My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Ah.  If it's leased then it's not your problem heh. Yeah.  It shoots a bit of diesel into the engine oil when it regens.  Too many regens and you have *suitcasey* diesely engine oil that needs a change.

No.

I'm trying to understand the logic, or process of this, and wondering why we've had no oilway diesel injectors come up in warranty claims (protip: it's because they don't exist) and I literally cannot understand how that would help anything.

I'm really sorry if i'm sounding like a *bramston pickle* about this, but this is something I actually know about, and I'm sure you can understand how irritating it is when other people are wrong on the internet.

engine oils in diesel vehicles get sooty/black quicker than petrol cars because diesels dont have spark plugs. They work by making physics their *badgeress* and forcing the diesel/air mixture to compress so much they get so hot and explode all by themselves.

As such, diesel have much higher (much much much higher) operating pressures/compression ratios than petrols.

The average petrol car will run at betweet 10:1 and 13:1, lower for 'boosted' engines, higher for high performance sports cars.

Diesels run on average between 18:1 and 22:1, so almost twice as much compression as petrols.

As such, it's inevitable than when the fuel/air goes boom, some of it (parts per million) slip past the piston rings into the oilways/sump.

this is what makes your oil black.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10,000 miles / 12 months is, in my opinion, the ideal interval between oil changes in the UK for probably 90% of the cars on the road.

Annual servicing is part of the lease contract.

There isn't any hard proof that diesels cause cancer.

There's not that much proof about most things. Although, basically *EVERYTHING* causes cancer...

What mileage journeys do you do, on average?

Probably sub 10 miles, mostly - as the wife is ill we don't get out much. :(

I rarely even exceed the speed limit now - getting old and more worried about fuel economy and avoiding tickets than seeing how fast it'll go...

We're going up to Liverpool soon though, as got a new niece/nephew due any day now, so that'll blast the out of the system. As long as there aren't too many traffic jams on the M6...

Probably sub 10 miles, mostly - as the wife is ill we don't get out much. :(

I rarely even exceed the speed limit now - getting old and more worried about fuel economy and avoiding tickets than seeing how fast it'll go...

We're going up to Liverpool soon though, as got a new niece/nephew due any day now, so that'll blast the ###### out of the system. As long as there aren't too many traffic jams on the M6...

Then I'm really sorry, but you shouldn't have gotten a diesel.

Is it motability? might be worth trying to see if you can swap it out for a petrol. 

I'm really sorry if i'm sounding like a *bramston pickle* about this, but this is something I actually know about, and I'm sure you can understand how irritating it is when other people are wrong on the internet.

someone-is-wrong.jpg

Then I'm really sorry, but you shouldn't have gotten a diesel.

I suspect I still had my "drive a lot for work" head on.

Is it motability? might be worth trying to see if you can swap it out for a petrol.

I don't know if you can do that. I might look into it.

It's quite a nice comfy car though, still I'm sure it comes in petrol too.

10,000 miles / 12 months is, in my opinion, the ideal interval between oil changes in the UK for probably 90% of the cars on the road.

There isn't any hard proof that diesels cause cancer.

They certainly dont not cause cancer, and some of the emissions definately aren't great for you, but you've probably got the same 'risk' as walking through some smokers outside the pub on the way in, and breathing in a few lung fulls of their coffin-nails.

Yeah.  10K/12 months is a solid guide.  I cringe when I see BMWs CBS schedule and the massive gaps they they allow for.  Goodness knows what it does to the engine.

I don't know, diesel is a group one carcinogen.  The WHO don't seem to be mincing their words.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/06june/Pages/who-classes-diesel-vehicle-exhaust-fumes-as-carcinogen.aspx

No.

I'm trying to understand the logic, or process of this, and wondering why we've had no oilway diesel injectors come up in warranty claims (protip: it's because they don't exist) and I literally cannot understand how that would help anything.

I'm really sorry if i'm sounding like a *bramston pickle* about this, but this is something I actually know about, and I'm sure you can understand how irritating it is when other people are wrong on the internet.

engine oils in diesel vehicles get sooty/black quicker than petrol cars because diesels dont have spark plugs. They work by making physics their *badgeress* and forcing the diesel/air mixture to compress so much they get so hot and explode all by themselves.

As such, diesel have much higher (much much much higher) operating pressures/compression ratios than petrols.

The average petrol car will run at betweet 10:1 and 13:1, lower for 'boosted' engines, higher for high performance sports cars.

Diesels run on average between 18:1 and 22:1, so almost twice as much compression as petrols.

As such, it's inevitable than when the fuel/air goes boom, some of it (parts per million) slip past the piston rings into the oilways/sump.

Sorry, I didn't fully explain.  When I say injected, I should have said leaked or something.  I.e. there is no engineered system in place to do it, just that it happens.  Injected seemed to fit as it's just the way I imagine it, i.e. squeezed through or whatever.  When it's doing an active cycle and there is more fuel supplied to raise the temp. I hope that makes more sense heh.

I believe oil contamination is a particular problem for Jags from what I gather.

Eg.  http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/diesel-variants-all-models-52/dpf-engine-oil-level-87197/

See.  I'm not a buffoon ha ha.

Cars running on diesel are a stupid idea.

I like Tink's fun road driving idea.  I'll incorporate that.

Cars are either for fun or not.  Ones that are not will be electric eventually and in the interim we will look into E85 to replace diesel.

Cars that are fun are petrol or E85 anyway.

Nobody needs a car more capable than an E30 BMW estate.

If you have loads of children then that is your (stupid - IMO) choice but if you can afford a billion kids you can afford the punitive tax on antisocially large cars.

Seriously, think of all the big cars you see on the road - Q anything,  BMW X anything *Cruiser, *Rover, *Lander and the others.

They are pointless.

Most of the time you only see one person in them.

Anyway, the thing about not living somewhere where people can park outside my house?

Did it.

I live adjacent to a set of white zig-zags, it is literally illegal to park outside my house.

Guy does it anyway.  He knows the council only check during office hours.

Ball%20bag%202_zpseaqicf4j.jpg

Ball%20bag%201_zps71mzu24x.jpg

If the council know about him I'm surprised they don't send a guy around after office hours randomly to get him.  Surprising a council is not taking every money grabbing opportunity it can.

I'm not that subtle.

I would slide a drip tray full of petrol under his car and light her up.

I spoke to the (lovely) lady from the council and she says they cannot accept pictures.

She also says they are not authorised to use the overtime to do their routes outside of office hours.

I have her number, if he does it during the day I can call her.

Pathetic.

"We only enforce the law between 9 and 5 on workdays."

Can you imagine if the police did that?

"Help, I'm bring chased! I think they want to kill me!"

"Sorry, we're not authorised to respond to crime outside office hours. Please call back if you are being murdered between 9 and 5."

That's ridiculous.  Traffic Wardens seem to be around here all the time.  I got a ticket at 7pm once.  Didn't pay it though.  Council can suck it.  I might add it was incorrectly issued.  I wasn't parked like a knob.

That parking isnt a ticket, that's 3 points on the licence. Report it to the police, it's a safety hazard. Council won't be interested, police might, particularly with tales of the near misses youve witnessed...particularly wi the van, no one is going to see people waiting/flinging themselves into the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

High tensile steel. Nothing's touching it.

I know it  sounds stupid but we use a masonry drill bit,will do the job!

Correct but bore wash is why diesekl gets mixed with the engine oil but its very small amounts.

It sounds like if Stunt makes it to power we wil have to place our hand under our nose and point to the little nman who lives down the raod!!!

Why have I only just found out about an EU law which would ban airsofting throughout Europe?

Fortunately, it seems that people have been extremely busy and have had the proposed law amended in such a way as to actually *protect* airsofting rather than banning it...

Can't believe I'm so out of touch with the sport...

a) It's my personal experience, not "tarring" anyone with anything.

B) Being tarred with the same brush is normally a negative thing, whereas I was defending the group in question.

c) You're having a go at me for saying I don't know anyone in a given group who is a git? Really?

Edit - in other news, we *REALLY* need to get Stunt into power...

By putting a comma in between 'same' and the rest of the sentence, it means I agree with you, and that the second part backs up that point of view.

In other news; shmook got what I was on about. We do tend to become a bit hypocritical in here. Banning things or penalising people never seems to work out, and just restricts the innocent parties.

Teachers have the same rules (regarding sickness) as the rest of the working people. Thus, trying to prove if a person was off sick, when they weren't actually sick, is hard to do. Unless they're really thick and put it on Facebook or something. I see parent and child bays, the same as, seats close to the doors on a train. If I'm able bodied and can give my seat up, to someone else (elderly or physically imparted), I do it. If you're not able bodied, and require more room to maneuver or less space to travel, then you'd have a blue badge and so can park in a disabled bay (or you should have a blue badge, whether you qualify is another matter).

Archived