My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, being blown across the ice while driving a car is pretty scary *suitcase* actually...

Yeah was pretty scary *suitcase*.. Never had that before and I doubt I will again.. was strange it was such a heavy 10 mins of snow/hail and then a constant battering of wind and a good flurry of snow. Ahh well! Such is life! 

I swear that wind whilst driving is scarier than anything else, simply because it moves the car in a way that feels unnerving.  Having ice underneath does not help in any way.  I remember several times on the way to campus last year where it felt that I could not control the car steadily even when the roads were okay, simply because the wind was so strong.

Somehow I am up far beyond what I've been for awhile now, contemplating the depths of my insanity.  I can already tell that today whenever I do come to after finally shutting down is just going to be yet another waste of a day.

I was driving down an A road in the middle of night going 60mph - all was well. Went up and over a hill and as I got down I went into rain that came out of nowhere losing all my visibility - as I turned my wipers on and slowed down a gust of wind took me into the other lane! If it wasn't like 1.30am I'd of been hurt, probably.

True story. 

Bloody warehouse monkeys at work need a slap.

They've used all the Swarfega. 

There is regular soap which is more than adequate for the general dust and dirt they get on their hands. But instead, they've used all the god damn Swarfega, so the service engineers have to resort to washing up liquid and sugar to get the grease and oil off our hands.

Pricks.

Should be taken out back and shot.

I swear that wind whilst driving is scarier than anything else, simply because it moves the car in a way that feels unnerving. Having ice underneath does not help in any way. I remember several times on the way to campus last year where it felt that I could not control the car steadily even when the roads were okay, simply because the wind was so strong

You can get medication for wind that is soo bad that it affects your driving !!!!!

Lol

Where to start?

Get up this morning to have a shower, sorted.

Put coffee on before hand, ready when i'm done, brilliant.

Do some porridge in the microwave, yum.

Put my shirts into wash. 

Power goes out.

Look outside - there's three builders, and a mini digger thing with a pneumatic hammer on the end of it. Presumably they're something to do with the spools of purple ducting/conduit which has been disappearing into the ground at various intervals for a few weeks now as they prepare York for fibre broadband.

I pop over to work (the garage next door). Power's off there too. Wander home, bald builder comes over "'as you're power gone aht m8?"

"Yes. The power's out. Was that you?"

"Yeh m8, dat was us, sorry. Well 'ave to call 'lectrickery board 'n get dem to fix it."

"Brillaint. You'll want to be prompt on that, the garage opens in half an hour and it's the launch weekend of the new Fabia. They'll not be pleased."

I get back in my home, brush my teeth, get myself ready and me and the wife go off to church.

I check the Northern Power Grid website, see that there's an outage reported for my postcode (who'd've thunk!?) and that it's estimated to be fixed by 11am.

Check again around half 11, website says no issues. Brilliant. Mrs. Tink has got a lot of planning to do for her university placement, and we're gonna have fish finger sandwiches for lunch.

Get back home after church, manager of the garage comes over - "No power yet, Tink, the idiot builders clipped the water main while they were digging, so they've not been able to repair the wiring, as, y'know, water and electrics, but there's a generator on the way, should be on site between 2 and 4pm."

Grand. Oh well, nip out to KFC for some lunch, and to pick up some things. Get back, lovely warm KFC for lunch. 

Blokes from the electricity arrive, explain they'll connect up the generator and all should be well.

Generator arrives, it's literally the size of a minibus. It's about as loud as a minibus running constantly, parked next to a constantly on air compressor (not a nice quiet screw drive one). 

That'll run until the incompetent ejits fix the power line tomorrow.

I've got be be up at 4 tomorrow morning so I can get to Milton Keynes on time.

I'm legitimately not sure I'll get to sleep tonight. :|

TL;DR: *fruitcage* builders and generators and idiots.

This is why I always (always) have ear plugs with me.  Sound is about the only thing that can stop me sleeping (and extreme cold but I'm not about to carry a gonk bag everywhere) so with my ear plugs I can always sleep.

Actually, if you have ear plugs it is nice to sleep on a generator, the heat and vibration is soothing.

Archived