My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Yep, I'm also with Lone_Bullet here. Started using computers with a 48k Spectrum, went through a C64 and Amiga 500 before joining the PC gang back when DOS was king.

Used every version of Windows until 7, then switched over to Linux (Fedora 25) and haven't looked back. :)

This whole idea people have that EVERYTHING must be connected to the web sounds like a bad one waiting to happen.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting tired of win10 f#kingbthings over. Seems like every major update needs it's own clean install. Is Linux recommended for a gaming machine and how does ASIO drivers behave on Linux? Any recommendations?

Been a windows user since 95. Always worked well. Till win7.

Don't want cloud

Don't want permanent internet connection

Don't want my info stored and used against me for ads etc..

Gimme back winXP or 2000...

In another note: I'm getting real stressed out by the social media, google, apple and microsoft behaviorx.

I can't really explain it very well but since everything is connected to each other I'm feeling anxious. Like it's too big for me? As a ex computernerd and gamer that's something, but I dread the current innovation for hype's sake and the quantity over quality.

Help...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I use Ubuntu on my daily driver.

16.04 just works.

I have a few tweaks like caffeine, gwake! and tor browser.

Gaming is pretty exciting at the moment.

If you look on Steam there are plenty of big games that work on SteamOS/Linux.

Failing that, plenty more are able to run in WinE.

You can also spin up a VM inside Linux and play games on that, until recently you needed to have some pretty baller server hardware to do that but it is totally possible to use GPU pass through to give a VM a whole graphics card now.

There are some issues with that, Nvidia's drivers won't work in a VM because Nvidia are *rickrolls*.  You need to set the VM to tell the drivers they are in a PC.

You are also dependent on the UEFI BIOS of your MoBo and whether it supports separate IO MMU groups for enough hardware to assign it to a VM.

Wendell at Level 1 Techs is super keen on this and has a video of GTA5 running in a VM and guides to doing it yourself.

When he review motherboards he also test the IO MMU groups and virtualisation.

He recently reviewed the new Fatal1ty board for AM4 and it looks like you could build a totally insane Ryzen gaming PC with Vm support for the games that can' handle windows.

And, of course, VMs can be prevented from accessing the internet, updating or anything else and can be wiped and reset every time you start them.

Passthrough discussion

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/gta-v-on-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough/87440

Vidoe, GTA V on Arch

L1 Tech Linux channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOWcZ6Wicl-1N34H0zZe38w

MoBo review on the general L1 Tech tech tips channel

We should move this discussion to the computer thread though.

Thanks for all the advice. I've told her to keep an eye on her account and if any money goes out to ring the bank again.

The guy actually rang back the next evening (she cut his first call short as she had to go out) and this time I answered. I basically told him to *fruitcage* off, and not ring back or take any payments or I would be reporting him to the police

The Mini DP on my MacBook Pro has finally given up the ghost. The whole laptop has been giving me jip for a few months now but this is the final straw, its only 7 years old, I was hoping for a couple more years out of it. About time I start to build my new PC!

Stunt - How did you go on those computer parts? Were you able to get replacements? 

Got a bill today from my dentists.

I had to cancel an appointment because I literally didn't have the money to pay for it, which they determined was not an acceptable reason for cancelling an appointment within 48 hours.

So they have now sent me a bill:

£10.48p for the appointment

£50.00p cancellation charge

£10.00p late payment charge

And the threat that they will then send it on to a debt collection agency with an additional 25% on top if I don't pay within a week.

Also, the previous tenant's gas company have demanded I pay for a month of gas and electricity that I didn't use, having been not living here at the time. From more than 18 months ago. So that's another £90, because I cannot afford to take them to court.

Also, my boss has told me that he won't give me a proper contract and pay me the minimum wage (I currently earn £5 an hour) because the business isn't doing well enough. This is because he has racked up nearly £10,000 worth of debt buying up expensive stock and then not selling them. More importantly, it's not my *fruitcage* problem, but he voted to Leave the EU, proudly votes Tory without actually knowing a single one of their policies, loves Theresa May and literally plays youtube videos of Trump Press conferences nonstop when at work, so I suspect worker rights aren't really his thing.

TL;DR: On top of the £400 in rent, £120 in council tax, £130 in bills, I now have to pay another £160 this month, primarily because I am apparently not allowed to be poor and must be punished for it.

Also also, I pull in £480 a month at this *suitcasey* stopgap job, but because racist wankstain boss is on holiday to India next week and us lowly peons are not to be trusted with running the shop lest we actually *fruitcage* sell some of the stock to customers, I am going to be down £120 in wages.

Welcome to Tory Britain.

Anyone know of any multi-millionaire Tory Party Donors who need a kidney transplant? I have one going spare.

The Mini DP on my MacBook Pro has finally given up the ghost. The whole laptop has been giving me jip for a few months now but this is the final straw, its only 7 years old, I was hoping for a couple more years out of it. About time I start to build my new PC!

Stunt - How did you go on those computer parts? Were you able to get replacements? 

No, I have two separate insurance people arguing about who gets to tell me I am not covered.

DarkLite, I'll have rooms spare here in Belgium when I ever finish the house...

Fek it, I can send you some money if you have paypal or something. 

I even thing that the some more arnies members will donate if you set up a GoFundMe.

Just saying, you seem like a decent chap

Thanks for the offers guys but I'm sorting it out by taking on extra work and I'm looking for a new job to jump ship ASAP.

Unfortunately I can't take the boss *Ubar* to court because I'd just end up getting fired, along with the other worker in the shop who would end up possibly being deported and I won't do that to her.

No, I have two separate insurance people arguing about who gets to tell me I am not covered.

Ah that's a pain! No worries got a sort of build list in mind, will head over to the computer thread when im home and pick people's brains!!

And Darklite id also help and chip in if you need some, just sold a couple of pistols so I've got some spare I can help you out with if it comes down to it!

Got a bill today from my dentists.

I had to cancel an appointment because I literally didn't have the money to pay for it, which they determined was not an acceptable reason for cancelling an appointment within 48 hours.

So they have now sent me a bill:

£10.48p for the appointment

£50.00p cancellation charge

£10.00p late payment charge

And the threat that they will then send it on to a debt collection agency with an additional 25% on top if I don't pay within a week.

Also, the previous tenant's gas company have demanded I pay for a month of gas and electricity that I didn't use, having been not living here at the time. From more than 18 months ago. So that's another £90, because I cannot afford to take them to court.

Also, my boss has told me that he won't give me a proper contract and pay me the minimum wage (I currently earn £5 an hour) because the business isn't doing well enough. This is because he has racked up nearly £10,000 worth of debt buying up expensive stock and then not selling them. More importantly, it's not my *fruitcage* problem, but he voted to Leave the EU, proudly votes Tory without actually knowing a single one of their policies, loves Theresa May and literally plays youtube videos of Trump Press conferences nonstop when at work, so I suspect worker rights aren't really his thing.

TL;DR: On top of the £400 in rent, £120 in council tax, £130 in bills, I now have to pay another £160 this month, primarily because I am apparently not allowed to be poor and must be punished for it.

Also also, I pull in £480 a month at this *suitcasey* stopgap job, but because racist wankstain boss is on holiday to India next week and us lowly peons are not to be trusted with running the shop lest we actually *fruitcage* sell some of the stock to customers, I am going to be down £120 in wages.

Welcome to Tory Britain.

Anyone know of any multi-millionaire Tory Party Donors who need a kidney transplant? I have one going spare.

THIS is the kind of stuff that causes people to snap!

Archived