My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another year, another remembrance and more of my mates that "survived" our wars have killed themselves.

I don't mellow as I get older, I get more angry.

There's a reason my prayer for remembrance day is for 'lord take into your hands, those who didn't come home and those who haven't all come home. Those who were lost there and those who lost a little of themselves there'

Not trying to be pious or offer platitudes just god I look at mates who have been places and wish I could help them more than I do, a dear friend has PTSD connected to his head injury, peacetime service but during a time when he was being told he had a 15m life expectancy when the balloon went up.

I really wish that one or two of my friends had reached out or I had seen that they were struggling....

Do you think the infantry culture of being strong and tough means that people don't ask for help? Do you think the forces are doing enough?

I know a couple of friends were it seems almost more stressed about what would happen to them career wise if they asked for help than by the problems that made them depressed. Turning to drink to self medicate rather than talking to someone because they don't want the work hassle.

I dunno it just feels like we are failing the people who really need us as a nation after they stepped up and did what they do.

I try to donate time and funds to the RBL and to the RAF charity (dad was raf so....)

when mates come back off tour I try not to ask them about it unless they open up and even then I ask about the funny stuff they saw, the good memories they have and if ANYONE asks bloody stupid questions like 'did you... how many or did you see anyone get' I take them over the coals for it.

Sorry if any of this is prying or makes you uncomfortable just I hate feeling powerless and unable to help mates who I can see are struggling.

You're in my thoughts and if you need anything send a pm yeah?.

People talking through the silence or carrying on doing something like fiddling with a speedloader or shifting kit just annoys me it's like you are really too busy to take a minute of your time to think about something beyond yourself.... you inconsiderate or self centred *albartroth*.

Thankfully I haven't dealt with any of the white poppy anti war or anti military brigade this year. A few years ago a group wrote letters to the uni paper complaining and protesting the 2 minute silence and trying to disrupt it by conspicuous and deliberately ignoring it.

I get that they disagreed with the conflict, I get that they have the right to protest it and to court publicity to raise awareness of the cause but.... time and a place tbh.

Why do people have to be so incompetent?! They ignore deadlines, they don't make plans, they don't seem to care at all!

Not only my coworkers, who can't deliver documents on time despite the 7-day deadline being written into the *fruitcage* procedure. Also, apparently everyone already got their copy of Fallout 4, with the exception of Komputronik, who apparently are too dumb to realize that people want to buy that game, and preferably on the release day since the next day over is a *fruitcage* NATIONAL HOLIDAY. FFS... Is it really so hard to dispatch the shipments a day early, since the physical discs are ready since two weeks and have already been distributed to pretty much every store chain in the goddamned country? That crosses the line from incompetence to outright idiocy.

So this happened:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34775466?SThisFB

Would appear ex soldiers are fair game but everyone else gets a pardon. Good old ethics of government. *fruitcage* the people who serve you, and suck off the people who try to kill you.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Nowhere in that article does it say people have been arrested. Loads of investigations have been carried out and no arrests made. This is about an actual arrest, not investigation. Also, there was another soldier arrested too (separate to the fore mentioned arrest), I'll find the link.

Edit:- forgot to say earlier. The point I was making, was that people who have been given a pardon, committed terrible things. The whole point was to draw a line in the sand and go 'thats it. New chapter'. But that's obviously not the case.

My views on bloody Sunday generally upset people.... I'm cynical and believe the shots fired claims by the army are plausible and the fact that weapons weren't found in the ime date aftermath doesn't mean they weren't present at the kickoff and the idea of the ira causing a kickoff in order to manufacture an atrocity for the purpose of propaganda much like Hamas do by using hospitals to launch rockets from wouldn't nessecarily shock me.

I also understand that in any incident like that elements of both sides stories will probably contain kernels of truth and it's rarely going to be completely black and white where ALL THE blame dumped on one groups doorstep.

However being AT an attempted IRA bombing just because I was and am a child of a member of the British military and attended a school next to the base colours my opinion slightly..

Logh riamh riamh dearmad a *fruitcage* an IRA

They lost ALL moral high ground when they started killing women and children, I could accept the Dublin uprising of 1916 because even if I disagree politically i can understand the arguements appeal and the argument that it was time for revolution and social change. Much as I understand the motivation of the Founding Fathers to incite rebellion or the forces fighting to prevent Franco from taking power in Spain.

but Killing women and children, bombing nurseries, throwing bricks at children walking to school because they are the 'wrong' denomination and murdering a boy for holding hands with a girl of the 'wrong' faith means that you are an EVIL that good men should condemn.

There is NO difference to my mind between the IRA or the loyalist paramilitary groups and ISIS, Terrorism because some people believe in a different skywizard than you do.

Investigating it now is purely and simply a witch hunt and the bastards that use bloody Sunday as a clarion call and propaganda tool won't ever let it rest even if the British government hanged every last member of the para's and the Queen kissed Adam's *albartroth* on the Palace balcony.

We have have had known SITTING members of the IRA'S Operational Council with a vote in the British parliament so any sort of claim that this is 'justice' rings hollow to me. Justice would have had that *bramston pickle* in a dark cell spilling his guts to the security services but he was allowed to do his thing because an arrest would 'destabilize' the peace talks.

I'd accept this investigation if the government went just as deep just as hard Into investigating the bombings, the senior command structure of an ILLEGAL terrorist organisation and other crimes committed but that won't happen because this isn't about justice it's about the feels and if a few pawns need to be sacrificed on the altar of public opinion to get some sort of deal then our political masters Will happily do so.

It can't be racial discrimination (for obvious reasons), could be xenophobic discrimination but not racial (you can't discriminate your own race):-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34809758

He didn't press charges after the incident (told police he didn't want to), you'd think that would go against him.

Basically, my gripe is this. It's an insult to people who are racially discriminated. It's wrong to be called names based on where you were born, yes. But this is xenophobic behaviour (like saying you don't like people from a certain country in Europe, when you yourself are from Europe).

Though, I would imagine, I bet this won't get any where. Doesn't press charges, so that will go against him (had a mate who tried to claim damages after being attacked, but because he didn't press charges against the assailant it was thrown out). The BBC have a wide range of employees, so unless a letter is in existence, of the beeb saying xenophobic nasty stuff, I can't see him winning that either.

Maybe he'd get a pay out for being put in a dangerous environment?

There's a reason my prayer for remembrance day is for 'lord take into your hands, those who didn't come home and those who haven't all come home. Those who were lost there and those who lost a little of themselves there'

I appreciate the sentiment (genuinely) but I'm not religious, so prayers don't really mean anything to me.

I think the Army just needs to sort out after care for blokes with PTSD, instead of turning their backs on them as soon as they leave.

Unfortunately it's a condition that is easy to hide from people...

I suppose the problem solves itself once everybody is dead.

Darkchild

I think some lessons will be learnt from last night.  When these people take hostages, they are not interested in negotiating they just want to kill.  Hopefully the security services will update their procedures to storm as soon as possible in the future.

Had some pillock at work joke about his breakfast possibly being a bomb this morning. Told him to get out. Pub manager looked over at me and to be honest expected a *badger*ing but she just nodded.

Had a member of staff call in and say she was terrified to leave her house, let alone come to work, yet she was spotted in town shopping and smiling as if nothing was wrong an hour later. So in my mind it looks like she was using it as an excuse, but knowing stress works in funny ways I can't really confront her about it. If she did use it as an excuse for a day off I'm *fruitcage* disgusted.

Archived