My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Food is not subject to VAT - except for "luxury items"

Oh ho, not here. Over here, the VAT catalog is huge and confusing, and for example mustard is taxed lower than mustard-based sauce, mineral water taxed lower than spring water, and if the government drone in charge is feeling extra malicious, he may even declare that a lollipop is a soft drink and *fruitcage* your business up seven ways to Sunday. Basically, it's all unprecedented nonsense and the government acts like it owns the citizens.

If I had less to lose, I'd hitchhike my *albatross* out of this hellhole.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about corporate tax.  However.

For personal tax you set a living wage, say £25,000.

Then you charge 50% income tax on everything above that, if people are working but don't make that the welfare state will "top up" their salary depending on need.

People who need more will get more.  People who are disabled and those who care for them for example.

All other taxes including VED will be gone.

Almost everybody will be better off except the super rich.

No excuses, no get outs, no hiding money.

All the people currently employed to manage the car crash of a system we have now would immediately be switched to enforcement and collection and paid partially on commission.

Certain things would have an additional punitive tax on them, tobacco for example, but that would be paid by the manufacturer/importer.

People on benefits would be paid in food and given children's clothing if necessary.  They would receive as little cash as possible.

It would work fine and save a load of money whilst bringing more in and benefiting the poorest.

OK, so we've all seen that Photobucket is being a total ****hole.

What are the other sites that are free and allow third-party posting, or whatever it's called?

Bizarrely enough, MySpace can still be used for hosting pics and hotlinking. Or at least it could a couple months ago when i last did.

The best tax is a land value tax. The 'super rich' don't make thier money by working for it! Google Churchill LVT for a good initial arguement, then Henry George for more.

A big reason why we have a unproductive economy is because so much of our economy is rent-based.

Trivia: the game monolopy was designed to illustrate ricardo's law of rent.

LVT implemented on a national level would be a game changer.

Well that's easy to explain.

Lists of taxable goods are made, but rarely updated. The people responsible see them as very low priority and they're mostly right, there are more pressing matters being handled by the same persons. So you've created historically outdated list and forgotten ruling. Not to mention lobbying groups bar any initiative and take action based on corporate needs, not consumer needs.

We're talking correcting errors that are in the system as long as taxation exists

It's the way of the world, red tape and endless 'paper' hassle.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Edited for shpellung

Vat has some oddities and complications. Doritos, non vat. Other crisps, vat. Eat in and takeaway food/drink gets fun as well. At its simplest if it is served hot (or above ambient temperature) it's vAt away. Everything eatin is vatable.

Vat is a pain. But epos systems we install helps calculate it, so I suppose it's quite important to me!

Corporation tax is my least favourite. As a small company, we pay about the same to Hmrc as we do to ourselves. I had to speak to Hmrc today about an issue, I knew what the problem was and what they needed to do to resolve it. I had to speak to 3 people to sort it out. The 1st thought it was an it issue....despite me telling her that it was because a flag was against by tax code that needed removing, following a previous issue. Took over an hour to resolve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The uni bar in Hatfield was almost as expensive as the pubs and only had the usual ###### beer or spirits. I do vaguely remember they did a bar stock exchange a few times and one night I was lucky enough to get served just as the market crashed

Back when I went to (s)Hatfield, my mates were able to drink 8 pints in The Font before getting squiffy, but over at Wall Hall, after only a few they were pretty gazeeboed.

While I believe social media has a use in society, it has created billions of *Ubarflock*, or at least allowed them to manifest themselves better.

It's reverting society into petty little children.

Woke up today to find my Facebook account has been "disabled" - no indication as to why.

I suspect a concerted effort of malicious reporting by a group of "trolls" relating to a couple of groups I admin.

Pathetic.

Welcome to my world. Mine was suspended three weeks ago over a comment, I quote, "Please, put it out of its misery."

While neonazis hurl abuse at every kind of brown-ish people and call for genocide with impunity.

That's it.

Any specific questions, ask.  My mum just retired as a VAT inspector of 20+ years.

The other thing is why biscuits are a "luxury" but cakes are not.

Cakes are not necessities.

Unless it is your birthday, surely?

Cake is not VATable because of it's ease of manufacture and basic ingredients.

In a lot of Europe "cake-like" things are a staple.

It's like bread, you can't VAT bread.

Back when I went to (s)Hatfield, my mates were able to drink 8 pints in The Font before getting squiffy, but over at Wall Hall, after only a few they were pretty gazeeboed.

A few of us always suspected they watered the drinks down, hence the reason we usually got before going there. That and being drunk helped put up with the steroid filled knuckle daggers they used for bouncers.

When were you there? 98 - 02 for me

What better time to fix a road with a jackhammer and concrete saw than Friday night? Literally, there's some *Ubar* with a concrete saw right outside my window right this *fruitcage* moment. 1AM. Just like if the Metro construction out on the corner wasn't enough.

That's it.

Any specific questions, ask.  My mum just retired as a VAT inspector of 20+ years.

Unless it is your birthday, surely?

Cake is not VATable because of it's ease of manufacture and basic ingredients.

In a lot of Europe "cake-like" things are a staple.

It's like bread, you can't VAT bread.

Before the EU's VAT, the UK had a luxury tax (Purchase tax at 33.3%) which after we joined we turned into VAT (so a Mini car had luxury tax added to it, but the van version didn't), but retained the idea that it was a luxury tax, hence the outrage from some people that feminine hygiene products incurred VAT.

Cakes and biscuits (non-chocolate covered) are considered necessities so aren't taxed. Gingerbread men with chocolate eyes aren't taxed, but give them chocolate buttons or a chocolate belt and VAT must be added.

I believe the new EU rules are that any rates prior to joining can be maintained, but if they go up, they can't go down, and any new items have to be taxed at 15% or more. Governments can increase the rate of VAT above 15% but if they want to reduce it down (can't be below 15%) then they have to ask for permission from the EU every few years as VAT is one way that the EU gets funded, hence why the UK contributes so much as we have a consumer lead economy.

A few of us always suspected they watered the drinks down, hence the reason we usually got ###### before going there. That and being drunk helped put up with the steroid filled knuckle daggers they used for bouncers.

When were you there? 98 - 02 for me

Started in 95, had a serious car accident in 96 so missed most of the second semester but got to come back in 96. Then at the start of 97 one of the new housemates came home high on drugs and attacked me. It turned out he slept with a large chef's knife under his pillow and thought it was a clever idea to wave a replica gun around in the SU finance office pretending to rob them.

The university's housing department had no list of any houses with spare rooms that I could move into (and despite me being the victim and the other things he'd done, they didn't want to get involved) so I decided rather than live in the house any longer while trying to find somewhere to move to I'd call it a day and got a job instead, best decision of my life.

Ironically they all got kicked out when I left. One of my mates there was a mature student who'd gone to university as the job market around Brighton had dried up. I didn't realise he was on my course until I moved into their house, I just thought he was some bloke who spent most of the time lying on the sofa!

When he started they'd put him in the top maths class as he had good results back when he was at college, and told him if it's too hard they'll move him down a level. It was too advanced for him, but when he asked to be moved down they said the intermediate level class was full so he'd have to stay in advanced. He'd be unable to pass maths, and without that you couldn't pass the year, so he didn't bother going to lectures. In his maths exam he just wrote "I am a fish" and left after 40 minutes.

He got a F2 so returned and paid for his own fees (£900 back then), so didn't see the point in registering every day. So coincidentally when I left they decided he wasn't attending and kicked him out. With two empty rooms, the housing department wrote to the others (who'd rather spend their grants on trading cards, and use newspaper to wipe their backsides) telling them that the university considered it unfair to ask them to cover the drop in rent, so without any help to find somewhere else, they were all turfed out.

Archived