My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Meh.  Just abandon your account.  Clone it and continue on with the new one.

Too much to abandon, that's one thing, another one, just as I expected, the shitstorm's a'brewin'. They just *fruitcage*ed with a very vocal, very entitled minority, and that is going to bite into their profit margins so hard they'll be backpedaling real soon. I hate losing, especially to some ignorant *fruitcage*wits. That, and demanding an ID? Over unsecured channels like e-mail? I think that someone traded his brain with a *rickroll*...

What's even more interesting, Google stopped being anal about names in their social media long ago.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have  a couple of friends who  had issues with FB because of their names. One has the surname Gay and the other Money, FB thought they were joke names, Needless to say they weren't impressed.

My order from Friday is still down as processing. :(

Little and ring fingers on my left hand have had pins and needles since my car crash.

This is not good. Doctors appointment booked for Thursday but honestly, I'm bricking it.

Best of luck. Hopefully the fact you can feel something is a good sign, as opposed to it being completely numb.

Had a wisdom tooth cut through, which has left the gum at the back of my mouth swollen and really bloody sore.

Can't open my mouth wide enough to get food in without pain, can't chew on that side without pain.

And due to the fact the pain is making me grind my teeth, I think I've also bust a filling.

Had a wisdom tooth cut through, which has left the gum at the back of my mouth swollen and really bloody sore.

Can't open my mouth wide enough to get food in without pain, can't chew on that side without pain.

And due to the fact the pain is making me grind my teeth, I think I've also bust a filling.

Ouch, doesn't sound good at all.

Girlfriend left him, concern is about the bike.

This is what this thread is all about - focus on the positives ;)

Yep, that is clearly the positive way to look at it. Many more women out there and they are cheaper than bikes (I could draw other comparisons but I will stop there ;)).

As for me had to make a trip to the Post Office, or as I know call it the Mecca of Lunacy and Stupidity.

So now they have a service that allows you to send a parcel yourself via a similar system to self service shopping. This is a great idea bar one or two issues:

1. You always get the person that stands there and looks at it like it is a shiny piece of gold but doesn't actually press any buttons or use the damn machine as they are too stupid to just read the instructions and start using it.

2. In order to get anything that isn't just a standard larger stamp (and this includes proof of postage) you have to have it accepted by a member of staff.

3. There is one member of staff and they are always off ######-ing about with something else, not actually stood there swiping things through as they should be.

4. It seems that using this system is even slower with the average time for a 2nd class item to get to it's recipient being a week rather than the usual 2-3 days.

5. They have picked the worst machine to do the Post and Go system and often it requires 3 tries and a minutes wait for it to progress through all the screens, wasting more and more time.

Couple that with the issues I am still facing with Royal Mail regarding letters not arriving and items being held up it is like they don't want to succed at anything and get pushed out by other companies now.

All in all it just feels to me like a pathetic failure of a system. So glad I don't have to rely on sending letters and parcels on a daily basis or I would go insane.

'FireKnife'

Too much to abandon, that's one thing, another one, just as I expected, the shitstorm's a'brewin'. They just *fruitcage*ed with a very vocal, very entitled minority, and that is going to bite into their profit margins so hard they'll be backpedaling real soon. I hate losing, especially to some ignorant *fruitcage*wits. That, and demanding an ID? Over unsecured channels like e-mail? I think that someone traded his brain with a *rickroll*...

What's even more interesting, Google stopped being anal about names in their social media long ago.

Mike - Read your comment on the page and I believe you're wrong in citing both common law and the supreme court judgement. Both judgements relate to the relationship between government and citizen; not between privately held companies and service user. The first citation is in reference to the legal process of changing one's name, which in the US isn't something you can choose to do instantly like in the UK. It specifically lays out how and when the court within California can deny a name-change request. The second citation - and judgement - once again applies to the voting system specifically.

First Amendment protection doesn't apply here either, due to once again Facebook being a privately held service.

Mike - Read your comment on the page and I believe you're wrong in citing both common law and the supreme court judgement. Both judgements relate to the relationship between government and citizen; not between privately held companies and service user. The first citation is in reference to the legal process of changing one's name, which in the US isn't something you can choose to do instantly like in the UK. It specifically lays out how and when the court within California can deny a name-change request. The second citation - and judgement - once again applies to the voting system specifically.

First Amendment protection doesn't apply here either, due to once again Facebook being a privately held service.

Which doesn't change the fact that nothing gives them the right to ask for my ID in the first place, particularly not over such an unsecure channel that is e-mail.

Also, I've actually checked everything I posted, and the concept of assuming a common law name by usage is legal in California, I even dug up a California Attorney General decision (00-205 from June 9th, 2000) that confirms this. Moreover, the USSC judgement doesn't specifically refer to voting system, but to anonymity/pseudonymity being protected by the First Amendment.

So, privately held service or not, Facebook has to take my name at face value, no ifs, no buts, no papers. If the Californian law allows for the use of common law names, even privately held services cannot infringe on that one.

It worked for some 24 hours until some moronic busybody on Facebook got to the case that was successfully closed in my favor using this exact argument, and locked me out of Facebook again. Seriously, don't those cretins communicate with each other there?

Question: Why does the Californian law matter? Last I knew, you weren't in California. 

Surely by that logic, I can drive at unlimited speeds on the motorways because they can on the Autobahn's in Germania? And surely, I can walk around with some death on my hip (A nice little CZ75 on an IWB would go nicely, and would be a great help dealing with stupid customers on a day to day basis) because I can in Arizona?

Spent a couple of hours close to a heart attack today.

We got a new transfer today, from the pub where the lass I adored works. I was terrified that she would've been told some horrible lies about what had happened between us and would think I was scum.

After a couple of hours of her acting perfectly normal towards me I apologised for being off and decided to explain my reasons. Turns out they never really spoke but she knew this other lass is a bit of a *badgeress*. Turns out she's pregnant with a guy twice her age (so old enough to be her dad, I think one of his kids is like three years younger than her). Didn't really want to find that out, still think about her now and then but by heck it looks like I dodged a bad kind of crazy person.

Question: Why does the Californian law matter? Last I knew, you weren't in California. 

Surely by that logic, I can drive at unlimited speeds on the motorways because they can on the Autobahn's in Germania? And surely, I can walk around with some death on my hip (A nice little CZ75 on an IWB would go nicely, and would be a great help dealing with stupid customers on a day to day basis) because I can in Arizona?

I believe the CA angle is because that is where their HQ is.

Yes, this exact reason. It even says so in the Facebook terms: they do their business in California, must abide by Californian law and any potential lawsuits are to be conducted in the Court for San Mateo County, California. And, if I had to drag my *albatross* to San Mateo County, that would be a lawsuit Facebook could easily lose. I just spent three hours browsing through different cases involving assuming and using names under common law, and what Facebook is trying to pull is, pretty much, bullying the users who don't know their rights or the laws Facebook has to abide by due to where they are established. If I have established a private contract, ie. signed up for a Facebook account, in the name of Michael West, with no intention to defraud (that Facebook would have to prove first), Michael West is, under Californian law, considered my real name and it would be up to Facebook to prove with absolute certainty it's not, and that only after confirming that I have assumed it for a fraudulent purpose.

Well you can't be Michael Weston as he is retired and living in Ireland now :P

First, it's spelled "Westen", second I'm not the guy nor I ever intended to be, third, I came up with the name first, at least a year before the series premiered.

Oh, also if there are any doubts as to why I'm using Californian law as arguments: Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities states clearly that "The laws of the State of California will govern this Statement". So whoops, I think I'm in the right anyway!

Turns out Royal Mail have lost my V5C too.

Also I am just away to check if they have dlivered my letter for my registration to vote on Sept 18th.

For the first issue well I will just have to inform the DVLA and that will be sorted, as for the second one, if it turns out that the letter never reached the electoral office then I am quite sure that I can press some sort of action against Royal Mail (seeing as you have to register by post for the Referendum) and I will make sure I do as being the cause of losing someone a chance to vote surely must be a legal penalty?

EDIT: Just been called back by Fife Council, they have my form for processing so I can vote, yay.

However RM still have lost my V5C, got my Glock 18c that I haven't heard anything about since June 16th, delivered my tax disc to the wrong address due to them losing my V5C and the DVLA sending only to the last registered address (which is luckily my Dad's), twice failed to deliver my old tax renewal form as they don't understand how a letterbox works (again thankfully my Dad opened it and gave me the reference number to check and pay for it online before sending it on in the first place). So I know I say that Royal Mail is a pile of *suitcase* and a waste of time but it isn't like I don't have a solid reason (and this is ignoring the three eBay items they lost, which were only £2-3 each but still had to waste my time and wait 6 weeks for them to process my claim).

'FireKnife'

However RM still have lost my V5C, got my Glock 18c that I haven't heard anything about since June 16th, delivered my tax disc to the wrong address due to them losing my V5C and the DVLA sending only to the last registered address (which is luckily my Dad's), twice failed to deliver my old tax renewal form as they don't understand how a letterbox works (again thankfully my Dad opened it and gave me the reference number to check and pay for it online before sending it on in the first place). So I know I say that Royal Mail is a pile of *suitcase* and a waste of time but it isn't like I don't have a solid reason (and this is ignoring the three eBay items they lost, which were only £2-3 each but still had to waste my time and wait 6 weeks for them to process my claim).

'FireKnife'

Wow, what a toolshop. You're apparently living somewhere where people don't care about the postal service enough to demand quality - over here, it's similar: not even once I had any trouble with the post, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about unpleasant clerks, nosy postmen and general incompetence, especially in smaller towns.

Also, facegoons haven't responded yet. No biggie, I contacted privacyrights.org over their unreasonable demands, murky TOS and disregard for their local law and got in touch with that chick who wrote the article in Liberal America. Sure, spending the greater part of last evening digging through legal cases as old as 1882 made my head spin, but I hate bullies and abusive clause bull*suitcase* (that, by the way, allows some money-grubbing scumbags to hold a part of my savings for ransom, because the local financial watchdog organization apparently failed to spot in time that "products" offered by bank-related "insurance companies" all contained abusive clauses almost copy-pasted across the market).

There are days in my life when I wake up and say to myself: Which butt-hole is going to ruin my day? Today has been one of those days.

I previously mentioned that I had bought a cylinder head and gasket to repair my Aprilia RS50. I mentioned that the cylinder head had arrived and that the gasket was missing. As insurance, I bought a top end gasket kit, just in case the replacement gasket didn't arrive in time. Now, this top end gasket set comprises of three sets of gaskets because there are three different types of cylinder head. The gasket set arrived today. However, there was a problem..........

There were only two gasket sets in the jiffy bag! The one I wanted was MISSING!!!

Winkers (misprint)! I am surrounded by frikkin WINKERS (another misprint)! Just how is it possible to place two separate orders to two different companies and the only thing I wanted from these orders was one piddling gasket that was missing in both instances?

Bring back crucifixion! Nail 'em up. Nail 'em up I say. Nail some sense into these WINKERS (yet another misprint)!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bet that both gaskets turn up in the Post tomorrow.

And the facegoons are, each and every one of them, drooling idiots with no real knowledge of customer service.

They fail to answer the simplest questions, instead providing pre-packaged blather that does not answer my question, makes no sense in regard to my question and all it does is another attempt to stamp their jackboot in my face.

Please, let me find a privacy wonk with an audience large enough who will be interested in this story. He's gonna have a field day with it, I'm sure of that.

Isn't Facebook free? I always find it a bit odd, that when a free service is provided by someone, who people see as being very shandy, said person starts doing things to their product (to make more money) and then people moan? It's free, leave it be if you don't agree with the policies.

As to what 'mike west' is going through, I reckon they'll back down then change their policies. Can't see much else happening. Unless they've tried to cause defamation of character, then you might be able to take them to court. But if it is just they want you to prove that the name you provided is your name, and you don't think how you provide it is very safe, then it's a bit tit for tat. They'll say no, you'll say yes. Or is there more to it, that you can't go into at this point?

Archived