My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Bed and a couch are really all I need. So long as the shower and fridge work then all is good as I have my own mini-oven-thing.

Now to actually find a place that isn't an error placed by the local estate agents.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make a chair out of lego.

Ouch, but no as that much Lego would cost about three months rent :P.

Post modern crack den decor?

Just leave the door open for a few days and a trail of Haribo - hopefully someone will drag a mattress in and you're set.

I am moving away from Aberdeen, not staying there ;).

'FireKnife'

Now to actually find a place that isn't an error placed by the local estate agents.

'FireKnife'

Reminds me of the time my letting agent cancel'd all my bills and put my flat on the market. Then didnt tell me when they realised it was the wrong flat. First thing i knew of it was recieveing end of contract bills.

Really hate it when presenters get it wrong. Watching the F1 show and they're talking about the safety messures, that came into effect after Ayrton's and Roland's accident. They mention the HANS device (head and neck support). That (HANS) was introduced in the 00's but the neck protection was introduced in the 95 season. That's why it became harder to get out of the car (due to the extra protection around the drivers head. You see them taking it off at the end of the race). The neck protection surround the drivers shoulders and back of their head it is removable. The HANS device rests on the drivers shoulders and is attached to the helmet (to prevent the head going to far forward) and was pioneered in USA motor sport (if memory serves me right, it was from stock car racing and Indy/Kart racing).

It's lazy presenting and lazy production, which is sloppy, considering the subject matter.

Ugh, don't get me started. 

I was watching a TV show the other week (might have been Arrow?) and the 'tech' mentioned that they had, and I quote "over thirty gigaflops of data to get through."

FLOPS MEASURES SPEED NOT SIZE!

Thats like saying "oh, its ok, we've only got 44 MPH left to go". IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE! AAAAAAAARGH!.

Makes sense.

I also read that apparently George Lucas intentionally had him say the parsec thing to illustrate that Han Solo was full of ######, did not know what he was talking about, and would say anything to rip off a few locals. It showed Han as a scoundrel, exaggerator, and liar.

Family Guy picked up on it in their (hilarious) Star Wars spoof.

Stick shift gear. That was said on the F1 show as well.

George Lucas changes his mind all the time (who shoots first etc), he use to say, that solo was a great pilot and navigator, the only one, who was able to do the Kessel Run in the shortest distance. To be fair, Lucas has also said that he's lazy and not a great story teller.

Stick shift gear. That was said on the F1 show as well.

George Lucas changes his mind all the time (who shoots first etc), he use to say, that solo was a great pilot and navigator, the only one, who was able to do the Kessel Run in the shortest distance. To be fair, Lucas has also said that he's lazy and not a great story teller.

Was the guy american? They tend to use 'stick shift' they way we use 'Manual' (vs automatic).

Also, a lot (A LOT!) of old yank cars had the gear selector on the steering column, nearish to the indicator stalk, which would be a column shift.

It was the bloke who use to do the commentary on radio five live. Who's name escapes me at the moment. I thought he was British?

Edit:- like I said, George Lucas changes his mind all the time (a lot changed from the book/original story when compared to the film). Of course it probably is a load of old balls, but it is fiction after all and open to interpretation.

Edit:- like I said, George Lucas changes his mind all the time (a lot changed from the book/original story when compared to the film). Of course it probably is a load of old balls, but it is fiction after all and open to interpretation.

He probably stuck in a cool spacey sounding word then made up the distance thing after being called out on it.

Seems like the kind of ego driven manoeuvre that Lucas would do.

They retconned it in the expanded universe novels.

Basically the Kessel mines are where a drug is mined in the dark, it activates on contact with light and is then orally ingested.

It turns out the drug is the web of some kind of spider that lives under ground.

Han gets a load of the drug for the huts then sets off to do the run which happens to go past a cluster of black holes.

He is chased by someone and in order to get away he has to go closer to the black holes than anyone has ever done before.

Thereby doing it in a shorter distance than anyone else.

He has to then ditch the drugs because he is about to be boarded the imperials which is why Jabba is after him in the first place.

Lucas is a chopper some of the authors who wrote expanded universe novels are amazing, particularly Zahn.

Han uses the "Kessel Run in under 12 Parsecs" thing to illustrate how fast his ship can go.

The reason he can do this is because the Kessel Run is a perilous route through an area surrounded by Black Holes.

The closer to the black hole you get, the more gravity will pull you into it, so you have to be going faster to 'skim' past safely.

The longer routes are safer because they stay further from the black holes.

Therefore, in order to make the Run less than 12 parsecs long, you have to be going at least a certain speed (persons familiar with the area of space would be able to work out a probable route and speed to make that route safely) and therefore they'd understand his boast - ie his ship is fast enough to make such a dangerously short route safely.

All the EU authors did a better job than Lucas did - they should have got them in to write the prequels AND these new films they're talking about, instead of letting Lucas *fruitcage* up his own work. Anyone who'd watched the original trilogy more than once could have ironed out the continuity errors that the prequels introduced, it wouldn't have taken much....

Han uses the "Kessel Run in under 12 Parsecs" thing to illustrate how fast his ship can go.

The reason he can do this is because the Kessel Run is a perilous route through an area surrounded by Black Holes.

The closer to the black hole you get, the more gravity will pull you into it, so you have to be going faster to 'skim' past safely.

The longer routes are safer because they stay further from the black holes.

Therefore, in order to make the Run less than 12 parsecs long, you have to be going at least a certain speed (persons familiar with the area of space would be able to work out a probable route and speed to make that route safely) and therefore they'd understand his boast - ie his ship is fast enough to make such a dangerously short route safely.

Wouldn't going close to black holes actually expand the ammount of time it would take to get somewhere? My astrophysics isn't great, but wouldn't the black hole's superdense gravity cause the ship to experience Gravitational Time Dilation, Ie, to experience time at a slower rate then those outside the field, meaning that skimming a black hole would not be a shortcut whatsoever.

Wouldn't going close to black holes actually expand the ammount of time it would take to get somewhere? My astrophysics isn't great, but wouldn't the black hole's superdense gravity cause the ship to experience Gravitational Time Dilation, Ie, to experience time at a slower rate then those outside the field, meaning that skimming a black hole would not be a shortcut whatsoever.

Time on the ship going slower wouldn't affect how time much time passed elsewhere. So it might seem to take more or less time on board the Falcon, but objectively, the rest of the universe would still observe the journey to take the time it actually takes.

Are we really having a discussion about observed vs subjective time while piloting a space craft around a black hole, while said craft may or may not be travelling at relativistic speeds?

can we not just accept that Lucas is an idiot that picked a 'space word!', got it wrong, then changed history of his story so that he wasn't wrong?

It would've been better had it been Han bulshitting, tbh.

Archived