My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

A new topic,alternatives to sky?

I am getting increasingly *fruitcage*ed off with their *suitcase*.

If it matters, I have *suitcase* broadband speed, and would rather keep it quasi legal. No kodi/torrent etc.

Go!

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BB speed restricted by locale? 

I think the way to go is just get the cheapest fibre you're happy with in terms of speed or just regular BB if need be.  I like Plusnet fibre.  Then get Netflix and Amazon Prime and you're sorted for TV.

Yeah, restricted by locale. Have Netflix, tried the free prime trial and browsed the content. I may have messed up, but the 'video' (or whatever it was) had all sorts of rubbish films that weren't even 'straight to TV' quality.

Are they extortionately priced too?  Like old Defenders in the US.  Prices are bonkers for those.

Yes in good original condtion, but this one needed a new frame.

Let me tell you about old two door Range Rover in the US. If they are not in excellent collectors condtion, no one buys them. They usually come with a spare engine or parts for a 350 ci conversion.

Most 4 door classic's go for peanuts.

It's like the two door Range Rover classic (they are extreamly rare, here in the US) I wanted buy a few years ago. My then fiance was going to let get it, but I had other prorities.

Now I have neither the RR or my fiance, and it's probably for the better lol

I used to have a bobtailed 2 door RR, sold it to a mate.

You may have dodged a bullet there.

On the Pinz the body rusts but it is irrelevant because the chassis is strong.

On the RR the body doesn't rust and it hides the fact the chassis is made of patch panels and mastic.

There is a difference between being able to afford Sky and being willing to put up with their terrible customer service, awful performance and faintly ridiculous pricing policy.

All the old style TV providers are going down, nothing can stop that.

Unfortunately, their policy seems to be that the less customers they have the more they charge the ones who are still there.

Yeah, restricted by locale. Have Netflix, tried the free prime trial and browsed the content. I may have messed up, but the 'video' (or whatever it was) had all sorts of rubbish films that weren't even 'straight to TV' quality.

I tried Prime/Amazon back when it was LoveFilms and nearly every film we picked was either an additional charge or actually an advert to buy it from Amazon. Cancelled the trial early and stuck with Netflix.

It depends on what stations you want to watch. How's your freeview signal?

How about a NowTV box? Depending on how bad your broadband is. OK it's still technically Sky, but you're not tied in.

Amazon Prime video is not as good as Netflix. They'll have the first three seasons of a show included with your subscription and then the rest are behind pay barriers.

Especially with kids, they don't get why they can't click on the next episode.

It's a great way to make money, but a *suitcase* way to treat your customers.

At least on Netflix, they either have it included in your subscription or it's not available at all.

Amazon Prime video is not as good as Netflix. They'll have the first three seasons of a show included with your subscription and then the rest are behind pay barriers.

Especially with kids, they don't get why they can't click on the next episode.

It's a great way to make money, but a *suitcase* way to treat your customers.

At least on Netflix, they either have it included in your subscription or it's not available at all.

Someone at work was just complaining about this exact problem last week!

There is a difference between being able to afford Sky and being willing to put up with their terrible customer service, awful performance and faintly ridiculous pricing policy.

All the old style TV providers are going down, nothing can stop that.

Unfortunately, their policy seems to be that the less customers they have the more they charge the ones who are still there.

Cost isn't the issue, I would suggest everyone ignore the racist, homophobic halfwit above. (I don't mean stunt, obviously)

I'm just getting annoyed at the service, and the fact that my box is old and the interface is clunky and I don't get an upgrade when if I signed up as a new customer I'd get the latest box.

We have Netflix too, but watched all the programmes that we want to, films too.

Xaccers, freeview signal is good, but it's been so long since we used hat I have no idea what's on there now. I will look in to a nowtv box, thanks :)

Hang on, what's happening here?

We have an idiot in our midst. He made racist comments and got shot down. He made homophobic comments and got a holiday. He shotguns inane comments all over threads and isn't worth conversing with.

I'm not sure who you're referring to - surely anyone making racist comments would have been banned by now?

He was slagging off the English a while ago and furiously backpeddalled when challenged. I reckon he was close to it then, but I'm not a mod so don't know :)

Cost isn't the issue, I would suggest everyone ignore the racist, homophobic halfwit above. (I don't mean stunt, obviously)

I'm just getting annoyed at the service, and the fact that my box is old and the interface is clunky and I don't get an upgrade when if I signed up as a new customer I'd get the latest box.

We have Netflix too, but watched all the programmes that we want to, films too.

Xaccers, freeview signal is good, but it's been so long since we used hat I have no idea what's on there now. I will look in to a nowtv box, thanks :)

We had Sky+ HD, but after 3 or 4 years the box gave up the ghost, so we called them to drop down to FreeSat (we've got no aerial on the house) with a view of waiting a month or so, then signing back up to get one of their deals with freebies.

Instead they offered us a discount of £10.75 for 10 months on a 12 month Sky Q contract for a main box and a mini box, basically keeping our bill the same at £24 a month for 10 months, and you beauty, you've just made me look up the details and I can see the contract is up at the end of August, so a couple of months and I'll see what deals they're doing.

I don't watch much TV, I tend to download the episodes of TV series that I want to watch or use Netflix, but my wife finds watching Jeremy Kyle and Judge Rinder relaxing (I don't get how) so really if we had an aerial we could get away with just freeview, but there are the odd programs throughtout the month she watches which aren't on freeview, and we've been quoted £250 to install the aerial as it's a 3 story town house.

Also, as we've got two chromecasts, you get (or at least used to, haven't checked in months) freebies with them, like 3 months Now TV. I managed to get 3 months from McDonalds during their Monopoly promotion, so that's Game of Thrones sorted without having to torrent it.

if we had an aerial we could get away with just freeview, but there are the odd programs throughtout the month she watches which aren't on freeview, and we've been quoted £250 to install the aerial as it's a 3 story town house.

I think I've still got my Freesat box kicking about if you want it? I'll have a look under the spare bed later where all the things live.

I think I've still got my Freesat box kicking about if you want it? I'll have a look under the spare bed later where all the things live.

I really really appreciate the offer, but we're happy on Sky Q at the moment (well, apart from when it throws a wobbly and the mini box which we use the most stops talking to the main box).

I'd have Sky Fibre again if I could, especially as their hub uses powerline networking for the boxes to talk to each other, and the boxes become WiFi extenders.

Unfortunatley, BT in their infinite wisdom didn't put many fibre connections in the green box (we're fibre to the premises so can get superdooper speeds for a price) and they're either all used up, or noone else supports fibre to the house, so we're stuck with BT, which is OK, the service has been good, but I'd rather be able to save money by combining it with a TV service.

Pretty sure Virgin Media have the fastest speed available. I've found them to be very good - the prices aren't the best, perhaps, but whenever I phone them to moan they throw discounts at me, so I'm not sure anyone is actually paying full price...

Bury me with my *albatross* up just so everyone can kiss it.

Local labor law is retarded since always, and nobody's willing to change it, in line with our old saying "Not my circus, not my monkeys". So here's the deal: I crawl back to work today, after a month of sick leave, and turn in an official slip from the doctor. Of course, since the labor law is retarded, and mandatory health and safety training hardly contains a section on medical leave and all the *fruitcage* paperwork and when to deliver it at the latest, the old bag from HR somehow didn't give a flea's *fruitcage* about the fact that hey, I'm gone for thirty days and what's going on with me. Until today. Because when she finally got the paperwork three weeks late, she went apeshit, and I mean King Kong *suitcase* level. Because supposedly I was to get a confirmation that my treatment is finished from my doc, go through an employee health check, and turn up to work only then. If only anyone told me that in time.

Look. Seven days after the slip was issued, I was still hardly able to walk or even stand in line at the *fruitcage* post office, and I didn't have anyone willing to drag their *albatross* to my workplace and hand the slip to that *badgeress* from HR. Worse yet, the hospital could do it, but wasn't really obligated - which I learned from a buddy who works in H&S for another hospital.

I am . Royally *fruitcage* .

Pretty sure Virgin Media have the fastest speed available. I've found them to be very good - the prices aren't the best, perhaps, but whenever I phone them to moan they throw discounts at me, so I'm not sure anyone is actually paying full price...

I used to work for them back when they were NTL, would have VM in a flash if they were available in my area. Unfortunately they cabled Bletchley, but as they were being paid to maintain the nation's analogue transmitters, in MK that meant the old analogue cable system of the 70's, so they had no interest in pushing out in the area. In some cul-de-sacs the aerial lead ran down the street along the garden's trellises with spurs going off to each house, so if someone at the entrance of the road wasn't careful when trimming the hedge, they could cut off the entire street! MK had a rule on no roof top aerials back then, well, it still does but no one enforces it so everyone has aerials or dishes.

Archived