they have never had to directly deal with them at all.

Just seems odd to me.

It's just a simple case of don't park illegally, really. And if the parking rules are *suitcase*, harass the council and whatnot.

This however raises one other issue. Many people that have had to deal with certain councils know that the council are just going to give them the run around and waste their time (I know my local one would). They therefore take the abuse out on the directest link they have, the warden. It is not the right way to do it but it would help too if councils didn't cause such issues. That however is only for the ones that are genuinely just trying to earn a wage and do their job. The ones that open up the conversation by being the smarmy or stuck up party deserve no respect at all.

'FireKnife'

I have to agree.

I rather be a traffic warden than the kind of tw** who sees double yellows and thinks that means park on the pavement so people have to walk into the road.

On my walk to work there is a parking zone, which is no parking between 2pm -3pm, which is usuallywhen im on my way to work. I have seen many a traffic warden walk away if the person turns up.

When dealing with a ticket I explained my situation and they gave me a very blank and arrogant response.

While watching them deal with other situations (it happens when you are wandering down the street) I see the same blank and arrogant attitudes coming across even from people that are not trying to be confrontational at all.

This however raises one other issue. Many people that have had to deal with certain councils know that the council are just going to give them the run around and waste their time (I know my local one would). They therefore take the abuse out on the directest link they have, the warden. It is not the right way to do it but it would help too if councils didn't cause such issues. That however is only for the ones that are genuinely just trying to earn a wage and do their job. The ones that open up the conversation by being the smarmy or stuck up party deserve no respect at all.

I reckon in quite a lot of areas it's a sort of ongoing cycle - People unfairly abuse traffic wardens, traffic wardens become cynical *albatrosses* and become more and more rude to people, cycle continues. Still, I'm thoroughly in agreement that if a traffic warden is anything other than polite (assuming you are as well), then report them for poor behaviour. 

Generally, it's the council's fault - They encourage wardens to issue tickets at every opportunity, and cause half the parking issues in the first place. Unfortunately it's traffic wardens and drivers who end up dealing with the aftermath, and the council, like you say, very rarely gives a *suitcase*...

Look on the bright side though; At least you don't have to deal with SouthEastern trains.

Maybe if there was some system in place that fined the traffic wardens / councils for wrongly issued tickets things would change . So far this year I have had 10 tickets , 7 of them revoked after appealing for various reasons . Including wrongfull signage , wrong sized bays , failure to wait for the predetermined time before issuing a ticket . For all my time wasted dealing with this I get no compensation. Just wrong !!!

Since having a forward and rear facing dash camera fitted to my van by my firm , we now have photographic evidence to use when it comes to appealing tickets . It also stops the no win no fee crash merchants dead in their tracks ..

Not to be horrible to traffic wardens but is this not perhaps a prime example of replacing a person with a machine when you think about.

If you have pre-set cameras and have the activate them for timed bays etc then you would never have to pay to send someone out there, pay for medical bills / replacement staff should they be injured and with a camera you have nothing to argue against and no way for the argument to be swayed either way (people can't 'convince' a ticket not to be given and the presets lead to no early tickets being given).

I know this sounds horrible but in the long run perhaps it would eleviate some inherent issues and then all you can *badgeress* about is a machine that does such a job. Then if you need a job for the wardens why not train them up and have them fix the cameras / work on checking they are running? Less chance of direct confrontation and less chance of issues arriving. Logical I know but given that it means some job loss perhaps not ethical, plus it would require a start up cost that has to come from somewhere (for up here it would be all that money that the council squanders of silly ideas, sure other councils will be more or less the same).

'FireKnife'

But 3 have been 'legit' parking offences then baddbaz? Naughty boy.

Yeap, have to agree. Would never be a traffic warden as I'd let everyone off (the Peter Venkman of wardens). But, if you're in a blue badge area without having a blue badge, then you deserve the ticket.

The three we lost were turned down on the second apeal due to the poor quality of pictures that we had taken . Only one of them was an actual offence . Which due to the ridiculous parking rules in soho we had no choice but to break . How can you hAve an area where people live and not allow more than 15 minutes on a pay and display bay and have no loading bays or single yellow lines to park on . There is a 3 month wait if you want a parking exemption at a cost of 80 pounds a day .

My attitude is everytime you' cost me money I will stainblock your signs and give everyone free parking untill you fit a new sign . . If its a legit ticket I will take it on the nose .

Knowing how they tender out their parking contracts is what annoys me the most . Nothing to do with freeing up the roads at all . All to do with profit . When they tender out they tell the company's how much income they expect to recieve . With the company being surcharged if they fail to meet the revenue targets . Yet again completely wrong !!

It does come across a bit like teenage angst "You're tearing me apart". I don't see how making the council repair signs, makes a point? Unless you leave a letter, explaining why you have carried out your protest.

Edit:- I'm trying to find the story of a man who was fined for parking by a water main (can't remember the correct name for one) fire hydrant. Can't find it.

So, you can't/won't follow simple parking regulations, so you ignore them, and then get ###### off when the council do their jobs and fine you for it?

Tell me again why this is the councils problem?

When you have to attend a water pipe burst in a block of flats flooding several residents premises and the councils revenue raising rip off parking management have not allowed for such an occurance , the only way to get the job in hand done is to park illegaly or not be able to do the job in hand . Unfortuantly the current system they are enforcing does not allow for emergency call outs to premises in many councils boroughs . Even delivery lorrys get a ticket everytime they get out to make a delivery in soho . Waiting for An exemption in 3 months time is not going to really go down well with residents getting flooded out .

Same with lorrys delivering to supermarkets / shops and businesses , how in gods name are people supposed to do anything when the parking rules are so stupid, the same stupid rules apply if you should break down on a red route or within any of the councils controlled parking zones , the wardens give no leeway and issue tickets . When you try to apeal unless a registered motoring organisation attends the breakdown your apeal will fail . Its just pure unadulterated revenue raising , traffic flow is way down the list of councils prioritys .

If only G&G ran the councils......

....... and got PAS to do the planning and maintenance department.

Anyway no rants here, everything is all good given that after two long years it is only a month or two for me in this over crowded, industry raped, dog turd covered city. :D

'FireKnife'

In our area all the residents fought hard to not have the parking controls enforced on us . 8 30 /11pm Monday to Sunday is not in any of the residents interests . Especialy as the new parking guru has now brought in a scheme limiting the amount of vouchers you can buy for parking per year .to 100 hours Meals on wheels / carers for the elderly started getting parking tickets , not to mention the fact that the elderly infirm cannot buy said vouchers unless they use the Internet , our wonderfull council decided to close all departments / parking shops where people could buy tickets .

So a few residents have started vandalizing / removing parking / bay signs so they can park in their own street and have visitors when they need / wAnt them . Official channels / petitions have had no response as the council likes to behave like an ostrich ..

This is not a busy street or near any train stations etc .

This is purely a way to raise revenue for the council.

If you or others get caught vandalising Council signs, you or they will likely end up in court. Regardless of how justified you may or may not be, such actions are illegal and unacceptable as the court will tell you when issuing a large fine...

So wrongfully issuing parking tickets and letting the council / wardens get away with it with no compensation is acceptable in your books then ?

Unfortuantly getting caught vandalising a parking sign is less likely to hit you financially than being issued a ticket .

Both will cost you a fine or court appearance for non payment .

So which is the lesser evil ?

Archived