My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

22 hours ago, shmook said:

My rant? Dishwasher has packed in. 

And my boiler. Both are old, doubtful parts are available. This could be Spendy. 

But first, let's pull them apart and poke around with screwdrivers! 

Go for it, you're not going to make them more broken are you?

Careful with gas though.  It is a bit explodey.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, amateurstuntman said:

Go for it, you're not going to make them more broken are you?

Careful with gas though.  It is a bit explodey.

Yep, I'm a hands on type, so will attack most things with tools. Although not always obtaining the goal of fixing them... 

Been playing with gas for years. Not died yet! 

That reminds me of a story though, of a gas engineer working on one of those huge gas storage tanks you see in towns, that raise and lower. He was working on top of them. 

At lunchtime, he enjoyed a hot meal. He used to drill a hole in the top of the tank, light the escaping gas and cook lunch. When done, he would blow the flame out and put a pop rivet in the hole. On top of millions of cubic metres of gas.

If it went wrong, it would have levelled half the town... 

On 10/10/2018 at 6:16 PM, shmook said:

Yep, I'm a hands on type, so will attack most things with tools. Although not always obtaining the goal of fixing them... 

Been playing with gas for years. Not died yet! 

That reminds me of a story though, of a gas engineer working on one of those huge gas storage tanks you see in towns, that raise and lower. He was working on top of them. 

At lunchtime, he enjoyed a hot meal. He used to drill a hole in the top of the tank, light the escaping gas and cook lunch. When done, he would blow the flame out and put a pop rivet in the hole. On top of millions of cubic metres of gas.

If it went wrong, it would have levelled half the town... 

Safer than you think.

People are used to thinking about how much gas you need to explode because we are used to rooms full of air, however, gas can't explode without air.

You need an astonishing amount of air to make that amount of gas explosive.
Gaseous LPG is about 250 times the size of liquid gas.
The highest amount of Propane that can be in air as a percentage and it still explode is just under 10%, above that it won't explode.

Below about 2.5% of that it just burns.

So, for an explosion you need an air volume a minimum of 2500 times the volume of liquid gas and it has to be thoroughly mixed.

Practically speaking, flour is much more dangerous.

That is a cool story though, old timers just did whatever they wanted.

2 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Figure I might as well rant here - all very well and good having a big royal wedding for William, Harry etc, but Christ almighty Eugenie is 9th in line to the throne. 9th! She's completely insignificant and (iirc) doesn't perform any royal duties, works full time. 

She is irrelevant but her gran is the queen.

It is reasonable to have your gran at your wedding.

People want to blow up the queen.

Therefore security.

Security costs money.

Having foreigners see a bit of pomp and circumstance increases the value of the UK as a holiday destination.

It all works out in the end.

Her wedding was nowhere near the event that Harry's was, much less William's.

But she *is* royalty, so yes, technically it was a "royal wedding".

And a Stunt says above, if the Queen attends an event, that event is now a public one and requires are whole bunch of public money for security and PR.

Yeah I get how Security works thanks - moreso just the (imo, in a sense) forced spectacle - lots of astroturfing, hype machine etc. various lifestyle articles on her in the preceeding weeks!

I think the thing that rattles me specifically is the royal duties, or lack thereof. Showing up for bashes is one thing, attending events/getting stuck into the various trusts the Royal Family deal with etc is another (rather than just being in the private sector).

Meeting scheduled from 1400 - 1700.  Ambiguous at best agenda.  Roll in to a room of guys asking me if I know what it's about (I had one minor tasking, open up a forecast on a computer, in the meeting request)

I don't have a clue beyond "who is asking for what stuff" for the next 3 months.

First 5 words of the meeting organiser - "Okay, over to you mate"... :waggle:

Decided to get an early start on my parade boots before the Armistice Day Centenary.

I've having a hell of a time with them, must have put about four hours of bulling into each boot and they just refuse to come up. And this is on top of previous-years' efforts.

Finally decided to just strip them back to the leather and start afresh. Good thing I started earlier than usual....

That's odd, considering they have been bulled in the past. I quite enjoy polishing my boots actually! 

My grumble, Google refuses to listen to me. It works when I press the home button, but I have to actively press that/the microphone to get it to listen. Never had an issue before, and can't seem to find an answer. Even asking Google doesn't help... 

All settings activated, voice model retrained and still nothing. 

Anyone have any idea? 

Edit, never mind. Security update hadn't updated. It's sorted now. 

After stripping back and a few more hours, I've got one boot starting to shine up nicely. By tomorrow they should both be decent, then it'll just be putting on a few extra layers to see how close to mirror finish I can get.

I've got a new selvyt cloth on the way, that'll help.

55 minutes ago, Hedganian said:

Hey, the selvyt is on the kit list for both Sandhurst and Cranwell, probably whatever the equivalent is for the Navy and Marines too.

Hey, I was an army cadet. And a cop. 

I THINK I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT*

😂😂😂

*I Don't know what I'm talking about... 

9 hours ago, Hedganian said:

Well yes, but the Centenary is an important event. I don't begrudge a few hours of boot polishing to honour the memory of everyone who served in the Great War.

I feel i'm respecting a minority by not bulling boots to a high standard.  There are lazy soldiers too.

On the selvyt point, I've never got on with them.  Several layers of non-parade shine worked in with the fingers until slightly tacky. Then water bulling with small circles of cotton wool and a dab of (non-shine) polish.  10 minutes, done.

Key the surface well, then a few coats of high gloss black, probably better to get a good brand like hycote or something. Flatten it down then two coats of lacquer, wetsand and finish with a mild cutting compound on a hex pad on the double action polisher.

Finish up with a few coats of your wax of choice, I like dodo juice supernatural hybrid wax.

;)

The selvyt cloth arrived today, and so far I must say I'm not impressed with it. I got better results with my previous cotton wool and water technique. The cloth is supposed to be washable and reusable, so it should save money over all compared to using half a bag of cotton wool balls per boot, but I guess I need more time to master the technique. 

15 hours ago, Hedganian said:

The selvyt cloth arrived today, and so far I must say I'm not impressed with it. I got better results with my previous cotton wool and water technique. The cloth is supposed to be washable and reusable, so it should save money over all compared to using half a bag of cotton wool balls per boot, but I guess I need more time to master the technique. 

Did you wash it first?

And give it a good scrub with a plastic brush (clean, of course) - helps to raise up the fibres, however see my previous post about hating polishing.

So my wrist that I injured almost a month ago is still giving me aggro, so what's the procedure?

Do I go straight to A&E (ER) or see a GP first? Seems a lot of faff speaking to a GP when it's been an issue that long and presumably will need a scan (which most GPs don't have direct access to) but it also doesn't seem to qualify as an A&E  or 111 case and I'd rather not mess the system up.

Archived