My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Wifey is back in hospital after coming home on Friday night...

They're now saying it could be endocarditis (which is an infection *inside* the heart) do that's not great. Talking about labelled white cell counts and bone marrow tests and all sorts...

Bad times.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nearly put a nail through my finger today, with a cartridge fired nail gun (hilti if you must know). 

I've been using them for around 20 years, never had an issue. 

Complacency will get you, kids... 

Fortunately just some bruising, but it could have ended up with a 40mm nail through my fingertip, 3 metres up, into a mezzanine ceiling (steel with concrete on top).

For those who don't know, these nails do not come out of concrete once in. I've tried all ways over the years. Angle grinder is the only way. 

I was lucky today! 

Another day in paradise, mate... ;)

Today's minor annoyance: I ordered a G36 hop unit from gunfire, for my TM AEG. Turns out I'd ordered a JG one and they're not interchangeable.

So that's a pain.

Ideally, I'd replace all the hop bodies with metal ones, but they're £20-30 each so I can't afford even one.

So, my idea of making an "evening news" video highlighting some stuff from E3 I'm personally interested in (Anthem, Cyberpunk 2077, Prey) is dead in the water. It's not fresh anymore.

That, and I'm a) banned on Facebook again (for reasons, as usual - ask DarkLite what can you get banned for these days), b) stuff from AliExpress takes a month to get here, c) I have a big shopping list and next to no funds anyway.

There's a DLC for Prey out since Monday, the game itself came out last year.

Also, there's Dying Light 2, which should explain why the first game is heavily discounted on Steam these days.

On the bad things side, I wanted to draw a R6 Siege style icon for my stream of the game (I bought it since it's at half price on Uplay, they have heavy discount for a lot of titles on account of E3), but I can't get around to it. Something bear themed and with a teal background, but I barely have an idea.

I AM *fruitcage* SCREAMING.

Yet another coprolithically moronic *Ubar* left her bag on the metro train this morning. Third week in a row. As they say, "once is an accident, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action". I am almost sure that the *suitcases* running the country want to take over the capital as well (they usually lose the elections unless they pull a bomb scare stunt - that's how they won the only time they did).

Also, I had all of three hours of sleep tonight.

I'm after some opinions on whether I'm being a *rickroll* or not.  I'm pretty sure I'm not

So I'm self employed and I have one primary client I work for.  Worked with them for a number of years.  Get on OK e.t.c.  They have a pricing structure that I follow.  Every now and again they ask me to work outside of standard work hours, often at late notice (all my work is during standard work hours).  The past couple of times I've agreed to do these, I've given them my own price which is considerably more than their standard payment.  They really do not like me doing this.  But hey, if I'm going to give up my weekend/evening I can charge what I like and if they don't want to pay, they can pay someone else less.  If they can find someone else.  I know it's still profitable for them to pay me so much so it's not like they're out of pocket in these unique situations.   Now they're saying I'm compromising the business relationship by charging so much.  It just winds me up as I know I make them a lot of money 95% of the time and when the tables are slightly turned somewhat, they get all pissy.    

It's a tough one. 

My wife is in the same boat, has been dropped and picked up by a client at short notice, and also gets extra work off them at short notice. 

However, she works around our family time, ie not 9-5 so keeps her rate flat as they are her biggest client and wants to keep the relationship sweet. She is probably more timid than I would be with them though. 

Not really an answer, sorry. 

I don't think you're being a *rickroll*. I charge extra for out of hours work (also self-employed for mainly 1 company) , but I generally work a normal 40 hour week now. 

43 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I'm after some opinions on whether I'm being a *rickroll* or not.  I'm pretty sure I'm not

So I'm self employed and I have one primary client I work for.  Worked with them for a number of years.  Get on OK e.t.c.  They have a pricing structure that I follow.  Every now and again they ask me to work outside of standard work hours, often at late notice (all my work is during standard work hours).  The past couple of times I've agreed to do these, I've given them my own price which is considerably more than their standard payment.  They really do not like me doing this.  But hey, if I'm going to give up my weekend/evening I can charge what I like and if they don't want to pay, they can pay someone else less.  If they can find someone else.  I know it's still profitable for them to pay me so much so it's not like they're out of pocket in these unique situations.   Now they're saying I'm compromising the business relationship by charging so much.  It just winds me up as I know I make them a lot of money 95% of the time and when the tables are slightly turned somewhat, they get all pissy.    

You're absolutely fine and doing what I would do in your situation. You've made it clear to us that you're aware of the nature of the relationship i.e. they could go elsewhere, you could go elsewhere, so looks like it won't be a shock if they decide to walk. Obviously with the company being your primary source of income though I would take the time to consider what it would mean if they did walk!

But other than that, yeah increased pricing for unsociable work is part and parcel of business.

Very true.  Tbh, I think they're a bit stuck at the moment in terms of locating competent people so I kind of have them over a barrel.  It would surprise me if they walked.  If they did, they really would not like my backup plan lets just say.  I've started to diversify clients so getting prepared should they wish to cut off their nose to spite their face. 

Archived