My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

That's a cost thing I'm guessing.

I'd love to do it bit don't have several grand disposable to start up :)

Ding ding ding.

My dad tried to get me into small bore shooting for a while, little 22 rimfires. Was fun enough but as soon as you start looking at getting your own rifle it gets expensive quickly. I'd love yo have a go shooting clays sometime though, never done it before (only the standard scouts compliment of archery and air rifles :()

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ammo prices seem excessive over here.  I appreciate we don't have loads of factories on British soil churning them in the millions like the US does but still.  Surely some massive bulk orders could be made and spread around shops to bring the prices down a bit. 

Ammo prices seem excessive over here. I appreciate we don't have loads of factories on British soil churning them in the millions like the US does but still. Surely some massive bulk orders could be made and spread around shops to bring the prices down a bit.

Why would shops do that though?!!

Tink, go clay birding, it's awesome! I'd go every day if I could :)

Edit, a shotgun can be had for not a lot, and ammo is for pennies in comparison to rifle ammo too.

I can appreciate the cost aspect.

I am finding fullbore pretty expensive on ammo, but rimfire is cheap as chips compared! 6p-ish a shot for .22lr, or 65p-ish a shot for .308. I can have a good few details on Friday night for a tenner at the indoor range.

£250 for a second hand, well looked after 10/22 is less than I have spent on decent AEGs. I could pick up a mosin nagant for about the same price too, and then you are only look at 35p a bang with surplus ammo.

Why would shops do that though?!!

Get more people into the sport that are put off by cost.  More people shooting, more profit, less chance of shooting disappearing into obscurity/hitting a level where it is not profitable to run a shooting related business.

Get more people into the sport that are put off by cost. More people shooting, more profit, less chance of shooting disappearing into obscurity/hitting a level where it is not profitable to run a shooting related business.

I see why they should and agree with you, but most business seems like 'maximum profit now, *badger*s to next week'...

Daft. Not like legit owners would be concealing them in the pub or whatever.

Doubly daft because after a days shoot we would just pile ours in the corner of the snug anyway while we sank a few pints, pockets still full of cartridges...

65p for .308 is actually cheaper than I thought. Do you reload?

What sort of cash would you need for a decent 308, along with ancillaries?

That 65p is for factory ammo. I have a couple hundred homebrew stuff that cost around 50p to put together but could probably be done cheaper. Then there is surplus 7.62 NATO that can be had reasonably cheap too. Not ideal for precision stuff, but if your main goal is to make a load noise and put a hole in the black, it's more than good enough.

I spent £600 on a S/H nicely shooting .308 with scope, mount and rings all in from a guy at the club. There are quite a few cheaper options (there is a CZ550 with mag and bipod for £400 on gunstar at the moment), but just as much quite a few more expensive options too! You will always get what you pay for, but there are bargains to be had if you look around, and forums provide a wealth of knowledge for cheap and easy improvements to almost any rifle.

My next buy is going to be a WW2 rifle of some description, probably a mosin nagant because I've always wanted one. Might take a bit of cleaning, but I can pick one up and my full 7.62x54r allowance on my ticket for less than £400.

How's this for some work related .

I check item A for company A to make sure it's safe for company B.  Whilst testing, it fails catastrophically due it being poorly installed, utterly destroying item B with me just about avoiding injury. Company A want to find me partially responsible for the damage...Completely ignoring the fact if it wasn't tested by me, it would have failed when company B used it, perhaps not avoiding injury and opening company A up to a lawsuit.  I told them to get *fruitcage*ed.

Nope.  You buy everything you need to make ammo.  You're just not allowed to use it to put together a complete round.  I was going to buy some manual loaders and components to knock up a few inert rounds but I've gotten around to it.  You can get them on Amazon.co.uk

Reloading is perfectly legal as long as you have the slot on your ticket for whatever it is you make and how much you make. It's considered the best way to achieve greater accuracy for competition, at least, and once you have all the kit then it is a lot cheaper than factory! It's also one of the ways people can use some of the larger pistol calibres indoors, by downloading the cartridge so it is under the limits for the range.

Sadly, it costs a fortune to actually get set up and is another hobby in itself. It's handy to have someone in your club that has all the kit and knowledge, and will let you use both.

Thanks guys for clearing that one up for me

What's me off today is the attention seeking parasite Katie Hopkins. I know she makes a living by making controversial statements that get people's backs up, but taking the out of a 9 year old child for having learning disabilities is *fruitcage* out of order

Archived