My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Dual Mass Flywheel on my Audi A3 8p broke. Hopefully Without taking the clutch with it. I'm looking at € 2k to 2k5 to replace it without thisnyears maintenance. Did I tell youbguys I'm in financial troubles? Guess I'm deeper yet. Hopefully this psyncan easy my mind becausenI don't know anymore. Too much at once guys, I'm close to selling all I own and moving to Iceland or whatever.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O/S/F suspension coil just just collapsed on my way home from work..

Just as I was going home to get the car remapped so I've had to cancel that and am now sat on the side of the road trying to explain to various RAC personnel that it is the front suspension that has collapsed and a regular front wheel tow bar on a usual van won't work as it will cause more damage. They have asked me how I know etc and apparently me telling them im a mechanic and have already pinpointed the fault isn't good enough.

*albartrotheth*. I hate waiting for recovery vehicles to arrive.

They will send a van anyway. They are idiots.

You will then wait for a recovery truck. And be very off when you get home 6 hours after calling them.

Trufax.

I guess people that work on cars for a living get a lot of 'experts' explaining what the problem is after they've diagnosed it from the Internet, incorrectly.  I just wish they would notice when they're talking to someone that knows what they're talking about and perhaps put their suggestion to the top of the list of possible fixes.  Rather than trying their set procedure of things before going back to the actual solution...

Agreed.

Had a clutch die on a work van years ago. Told them this but they still sent a van with 'expert' on board to look. He said, after trying to drive it "yep, clutch had failed"...

I asked him to hook it up for a tow, but he didn't have a tail lift on his van!

Had to wait for independent recovery truck, and that took me over 6 hours to get from Wigan to Preston, normally a half hour drive to my yard...

I just got home. Called them at 1430.. They sent one van out within 15 and refused to accept it wasn't suitable. I told them I was happy to let them drag it if they would accept liability for any further damage. Then I waited another 1.5 hours for a flatbed. To be told I should have told them what the problem was on the phone..

I give up. And then I just found my spring compressors are rusty and bent somehow thanks to my parents employees leaving them strewn around the shed they shouldn't be in, so I need new spring compressors and the springs on my Fiesta aren't standard springs.. Double the price of usual ones!

Awesome sauce!

You can't tow a Honda S2000 at all, *suitcase* bust.

It is due to the design of the LSD.

I know this, it is in the owner's manual and on a sticker on the car.

I called the AA and told them I was broken down and that I needed a flat bed.

They sent a transit with a tow bar.

Morons.

Don't move to Iceland, you'll get Seasonal Affected Disorder as soon as summer's over.

True, but its as close to a getaway to my preferred fantasy as can get.

Skyrim, Bruma in Oblivion, Skellige in Witcher 3... Love it all.

Thus Iceland. 

Also, challenging life. Living in Belgium luls me to sleep/zombie life.

True, but its as close to a getaway to my preferred fantasy as can get.

Skyrim, Bruma in Oblivion, Skellige in Witcher 3... Love it all.

Thus Iceland. 

Also, challenging life. Living in Belgium luls me to sleep/zombie life.

Don't move to Iceland, they'll send you to Panama.

I guess people that work on cars for a living get a lot of 'experts' explaining what the problem is after they've diagnosed it from the Internet, incorrectly.  I just wish they would notice when they're talking to someone that knows what they're talking about and perhaps put their suggestion to the top of the list of possible fixes.  Rather than trying their set procedure of things before going back to the actual solution...

I love the people who phone up asking for advice and after youve told em whats up they then reply with "its not that" :0)

"Sorry I can't help then" Byyyeeee

You can't tow a Honda S2000 at all, *suitcase* bust.

It is due to the design of the LSD.

I know this, it is in the owner's manual and on a sticker on the car.

I called the AA and told them I was broken down and that I needed a flat bed.

They sent a transit with a tow bar.

Morons.

Whats the S2000 like for headroom? I struggle in normal cars, sadly. Tried a Mk1 TT out a few weeks ago and there's no enough headroom/torso room for someone 6'6" :(

Why did it take this long for them to complain about this "stolen music"?

I find it hard to believe they only just noticed.

I would imagine the rights have just shifted hands and the new owner wants a slice of the led zep pie.

Whats the S2000 like for headroom? I struggle in normal cars, sadly. Tried a Mk1 TT out a few weeks ago and there's no enough headroom/torso room for someone 6'6" :(

It's a convertible it has ? headroom.

Non facetious answer is It depends how far you are prepared to go and what proportion your body is in.

I am a bit long in the body and short in the leg for a 6'2" person.  I was fine normally, snug but very comfortable.  All the controls are very ergonomic.

With a helmet on and the roof closed I couldn't fit.

However, I made a new seat by unbolting the old one and then getting two part polyurethane foam in a bin bag and sitting directly on the floor with my back up against the bulkhead.

Mega comfy (custom) plus it was lower, had better leg room and more lateral stability.

Plus I could just cut it to make it work with the 6 point harness.

Selling the airbags and pyrotechnic seat belt doo dads paid for all that.

Utterly brilliant car.

Really.

It's a convertible it has ? headroom.

Non facetious answer is It depends how far you are prepared to go and what proportion your body is in.

I am a bit long in the body and short in the leg for a 6'2" person.  I was fine normally, snug but very comfortable.  All the controls are very ergonomic.

With a helmet on and the roof closed I couldn't fit.

However, I made a new seat by unbolting the old one and then getting two part polyurethane foam in a bin bag and sitting directly on the floor with my back up against the bulkhead.

Mega comfy (custom) plus it was lower, had better leg room and more lateral stability.

Plus I could just cut it to make it work with the 6 point harness.

Selling the airbags and pyrotechnic seat belt doo dads paid for all that.

Utterly brilliant car.

Really.

Interdasting. I am similar - average leg length (well, 32") but longer than average torso (6'6").

Corrado is a bit tight, truth be told. Would be miles better without a sunroof but alas, I make do by having the seat rake a bit further back than normal.

shame they're so expensive, really...

What you driving these days?

Well, you learn something new every day.  I had no idea there were explosive components in seatbelt systems. Makes sense I suppose.

WE MUST EXPLODE THINGS TO MAKE PEOPLE MORE SAFE!

Explosive pre-tensioners?

Bingo. turns out nothing mechanical can tighten seat-belts as quick as chemistry can.

Well, you learn something new every day.  I had no idea there were explosive components in seatbelt systems. Makes sense I suppose.

Not all cars.

Some have cut-outs in the floor of the car like a can lid so the mounting point peels away to keep the deceleration below 30G.

Explosive pre-tensioners?

In the S2000, yes.

Interdasting. I am similar - average leg length (well, 32") but longer than average torso (6'6").

Corrado is a bit tight, truth be told. Would be miles better without a sunroof but alas, I make do by having the seat rake a bit further back than normal.

shame they're so expensive, really...

Not that bad, 6k for a decent one, I have parts if you needed them.

Test drive it though.  They are a funny shape.

What you driving these days?

Nothing sadly.

I walk to work, the wife has a Skoda Citigo that I bought her.

I have a hankering for a 6x6 Pinzgauer.

WE MUST EXPLODE THINGS TO MAKE PEOPLE MORE SAFE!

Bingo. turns out nothing mechanical can tighten seat-belts as quick as chemistry can.

Archived