My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

The army have a system called the AESP (Army Equipment Support Publication) system.

It is a library of technical documents written so an infantier can understand it that describes how to operate and maintain pretty much anything.

They are coded so each has an 11 digit number, the first 8 are the same for a given piece of equipment and then the last 3 designate which book it is.  201 is operator's manual, 601 for maintenance schedule etc.

Anyone with a brain can use them to find out absolutely anything so what everyone at work does is:

Ring me at home at the weekend to ask me instead of using them.

If they HAD brains, they wouldn't need to ask for help, would they? ;)

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My latest irritation. Loosing my 1911 on Sunday. It's a TM which I've had since the day they were released. To add insult to injury I've just had the dispatch email from WGC for the extended mags I ordered for it last week.

Looks like I'm going to have to get myself some VCRA defense sorted so I can buy a replacement pistol.

A lot of retailers take skirmish diaries you know. The site you play at, ask if they'd vouch for you (which they should do if you're a member), then check the website which you want to buy the 1911 from and give them a ring to discuss valid defences?

I'm not even a member of any sites currently. I play so infrequently at the moment that my last game before Sunday was back in early December.

Sounds a bit like me but I do alright. Some sites refuse it but then that is either because they are so far up their own *albatross* with UKARA and flatly only accept that or because they can't contact the site within 24hrs of me wanting the order (the latter I can understand).

But how did you lose it? Slip out of a holster and down a long drop?

'FireKnife'

Pretty much. I had my VFC light on it and the slide lock fell out so the light had to come off and in the next game I lost the pistol either when I fell or while I was crawling.

Pretty much. I had my VFC light on it and the slide lock fell out so the light had to come off and in the next game I lost the pistol either when I fell or while I was crawling.

Well look on the birght side, at least you still have the light.

However is it gone for good, no chance you could go and look for it or have someone at the site do so for you?

'FireKnife'

Well look on the birght side, at least you still have the light.

However is it gone for good, no chance you could go and look for it or have someone at the site do so for you?

'FireKnife'

I spent a good 20 mins looking at lunch. It's a pistol I've had for 8 years so it's not as devastating a loss as it would have been if I'd lost a new pistol.

I lost it in a fairly well used are of the site too so there's always a chance it may turn up.

At least now I have the opportunity to get a "tactical" 1911 without having to mod an A1. Any upgrade tips FK?

"When I fell" isn't quite the war-y excuse you could have used..

I use "fell" for short hand the actual description would be slipping in the mud and performing a sick forward roll landing back on my feet and carrying on running.

I spent a good 20 mins looking at lunch. It's a pistol I've had for 8 years so it's not as devastating a loss as it would have been if I'd lost a new pistol.

I lost it in a fairly well used are of the site too so there's always a chance it may turn up.

At least now I have the opportunity to get a "tactical" 1911 without having to mod an A1. Any upgrade tips FK?

Well don't give up hope.

As for the tactical 1911 PM me and we will chat about it, save taking up more space here.

'FireKnife'

So: something went disastrously wrong with the TV/internet cables yesterday. I resorted to using my mobile data plan. The repairman is scheduled to come tomorrow evening. And I wish I *fruitcage* knew what exactly went wrong and where, as the bundle of cables stuffed into an old cable well in the staircase doesn't look reassuring.

Got to experience the classic "coworker decides to take off after his indoor shift instead of coming out to help as scheduled with the outside work" at the golf course earlier.  Made no mention to me but was sure to tell the closer (who probably got told that I allowed it).  So, I got to spend 6+ hours in a constant chill, drenched to the bone, cleaning gunk (what I call grass plus mud), due to grounds being mowed,  under the tire wells of 100+ carts (we have only 100, and even though not all went out today, I know I washed at least 30 carts alone 3 times).  The grass stack I swept from the bay (and left due to explanation below) is about 3 feet high.

No one else seems to be able to stomach being outside for too long on such days.  I still had at least an hour more of work I could have done, but no, the closer, who was inside for most of the day, was too impatient and wanted to go home.  Excuse me, but when you have worked at my source of employment for less years than myself, have not experienced the *suitcase* I've gone through, and spend the whole day either on a cart, inside, or making dry comments about my work, you do not deserve to dictate my shift end by virtue of being older and given the role of closer.  You either earn my respect, or be the one signing my paychecks first.

Sigh..., don't even get me started on people being afraid of water on a cart, on a day in which rain is constant.

So a mannequin in a shop window, in New York City, has ribs showing. Having seen the mannequin I can't help but think people are over reacting. When I use to exercise every day (I was in training and needed to be fit) you could see my ribs (I wasn't under weight) and collar bone. I think people don't realise that you can be skinny and be healthy. Sure it might not be an accurate representation of everyone person, but it is not an unhealthy representation also.

So, the cable guy came and fixed the TV and internets. What was wrong?

Some knobjockey broke into the cable box in the stairwell, disconnected my cable and tore off the tag with apartment number from it. Seriously. There's no other way for the screw-locked connector located in a box screwed shut with a proprietary bolt to come loose and lose the tag. Especially if you consider the fact that I pay my bills regularly and would be most probably notified that I'm behind with payments.

Came to the car this morning, found the window put through with a wheel nut wrench, and my work bag nicked.

My own fault for leaving the bag there, which I don't normally do. It's a too, as we live in a really low crime area.

How do I know what tool was used? They left it in the car. Called the cops for a crime number for insurance, they won't send CSI out as there's no blood, even though I can see fresh prints all over the area, and have said tool bagged up.

As for the *fruitcage* insurance company? I can only claim for personal items up to £100, and there was a good bit more than that in my bag - leatherman, torch, a few other bits and bats - and to make that claim it's £100 excess. It's also classed as a full claim as there's no one they can get the money back from, which will jack the premium up next year, even to there is protected no claims discount.

On top of that, it's £60 for the new glass, which they can't fit today, so they just stick temporary plastic on to weatherproof it.

To sum up, I've lost a few hundred quids worth of gear, I can get £100 of that back, but it will cost me £100 to claim for it, and I also have to pay for new glass, which won't get done immediately.

*Ubarflock*. No wonder there are so many uninsured drivers about. Getting caught and fined is far cheaper than doing it properly.

Anyone work in car insurance? I feel this policy is about to get cancelled. Why the *fruitcage* do you pay for fully comp insurance when stuff like this happens.

As for the inevitable 'read the small print', the car is my mums. My dad insured it a few years ago, and just kept renewing each year. He passed away, and my mum did the same, so she has never seen the policy, or had these details read out to her over the phone.

Is it worth a complaint to them, or will I just be pissing in the wind?

Also, can't claim for the time off work for sorting this all out.

I may be wrong, but emergency leave (paid) is two days. You can use it for funerals/hospitals and depending on your employer, situations like this. Now, if you can't get to work due to the emergency the. I'd argue the toss that you can take it paid leave (emergency leave). Maybe ring CAB see what they say, as they can be helpful (helped my parents when they had trouble with the job centre).

Sadly, I doubt even you FK could pull off the impossible.

ollie_ty, well, its hard for me to really have a day without something bad happening.  Like today, I got to play monster hunter on a livestream whilst filling up the songrequest board with Kirby 64 songs, but at the same time, my mother is sick over her multiple interviews for a job she has no desire for but my bigot of a father is forcing her to attempt to apply for simply because his family thinks she is not good enough to share their name (a name associated with bigotry and divorces all around) and he thinks she doesn't work enough/even has a real job, despite the fact that she works more than he does throughout most of their life together.   My father is a bigot who thinks only of his social self and his extended family, never of his own, unless it suits him or he suffers a short reversal during a mental breakdown.  He hides behind a disease that was supposed to have killed him years ago, and makes the rest of us suffer with him.

He is a bit like an amalgam of a lot of politicians.  Really good at the backtracking and changing opinions daily.

Like politicians, we also can't hang him or send him away.

Archived