My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

The best one is the bods who think that because they're infantry, they deserve an extra (or at least a different) medal from everyone else who went on Op Herrick (for example). As if no-one else does foot patrol or takes any risks.

Now, I'm not one to try to belittle the infantry - they're essentially the whole reason the army even exists - but in today's environment of cutbacks, any job that wasn't important wouldn't still be there so if they're still there they must be important.

I pointed this out to one guy in Camp Bastion - it went something like "Do you like being paid, having your leave, getting food and water, and so on? How much of that do you think you'd get if all the people working in Bastion packed up and went home?" The guy must have been a bit above average, as he did at least - grudgingly - admit I had a bit of a point.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HMRC have tried to charge me £145 Import VAT on a ModelWorks M40A3 stock valued at £120 ish.. Marked as $53USD on the packaging.. Not happy, was looking forward to building it tonight! But I've left it with them, no way Im paying that, could have a Fortress M40 stock for that! 

The best one is the bods who think that because they're infantry, they deserve an extra (or at least a different) medal from everyone else who went on Op Herrick (for example). As if no-one else does foot patrol or takes any risks.

Now, I'm not one to try to belittle the infantry - they're essentially the whole reason the army even exists - but in today's environment of cutbacks, any job that wasn't important wouldn't still be there so if they're still there they must be important.

I pointed this out to one guy in Camp Bastion - it went something like "Do you like being paid, having your leave, getting food and water, and so on? How much of that do you think you'd get if all the people working in Bastion packed up and went home?" The guy must have been a bit above average, as he did at least - grudgingly - admit I had a bit of a point.

My time as a contractor was interesting, as I met several Loggies who were good operators, and more than a few infantry who weren't.

Darkchild

I am forced to take christmas off and I am forced to use 5 days of my annual leave allocation to do so.

If I was given the choice I would not.

That is being treated equally, it is not being treated fairly.

Dyslexic people get more time in exams, not equal but fair.

In fact I have to take easter too.

That's a third of my holiday used up to celebrate a fictional nob.

Oh yeah.

I love my job.  I love what I do, where I do it, who I do it with (mostly) and all the perks I get.

There is a free gym, a place for my turbo, I can walk to work, I have flexible working hours, loads of annual leave and excellent welfare facilities.

I just have to take mandatory leave twice a year.

Irritating for an antitheist, not a deal breaker.

Every now and then (like last week) I have to go into London to work or some such and it reminds me how easy I have it.

Right, bedtime.

I'm hungry.  3289 cals out, 2723 in. There's 60g of body fat burned...

I am forced to take christmas off and I am forced to use 5 days of my annual leave allocation to do so.

If I was given the choice I would not.

That is being treated equally, it is not being treated fairly.

Dyslexic people get more time in exams, not equal but fair.

In fact I have to take easter too.

That's a third of my holiday used up to celebrate a fictional nob.

You're being forced to take time off work, not to celebrate Xmas. What you choose to do with your time off is up to you - but if the business is shut down then you can't work.

I can see why it would be annoying - and I don't agree that it should come out of your annual leave allowance, but that's up to the company, I guess.

Sorry, the origin of the May or Spring bank holidays lies with ancient pagan festivals such as Beltane (Gaelic), Walpurgis Night (Germanic), Floralia (Roman), etc. The first of May is also the feast day of St. Joseph the Worker if you're Catholic.

Do you legit have soldiers that can't run?

Yes, we call them Clerks (giggle and flirt with the Sgt Maj to get out of stuff), REME (eternal NAAFI break of the empty mind) and Chefs (self explanatory)

Also wasters who've dodged tours/PT/work for their entire careers.

But also genuine injuries from chaps that have got an ouchy. I know a guy who once had 17 breaks in his lower leg at the same time, surprisingly, he can't run now.

The idea of lowering standards to suit women sickens me.  They should keep up or *fruitcage* off.

I didn't fail anything, ever, in my 11 years service, and I wouldn't want our pedigree diluted by weakness.  It's bad enough as it is these days, since they brought in the AGAI system.

Darkchild

A wise man once said to me "You never, ever want to be that man on the stretcher who slows it down and the casualty dies"

Phys because other people need you to be fit, not because you like to show off. That's a benefit.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTT   ;)

*PFT.

Sorry, the origin of the May or Spring bank holidays lies with ancient pagan festivals such as Beltane (Gaelic), Walpurgis Night (Germanic), Floralia (Roman), etc. The first of May is also the feast day of St. Joseph the Worker if you're Catholic.

You sure? Just asked my wife (Catholic, I was raised Catholic but didn't really pay attention) and she agrees. The holidays came about due to workers unions. I'll try and find a link (interesting if I am wrong, always remember those holidays in school and no-one said anything about them being religious).

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/uk/spring-bank-holiday

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/uk/early-may-bank-holiday

Edit:- The end of may was around the pentecost but was changed. The early bank holiday has been used for workers unions to organise marches. But how these two bank holidays came about isn't clear (whether religious or just holidays at set dates).

Reddit is seriously good.  It's a massive time suck though.  You literally cannot be bored if you can get on there.   So much interesting stuff to read and look at.  I've found the people I have interacted with decent for the most part so it's not full of twats.

Paranoid, I feel for you.  That sucks.  Can you get an avatar though please?

Anything, I just feel like you are a lurking evil presence with that default one and I know you are not that.

Thank you.

Is this any better? Something I bought to cheer myself up. As for the fitness test thing I have always said it should be one flat fitness test regardless of gender. Basically because if I was in i would want to know that if one of the guys in my unit gets hit and goes.down that I can get him and his kit back to base if.needed. I'd want to know I can move him into cover or onto a chopper. I wouldn't want to have othe rs carrying my kit because I can't manage and I would want to be carrying g thw same.gear thw same ammo for the lmg the same amount of breaching gear the same amount of extra rounds for the 40mm. I'd want to know I'm able.to take.my turn carrying the at4 and if I'm in that kind.of.unit, on a long March be able to take the base plate or tripod portion of a heavier weapons system. Basically I wouldn't want to be a liability or not be able to pull my weight by either forcing others to carry more weight or not have gear the team need because I am not capable of carrying the needed kit.

Archived