My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Am I right in thinking, the general concensus (in this thread) is that people with children are idiots? A find that a tad harsh and you should try it the other way round. How about people knocking into your children because they're to busy to look where they are going (child by my side, not screaming and not covered in choclate), the pick didn't even say sorry. Or the woman who barged me out of the way so she could get into the shop, before me (again, holding my child by the hand). If there wasn't a child holding my hand, would they have knocked into me?

Do I have to bite my lip when dealing with these people? Yes. Has it changed my view of people who don't have children? No. But please try and be a bit less 'branding all with the same brush' as it comes across as ignorant and (ironically) childish.

Side note: regarding mother and child parking spaces. I think they are handy but if they were removed, I couldn't careless. As anyone and everyone parks in them anyway.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will add that I have no issue with people that have children in the same way that I have no issue with people that wear tracksuits and buberry caps as they are comfortable.

It is when you add in a poor attitude to go with it that the issue arises and while that is only a very small percentage of people that have said attitude they are the first you notice.

Having children is fine, being a responsible parent is great but assuming that being a parent gives you a right to be more of a *tortilla chip* then the rest of us is just not on (not directed at anyone on here of course, more at the general public).

It is the same with people that assume anything that sets them apart from others (like being too fat due to eating too much) but is nothing special yet gives them a chance to be an *albatross* about it is just not on.

'FireKnife'

It does seem an odd assumption. So it's fine to think all people with children, are idiots? Maybe I should think all people with replica firearms, are terrorists? As that's what people think, or that you're a nutter. The point am trying to make, is that having an opinion of a person, before even talking to them or engaging with them, is wrong. Take everyone as they come and give them the chance to show what they're about.

Wanted to send a file from an Android phone to an iPad.  Pretty basic function you would think but doesn't work.  I look into it and Apple won't allow it.  *fruitcage* pathetic.  I am continually shocked by their practices.  At least people can use facebook on them though eh? :rolleyes:

It does seem an odd assumption. So it's fine to think all people with children, are idiots? Maybe I should think all people with replica firearms, are terrorists? As that's what people think, or that you're a nutter. The point am trying to make, is that having an opinion of a person, before even talking to them or engaging with them, is wrong. Take everyone as they come and give them the chance to show what they're about.

Person with offspring that they are unable to reasonably control in public places, idiot.

Person lacking situational awareness such that they bump/trample small children, also an idiot :)

I think it's fair to say that most if not all of us would work on the principle of 'observe, judge,' (exec-...wait...) but more often that not we're faced with displays of behaivour that become a stereotypical norm.  

I agree, at the end of the day it is the actions that define the person and as such when you see how they behave then you can make a better assumption.

Some people don't really help themselves at the end of the day and sometimes they just happen to be parents and the issue happens to be how they deal with their child. We all have off moments but we apologise for them.

It is the people that think the world owes them a favour that get me and that goes for whatever reason they throw at you.

'FireKnife'

Definitely.

I can quite often be heard muttering about how I hate students, I don't really. I went to uni myself. I've got a decent amount of student friends and the majority of my colleagues are students too. In fact I ranted about them in this very topic, but its not all of them, just a selection who make life miserable.

What I do hate is the Cambridge University (I've never had a real problem with the Anglia Ruskin students) folks coming in, looking down on me because I'm in a customer service job. When they cease conversation when I'm clearing their tables because I'm not good enough to hear what they have to say unless its them ordering from me. Its when they bring in stuff from outside to consume, because why  shouldn't they be allowed? Do they bring a McDonald's into Jamie's Italian?

I also know some lovely students from the University of Cambridge, unfortunately the number of them I meet is outweighed by the seemingly entitled.

As for my current rant, people who think I'm mocking or discriminating against them because I mishear them. My hearing has deteriorated quite substantially so I do mishear things quite often. Unfortunately Irish accents along with thick accents throw me off fairly regularly.

Another one is people getting upset and irate about me asking them for ID. I don't think they appreciate how serious it is if I were to sell to an underage person. I'd lose my job, face a £5,000 fine, the premises would risk losing its license as would the pub manager. I would never work in a pub/bar again. The doorman who may or may not have checked on the door won't face quite as intense prosecution, plus you might've got in some other way. Me calling you sir or ma'am (though some people think I'm calling them mum hah) doesn't mean I think you're of an age to purchase, it is a polite term of acknowledgement, especially if I don't know your name.

Do they bring a McDonald's into Jamie's Italian?

I would but that would be mostly to off Jamie and because the food taste about the same if the last two I went in are anything to go by.

However I see your point on ID'ing and often I find it is only those that are out to get drunk that moan about it. Most people that get asked and then actually just produce ID and take all of 10 seconds about are often the ones that are the majority casual drinkers out seeing friends, not trying to misbehave. Saying that if I ran a bar I would automatically eject anyone that made a fuss about being ID'ed. If you can't handle a simple polite request so that someone doesn't lose there job and can serve you without issue then should you really be given age restricted products in the first place? Sure some doormen I have met could ask a bit nicer but still it is a legal requirement, not something just to annoy you.

'FireKnife'

What bugs me is when door staff are doing blanket IDing.  I was with a group of people and the only person who didn't have ID was about 40.  Clearly not under 18 but they wouldn't let him in without ID.  Utterly mad.

Too many door staff treat their SIA badge as a bullying license.

The club I worked at had a right problem with a particular one who had to be sacked after several reminders that the firm he worked for was subcontracted to keep the place safe, not to pass judgement on the customers.

That is silly.

I've been having a few recently that struck me as odd. There was a lady who was 32 and I asked her for ID, she thought I was joking and continued to order, only to give me a weird look when I wasn't processing it. Maybe she thought I was flirting?

Had someone born in 78 who looked prepubescent. Almost didn't believer the ID was hers.

To be honest would it not be better to just say ID everyone?

I always have my ID on me (driving license) and it takes all of 5 seconds to do.

Yes it is a bit 'nanny state' but if it stops the one time that some that looks 32 but is 17 manages to get a round in then it is better than the person that served them losing their job, facing a hefty fine and being blacklisted from working in bars and retail.

I am sure some states in the US enforce this and it becomes second nature. Like showing a bus ticket to get on a bus rather than assuming as you look old / young enough you might have a OAP / student pass.

'FireKnife'

What bugs me is when door staff are doing blanket IDing. I was with a group of people and the only person who didn't have ID was about 40. Clearly not under 18 but they wouldn't let him in without ID. Utterly mad.

I'd is not alwYs required for just proof of age . Many bars and clubs now have a linked banning scheme . Which won't work without people showing their id . How can you ban someone from every pub / bar in the area / town if you have no way of ascertaining who is who . At the end of the day it is in place to weed out the troublemakers be they 18 or 80 !!

I don't know how it operates in other companies but with mine we log all challenges for ID on the tills, whether they have ID or not.

The reason we log it is so if someone does slip through the net we can show the police that checks are being carried out and it was one who slipped through, enabling someone to avoid prosecution, but only if there are decent records.

For example a few months back a 17 year old got past security on a Saturday night and managed to get wasted (which is something we also should be preventing). Unfortunately his father wasn't pleased in the morning and rang head office. Only 30 odd ID checks were recorded that day, and I submitted about ten of those.

Not great from a bar staff of about 60 throughout a day.

For example a few months back a 17 year old got past security on a Saturday night and managed to get wasted (which is something we also should be preventing). Unfortunately his father wasn't pleased in the morning and rang head office. Only 30 odd ID checks were recorded that day, and I submitted about ten of those.

So the father wanted to blame your company, for his son breaking the law?

That right there, is what's wrong with the world. Had I done that, I'd have had a tanned hide and no mistake.

So the father wanted to blame your company, for his son breaking the law?

That right there, is what's wrong with the world. Had I done that, I'd have had a tanned hide and no mistake.

Exactly what I said to the head of Legal when she came in and informed me what had happened. She took the same view as me but obviously its a serious allegation and the fact our team wasn't conducting appropriate checks put the spotlight on us. Especially if the press got hold of it.

The little brat had gone in fully intending on breaking the law, and then did so. But that couldn't be his fault now, could it? Clearly the people selling him alcohol that night were the big evil people trying to get people to break laws. I never laid eyes on the boy in question, as I work days so I don't know how old he looked. Doesn't excuse the toerag from what he did. Wonder what he'd face for breaking the law, or is it like the sale of RIFs?

lol you guys seriously didn't try and get round ID'ing when you were younger? 

I did.

Succeeded sometimes too.

The point is, it was my fault when I did, and my mother never blamed anyone else for it. 

Rant today is ford.

Nought a focus a couple of weeks ago, which has a dvd player in the roof. Which needs a 4 digit code as the battery has been off at some point.

So far, it's taken 4 phone calls, including 1 to the original dealer, and they can't get it. I now apparently have to bring.the car in so they can take the player out to get the serial code to call head office. They recon that code isn't available without doing that, so 25 minutes drive each way, and 15 minutes or so while they remove the player.

And they,want me to come in on a Saturday morning for that.

Wankers.

Edit, rant two is my phone throwing.random.punctuation around!

Edit 2, see!

Look at it the other way, Smook. Theyve got a customer they want to help, but the car has changed owner several times (im guessing?) and theres no record of the code. The usual tricks arent working so they have to do a manual check and the earliest they can fit you in is saturday.

Not their fault the battery has been removed.

EDITED - wrong person. :D

Tink, I'm guessing you meant me?!

I appreciate that it's a second hand car and they don't have all details of every ford immediately to hand, but surely these things are noted... Somewhere? There is a card in the handbook with a code and a serial number, but the code doesn't work, and they won't try that serial number, they want the player out to check.

I'm just miffed as it will cost me time and money to rectify it, on a car I've only had 2 weeks.

Edit, tink, not think!

Archived