My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been on but not commented much. Was one of my dads good mates, I saw him that day too.

Absolutely tragic, not sure what happened waiting to hear on news of Andy first before any proper investigating can start. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to change air shows permanently but that's to be expected given the state of things!

Yeah the show was cancelled here too. Not sure what happened there's speculation it was a stall also or he just didn't have enough run in speed and height. No one is sure though, doesn't look like he stalled from the video.

Fingers crossed he comes through it though, give us some understanding of it. Gonna be a tough journey for him though, he's got a lot to take in.

I'm having the old Airsofter/Walt debate in a secret group on Facebook (one for ex Royal Green Jackets) again.  Pictures have surfaced of an Airsofter (who's dad was a Jacket) who wears his old man's beret when skirmishing, and is a member of several Green Jacket groups.

My former comrades are screaming about "exposing" him and how disgusting it is that he is pretending to be one of us, and I'm trying to explain to these people that he is not claiming to be a soldier, merely playing a role in a game.

In a way it is a form of flattery, as this guy clearly thinks my regiment are cool, but these dudes want him crucified because he hasn't "earnt the right" to wear the beret.

It makes me despair, because it's only the old sweats (cold war era guys) who have a problem with it.  The ones that were based in Germany and did *fruitcage* all war fighting, where my generation actually fought, a lot.

If anyone should have a problem with it it's my peer group, but we don't care.

Why can't people get over themselves?

Darkchild

I'm having the old Airsofter/Walt debate in a secret group on Facebook (one for ex Royal Green Jackets) again. Pictures have surfaced of an Airsofter (who's dad was a Jacket) who wears his old man's beret when skirmishing, and is a member of several Green Jacket groups.

My former comrades are screaming about "exposing" him and how disgusting it is that he is pretending to be one of us, and I'm trying to explain to these people that he is not claiming to be a soldier, merely playing a role in a game.

In a way it is a form of flattery, as this guy clearly thinks my regiment are cool, but these dudes want him crucified because he hasn't "earnt the right" to wear the beret.

It makes me despair, because it's only the old sweats (cold war era guys) who have a problem with it. The ones that were based in Germany and did *fruitcage* all war fighting, where my generation actually fought, a lot.

Darkchild

Show him the video of Chris Costa in Japan. As long as the guy is not trying to steal valor I dont see an issue.

We have this problem a lot in the states, you can see thousands of videos on YouTube on stollen valor.

I'm having the old Airsofter/Walt debate in a secret group on Facebook (one for ex Royal Green Jackets) again. Pictures have surfaced of an Airsofter (who's dad was a Jacket) who wears his old man's beret when skirmishing, and is a member of several Green Jacket groups.

It makes me despair, because it's only the old sweats (cold war era guys) who have a problem with it. The ones that were based in Germany and did *fruitcage* all war fighting, where my generation actually fought, a lot.

Darkchild

Always liked that line in full metal jacket 'in the rear with the gear', that can some up some people's experience of military service. For those who actually had to fight (not just train, which is differcult) they tend to be a bit more grounded (mates of mine and also mates of the family).

When I was younger, I was allowed to wear my granddads hat from his time as a royal engineer in Africa (building bridges then blowing them up). I loved wearing it and playing soldier. People would pretend I was a soldier and salute me etc (mostly old blokes to be honest). Those people knew it was pretend because I was a child. But some people think make believe and acting/pretending are not manly pursuits, and that such things should be left to when you're a child. Some people also only know one way to get their point across.

I say *fruitcage* it. If people like to dress up and pretend, that's fine. Make believe can relieve stress and can be a laugh.

Haters look for any reason to hate. As that's all they know.

I was four and the idea of being a playboy wouldn't have entered my head.

But something tells me you mean what Darkchild was talking about. . .

I always pretend I'm MacCreedy from 'The thing', just need a shack to drink and play chess in.

I don't take offence if you don't want to play as a soldier.  I do take offence if you spell SOLDIER wrong, however.

These silly *fruitcage*ers are beginning to me off now, I might just leave the group, I have no time for armchair warriors and their bloated sense of false pride.

I don't care if they're from my unit.

Darkchild

Archived