My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Had similar with sky.

I don't want to pay more. Offered sky q for a 1 off 65 pound payment. That's more.

Best thing is, I saw today on an advert that new customers will pay £20 installation for a sky q box, and get sky variety bundle for £25. It's £32 for existing customers, and we don't get offered the same deals.

I didn't know that. I was polite on Wednesday. I won't be tomorrow.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my friend got sick and the game day tomorrow has been called off.

Also, I'm wondering how to suspend a slightly twitchy 250lbs (or less, but I'd like a safety margin) load from a tree in a way that will be easy to airbrush out in Photoshop. 4mm steel cable sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure how to tie the ends so they don't come apart.

So my friend got sick and the game day tomorrow has been called off.

Also, I'm wondering how to suspend a slightly twitchy 250lbs (or less, but I'd like a safety margin) load from a tree in a way that will be easy to airbrush out in Photoshop. 4mm steel cable sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure how to tie the ends so they don't come apart.

Mike, have a look at This.

There are other products too, like gripple, and its easy to use. Infinitely adjustable and reusable fixings.

Just a thought :)

550 para cord is tested at 550lbs/250kg.

If she isn't too high up and isn't moving a lot then just use that.  Since it is cordage you can tie it into belay knots top and bottom and clip into her harness like that.

It's only 7mm diameter and you can get it in colours that can be shopped out easily or just plain black.

Don't try messing around with SWR, it's overkill for this application.

Is paracord nylon based? If so be careful as the knots can pull tighter and risk cutting the skin or cutting off the blood supply to limbs.

Also when they pull tight it can make the knots harder to undo

My rant for today is that I got another call from virgin trying to sell me more I don't need. If it carries on I'm seriously considering cancelling the whole contract

Under no circumstances are you to tie the cord to the person being suspended.

Ever.

You can kill them, cause them to lose limbs or cause embolisms by restricting blood flow by various degrees.

There are procedures and minimum cord diameter for that that you can find on special interest websites but I strongly suggest you do not do that unless you are both experienced experts.

Get a proper under clothing harness.

You can then use the paracord with carabiners and remove it in post.

Properly tied knots of the right type will not bind.

I specifically mentioned a belay knot which produces nice loops.

If you do *fruitcage* it up, just cut the knot off, paracord is cheap.

Learn these knots:

Prusik

Clove hitch

Alpine butterfly knot

Belay knot (figure of eight loop/figure of eight follow through)

With those you can attach line to trees, other lines and carabiners on the end of and in the middle of the line.

Be sure you know what you are doing, if there is any doubt, there is no doubt...

Get a proper under clothing harness.

You can then use the paracord with carabiners and remove it in post.

That is the plan. I intend to use a safety harness with a carabiner, hence the steel cable idea.

Now, I found a website of a guy going by the name Ramblin' Jim, and he pointed me at Dyneema ropes that seem to work even better while being borderline more expensive (under 80p per meter for a 4mm rope rated for 1.4T static load). So I think that a 10m piece with thimble loop at one end should do it.

mike are you really gonna string up a 110kg+ woman?

No, more like 55-60 kg one, if that. Safety overhead is never overkill.

Also, my mood's been shot to *suitcase* and I'm being blatantly stood up. Also, since I'm still banned on Facebook, I can't talk to people from the photography group in order to ask them whether they'd like to chip in for an order from a German LARP shop.

I'm building a collection, not a revolution.

Even if a revolution seems necessary.

Also, I'm tired, stuck at work until 5:30 and I have no idea what to have for tomorrow's dinner (today it's two leftover slices of pepperoni pizza).

Nar, it's a right to have bump fire to get around a full auto law...

Imo, nothing will change. There will be a week or so of outrage and indignation, but the firearms community will apply pressure if needed and things will continue. It's too big a market/money train to stop. No one will dare try.

Sandy Hook really ended the gun control debate in the US. When they decided that dead kids was a price worth paying, that was it. The rest is just noise.

Although, to be fair, I'm generally pro-gun ownership; but the US needs to really tighten down on requirements for safety training, mental health assessments and suchlike.

They won't though, because everyone ignores the first part of the sentence: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." (My emphasis)

The important part, in my view, is 'well-regulated' - it doesn't mean any yahoo can own whatever they please without any rules, there's no prohibition on requiring firearms owners be trained in safe handling and/or marksmanship, or that they be regularly tested for mental stability and anything else deemed relevant.

But the NRA doesn't like that kind of thing for some reason, so it won't happen. Especially not with Dump in charge.

Archived