My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Tw1tch said:

So my wrist that I injured almost a month ago is still giving me aggro, so what's the procedure?

Do I go straight to A&E (ER) or see a GP first? Seems a lot of faff speaking to a GP when it's been an issue that long and presumably will need a scan (which most GPs don't have direct access to) but it also doesn't seem to qualify as an A&E  or 111 case and I'd rather not mess the system up.

I hurt both my wrists in retrospect quite badly when i *fruitcage*ed up a clean and jerk. I couldn't turn doorknobs or chop veg without pain for atleast 6 weeks and i couldnt put any weight on my wrists gym wise for 3 months. 111 won't tell you anything, go to GP and say you are worried you might have a fracture - they will be able to do a simple manipulation test to see. If not (and its probably not given its been a month) its likely to be a grade 1 strain but wrists can take a very long time to heal compared to other parts of your body. Sorry to say there is very little you can do, keep it mobile and flexible as best you can without pain, consider a forearm massage too.

Don't know about you, but we have one of the best 111 services in the country in Derbyshire. It's very useful. Managers from other areas were coming here to see how to run the service properly.

But yeah, to be honest, you shouldn't have delayed getting attention for such an injury, if it *is* a fracture then you can cause more damage or it could start healing at the wrong angles and then it's a huge problem.

If you have unusual symptoms for more than a day or two, see your GP. It's what they're there for.

See, I always thought it was a case of leave it a couple of weeks for what you think is a muscle injury, unfortunately that then extended due to me being on leave (a perfect time for it to heal I'd imagine). I'm always quite reluctant to see a doctor unless I'm sure I need to as I don't like wasting NHS resources.

And now I can't even get my frigging Rota for the next two weeks to organise an appointment as everyone at work is ignoring me.

1 minute ago, Tw1tch said:

See, I always thought it was a case of leave it a couple of weeks for what you think is a muscle injury, unfortunately that then extended due to me being on leave (a perfect time for it to heal I'd imagine). I'm always quite reluctant to see a doctor unless I'm sure I need to as I don't like wasting NHS resources.

And now I can't even get my frigging Rota for the next two weeks to organise an appointment as everyone at work is ignoring me.

Absolutely right but wrists take aaaages to recover. Let the GP tell you this (you will take up 15 mins of NHS time, big deal) but yea i doubt any permanent damage but it will be a PITA for another month i reckon. One day you'll wake up and it won't hurt and you'll be back to normal.

Based on a description of the symptoms, the operators can direct you to the appropriate service - GP, MIU, A&E, etc. That's all. Obviously they can't diagnose it over the phone.

You should be allowed time off for a doctor's appointment whatever your shift, just book one. As soon as possible.

Going to the doctor with a genuine problem is not a 'waste of resources' it's literally what those resources are there for. It's not like you've got a runny nose and you're heading to A&E.

If anything, you could make a case that delaying the assessment will have made it more difficult to treat, so more resources will be needed compared to if you had gone sooner.

Just a thought for the future.

I managed to bend my wrist too much when it broke my fall (the perils of Jacuzzis, tiles and beer), and bruised half way up my forearm.  I could barely put any weight on it.  My nurse friend told me to go to A&E.  They had a look, manipulated it a bit but didn't seem to think the pain was enough to do anything about it and just said it would heal on it's own.  Still clicks every now and again but seems OK. 

Go to your gp if you can get a timely appointment. Walk in centre if not. 

Our 111 service will basically default to 'we aren't sure so had best send an ambulance', which is horrendous. Maybe try yours though. 

Don't go to A&E with a month-old wrist injury. It's not an emergency. 

Yeah I'm booked in to see my GP, not until the 29th but it's the earliest they had. Asked them to notify me of cancellations. Need to see my GP about polycystic kidney disease screening because apparently the blood test being negative isn't convincing enough.

Does anyone use heinnie Haynes any more?

I must admit, I have an affinity with them. I've spend a small fortune over the last few years, and they have been my 'go to' site if I wanted something. Customer service was always exemplary.

however, over the last few months, their prices just seem crazy. They were always the cheapest, but now they just seem to be seeing how much they can rinse from people. I get they stock some high end items, and those manufacturers have a set price point. But still.

An example, I bought a knife when I became a cop. A strong, no nonsense locker that has served me well. It's gone up £75 in the last 4 and a half years. Again, maybe not all on them, but that's a hell of an increase. Same materials, same design.

I've always tried to use them, but prices are just silly now.

First world problems, I know. It's a shame though. 

Aye, main thing I'm worried about us keeping my phone charged as it's my alarm clock and got a shift tomorrow.

But it'll survive the night with a top up from my power bank. It'll be weird showering by torch though (our bathrooms have no windows what so ever). I'll survive, quite amused actually. And helps me plan what I need in case power goes down for longer (why do I have no candles, or at least a decent lantern?).

Archived