My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rarely rage in work.

I didn't have to this morning as female lieutenant (hereby referred to as 'The Valkyrie') has done the force choke gripping soldiers, a role normally reserved for senior NCOs.

There are few times of the year when non-uniform items may be worn; St David's day and leeks for example, however one is quite prominant amongst the military - the poppy.

The Valkyrie spotted not one, but four soldiers (in different places and not as a group) who have chinned orders off and not bothered to get a poppy. It happens every year, wear one./rant 

We had a guy who refused to wear one.

They made him wear his #2s and dig a 4 man battle trench then sleep in the bottom of it with just a wool blanket for a week.

I believe he signed off some time later.

As much as I am all for the remembering of the military forces and what they fought for, I don't want some gormless, spotty *Ubar* that I wouldn't trust with a rubber band, never mind the conrtols to a gatling cannon, shoving a bit of red paper and green / black plastic in my face and demanding 'at least a £1' for it.

I will honour in my own way, same as I will give to the charities I want to give, the rest, go pester someone else.

'FireKnife'

As much as I am all for the remembering of the military forces and what they fought for, I don't want some gormless, spotty *Ubar* that I wouldn't trust with a rubber band, never mind the conrtols to a gatling cannon, shoving a bit of red paper and green / black plastic in my face and demanding 'at least a £1' for it.

I will honour in my own way, same as I will give to the charities I want to give, the rest, go pester someone else.

'FireKnife'

I don't know where you are, mate, but that's not how RBL poppy collectors are supposed to behave.

There is NO MINIMUM DONATION for a paper poppy and only "suggested donations" for the other stuff like wristbands, pin badges, etc. The collectors are not SELLING poppies, they are giving them in exchange for donations.

Poppy appeal collectors should not be "pestering" anyone, nor should they be "demanding" anything.

If you want to give me your location, I will give you the details of the local Branch running the appeal in that area and you can complain about the behavior of poppy collectors if you have a genuine grievance.

There is no excuse for poppy collectors to behave in the manner you describe.

Twas last couple of years while visiting the Newcastle area.

However my point is really one of general charity attitudes that they expect that people have to give for their cause.

Using my salary as a basis if I gave £1 to every single charity that is in the local or national area I would have about £1 left for myself a month.

Charity is a great thing, but some people just hard sell and take the cake, just this case it happened to relate to the above posts :D.

'FireKnife'

There are over a thousand (at least) registered charities. So unless you earn £1001 after tax etc, you'll be in debt every week if you gave a pound to every one.

Never been hassled by people giving out a poppy. Been hassled by green peace sellers and nspcc sellers. As I've said before, if they don't stop asking after you've asked nicely (but it's only £5 a week, sir. You could just have one less drink. . . ), then I think it's within reason to say 'go away'.

Having done charity work, I can speak for both sides of the charity coin (collecting and also being asked for donation).

I won't give to chuggers in the street.  I won't stop to talk.  No need to be rude.  A simple 'Sorry.  Can't stop' is sufficient.  Any charity I organize is on my own terms and generally online as I'm lazy ha.

Sadly, the Legion is hiring more and more of these "professional charity workers" and listening less and less to what the Membership want. Since the Legion is one of the few charities which is (supposedly) run by Members, this is not a good thing.

Yes, the Legion needs to modernise its image, but it needs to do it without losing its roots.

Fireknife - If you call the national helpline on 08088 028080 (it's free from landlines and most mobiles, open 8-8 seven days a week) they will either give you the details of your local Poppy Appeal Organiser or pass your feedback along, as you choose.

Newcastle is a big place, so I'm not really sure what branch would cover the exact area you're in. You could try Newcastle Central or Newcastle West, but the helpline is probably your best option.

Just finished Archer Season 6... what do I do now?

Other shows! TV is truly in a golden era at the moment, especially for adult-oriented cartoons. I recommend Rick and Morty if you've never seen it. Hilariously imaginative and ambitious show, intelligent fast paced humour. 10/10/10

Edit: a primer: 

Its to remember all lost in conflict. Its not specifically aimed at the First World War but that is what kick started the movement.

Conflict is a part of nature unfortunately. And with ever dwindling resources its probably going to get a lot worse than it currently is, we might see actual wars instead of insurgencies, organised militaries fighting each other. Which is why we need to be working on renewable resources but we can't synthesise metals etc.

There are times when diplomacy fails and that is when we turn to our soldiers. You think we'd be better off if we didn't have a military?

Archived