My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Project gun did not turn out as well as I had hoped.

Find out that one of the more expensive books for my courses in the fall was returned to the shop because it was damaged in transit, but they will not send it to me anyway (do I really care about book condition?) and thus I get a refund, but the only seller now that that refund could cover fully is someone in the UK, which would probably not get here on time and who knows where it could end up.  Have to buy from another seller at a higher price now.

Then, I decide to check all the other books that have been sitting in my room unopened from the packages, to find several filled with ants.

Also, mother going off on a trip, so I get grumpy pants upstairs to deal with for a few days, and a month of chores for the grandparents next door who are hopping off to Texas.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but the only seller now that that refund could cover fully is someone in the UK, which would probably not get here on time and who knows where it could end up.  Have to buy from another seller at a higher price now.

What sort of time scale are you looking at? I've sent all sorts over to the EW lot and some things have been there at their door in 48 hours.

Robin Williams is dead.

Sad times, man. :( I can't name a single bad film he was in.

Flubber and Patch Adams. One was just bad the other twisted a true life story into a weird mess that made no sense.

Still not good to hear at all. Ruled as suicide by the looks of things :(.

'FireKnife'

Flubber was alright for what it is, which is a kids film. 

Patch Adams I will have to take your word on, I haven't seen all of it.

My other half wants to watch a Robin Williams film tonight now. She says Hook, I'm thinking Good Will Hunting.

We'll probably watch Hook.

Don't care about Robin Williams, suicide is for the weak. Think of all those Iraqis and Palestinians that would rather be alive if you could only ask them, and this rich, soft old *fruitcage* decides he can't deal with whatever nonsense life throws at him so he takes his own life.

Coward.

Don't care about Robin Williams, suicide is for the weak. Think of all those Iraqis and Palestinians that would rather be alive if you could only ask them, and this rich, soft old *fruitcage* decides he can't deal with whatever nonsense life throws at him so he takes his own life.

Coward.

Yeah that's stupid... In anycase Palestine has its fair share of suicides

Yeah, depression isn't a case of being a bit sad.

It can cripple you, you end up in the darkest pit and can't find a way out. I've suffered depression on and off for years but the last has been the worst of my life (fortunately I'm overcoming it but its still there). There were times I was going to kill myself, more than I can count. I was envious of the two buddies I lost in Afghan, wished it had been me instead of either of them. The fact that the suffering would be over was of great comfort to me.

I couldn't do it though, not because I wanted to live but because I didn't want to hurt those I love and care about.

Depression is a serious condition and not everyone pulls through it. Sometimes it feels like no one can help.

Suicide isn't necessarily always as voluntary as it seems.

Changes in mental state can lead people do to thing without thought and when it comes down to it, it gets ruled as suicide as that is what it looks like, but its not always as clear cut as 'I have had enough!'.

Though I might consider a Williams film night, Toys is a good classic.

'FireKnife'

Well I was diagnosed with depression in 2004 and was not allowed to handle a weapon for some time in the army while I underwent a lot of treatment. It's something that affects me all the time and needs a lot of willpower to cover up.

So thanks for all your expert opinions, and I'll continue to despise weakness.

Well I was diagnosed with depression in 2004 and was not allowed to handle a weapon for some time in the army while I underwent a lot of treatment. It's something that affects me all the time and needs a lot of willpower to cover up.

So thanks for all your expert opinions, and I'll continue to despise weakness.

Would of that your experience would have made you sympathetic but apparently not. Your experience won't reflect somebody else's. Its not about weakness - its arrogant to assume that because you worked over it (so far...) that it is only due to "weakness" (a peculiar moral value) that somebody else won't. 

Isn't getting depression in the first place symptomatic of weakness? Or does free will only come into play in some instances?

I would go into the whole 'you're not the only one with issues' thing but that would just end up making it worse so I am just going to leave it. I don't personally have depression (I have other issues) but I have had to see family members go through it and enter some very dark places in thier lives. I am just glad that what I suffer from isn't half as a bad as that.

As said we all deal with it differently and we all have differing opinions on how it is dealt with.

'FireKnife'

Would of that your experience would have made you sympathetic but apparently not. Your experience won't reflect somebody else's. Its not about weakness - its arrogant to assume that because you worked over it (so far...) that it is only due to "weakness" (a peculiar moral value) that somebody else won't. 

Isn't getting depression in the first place symptomatic of weakness? Or does free will only come into play in some instances?

I also have a personality disorder that precludes me from feeling much empathy, hence not being sympathetic (the inside of my head is a great place to be lol)

Exactly, depression is a weakness of the mind via a chemical imbalance, so my coping mechanism is to over compensate, being overtly confident, arrogant and generally lacking in compassion gets me through the day.

It is weakness, and to succumb to it is failure. I never said anyone had to agree with me.

Darkchild

Just wanted to say 'Mork calling, Orson'. *fruitcage* loved that series when I was growing up. Robin Williams was brilliant in 'Insomnia' and a hell of a lot more. It's sad he's died (suicide or accidental death, that's for the family to find out and nothing to do with me. As in, private so I don't need to know), and yes there are far worse things happening in the world, but we always react to people who've given us happy memories in a more personal way. That's not to say we/I/you don't care about people in war torn areas, it doesn't at all.

I think you do have empathy (or compassion) darkchild130, as you made a compassionate post, about people wanting to be alive, when others just (to go by what you said) want to take the cowardly route.

My rant today:- a tinny tiny one. Ran out of bacon. FML. First world problem and all that.

Just thought I'd leave this here

"Mork & Mindy: In Mork We Trust (#1.21)" (1979)

Orson: The report, Mork.

Mork: This week I discovered a terrible disease called loneliness.

Orson: Do many people on Earth suffer from this disease?

Mork: Oh yes sir, and how they suffer. One man I know suffers so much he has to take a medication called bourbon, even that doesn't help very much because then he can hear paint dry.

Orson: Does bed rest help?

Mork: No because I've heard that sleeping alone is part of the problem. You see, Orson, loneliness is a disease of the spirit. People who have it think that no one cares about them.

Orson: Do you have any idea why?

Mork: Yes sir you can count on me. You see, when children are young, they're told not to talk to strangers. When they go to school, they're told not to talk to the person next to them. Finally when they're very old, they're told not to talk to themselves, who's left?

Orson: Are you saying Earthlings make each other lonely?

Mork: No sir I'm saying just the opposite. They make themeslves lonely, they're so busy looking out for number one that there's not enough room for two.

Orson: It's too bad everybody down there can't get together and find a cure.

Mork: Here's the paradox sir because if they did get together, they wouldn't need one.

I think you do have empathy (or compassion) darkchild130, as you made a compassionate post, about people wanting to be alive, when others just (to go by what you said) want to take the cowardly route.

My rant today:- a tinny tiny one. Ran out of bacon. FML. First world problem and all that.

I don't actually care about those people, just using it as an example to demonstrate my disgust. As an atheist, to throw away your very existence is abhorrent to me. Life is the single most important thing we own.

Darkchild

If suicide is for the weak why did samurai warriors practice it as a show of honour !!

I would love to see how many strong people could plunge a sword into themselves and then draw it upwards and to the left and to the right .

Takes a lot of balls !!!

If suicide is for the weak why did samurai warriors practice it as a show of honour !!

I would love to see how many strong people could plunge a sword into themselves and then draw it upwards and to the left and to the right .

Takes a lot of balls !!!

Idiots. It takes idiots.

Archived