My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, five years ago they were calling it "barrier blind" "dual purpose" ammo etc etc.  Punches through armour and makes big wounds in people.  When the price and manufacturing costs are the same as current rounds, then it will be a thing.  Until then, A 7.62mm round can take an entire limb off, and as our enemies aren't exactly covered in level 4 armour, that's enough damage I think.

Darkchild

One of my best friend's fiance has been denied access to the country for their wedding.

Unsure if it was Visa or at the border and whether she can appeal or not but damn.

I also apologise if my apostraphe is in the wrong place, awkward because friends is plural but she's only engaged to the one guy. At least I hope.

If she's a female, it's spelt "fiancée". Also "apostrophe" :P

Today's rant - ridiculous English "patriotism" day.

I'm sick of the way this country is so disunited. The USA managed to forge disparate people and States into a single national identity, so why couldn't the UK manage the same? Why are our people so busy being Scottish, English, Welsh or Irish to be British? Why can't we celebrate being British, being united instead of being separate?

Words about putting holes in people

Thanks, all I've been able to find is either armchair general red necks saying they're the best thing since sliced bread or left wing beardy types making out they're going to kill all our children while we sleep

The above point about St George being middle eastern is great to point out to racists who insist on bleating on about him

6.5 grendel is SAAMI now hornady and Wolf make it.

6.8spc is also made

6.5 creed more as well as 280rem are all easily accessible to civi shooters.

Do you think the LSAT project will ever spit out something usable Darkchild? Dropping the weight of a 5.56 round by 60% seems like a great idea as long as the army don't just add that weight back in more to carry.

Do we not need to plan for the future and for situations where level 3 is used in large amounts and prep for dealing with an at least moderately well equipped force? I know our main opponents are lightly equipped milita types at the moment but... isn't it dangerous to assume the next one will be just like this one?

Also is it time to revisit the Hague Convention with what we know about balistically and bullet technology to allow us to use more effective ammunition than Ball as we know now there isn't a real reason for Hollow points being banned.

It is unfortunately more cost effective to play catch up for the war you are currently fighting, rather than try and prepare for a hypothetical one.  We learned that lesson with all the completely useless Challenger tanks we had sitting around doing nothing for the last 13 years of counter insurgency operations.

Something good already has come out of the LSAT trials, the realisation that cased telescoped ammunition is the future.

Darkchild

I meant in terms of something within your service lifetime as a fielded weapon. It is amazing how far it has come and I am fascinated by the idea of the new polymer casings.

There have been a few plastic cased rounds over the years in terms of testbed prototype/research program stuff but are we really close to a real breakthrough and having something issueable?

Will it ever come to civi shooters or is LSAT the point where military and civi the divides for good?

And as for the training and equipment issue yeah you are probably right. We have always at the start of a war been perfectly ready to dominate the last ones battlefield.

The M14 would have been an amazing weapon for WW2 and the sa80 would have been amazing in N.I where allit was urban patrols (not that the sa80 is a bad weapon just it takes allot of lessons from the issues the SLR had in CQB) the challenger isn't designed for COIN as you say.

So now we have a force with loads of gear and protocols that work amazingly well for COIN but what happens when we have to go back to fighting a conventional war.

CBRN is the flavour of the year - instructor courses are booked out beyond belief as every man and his dog moves back to 'contingency' war fighting.

Even C-IED (Counter IED) has been renamed to C-EO (Counter Explosive Ordinance)* as a precursor to ditching the Afghan mindset. (which undoubtedly will bite us in the *albartroth* as we get involved in Africa/Syria)

C-IED - IEDs and vallon use.
C-EO - Mortars, IEDs and unexploded ordinance (blinds)

I meant in terms of something within your service lifetime as a fielded weapon. It is amazing how far it has come and I am fascinated by the idea of the new polymer casings.

There have been a few plastic cased rounds over the years in terms of testbed prototype/research program stuff but are we really close to a real breakthrough and having something issueable?

Will it ever come to civi shooters or is LSAT the point where military and civi the divides for good?

Nope, it has just led to the more widespread use of lightweight 7.62mm platforms (like the titanium GPMG, called the "patrol" GPMG, and the 7.62mm LMG)  Like I said before, innovation boils down to "make it lighter, make it cheaper, give me more of them in a shorter timescale."

The closest thing I have seen to anything coming directly from that trial is the potential adoption of plastic disintegrating link, for weight savings.

Civilian shooting will not entirely separate from Military stuff, but it will take longer to catch up, only because of legalities.  As soon as a military grabs onto an idea, all sorts of sanctions and classifications will come into play to stop others getting hold of it.

I can tell you a secret *whispers* military tech is always years behind  what civilian firms are currently working on.  A civilian shooter will probably be able to get his hands on the next big thing (in some form) before most militaries have even thought about buying it, because they are huge, unwieldy organisations bogged down with incredible amounts of bureaucracy 

What I'm trying to say is the individual bits of gear will be restricted, not the concepts themselves.

Of course this is all moot because I'm english, and that means I can't have a hardpoint mounted minigun RWS in my garden.

Darkchild

I eat it almost everyday for lunch.  I hate it.

Darkchild

I've moved over to couscous with diced pepper, grated carrot and sweetcorn with a little bit of hummus for lunch nearly every day. 

Maybe not the healthiest, but it's tasty, and it's a massive difference from the garbage I used to eat.

I've not had a dirty Rustlers burger at all this year. :P

I want gun turrets. Would make my job far easier.

Someone breaks into a house. Instead of locking them up, I would sweep them up...

And no offence paranoid, but most women are idiots. Just as I'm praising marriage in another thread, my wife does the following;

She's off out tonight. It's 10 minutes walk to town, but I said take her car because of rain and hair done, high heels etc. told her id pick it up in the morning so she can lie in, I'll get up with the child.

Pretty much the whole town is free parking, but the centre is for an hour so I'd have to be in by 0900, no deal when having a weekend morn feeding and playing, so I said park on a back street so I can pick up any time. Explained this 3 times. She said yep, no problem.

I get a phone call when she gets to town, "I've parked in the centre because I'm late, are you ok to pick the car up before it gets a ticket? I'm running late KTHNXBAI".

Good one wife, you've just handed me a boatload of brownie points for my next round of escapades when I'm out on the lash. Quite often the boy doesn't wake up until half 8 or so on the weekend, so I now have to wake him early, feed and dress him, and walk into town before 9, which means he'll be a little *suitcase* for most of the day due to lack of sleep. On my watch, while wifey sleeps off a hangover.

Grr.

Archived