My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Yeah, Sky and BT will do that. Massive ballache when your RM depot is in the next town over. I got Virgin in my current place and they brought it all with them on install day. 

I was quite surprised with Virgin TBH, I had heard some bad stories, but they turned up bang on time, and the engineer phoned when he was 5 minutes out to let us know he was nearly there. All installed quickly, and he was very friendly.

The virgin media product is great, unless you have to speak to them.

Then it sucks donkey wang...

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding virgin. I always ring the local shop (which for me is in Liverpool City Centre), they're always very helpful and to the point.

Rant:- nice one WE, the two piece barrel is a ball ache to get off of the M4 (that lovely small Allen screw is the wrong way round or was intentionally put in so you couldn't remove it). Cue braking out the drill. First world problem right there.

I think I've been lucky with British Gas engineers. Had one come out when the boiler wasn't working and didn't get charged (the igniter had a bit if dust on it and wouldn't light) for the work he carried out. If they touch the boiler, be it to turn it on or open it up to have a look, you get charged.

Even Branstons pickle would be a challenge with beef.

Also this is somewhat a happy and annoying thing. Turns out most of the people I work with and much of the voting majority that will turn out in September are going to go for a 'No' vote.

This makes me happy as 'No' is clearly the intelligent way to go but annoys me as it is another 6 weeks until the vote rather than it being done and out the way so I stop having to listen to all the patriotic arrogance that makes certain Scottish people act like the UK answer to those Deep South American rednecks going on about 'patriotism' and the 'Guv'rment' and want to start up the Confederacy again.

I wish it would just be over, we will be still part of the UK and people would go back to their normal lives, not having to be bombarded with idiotic slogans, stickers and posters with Yes on them defacing everything (seriously, this is really *fruitcage*-ing annoying) and people that sit around and do nothing with their lives going around telling people how they will be 'better off' for whichever side they vote while not having a clue what an actual days work looks like as they are too 'busy' with 'campaigning'.

'FireKnife'

Yes, Beef with pickle. Had one - well half of one - and placed it into the bin. That is never emptied because the army doesn't employ any cleaners.

The Store no longer 'Stores' as well, it orders what you want a month in advance, and only if you're very, very nice to the civilian storesman. And also in the proportions of an actual human.

Woe betide the next guy who accidentally washes all his uniform with a red sock.

Having to deal with the Chinese factory for work is right pissing me off today.

We report an ongoing issue, with an easily implementable solution, and get nothing but lies back from them.

My factory contact even went so far as to say "the wheel catch wears and becomes not accurate fit and the wheel falls off" when we reported that NEW trolleys were having the wheels drop off.

The Store no longer 'Stores' as well, it orders what you want a month in advance, and only if you're very, very nice to the civilian storesman.

Don't get me started. There is a very cheap and easy to break tool we use on jets, you can break them easily, and as such places that use them have hundreds in stores, and always keep ordering them in. Allegedly, the Army took over the tool stores from the RAF and as such cancelled the order and we quickly ran out until a massive stink was raised. I was getting them from mates the other side of the country just so we had some at one point.

Thats what Marcus says. One was shot about five times (Danny IIRC), Axe had a gaping head wound yet still survived, still fought. He apparently went through two pistol magazines between Marcus losing contact with him and the recovery teams finding the body. Murph, Murph walked into a firestorm of rounds to get that phone call off, was hit and dropped his rifle and phone and simply picked them up, thanking the man at the other end.

I can't see him exaggerating these facts too much, considering he wanted to pay homage to his brothers.

If it was rubbish the Navy probably would've pulled the book.

I can't see him exaggerating these facts too much, considering he wanted to pay homage to his brothers.

Considering that things like Bravo Two Zero exist you kind of have to take it all with a pinch of salt I say.

Sure there is every possibility that those things could have happened but seeing as that film is one of five on my 'to watch' list I shall reserve a bit more judgement until then, and really then would have only got the Hollywood depiction.

So long as it isn't like the film 9th Company, according to the film only one man escaped unscathed and they were cut off from supplies due to an uncaring Soviet command. Reality was they had full support, only 2-4 casualites tops and the rest were wounded, either light or heavy but still lived.

Having not been right then and there it is hard to say against it (assuming it isn't too unbelievable) but if you told a story as it was one hundred percent of the time people would be bored. Remember the average person thinks that WW2 is 75% fighting and 25% reminiscing about family back home, while reality would make that more like 5-10% fighting for some at most.

'FireKnife'

There's definitely some key differences in the film, I won't spoil them but I recommend reading the book. It actually peeved me a little bit but Hollywood needs to keep the viewers keen right? Its not just about retelling the account but entertainment. Its a good film, I'll give it that but I'd rather more accuracy personally.

He'd be doing his comrades a great disservice if he was massively exaggerating, given how he talks about the brotherhood and the codes makes me think he's done his best to provide as accurate an account as possible.

I'm on 0530 starts at the moment, I normally get up at 0700.

Not too bad, as the work is there for once, and I'm getting some hours in.

What *fruitcage*s me off though is I get called into the office for my second job tonight, to sort a non-job that hasn't been completed correctly, as I haven't been trained to do it. After an hour, I called supervision, who closed it off after I explained. That could have been done without me wasting 2 hours (inc. travelling to said office). 1 phone call sorted it and the guy I spoke to sorted it immediately. As could the person who emailed me to come and do it originally, without even involving me further. It would have taken 3 seconds of thought and applying logic...

Anyway, I get home around 2100, and son is puking his ring up and screaming since bed time, so vomiting bug for him. He's had it before, it lasts until around 0530. The same 0530 I get up at. He's like clockwork.

Great. I'm mopping up puke, changing bedding, and not had any food since 1145, and wife is flapping as mothers do, thinking its Ebola or something.

Edit, and me being a dumbass rookie means I only have 1 beer left in the house. At least it's cold though.

Edit, and me being a dumbass rookie means I only have 1 beer left in the house. At least it's cold though.

That right there is our issue. Like those moments after a full on gun fight when all the slides have locked back and everyone is dead, only then do you realise that you forgot your victory cigar, it's at home waiting for you.......

Worthless.

'FireKnife'

First phonecall of the day, and it's a customer that feels it appropriate to lay on a heavy guilt trip because their scooter isn't working and they had a coach trip planned and their son was heartbroken and cried for hours.

Never mind the fact that it had a problem 4 months ago with the charger, they sent it in, we replaced it but they didn't bother checking it was working until the morning of the trip. But no, that's my fault.

Lets hope it gets better from here.

Ah those moments were customers immediately assume they are always right just because they heard the phrase 'the customer is always right' once in a shop.

From what I know from experience, the customer is usually an idiot or on the take for free stuff in most generic retail shops when they complain, often resorting to raising their voice and trying to look intimidating.

So glad I now deal with customers via a ticketing system and don't ever call them as then it isn't documented. Much easier to not tell them how truly stupid they are when you have a good 30mins to formulate a written reply first.

'FireKnife'

Archived