My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the panic button got smacked when the ASG-certified tech outright stated he was re-installing broken gearsets.

I wish I had managed to screencap the posts where he started panicking, but alas, they hit the baleet button too fast.

uyh3WQd.png

Alas.

In my experience most of the so called "tech experts" on Facebook have bugger all first hand experience and are just regurgitating the same in correct info they've heard from other equally clueless idiots. Eg last week someone was claiming you shouldn't use silicone spray to clean your inner barrel, but wd40 is ok

In my experience most of the so called "tech experts" on Facebook have bugger all first hand experience and are just regurgitating the same in correct info they've heard from other equally clueless idiots. Eg last week someone was claiming you shouldn't use silicone spray to clean your inner barrel, but wd40 is ok

This 'tech expert', unfortunately, works as the in house tech for a large UK retailer (which might rhyme with Vitriol Face, but I'm certainly not going to say that out loud).

The more worrying thing is that not only did that thread get removed, but also two other threads by other people complaining about their EVO's gearsets randomly going boof.

Not that the admin of the group works for ASG or anything OH WAIT

Firefly was on the other day, every episode back to back. Recorded it as I've not seen it for a while and would give me something to watch when off.

Just pressed play, and I stupidly recorded it in HD. I don't have an HD subscription so can't watch it. Just found it on demand and every episode apart from the first is still available.

First world problems, but gah. I've been caught out before with sky letting you record HD but not giving a warning that you can't watch it :(

Firefly was on the other day, every episode back to back. Recorded it as I've not seen it for a while and would give me something to watch when off.

Just pressed play, and I stupidly recorded it in HD. I don't have an HD subscription so can't watch it. Just found it on demand and every episode apart from the first is still available.

First world problems, but gah. I've been caught out before with sky letting you record HD but not giving a warning that you can't watch it :(

Give Sky a call, tell them you're considering HD, could you try it for a month, get HD for a month, watch your HD recordings :)

I know of people who record movies all year long without a movie subscription, then in December they ask to try it for free, so when the kids are over for xmas, they can watch what they've recorded.

Xaccers, they are due a call. We've been stagnating for a while with our account.

Hitman, see above! Due an upgrade, but we have both been busy and had other priorities :)

Edit, it is an old subscription. It's the first or second model HD box they offered. A massive 250gb...

Xaccers, they are due a call. We've been stagnating for a while with our account.

Hitman, see above! Due an upgrade, but we have both been busy and had other priorities :)

Edit, it is an old subscription. It's the first or second model HD box they offered. A massive 250gb...

Time to push for a deal on Sky Q then :)

I need to give them a call as my deal's run out, normally point out that FreeSat (one off payment of £10) would give us most of what we watch and see what deal they can do to keep us.

We initially had trouble with our Sky Q box due to it not being set up properly, so we can use that as leverage too.

Need to do the same with BT broadband soon too. Have a go at moving to another provider. The problem we have is our fibre is to the premises (which is great as it can be faster than fibre to the street cabinet), and to initially move to that it would have meant getting a new phone number. My wife insisted we needed to keep it, so they kept the copper to the prem for the phone, and installed fibre alongside.

So if I put the phone number into any ISP for a check on what they can provide, it only comes back with ADSL.

BT claim it shouldn't, but then they would as they don't want to lose my business.

BT Wholesale shows FTTP is available so the cabinet isn't at capacity, unless my fibre comes from a different cabinet not listed.

Time to push for a deal on Sky Q then :)

I need to give them a call as my deal's run out, normally point out that FreeSat (one off payment of £10) would give us most of what we watch and see what deal they can do to keep us.

We initially had trouble with our Sky Q box due to it not being set up properly, so we can use that as leverage too.

Need to do the same with BT broadband soon too. Have a go at moving to another provider. The problem we have is our fibre is to the premises (which is great as it can be faster than fibre to the street cabinet), and to initially move to that it would have meant getting a new phone number. My wife insisted we needed to keep it, so they kept the copper to the prem for the phone, and installed fibre alongside.

So if I put the phone number into any ISP for a check on what they can provide, it only comes back with ADSL.

BT claim it shouldn't, but then they would as they don't want to lose my business.

BT Wholesale shows FTTP is available so the cabinet isn't at capacity, unless my fibre comes from a different cabinet not listed.

We are switching broadband too, I'm going to go with Vodafone as I'm already a customer and get a deal. Got the option of switching or keeping the phone number, but we never use the landline so don't really care! Sky are getting a call in a minute or so, will mention freesat too, hadn't thought of that :)

I change over from sky to Vodafone broadband today. Sky were alright (got a very good deal) but thoroughly uninterested when it came to fixing a fault in the line. Then open reach missed an engineer's appointment and 'all they could offer' was a goodwill gesture of £6 for the inconvenience of me having to take a day off work unpaid.

Let's hope Vodafone are better. I'd go with Andrews and Arnold in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive :(

Today's rant : work is today. Properly not enjoying myself at all.

Still.

Only 11 months until I can resist the driving instructor theory test again...

Sorry to hear that buddy.

I hope not my fault.

TIL that clear polystyrene exists and I've probably seen it every day since forever and just not known what it was.

Now that you know that I should tell you that if you put clear polystyrene in petrol it dissolves into the petrol and thickens the petrol into a jelly.

If you needed a sticky, thick, highly flammable gel for anything...

Fair enough, I've always been told that wd40 and petroleum based oils will eat your hop rubber

One of those "everyone knows" things that is *badger*s.

The reason you shouldn't use it in airsoft stuff is that it stays on the hop rubber and is very persistent and a good lubricant.

That means the hop won't grip the bb as well and mess up your hop.

A lot of hop rubbers are made of silicone rubber which might as well be indestructible.

Now that you know that I should tell you that if you put clear polystyrene in petrol it dissolves into the petrol and thickens the petrol into a jelly.

If you needed a sticky, thick, highly flammable gel for anything...

Is clear polystyrene especially good for this then?  I might or might not have tried it with white polystyrene beads and a batch with washing powder.

The bloody dippy moo from virgin media trying to get me to buy a more expensive package. She didn't seam to get that if I have to pay extra then it's not really an "upgrade" is it. Especially as she kept trying to sell it on the points that I would get sky sports and sky cinema, neither of which I want. In the end I had to hang up on her as she just wouldn't listen

Archived