My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? They don't come from Europe.

Weak pound. I'm pessimistic about how long it'll take to correct.

Everyone in my office is watching the sharesave scheme. Our shares are up and down like a yo-yo.

I also voted out, am of the same mind as Skarclaw.. And it seems Hedge. At the end of the day though that's what these type of votes are for, Everyone to voice their opinion. Right now the majority want out, and so the remain people are thinking they're fools.. Had it been the other way around it'd be the exact opposite. There hasn't been enough clear concise info about anything really, everything has been twisted etc the only way to find out how it'll go is to give it a go and take the chances.

We were ok before we will be ok now, things will take a dive initially but it'll all even out eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what?

Prices go up and down, import duties and taxes change from time to time.

If it's cheaper to buy from Hong Kong then buy from there, if it's cheaper to buy from Poland buy from there. Presumably it's the same assessment you do anyway.

£ is weak tho - give it a bit. 

It's down a tiny amount really, yeah if you import a PTW or a $2300 BHP it'll add a bit but for lower value purchases the difference will be negligible, chances are it'll bounce back a bit anyhow, markets are fickle and largely seem interested in the short term, anyone watching XE.com last night will know that, it went down a little, then shot up higher than pre-vote levels and back down in the space of an hour or two.

For those of us who manufacture in the UK and export a slightly lower GBP is good, it'll be interesting to see if my sales to EU countries fall although I'm actually expecting them to go up over the last two quarters of this year, it's also worth noting that on a B2B basis I've had far more luck exporting outside of the EU than in over the years.

I found the remain campaign insulting to me and my business anyway, the attitude that we can't do it outside the single market and wouldn't export (be aware that sales to EU member states cannot legally be called exports, they are dispatches) if we weren't in it annoyed me, it came across as if they expected exports to be handed to them on a plate rather than having to put the work into developing new products people in other countries actually want to buy. If you make a unique product that people want and is priced right people will buy it, trade agreement between countries or not.

Perhaps we can explore other trading partners independently of an EU? That might be an idea...

Not forgetting that we're still part of another sort of union - the Commonwealth - with which we could always strengthen our relationship.

^agreed. Back at Feb levels (which isn't great anyway) but I suspect alot of the turmoil is short term trading (which is fine)

not all roses and peaches but I'm not terrified. though alot of the companies in the industry I work in have taken like 40% drops lol

and Rob yes I think both campaigns were *suitcasey* but the amount of blatent snobbery on my nice middle class facebook is astounding - someone compared the referendum for an IQ test! then the usual shared pictures of saying that out voters are microwave-dinner eating, jeremy kyle watchers! take a chill pill guys 

Share prices are all fictional anyway.

You can't "wipe 40% off" the value of a company overnight - the company still owns the same property as yesterday, still makes the same product for the same price and makes profit (hopefully), etc.

It's all notional value on paper and in computers, not the actual value of real assets.

And Rob yes I think both campaigns were *suitcasey* but the amount of blatent snobbery on my nice middle class facebook is astounding - someone compared the referendum for an IQ test! then the usual shared pictures of saying that out voters are microwave-dinner eating, jeremy kyle watchers! take a chill pill guys 

Indeed, the attitude of some was poor, although I mainly saw it from the remain backers where they were suggesting anyone who'd even doubt their opinion was some window licking moron even though there were very few facts to work on.

I'd made my mind up long ago but the thing that really got my back up was the remainers suggesting that the biggest reason people in the EU buy my products is the single market and not because I try to make unique products or try to make something to a higher standard than someone else.

In essense for a small manufacturer like me the remain campaign was defeatist and the leave campaign was much more positive saying that if you have something people want and are willing to put the effort in you can manage without a single market or trade deals, when have you ever heard anyone say they're buying a BMW because they're made in the EU?

I do also hope this kicking will show the EU that they cannot continue with a policy of no reform and start to allow the other EU member states to negotiate better deals and reforms.

I do also hope this kicking will show the EU that they cannot continue with a policy of no reform and start to allow the other EU member states to negotiate better deals and reforms.

HOPEFULLY... but its stuff like this which made me vote out (tbh I have been committed anti EU since I became one of those "Interested in politics twats"):

http://www.business-standard.com/article/international/brexit-unlikely-to-lead-to-contagion-martin-schulz-116062400461_1.html

"That will have consequences and I don't believe other countries will be encouraged to follow that dangerous path."

edit:

as I see it was always going to be a lose lose. In the event of Brexit Britain will be made an example of (see above).

If Britain stayed then they could do whatever with no fear.

Voted remain and I haven't called anyone racist, and I'm not middle class. Does that make me a minority? Not so sure. Most people I know who voted (leave or remain voters) have stated that they've faced attacks from both sides.

Yesterday I was called unpatriotic and a lot of swear words. It does seem that a lot of businesses see it as an opportunity to get better deals. I get that. Let's see what the next two/three years bring, as it will take (roughly) that long to see the affect of leaving the eu.

Also, tarring people with the same brush is a no-no (yes, that's aimed at remain voters and leave voters), there has been a lot of name calling going on.

If Britain stayed then they could do whatever with no fear.

That was my biggest worry really, a vote to remain would have been writing the EU a blank cheque to do whatever they want.

I was half expecting to wake up to a remain vote and a demand from the EU for more money today.

Voted remain and I haven't called anyone racist, and I'm not middle class. Does that make me a minority? Not so sure. Most people I know who voted (leave or remain voters) have stated that they've faced attacks from both sides.

Yesterday I was called unpatriotic and a lot of swear words. It does seem that a lot of businesses see it as an opportunity to get better deals. I get that. Let's see what the next two/three years bring, as it will take (roughly) that long to see the affect of leaving the eu.

Also, tarring people with the same brush is a no-no (yes, that's aimed at remain voters and leave voters), there has been a lot of name calling going on.

Here's the thing - voter intimidation is *WHY* elections were made into secret ballots.

If anyone asks me which way I voted, I tell them it's none of their business. That goes for every election, ever.

Just like the Scottish referendum the other year did. And is still doing.

Now the SNP is agitating for another one - as if they'd ever stopped - because obviously leaving one union to join a larger one would give then "more freedom" or something.

What's *fruitcage* me off the most is self entitled wankers on Facebook bleating on. Some aren't even 18 yet and banging on about pensions etc when they haven't lived 1 day in the real world...

It's happened. I reckon a turbulent couple of years, but no worse than the recession we've just seen, and once we find our feet we will come out of it like a great bear awaking hibernation. We'll see the sunny side and be hungry, and be a stronger nation on the world stage for it.

Meh, what do I know though?

Both sides of the campaigning were very negative and mostly based on scaremongering of what would happen if the other side won - at least what I saw.

The UK has one of the best economies in the world, and that doesn't just go away if we leave the EU. If trade with Europe drops a bit - and I don't think it will drop much, we still want each other's products just as much today as we did last week - then we can make it up by trading with other markets, our Commonwealth allies, the US, China and the Far East, etc.

Everyone is running around like headless chickens, but in the long run life for the average person won't change that much.

Hedge, maybe you don't have to put certain words in capitals. I do know why elections are done in secret. My point was there is hatred from both voters, regardless of how they've voted. I just hope interest rates arnt hit too much.

Poland will still be there, and if they have stuff to sell and people willing to buy it, trade will continue.

You do realize that our moronic regime just introduced an act that allows the jackbooted thugs of all stripes to freely harass foreign nationals and hold them indefinitely under the vaguest suspicions of "terrorism"? If you order a replica from one of our shops, then come drinking to Krakow and the cops have a bad day, they can make you a terrorist and throw you into some dark hole until they figure out you're not, which may not happen as long as they feel they have a bad day or some *suitcase*.

And the EU will smugly look on and say "Oh, you're not one of ours and we don't think Poland is going to be one of ours any longer either, we're sick of their xenophobic *suitcase*".

Hell, the moronic *Ubarflock* running this sick sad fiefdom of the Vatican stated in February that they will not allow Brexit to happen, as if they could influence anything, aside from graciously allowing Davey Pigstuffer to cut welfare for Polish immigrants in exchange for pie-in-the-sky promises of having more NATO troops in Poland.

You do realise that the UK has a Foreign Office whose duties include acting on behalf of British Subjects involved in "legal difficulties" overseas?

Which isn't to say they'd actually achieve anything, but we don't need the EU to protect our people.

Archived