My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

When I was at Uni I knew people that photocopied entire books from the library.  Bloody time consuming but worked out pretty cheap compared to buying them.

Somewhere on this computer I have a 2 GB .pdf from when a friend refused to buy a £60 textbook and spent several hours taking photos of every page...definitely worth it haha

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhere on this computer I have a 2 GB .pdf from when a friend refused to buy a £60 textbook and spent several hours taking photos of every page...definitely worth it haha

I think that is how a lot of people are starting to do it now given high pricing.

Even in things that are not work related. I know someone that has an up to date file of every single Games Workshop book photocopied because he (rightly so) refuses to pay the extertionate prices they charge for a bit of paper, of which you really only need two pages and a handful of rules from, the rest being useless and badly written.

'FireKnife'

'FireKnife'

My phone is shagged. Won't charge properly. It's been funny since I got it, had to plug it in at a certain angle for it to work.

Since a software upgrade, that's no longer an issue, but it's a gamble whether it charges over night now, even when all lights and display says it is. Yet it charges from a vehicle fine...

Odd. Time to request a replacement methinks!

Is it micro USB? Mine's the same. The little tiny sockets just aren't robust enough for the rigours of being a phone charging port and wear out relatively quickly. I really don't get why they didn't choose mini USB as the standard, it's ever so slightly larger but is a way stronger connector, you wouldn't have people going through a charger every couple of months like lots of people I know, and if the female one on the phone goes there's not a lot you can do.

It may have the prongs but that's probably because it needs them to stay in all, every mini I've ever used has been a stiffer fit than the micros. Plus, I'd argue that for a phone charger you don't necessarily want any retention; I'd rather the connector pop out if I accidentally yank the cable (like an Apple laptop). It also doesn't change the fact that micros are so thin they're incredibly flimsy.

You know which plugs were the absolute best?

Came out when you yanked them, impossible to do the wrong way round, never ever wore out....

Old Nokia chargers.

They were the pinnacle of functionality.

The round barrelled jacks? They certainly were strong and user-friendly, I don't recall them coming out particularly easily though.

New Nokias are still nice phones (they'd be pretty great if they weren't stuck with Windows), lack of robustness is just the price we pay for modernisation. We cram so much tech into the same space now that everything has to smaller and thinner and lighter, and therefore sadly less durable.

The classic Nokias are so resistant to damage because they're essentially a lump of plastic; the screen is small and covered by a fairly thick sheet of clear plastic, the buttons have a single flexible membrane over them which prevents dust, dirt and moisture getting in and the chassis itself is thick plastic because there isn't much electronics in there. Contrast to a modern smartphone, they're made of at least one big, thin sheet of glass (two, if it's an iPhone 4) and either very thin plastic (which cracks) or even thinner metal (which dents easily). It's no wonder they break when we drop them. Even new Nokias are comparatively good, last time I checked they had chunky rubberised bumpers on a lot of their phones and relatively thick screen glass.

Yeah, newNokias being stuck with Windows is the reason I didn't bother with one.

Windows mobile systems can be irritating to work with.

'FireKnife'

Especially the way they want to store your phone contacts as email contacts and integrate the whole lot, thereby forcing you to create a separate email account to set as your primary one and use for your phone contacts, and set your actual email address as a secondary one just so it doesn't auto import all your email contacts.

Yes, I had to go through this recently.

Some clients are just complete *albartrotheth*. I've never wanted to stab anyone in the face with a screwdriver quite so much as this captain on here. A month adrift is too long when the company refuses to give you updates, and the captain goes out of his way to make your team's lives harder.

Thank Odin I'm getting off in an hour or so.

If it was GoAGT, it looks like you have perfect timing mate... :(

Is it micro USB? Mine's the same. The little tiny sockets just aren't robust enough for the rigours of being a phone charging port and wear out relatively quickly. I really don't get why they didn't choose mini USB as the standard, it's ever so slightly larger but is a way stronger connector, you wouldn't have people going through a charger every couple of months like lots of people I know, and if the female one on the phone goes there's not a lot you can do.

As much as it pains me to say this (because I hate Apple's nonsense) the new Apple connector is much better.

It doesn't matter though because connectors are the past.

The micro USB on my old Note failed but it doesn't matter because wireless charging is the future and my S4 has it.

No wear on my micro USB connector.

Apples connector and cable are *suitcase* . 3 leads in a year for me , 2 for my missus and we are carefull with them . ! I have now brought the adapter to use the old apple 4 leads with my 5 s phone . 25 quid !!! But cheaper than buying endless 15 pound chipped leads . Built in obsolescence for profit . !!

At least with the iPhone 4 /4s you can buy cheap leads from anywhere . With the new chipped leads ( that the phone rejects when faulty or unlicensed) ) you are limited to apple licensed leads that are sold at a premium price . .

The thing with the Lightning charger from what I gather is the technology is solid but of course Apple *fruitcage* with it to get you to buy replacements.  If they started putting Lightning ends on HTC/Samsung/Sony phones, I'd bet they would be fine.

This will be my last I phone . Integrating the battery into the circuit has made it non replaceable in the future . So when the battery goes the phone is a bin job . As with all the new mac air pads etc .i refuse to pay 12 / 15 pounds a month to subscribe to apples care plan to get a replacement when this happens .

And you didn't think of that before you bought the phone? Hell, iFixit usually has teardowns within days of the things being released. If you wanted user repairable, why the hell did you get an apple?

Noob.

I've never had a micro USB cable/connector fail. Am I super careful or is everyone else hamfisted? (All signs point to no - ask those that know me).

I usually change my phone every two years . Apple phones usually hold their second hand value when you come to sell it on . With the newer phones this will no longer be the case as more and more shops and retailers / public become aware of its in built obsolescence

Was chatting to a top retailer manager who informed me of the arguments going on with retailers wanting the old spec ( non integrated kit ) and apple keep sending the new stuff that no retailer wants to stock .

Was a very interesting hour of conversation as the apple rep was in the shop collecting all the new stock they had packed for return .

Yeah, I should have clarified.

The shape and reversible nature of the lightning connector is brilliant, Apple's shenanigans have ruined it.  Which is what I meant by nonsense.

It's odd, I know that stupid little things that are easy to fix are preventing Apple from releasing a useful phone.

A removable battery and SD card, USB OTG, MHL, wireless charge etc. but they seem to be belligerent towards their customers.

It's almost like they hate and disrespect their customers for being stupid enough to buy their products and are punishing them.

Mind you, Samsung have annoyed a lot of people by releasing the S5 Prime so soon after the S5 and with features people expected from the S5.

Samsung are going down the same route as well with integrated battery's on their products . Its not just apple that have jumped on the rip off wagon

But nobody does rip off, elitism and forced use of inferior support apps like Apple.

I am still amazed people buy them to be honest, yet I am also still amazed people watch TOWIE and all that *suitcase*. Maybe I just expect too much from the gradually dulling human race?

'FireKnife'

Archived