My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure there was a bit of a Prodigy track played in something I have watched recently but I forgot to try and find it at the time and now I have forgotten what I heard it in and it's really annoying me not knowing what track it was.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad.

Someone posted photo's of the 1991 ice storm on facebook. They weren't of the 1991 ice storm because the cars were too new. So I said "why is the Ice storm older than the truck in the picture", she said "actually, it's not, I took those pictures". Then I posted pictures of what an Ford F150 from 2008 looked like (the one in the picture) and what one looks like in 1991. She tells me it's not a Ford, and I must be an idiot.

Finally, I said "Must be some serious Mandela effect because I'm pretty sure that this is an eleventh series Ford F150 with a twin cab and who knew celluloid had 3K resolution back in 1991".

She deleted my comments and removed me from her friends. Thank god, I can stand people who were born yesterday, can't stand people that think I was born yesterday.

I'm tired and I'll have to buy water filters after work.

Also, throughout the next three weeks I'll be running from doctor to doctor, getting prepared for my surgery. I need to get a Hep B shot, but I'm still sniffling.

Got my car back from the mechanic....

Fekin €2250... 

- waterpump

- distribution belt

- alternatorbelt

- brakepads front

- brakepads back

- brake disk front

- brakedisk back
- brake 'claws' back

... Plus €1000 a year for insurance and road tax for a 12 year old 1.9TDI/105 bhp

Not even counting my diesel, remind me why I have a car when I only do 10k kilometers a year?
SUCH a money pit!

Comfortable furniture and renovating postphoned at the very least 6 months...

cambelt ('distribution belt') and waterpump are an important job in those engines. They're interferance, which means if it snaps the valves in the top of the engine meet bits from the bottom of the engine in a smashy smashy breaky breaky way.

water pump is driven by the cambelt and it's not unheard of for the impeller to shatter, so whilst it's off it's good to do it as preventative.

Same with the alternator belt.

Discs and pads front and rear is a big hit all at once, but important. sadly lack of use can lead to premature corrosion of the discs which does seriously affect breaking power, which is a seriously Not Good thing.

sucks on the brake calipers, but they're sadly prone to seizing, which reduces park/handbrake effectiveness, and 'normal' braking effectiveness. 

Also if one of them sticks on the car can pull one way or the other, the excess heat can damage the wheel bearing, and so on.

Learn basic mechanics. Front discs and pads are to me an essential thing to do yourself. Water pump I would pay for, to save me a days labour and ball ache, but could do it if I had to.

Alternator belt, mine are stretchy ones. Others are tensioned. Again a ball ache, but doable. Last alternator I did was at the side of the road, and belt too.

Not bragging, but you can save yourself money here and there :)

Hah, well, thanks for the info :).

I'm not really complaining I needed my car fixed, I'm just in a bad mood ( so yeah, complaining..) that it all came at once.

As for doing it myself, I'd love that!

Yet still living with my parents I don't have the space nor tools.

My car stays outside 24/7 and doesn't do much distance. So rust and decay easily finds it's way to it, that's my guess.

Thaks for the support though, I swear I'm saving visits to my psy by visiting Arnies

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Tools simply are not a priority.

And, just like in everything, I have this dumb backwards mentality that everything I buy MUST be if decent quality from a known brand.

I save up for just about everything that doesn't get used on daily basis.

Dudes and dudettes, renovation by yourself plain sucks. I'm poor all the time.

Ps. Yes, I did buy myself a hi-capa

Or irony...

Definitely recommend doing the work on your car yourself. First you know what's actually been done rather than what some mechanic claims has been done. Been ripped off by a garage before in my youth where they claimed my old 205 needed new brake lines and CV boots every 6000 miles.

I've changed the head on one of my cars out in the street, that was probably the scariest job I've done on the car, because once you've torqued up the head bolts, you then have to turn them through like 180 degrees more, and you're gently pulling on that long bar thinking "What if this snaps? What the hell do I do if this bolt snaps?"

The most annoying job was replacing the rear suspension bushes on my Laguna estate. The tool is a long threaded bar and two brass cups (one large, one small), drop the rear axle, then put the cups either side the bush and screw them together which pushes the bush out, then swap the cups over to push the new bush in. That's the theory anyway, in reality the cups slip so you're pushing at an angle, and when you're trying to push the new bush in, the small cup slips and damages the rubber of the bush. In the end I had to jam some pry bars in between the bush and the cup and that made it a lot easier. Then 2 weeks later I had to do it again as the rubber on one side came away from the bush! Total PITA.

Brake pads and discs are a doddle, especially if you have the proper wind back tool for the piston, if you don't then it just takes longer and you might get some scraped knuckles.

Cambelt sounds tricky but it isn't, the main thing to make sure is that the engine is locked in position.

I just want a nice, warm, dry workplace with a pit and or lift. Preferably with my tools hung on the workbench outlined in white.

I'm very James May in that regard. I'm not working on my car outside. I'd lose all kinds of bolts, spacers and what have you in the grass!

I -might- just not have the right mindset too, guys. Very stubborn in that regard

A pit would be heaven! When I eventually get around to having a garage built I'll be sinking a pit into the base.

That's one thing I miss about my old Citroen Xantias too, no need to use a jack to get underneath, just set their suspension on high, fix axle stands under the end of the car I needed to work on, and drop the car down so that end would tilt up. It took longer for the oil to drain out than it did to get the car up and sump plug out.

Nah, you don't want a pit.  Lifts are where it's at.  Pits are dangerous.  If you get a 4 post lift, you can use it to double your car storage plus take it with you when you move.

True, you need space above so need the right garage.  Not much extra space is needed to sides but yeah, not likely to fit the typical British, pokey garage.  Cheapest I've seen is around £1600 but a no brainer if you have the space.

Does anyone else not understand why seemingly everyone is obsessed with Emma Watson?  Has she got this massive following just because she played some character in the Harry Potter films?  I just do not get it.  Granted I have not watched any of those films but I see nothing about her that is mind blowing.  If she were to serve me in a petrol station I wouldn't take a second look.

She has somehow achieved this media darling status whilst being a typical hypocritical, opinionated celebrity *albartroth* that thinks she's more intelligent than everyone else.

Archived