My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

New peve:

Why is it that no Porsche or LandRover owner ever owns the standard version?

All I see is car x 'S' or 'Sport' or 'Turbo'.

As if you could ever use that here in Belgium.

These 'sport' versions of the Discovery or Rangerover get them just as stuck on wet grassy hills... Not to mention these driver thought of getting unstuck is 'Powaaaah'!

More money than sense...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They get stuck because they've got the wrong tyres, normally. These 'prestige' 4x4 vehicles aren't actually intended to be driven anywhere more demanding than a gravel car park, so they usually come equipped with road tyres suitable for city and highway use.

If you wanted to go greenlaning, you wouldn't be driving one of those in the first place, much less one with city tyres.

They get stuck because they've got the wrong tyres, normally. These 'prestige' 4x4 vehicles aren't actually intended to be driven anywhere more demanding than a gravel car park, so they usually come equipped with road tyres suitable for city and highway use.

If you wanted to go greenlaning, you wouldn't be driving one of those in the first place, much less one with city tyres.

Oh yes, the tires are indeed tarmac tires. And stiffer/ lower suspension, and engine/gearbox tunes for acceleration, and quicker steering response.

Basically, anything a '00 BMW or Audi tailgater would dream of in an SUV.

Make up your mind, you want offroader or sportscar.

-Shakes head-

Yes, I like efficiency as much as the next autist. Inbetween solutions are just that. Neither this nor that. Don't like it.

New peve:

Why is it that no Porsche or LandRover owner ever owns the standard version?

All I see is car x 'S' or 'Sport' or 'Turbo'.

As if you could ever use that here in Belgium.

These 'sport' versions of the Discovery or Rangerover get them just as stuck on wet grassy hills... Not to mention these driver thought of getting unstuck is 'Powaaaah'!

More money than sense...

Ah, it's so great to see them get dug in when they just floor it and spin the wheels. Soft-roaders and Chelsea tractors.

Many winters ago I came back from London to find several cars trapped in the train station car park because some prat in an oversized BMW couldn't handle the ice and had got stuck in the middle of the roadway.

No one seemed to know how to help him so I went and had a chat, told him to keep his foot off the accelerator and gently lift his foot up off the clutch.

Instantly he tried flooring it and just wheelspan, so I told him again to keep his foot off.

As expected, the car started to slowly move and he was able to leave the car park (with no thank you of course).

How these people are allowed to drive is beyond me.

I've found that BMW drivers aren't that bad any more. Audi drivers are predictably aggressive, especially ones in a car a few years old with a private plate to make them seem newer.

Worst drivers in my experience are vauxhalls.

I was going to say this too. Vauxhall drivers are terrible. Absolutely terrible drivers.

I've found that BMW drivers aren't that bad any more. Audi drivers are predictably aggressive, especially ones in a car a few years old with a private plate to make them seem newer.

Worst drivers in my experience are vauxhalls.

Vauxhall drivers are often wannabe Audi drivers but just can't afford it.

The thing is, why would you want to drive a bland car which makes everyone think you're a cockwomble?

I drive a Zafira because it was the largest, cheapest vehicle available on the Motorbility scheme.

If I could have afforded the VW Sharan, I'd have got that instead.

It's looking like I'll need to find the money for a WAV next year, don't know how I'm going to manage that - the cheapest one is a *suitcasey* Citroen and they want over £700 up front for it....

I'll tell you who's the worst.  Bloody Nissan Leaf drivers :P

I know right? Silently flying off at the lights making other car drivers feel inadequate, chuckling smugly to themselves as they pass petrol stations and see the prices. It's disgraceful :P

Now, shall I sign you up for one?

Well, I'm talking 0-60 mainly but it's nice to be able to make progress on the autobahn.  When there's no road works that is. 

I'm guessing cruising at 100/150+ in an EV would drain the battery pretty quickly.  What is a Leaf like maxing out at 90?  Is there a noticeable difference to regular cruising speed?  I've not been in an EV before.

Well, I'm talking 0-60 mainly but it's nice to be able to make progress on the autobahn.  When there's no road works that is. 

I'm guessing cruising at 100/150+ in an EV would drain the battery pretty quickly.  What is a Leaf like maxing out at 90?  Is there a noticeable difference to regular cruising speed?  I've not been in an EV before.

Well mine's 110PS, the new one is 150PS. The great thing about it is no time wasted changing gears, it's just foot down and go.

On the 30kWh doing 90 would probably drop the range down to about 100 miles from the 115 I normally get doing 70mph.

Of course you could splash out on a Tesla S with Ludicrous speed :D

tbh 0-60 times are greatly indicative of initial speed, but utterly useless in 'real world' driving.

more useful would be 40-60 times and, say, 30-10 times.

gives you an idea of 'in gear' acceleration and braking force/speed.

Also, I honestly think that a minimum 'real world' range of 200 miles will be the tipping point for EV's. With a Leaf's range of, what, 115 miles? I can only actually garuntee getting to and home from work once. (30 miles each way) I could arguably eke it out to make 120 miles, presumably by driving at 60mph, but what if it rains? what about the winter when I drive home in the dark and need lights on?

WHAT ABOUT WHEN IT'S COLD!?

Gears are the half the fun for me.  Sure, it sucks if I happen to get stuck on the M25 in standstill traffic.  But I think I would get bored of DCT/PDK or straight up electric.

I thought that too, I absolutely hate automatics (especially my wife's horrible easytronic gearbox, my god who was the *bramston pickle* who came up with that monstrosity!) but the Leaf is such a dream to drive I've not missed having no gear stick.

One day I'll try a Tesla.

tbh 0-60 times are greatly indicative of initial speed, but utterly useless in 'real world' driving.

more useful would be 40-60 times and, say, 30-10 times.

gives you an idea of 'in gear' acceleration and braking force/speed.

Also, I honestly think that a minimum 'real world' range of 200 miles will be the tipping point for EV's. With a Leaf's range of, what, 115 miles? I can only actually garuntee getting to and home from work once. (30 miles each way) I could arguably eke it out to make 120 miles, presumably by driving at 60mph, but what if it rains? what about the winter when I drive home in the dark and need lights on?

WHAT ABOUT WHEN IT'S COLD!?

The 30kWh will easily do 120 miles. As for a 30 mile commute, I do that with no problems. Why wouldn't you plug it in when you get home and take advantage of Economy 7 leccy at 4.9p/kWh?

The new 40kWh should give a real world distance of 155-165 miles, while the real game changer will be the 60kWh with 250 miles, out later next year.

Lights, cabin electrics, horn, rear screen heater etc all run off a 12v lead acid battery and don't affect range.

Cold, like really cold, knocks a few miles off the range but not much, just like with ICE vehicles.

98% of journeys in the UK are less than 50 miles so even a Gen 1 Leaf with a Japanese made 24kWh battery can manage that in the deepest of winters.

Also, I honestly think that a minimum 'real world' range of 200 miles will be the tipping point for EV's. With a Leaf's range of, what, 115 miles? I can only actually garuntee getting to and home from work once. (30 miles each way)

You drive to work, charge it up while you're at work (hopefully), drive home. Charge it overnight if needed. Drive back to work the next day, charge it again.

Same as your phone, stick the bugger on charge at every opportunity...

Don't forget Audi drivers. If anything, they're worse!

I was going to say this too. Vauxhall drivers are terrible. Absolutely terrible drivers.

Nah, round these parts I can single out BMW drivers and cabbies as the absolute scum. Back in the day the VW Golf was a car for those who couldn't afford a BMW - as long as it was black. A black Golf with a sunroof was the unmistakable sign of a chav on the road.

Also, I just cannot physically wake before 8AM. I turned down the heater and opened the window slightly for better sleep, turned out it was too cold in the morning.

Got an honest answer for why the many SUV's in Belgium. Speedbumps. I feel dumb not thinking about it. And indeed. SUV's don't brake for speedbumps.

Also. I am an audi driver.

Am ashamed for my flawed audi brethren.

I bet in the past proper green blooded Citroens would have done well then. I rarely slowed down to speed bumps in my Xantia.

Archived